Tan

A Thousand Paper Cranes

Daehyun fixes the strap of his backpack, rubbing tiredly at his eyes as the sun shines through the window in the hallway and straight into his face. The days have grown short to the point that the sun is setting just as he finishes his last class. Daehyun looks down to avoid the glare of the sun, gaze falling onto the courtyard below. There’s a large oak tree right in front of the window, peeling bark and branches so bare that Daehyun can see the ground easily. Someone—a male, by the distinct figure—is standing by the base of the tree looking up, Daehyun observes. He slows his step to a stop, pulse thundering in his ears, and follows the stranger’s gaze to the sky. Somehow, Daehyun knows. He knows this person—how or why doesn’t matter.

Daehyun doesn’t even process his thought properly before he races to the nearest exit. He dodges a couple people in his way and nearly collides with the wall in his haste, running down the stairs and through the building, out to the courtyard. He’s panting as he makes it into the garden, eyes wide and wild and backpack feeling as heavy as a ton of bricks on his back. The boy who he had seen only moments ago is gone, not a trace left behind. Daehyun glances around him, burning with embarrassment and relieved that no one had seen his mad dash outside. He feels foolish and knows he doesn’t have any grounds to believe that the person in the courtyard had been the sender of the cranes. Still, the feeling of a missed opportunity remains, no matter how much Daehyun tries to quash it. The feeling follows him for the rest of his day, all throughout work and on his way back to the campus late that night.

His phone buzzes is in his jacket pocket, and Daehyun pulls it out reluctantly, exposing his fingers to the biting winter air. It is a message from Himchan, offering a hot drink if Daehyun accompanies him to the coffee shop again. It is nearing ten at night, but Himchan assures him that the café stays open nearly twenty-four hours a day. It’s a college student haven, essentially. Daehyun finds himself passing by the turn to the dormitory buildings and heading in the direction of the shop. A hot drink would be really nice, I suppose, he texts in response, and hurries on his way.

He shudders at the welcoming gust of warm air that wraps around him as he steps into the small eatery. He inhales the pleasant smell of coffee beans and hot chocolate, unwinding the dark red woolen scarf around his neck. He doesn’t go outside without a scarf anymore, knowing well that his history of losing his voice during the winter months will do him no good in his classes. The winter winds have long begun, sneaking underneath his clothes and chilling him to the bone. Daehyun huffs warm breath onto his hands and waves weakly at Himchan across the café. He strides to the counter, where Himchan meets him and hands off his credit card. He mutters something about being too nervous in the presence of Jongup to purchase the drink himself, and Daehyun has to turn his head away so that he doesn’t laugh. Himchan retreats to his booth as Daehyun decides on another hot latte.

“If you wouldn’t mind, please take a seat while I make it. I’ll bring your latte out to you,” Jongup offers. It’s outside of the normal procedure, where customers pick up their orders themselves, but Daehyun doesn’t think too hard on it and smiles gratefully.

“Thank you,” he says, tilting his head in a polite nod. Daehyun slumps into the seat facing Himchan, pulling off his backpack and thick coat and placing them to the side. Himchan has chosen the most secluded spot in the shop, a booth under a light that is dimmer than the others, lagging behind and close to shutting off entirely. They’re in a corner situated somewhat behind the counter, hidden from view by the jut of the wall.

Himchan has his notebooks spread over the table, backpack leaning against the wall and textbook open to the middle of a chapter. “I like this little alcove,” he mumbles.

“It’s quiet,” Daehyun agrees, and starts to unload his homework onto the table as well. He is just getting started when Jongup interrupts him, placing Daehyun’s latte carefully out of the way of any papers.

“Um. I was told to pass this onto you, sir,” Jongup says, lifting a plate of strawberry cheesecake for Daehyun to see. “It was paid for by an earlier customer. He said I should give you this with it.” Jongup reaches into his apron pocket, pulling tan paper out.

“Oh. I—thank you,” Daehyun stammers in surprise, taking the offered items. “Is there any chance you can tell me who asked you to deliver these?”

Jongup shakes his head. “Unfortunately, I was told to keep his identity a secret.”

“Alright. Thank you,” Daehyun reiterates. Jongup smiles and returns to his position at the counter. Daehyun catches Himchan watching him out of the corner of his eyes, trying and failing to be subtle.

The paper, Daehyun knows from the familiar folds, is in fact a crane. Himchan has finally torn his gaze away from the barista and focuses instead on the bird in Daehyun’s hand.

“What’s that?”

“A paper crane. I’ve been getting two of these every day from someone.”

“From who?” Himchan presses.

“If only I knew,” Daehyun mutters.

“That’s kind of romantic, you know?” Himchan says. “Like, maybe someone’s trying to get your attention because they like you.”

“It’s nothing like that,” Daehyun denies. He doesn’t say that he maybe wishes it was.

Himchan isn’t reassured, and the way he eyes Daehyun as he ducks his head and scribbles hastily into his notebook is unsettling in its intensity. Daehyun can only relax when Himchan finally relents, turning to his own tasks. They spend the night silently completing their assignments, smiling sympathetically at each other when either one of them releases the occasional low whine of frustration. Himchan finishes first, quietly divulging a little information about Jongup as he packs away his supplies.

“We’re supposed to pair up with someone from another arts major for our next project. I figured I wanted to do something different this year, instead of choosing an instrument major for a duet, I thought I could do something with dance and the janggu. I saw him entirely by accident on a tour of the practice rooms, but,” Himchan zips his backpack, “he was amazing, Daehyun. You should have seen the way he moved—it was like water. He’s really talented,” Himchan says wistfully.

“You should ask him to work with you,” Daehyun suggests. He figures he’s done enough for the night, and puts his things aside.

Himchan shakes his head. “I couldn’t do it.”

“Why not?”

“I just—can’t. I’ll find someone else to work with.”

Daehyun wants to push for more, but Himchan is already sliding out of his seat, thanking Daehyun for a pleasant night.

“Tomorrow night as well?” Himchan asks.

Daehyun nods and bids Himchan good night.

 

#272: Enjoy the cheesecake and make sure to stay warm.

 

 


 

 

a/n: #stalker youngjae

orz I wasted so much time looking up the perfect picture of a cheescake that I didn't finish my homework. lord help me.
-Jess