He's on the other side

Agyrophobia

 

“Luhan I’m bored,” Minseok began as both he and Luhan sat on the green couch that sat in the middle of his apartment barely watching the idiotic movie screening on the television “Let’s play soccer.”

 

“But it’s raining…” Luhan trailed off, soccer in the rain did sound more exciting than watching television. The two had played soccer in the rain on multiple occasions. They learned that playing in inclimate weather was more exciting than basic sunny weather. Sunny was over-rated. Rain made it harder to dribble down the wet slippery field, which made making a goal even more difficult than it already was. Whoever won by the end of the game was clearly the best soccer player, and it was always Luhan who had won unless he purposely lost just so his friend could feel better about his soccer playing. He’d rather have Minseok smiley and bragging than upset and pouty. Lastly, they’d both celebrate over soup from the shop below Minseok’s apartment for the soon to come colds they were going to have from staying out in the rain. “Let’s go.”

 

Minseok hopped off the couch with a smile, heading over to the closet for his cleats, jacket, and soccer ball. Luhan trailed behind him also getting what he needed for their sudden outing, they were ready in 7 minutes, record time.

 

  The first step outside and they were both greeted with cold heavy drops raindrops trickling through their locks of hair and the fresh smell of rain enticing their nostrils.

 

“Do you want to race to the end of the street?” Luhan asked Minseok who was already soaked from the rain, breath visible from the chilly weather.

 

“What are you 5? We haven’t raced since were 11 years old.” Minseok joked.

 

“I’m 5 at heart, you’re just afraid because you know you’re going to lose.” Luhan stuck out his tongue just to tick the latter off.

 

“I know for a fact that I’d win if we raced.”

 

“Would not.”

 

“Would to”

 

“Would not”

 

“Ready, Set…” Minseok challenged. He wasn’t about to be called a loser so suddenly, “Go.”

 

They both took off running down the street. The cold wind rain smacking them softly on the face and rain drops getting in their eyes. Minseok had been in the lead, his short legs picking up a faster pace than Luhan but that didn’t mean Luhan wasn’t right behind him, because he was.

 

Heart rates skyrocketing up to a pace that left the taste of blood and iron in their mouths as they approached the end of the block, Minseok still in the lead. That was until Luhan reached his hand out and pulled on the hood of Minseoks gray sweater. Force so strong that Minseok actually stumbled to the side. Luhan’s cheating ways made him reach the end of the block first.

 

He had won, Supposedly

 

“Ha! I told you I would win!” Luhan cheered in victory. Minseok came a short time after outraged by his best friends cheating.

 

“You cheated!” Minseok screamed as he pushed Luhan with too much force. What was supposed to be light push ended up being a full on push that sent Luhan wobbling into the street to regain his balance. The timing of the push couldn’t have been any more unlucky than it already was.

 

The sound of someone’s foot slamming on the brakes rang through Minseok’s ears.

 

As if time slowed down Minseok watched in horror as his Luhan stood in the middle of the street stunned as the blue Toyota Tundra hydroplaned in his direction. The last glance he could make of his best friend still alive was the single tear rolling down Luhan’s cheek when the car was just centimeters away. The boom of the crash shattered his ear drums

 

Minseok ran over to the accident still in shock, his best friend completely mutilated and deformed under the car, blood withdrawing from his cold blue lifeless body by the gallons it seemed. He tried to wake Luhan up but the younger remained inert, chest not even rising. He was gone.

Minseok wasn’t able to grasp that fact. The more he shouted for Luhan to wake up, the more reality hit him at the lost of his best friend. He was blinded from all the tears, his vision too blurry to look at Luhan’s body. A masculine pair of hands dragged him away, a police officer to be specific. How long had he been there trying to revive his best friend? Who had called the police?

He tried to fight back, refusing to leave his best friend but the officers force was too great. Red and blue was the only thing that beamed in his eyes, his heart beat drowning out the ambulance sirens.

 

Reality came crashing down when he realized he killed his best friend.

 

He sat outside on the sidewalk., the incident being only 6 months ago. Every day he’d leave his stuffy apartment and watch the street the incident happened at from afar. Although the street had been cleared of the wreckage and the corpse Minseok could still see the accident in full detail. Ever since the accident he never promised to cross the street again because he’d remember too much. As crazy as it sounds, Minseok had kept the promise and did not dare take a step near the gravel. All that he needed was on one side of the street: His house, the convenient store, and the noodle shop he worked in, so there was no reason for him to cross.

 

“Minseok!” Someone called his name out. He thought it was the group of kids that liked to harass him because of his fears so he ignored it. “Minseok look over here!”

 

The voice was coming from the other side of the street and it almost sounded like Luhan. ‘That couldn’t be, I killed him’ he mumbled to himself but still looked up to see who was calling him. The ongoing traffic had moved along and there on the other side of the sidewalk was a man that looked just like Luhan before the accident. Shaggy sangria red hair like Luhan, same doe eyes and plump pink lips like Luhan, the same exact faded blue hoodie and gray sweats like Luhan...was it actually him?

 

No matter how many times Minseok blinked Luhan was still on the other side of the street smiling softly at him.

 

“Minseok are you ignoring me?” The figure asked and Minseok wasn’t sure if he should answer or not. His throat too dry to even give an answer so he just shook his head. “If you aren’t ignoring me why won’t you talk to me?”

 

“Because I thought you died...I killed you.” Minseok choked out trying his hardest not to let the tears fall down. He knew he was going to go insane sooner or later. He knew he was hallucinating.

