Oblivious to a Certain Deer

Oblivious to a Certain Deer

 

(P.S. Sorry if the quality of this chappie isn't up to standard... I didn't plan at all before I started this chapter--I just wrote whatever right off my head)

 

tumblr_m89fw8XYhu1rqn061.jpg

 

Luhan on the insides of his mouth as he watched the boy infront of him go through the photoshoot. Luhan realised that he was frowning, still upset from their little fall-out from before. He couldn't help it--the corners of his mouth twitched downwards as he recalled their earlier conversation. 

Luhan swung down Sehun's hand angrily, once they were safely out of their fans' sight. 

"Didn't I tell you not to hold my hand on stage?" Luhan's voice was cold, and Sehun sort of reeled back in surprise. 

"You did," Sehun admitted, one hand behind his head, looking for all the world like a kicked puppy, "But I thought that was just you in a bad mood. I didn't know you actually meant it..." He trailed off, unsure of what to say, uncertain about what to do to appease his livid hyung. 

Luhan took a deep breath, the air hissing past his teeth as he tried to get a hold of his temper. He was being silly, yes, but he couldn't help it. Holding hands with Sehun hurt, and Luhan didn't want to have to go through it anymore. 

"Well now you know." Luhan balled his hands up into fists, and jammed them into his pockets. 

"But manager hyung told me to--" Sehun tried explaining himself. 

Luhan cut him off. Luhan hardly ever got angry--he was too much of a happy, smiley person--but when he did blow his top, boy was he scary. Sehun's wide eyes followed Luhan's every movement.

"That's the problem, idiot." Luhan muttered, softly so that he was the only one to hear. 

"What?" Sehun leaned forwards. 

Luhan didn't answer--didn't want to--because he was afraid. Instead, he gave Sehun's shoulder a shove and stormed off into the van, and pretended to be asleep when the rest of the members finally found their way into the vehicle after finishing up backstage. 

Luhan stuck a finger inbetween his eyebrows to smooth out his frown, before the staff members pegged him down as a grouchy person, and put him in danger of being the subject of nasty rumours flying around. No. Getting all sulky here was only going to gain him a bad reputation and a couple of wrinkles. Luhan tried out a smile, and caught sight of himself in a mirror off-set. 

Luhan didn't like the way only his mouth moved with the smile. It looked fake. Luhan concentrated, and tried again, and this time, the smile came a little easier, a little more natural. Maybe the fans would look at the photos taken today and believe that he truly was as happy a person he strived to show he was on stage and on variety shows. 

Luhan turned his attention to Sehun again. Luhan's eyes travelled from Sehun's perfectly messed up hair, sticking up in impossible angles that just seemed to make him look even hotter than he usually was. And below that y mess was Sehun's beautiful face. Luhan studied his features as discreetly as he could. As the lightbulbs flashed and Sehun changed poses, and the photographer praised the boy, Luhan wondered how anyone could be so perfect. 

Sehun had a most beautiful face. Sehun had a better-than-wonderful body ratio (those long legs!), Sehun wasn't suffocating from an impossible crush. Sehun seemed to have it all really. Luhan grumbled to himself, and blew his fringe out of his eyes, sparking off a frenzy amongst the stylist noonas, who scrambled over with their "first-aid kit" to save his carefully styled hair. Luhan bobbed his head apologetically at them, and unwittingly made things worse. 

"Luhan!" The photographer looked up from the screen of his camera, satisfied with the photos taken of Sehun (no surprise really, Luhan mused to himself. Photos tended to turn out great when the subjects were beautiful to start with).

"Coming!" Luhan bobbed his head towards the noonas who'd just finished their life-saving work, making them produce nervous noises, eyeing his freshly done-up hair. 

He passed Sehun on the way, and glanced away from the boy awkwardly. It wasn't that he was still angry--Luhan's temper tended to rise fast and sizzle away equally quickly--but it was kind of uncomfortable facing him at the moment. If Luhan was being completely honest at the moment, he'd admit that he was ashamed of his earlier (unhyung-like) behaviour. 

A clap on his shoulder slowed him down. 

"Fighting." Sehun gave him a small smile, "Do your best."

Before Luhan could return the gesture, Sehun turned around and walked off, and Luhan was torn between running after him, flinging his arms around him, apologising for his apalling behaviour, or heeding the photographer's increasingly impatient calls for him to hurry up. 

Luhan chose the second option, hurrying on set, throwing a glance over his shoulder. The room was too crowded with stylist noonas and coordi noonas and managers, and Luhan couldn't spot Sehun. 

Sehun sat down in the most secluded corner he could find in the room (granted, there was Lay sprawled out on a chair next to him, and it was still a little squeezy, and Sehun still had to make room for Lay's lolling head, but the room really was overcrowded, and this was the next best thing to peace and quiet). Sehun didn't really like all the hustle and bustle of photoshoots. He liked taking his own sweet time about things, he hated rushing about. 