 

“Well I did die…but it wasn’t your fault. You know what they say ‘cheaters never win’” Luhan recited.

 

“If you’re dead how are you here?”

 

“We used to always talk about ghost silly… I am a ghost.” Minseok didn’t have much to say, only stare at his ghostly best friend. “We never had our soccer game."

 

Minseok was wondering if that's why the ghostly Luhan returned, to remind him of the accident even more. The reason they never had their soccer game was because of Luhan's departure on Earth.

 

 

"You should go get your soccer ball so we can go to the field and play.”

 

“You’re a ghost Luhan you can’t play.” Minseok stated. If he remembered the ghost movies he watched in the past correctly, ghost could go through any real object.”

 

“Minseok my friend you have watched too many stereotypical ghost movies. All of that nonsense is crap, I can touch real objects. So go get your soccer ball and come play soccer with me.”

 

“I can’t…” Minseok started and before Luhan could ask why he stated his reason. “ I promised to never cross the street again since the accident.”

 

Luhan’s smile fell into a frown as he heard his best friends words. Had his childish actions really caused his friend to be scarred like this? The last time he had saw Minseok was when his hair was freshly cut and dyed a hazel color also his skin had a healthy tan to it, now the boy had his hair grown out to his shoulders, he looked like he’s dealt with insomnia for months, and his skin was pale. If he hadn’t cheated, his best friend would have never been in this state.

 

“Minseok you have to realize that it wasn’t your fault. The whole accident was my fault. You should be out living your life, not dwelling on the past like this. One day you are going to have to cross the street.”

 

Minseok looked at the gravel before shaking his head. As stubborn as he sounded, a promise was a promise and he feared the streets.

 

“I respect your decision but just know I will be waiting for you on the other side if you decide to cross the street, hopefully that day will come soon.” Luhan said before the sun finally set and the moon arose. It was getting late and it was time for Minseok to attempt to fall asleep. He waved Luhan a farewell before rushing to his apartment.

 

The first thing he did when he inside the apartment was upchuck his lunch he hadn’t digested in his stomach. He felt sick, his head was spinning as he rinsed his mouth out, trying his hardest to get the acidic taste from his mouth, Was he really going to face his fears and cross the street?

 

He stretched out on the couch and let his thoughts take him away as the moonlight illuminated through his window. The only thing he thought about was Luhan’s words.

 

‘You should be living your life, not dwelling on the past-’ also ‘ One day you’re going to have to cross the street.’

 

Was it really his time to move on? Maybe that’s why Luhan had returned so suddenly. That’s how the movies worked, the ghost couldn’t be put to rest until what was left unresolved be solved. Was his phobia really holding his best friend back from full freedom after death? He had already done enough by killing the poor guy, maybe it was time for him to cross. Although it was going to be painful he was going to do it for the sake of his friends freedom, he was going to do it when the sun came up.

 

Another sleepless night passed and the sun appeared in the sky, today was the day that he’d face his fear. Taking a deep breath of the stuffy air he placed his feet on the ground before heading to the closet to get the soccer ball that he still had after the incident, blood stains still distinguishable.

 

Walking down the sidewalk he felt nothing but fright stream through his body. The end of the pavement was coming near, all he wanted to do was chicken out and stay in his apartment until he died from lack of sunlight, but he didn’t want his friend to remain stuck on this world. He was going to set his friend free.

 

As expected, Luhan was still sitting across the street. A smile noticeable on his face once he caught the sight of Minseok.

 

“I brought the soccer ball.” Minseok stated before staring at the street. Was he really about to cross?

 

“Good we can play once you cross, but take your time when crossing. I don’t want you to rush into something you don’t want to do. You can always wait until another day I will be here.”

 

“No I’m going to do it today.” Minseok started his steps quickly as he neared the crosswalk but the closer he got the slower his steps got. His anticipation to cross as quickly as possible now gone once he stopped completely at the cross walk.

 

I can’t do this, I can’t do this, I can’t do this

 

He kept telling himself as he held back tears. He looked up to see Luhan still smiling at him, waiting patiently on the other side.

 

“I have to do it for Luhan.” Minseok squeezed the soccer ball tight in his hand, placing his right foot on the gravel. Then it exploded like a bomb, his memories. The vision of Luhan deformed and bloodless percolated through his mind and he cringed, shutting his eyes tight and screaming at the thoughts.

 

“Minseok don’t be alarmed just remember I’m right here.” Luhan shouted over Minseok’s high pitched yelling.

 

“It’s all my fault!” Minseok yelled as tears trickled down his cheeks. He took another step and the sound of the car brakes slamming screeched through his ears.

 

“It is not your fault! Tell yourself it’s not your fault!” Luhan ordered.

 

Minseok shut his eyes so tight that he began to see colors. Over and over in his head he told himself that it wasn’t his fault. The more he said it the more the pictorial images began to fade away. He took two steps before saying again that what happened wasn’t his fault. The vivid noises now hushing down into whispers.

 

“L-luhan it’s working!” Minseok screamed, still in shock that he was crossing the street.

 

“I’m so proud of you buddy! Come on you’re almost there!” Luhan shouted.

 

He had took three more steps before a smile actually grew on his face. Everything was going well. The sun was shining brightly and this was the day his friend was going to be set free, this was his day to start living and nothing could bring down the moment.

 

Except for the fact that he didn’t look both ways before crossing the street.

 

The sound of a foot slamming on the brakes was the last thing that echoed through Minseok’s ear.