Sehun turned his attention to where Luhan was making the most drool-worthy expressions at the camera. Sehun watched, riveted. Luhan's smile was a little forced, Sehun noted, and it reminded him of what had happened earlier, on stage. 

"Go out there, and do some skinship with Luhan hyung. The fangirls love it." The managers made a point of telling Sehun before he stepped up on stage. 

"But--" Sehun thought back to the last time he'd done that. Luhan never really seemed to like the skinship on stage, and the last performance, he'd looked ready to bite Sehun's head off once they'd gotten backstage. 

"It's fanservice, fanservice." The managers tried to wave his doubts away. "Do it for EXO's sake."

EXO's sake. 

There were no two ways about it then. Sehun steeled himself before stepping up on stage. There was the usual performance, and the fan chants, and the usual hanging about onstage awkwardly, passing the mike down the line of members to answer questions. And then there was the not-so-discreet couple fanservice: Baekyeol, some Kaisoo, maybe some Taoris. And Hunhan.

Sehun had fixed his grin upon his face, and taken Luhan's hand in his, to the hysteric fans' delight. Sehun winced imperceptibly at the thought of all the new gifs and pictures, proof of the small action. Luhan's body had stiffened up too, as his head whipped around to look at Sehun, and just for a moment, a flash of sadness went through his eyes, and Sehun felt even worse. Why the expression? Did Luhan really hate being shipped with him that badly (to be very honest, Sehun actually quite liked it, although he'd rather die than admit this to anybody)? Was Luhan hurt that he'd not taken his words seriously?

The little fall-out afterwards didn't help much.

Sehun linked his fingers togther and rested his chin on them, eyes still glued to Luhan's figure across the room. Sehun noticed how once the bulb flashed, Luhan's shoulders sagged a little, then shot right back up for the next photo. He must be tired, and stressed--Luhan's schedule was even more busy than his own. Sehun thought about the stress Luhan must be going through, and felt even crummier about upsetting Luhan earlier on. Maybe he should have a word with the managers. Let them ease off the piling up of Luhan schedule a little. Make them understand that Luhan didn't like the forced skinship. 

 Why did Luhan hate the skinship so much? Sehun still didn't know the answer, and the question gnawed at him on the inside. Luhan seemed fine with exhibiting it with Xiumin hyung, and if Sehun was being perfectly honest, he got a little jealous sometimes, by the way Luhan slung his arm so casually around Xiumin as they walked off stage together, by the way Luhan never glared at Xiumin when the boy sidled up next to him.

Maybe Luhan just didn't like him much. Sehun's shoulders sagged even lower than Luhan's.

Sehun felt like he didn't know anything anymore. He shielded his face from the bright lights for a while, thinking, then stood up and walked towards the managers. Even if Luhan didn't seem to like him, the boy was a person Sehun held (a little too) close to his heart, and he wanted to do something to make his life easier, even if it was just for a little while. 

"Manager hyung!" Sehun found the one he was looking for, and took hold of his arm, and tugged him away from the group. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Luhan searched for Sehun once his photo-taking session was over. It had become almost a routine now, searching for Sehun in the crowded room, spotting him, moving towards him, then thinking better of it, and keeping away. Luhan had given in to his delight in spending time with his favourite dongsaeng too many times in the past, and he didn't want to be found out. 

No. He'd rather hold his mixed-up, chewed-up feelings to himself, than suffer the consequences of coming clean. 

Luhan spotted Sehun a little way off, speaking to someone. Luhan's eyes widened as he recognised the person Sehun was talking with. 

Why was Sehun talking to EXO-M's manager? What business did he have with the guy? Luhan's curiosity was piqued, and it combined with the attraction Luhan felt for Sehun, and made it so that Luhan couldn't keep away. He walked towards them, striding as purposefully as he could, trying not to seem nosy or desperate for a certain dongsaeng's company. 

Before he reached them however, the two people seemed to have reached a concession, and separated, the manager hyung going back to the group of managers on the other side of the room, and Sehun spotting Luhan and walking over. 

"What was that about?" Luhan nodded towards the manager. He noticed the way Sehun's eyes seemed dull, and the way he didn't seem to have the same air of energy to him as before. 

"You don't have to worry anymore," Sehun managed a watery smile at Luhan, "He understands now. You won't have to go through any more skinship with me." 

Luhan blinked. 

"What?"

Sehun shrugged, starting to move off. "I spoke to them, and told them how you hated doing things like that. Don't worry, they'll not force us to do fanservice like that again." And then his voice lowered a notch as he turned back. "So don't be mad at me anymore, okay?"

Oh. Luhan didn't know whether it was the unexpectedness of Sehun's words, or the guilt that was eating him up inside already, but Luhan sort of snapped for the second time that day. He unged forward, grabbed hold of Sehun's hand (Sehun jumped in surprise, looked down at their intertwined fingers, and smiled like an idiot, then realised what he was doing and tried out a poker face). Luhan dragged Sehun out of the room, shouting a promise over his shoulder at the manager hyungs to be quick. 

Luhan dragged Sehun as far as the corridor leading to the toilets, a quiet place rarely disturbed by visitors, and unwatched by the numerous security cameras in the building. Luhan dropped Sehun's hand, and realised how hard he was breathing. There was a lump in his throat too, and his eyes stung. 

Luhan dashed the tears away viciously with the back of his hand. Now wasn't the time to cry. He'd bawl his eyes out in the privacy of their dorm later. Now was the time to talk. Luhan raised his eyes to find Sehun staring at him, confusion and concern written all over his face. 

"Why?" Luhan wanted it to sound like a demand, but his throat closed on him, and the words came out as a hoarse whisper. 

"Why what?" Sehun looked more bewildered by the second. 

"Why did you tell them that I hate it?"

"You obviously do!" Sehun was beginning to feel agitated too. "You always look so upset, and I just feel so bad for making you go through all that crap!" He'd just been trying to help his hyung out. All he seemed to be capable of was making things worse, it seemed. 

"I don't hate it," Luhan was practically sobbing now, and he could have kicked himself for it, if he hadn't been nearly doubled up with the effort of swallowing his tears, catching his breath, and trying to speak at the same time. 

"Huh?" Sehun bent forwards, trying to catch sight of Luhan's face.

"It's just that--all the hand holding, the hugs, the smiles. It's what the managers tell you to do. That's what I hate. You're always so oblivious, and it hurts and I... I..." Luhan had so many things he wanted to tell Sehun, but no idea how to say the words. 

"Hey," Sehun patted Luhan's back awkwardly. "What are you talking about?"

"I don't like it that it's all for show. There's no emotion, nothing, behind the little things we do on stage. It's just a performance. It's work, and... and..." Luhan was hicupping now. 

"I don't understand..." Sehun didn't want to believe what he was hearing. 

"Oh it all." Luhan finally straightened up, hoped that his makeup wasn't all ugly and smudged, and took the biggest risk in his life.

Threading his hands through Sehun's hair (I'm sorry stylist noonas! A voice muttered at the back of his head), Luhan linked them together at the back of Sehun's head, and leaned forward, and crashed their lips togther. 

Luhan's kiss was frantic, lips melding over Sehun's, hands tugging at the boy's hair, trying impossibly to get even closer. And then  Sehun responded, and Luhan's heart soared giddily. Grabbing hold of Luhan's waist, Sehun flipped them both, so that Luhan was the one with his back pressed up against the wall. Sehun's hand came up, framing and angling Luhan's face so that tongue could be added to their mess of a clumsy first kiss. 

They broke away several breathless heartbeats later, and they stared at each other, gasping for air. Sehun's eyes were so dark, so intense, that they seemed to bore into Luhan's very soul, threatened to drown him in the seemingly bottomless pools of black...

Luhan hicupped. 

Sehun laughed. 

"How long?" Sehun asked. He didn't elaborate--didn't have to. Luhan knew well enough what he meant. 

"Long enough." Luhan brushed the hair out of his eyes, and Sehun's fingers came up to help him. "I was the fifteenth member on your fanclub." Luhan felt like boasting. 

"I joined your fancafe too..." Sehun admitted under his breath. Luhan heard him though. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" Sehun felt like strangling someone, he just couldn't decide who to start with--himself, for being such a coward, and not daring to admit his feelings even to himself; or Luhan, who'd never confessed either. 

"I thought about it," Luhan potested, resting his head on Sehun's shoulder, marvelling at how easy it all was now, "I even dropped hints, like how I only wanted you to come along with me to the bubble tea shops, like how I make it a point to skype with you. You were just so thick." Luhan shut his eyes, and breathed in. 

"I'm not the only oblivious one." Sehun smiled when Luhan's breath tickled his neck slightly. "You were pretty bad at noticing the way I tried to tell you--I don't text each hyung goodnight everyday. Only you."

"Luhan! Sehun!" Their manager's shouting came some distance away. The boys sprang apart. Sehun grinned, took hold of Luhan's hand, twining their fingers together. 

"I think I have alot of re-explaining to do."

And then he looked dead in Luhan's eyes, just to make sure he was right. He didn't want to cause any more unnecessary grief in both their lives. 

"So how about the fanservice?" Sehun didn't blink as he waited for Luhan's answer. 

Luhan grinned. 

"Sounds pretty good to me." 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There! Fluffeh, fluffeh, fluffehhh. I hope you enjoyed it! Subscribe, comment and vote up if you liked it <33. Also, if you are a Baekyeol shipper or Kaisoo shipper, don't forget to check out my oneshot collection, OCD (http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/429688). The Kaisoo chapter is the first chapter, and the seventh chapter will the be Baekyeol chapter!