~twenty-four~

I Could Walk Through My Garden Forever

“Zelo said you were really shaken up last week,” Yongguk said sternly. It was Monday morning and I was taking the bus to school since Jonghyun had something to do. “What happened?”

I silently cursed Zelo and his big mouth. Trust him to go mouthing off to Yongguk of all people. “Nothing happened,” I lied. “I just sort of freaked myself out over nothing. It’s not a big deal.”

“Narae,” Yongguk said warningly.

I sighed, caving. “Fine,” I grumbled. “Someone has been picking on me at school and it’s really been getting under my skin.”

“I thought everyone stopped picking on you since you started dating that rich kid,” Yongguk pointed out.

I sighed again, propping my knees up on the back of the seat in front of me. “Yeah, it had stopped. But now someone is picking on me again. And it’s worse than ever before. Whoever it is destroyed my notes for class, spray painted obscenities on my locker that I was then expected to pay to replace it, and then, last week, someone followed me home. That’s why I was so freaked out.”

“Wait, someone followed you home?” Yongguk repeated, and his anger was quite obvious even though the phone. “Isn’t that rich boyfriend of yours supposed to be keeping you safe?”

I rolled my eyes. “He does keep me safe,” I assured my old friend. “Nothing has really happened. I’m safe. And he doesn’t know that anyone has been following me. I didn’t tell him about it.”

“Narae,” Yongguk began, and there was that lecturing tone in his voice that I most certainly did not need.

“It’s fine,” I assured him quickly before he could berate me. “I’m fine and safe. It’s not a big deal, oppa.”

“Narae,” he said again.

“Oh, I’m at school! I’ve got to go!” I interrupted him quickly. “Bye, oppa!” And I hung up my phone, cutting him off mid-sentence. I would probably get a lecture for that later, too, but at least I wasn’t getting lectured now.

I half-expected to find more graffiti on my locker when I got there, but it was blissfully clean. Since it had been repainted, it was also a lot brighter than any of the others in the hallway, making it stand out like a beacon. As if I needed another reason to stand out in the hallways of Seol Chong. In fact, everything was fairly quiet all morning. I was almost able to lull myself into a sense of security. Almost.

really hit the fan at lunchtime.

I was sitting with my fiends at our usual table in the corner, between Amber and Jonghyun as usual, as if we had assigned seats or something. We were all laughing at a joke Key had just told when the cafeteria suddenly went very quiet. Glancing up at the double doors leading into the cafeteria, I saw at once.

Yongguk had just come in, and my drug-dealing best friend looked as out of place in this school as I did. He was tall, broad-shouldered, muscles on display thanks to his sleeveless shirt. He was also glowering.

He caught sight of me after only a second and headed over, kids scurrying out of his way as if he could kill with looks alone. Actually, looking at him, he probably could kill with that look. He looked super angry.

Yongguk marched over to where I sat with my friends, Jonghyun and I sharing an anxious look. What on earth was Yongguk doing at Seol Chong?

“Rich kid,” he barked when he reached our table and, even though everyone at our table except me was wealthy, it was obvious he was talking to Jonghyun. “I thought we had an agreement. If I let Narae date you, you would keep her safe. It doesn’t seem like you’re holding up your end of the bargain.”

Jonghyun spluttered for a second; he always seemed to get infinitely nervous around Yongguk. Not that I could blame him. Yongguk was ing terrifying, especially when he was angry. Like now.

“What’s this I hear about Narae getting bullied again?” Yongguk continued, his deep voice seeming to carry across the suddenly silent lunchroom. “Lockers getting vandalized, people following her home.”

Jonghyun glanced at me in surprise.

“I didn’t tell him about that,” I groaned. “Ugh, go away, oppa. You’re horrible and you’re going to get me in a lot of trouble.”

But I may as well have been talking to a brick wall. Yongguk wasn’t listening to me. He was looking at Jonghyun with an eyebrow quirked, as if waiting for an explanation. “Well?” he prompted when my boyfriend remained silent. “I thought you were going to keep her safe?”

“I am,” Jonghyun said finally, and he sounded a lot braver than he looked. “I didn’t know anyone had followed her home. I won’t let her go home alone anymore. I promise.”

Yongguk looked mildly placated. “Good,” he said. “I don’t want to have to come up here again. I’m a busy man, you know.” Then he turned to address the room full of onlookers. “If I hear about my Narae getting picked on one more time – even if it’s something as simple as calling her a name – I will be back and you will regret it.” Then he pecked me lightly on the cheek and left.

“What the was that about?” Key demanded when life seemed to resume.

I groaned and sank as low in my seat as possible. “My friend,” I muttered. “He’s like my brother. I’m so sorry, Jonghyun. I had no idea that he would do this.”

Jonghyun seemed more concerned about other things than Yongguk’s impromptu visit, however. “Someone followed you home, Kitten? Why didn’t you tell me about it?”

I shrugged. “It didn’t seem all that important. They just followed me. They didn’t do anything. It creeped me out but I’m a big girl and I can take care of myself.”

“Well I guess it’s not going to happen again,” Jonghyun said dryly. “Yongguk probably just scared the out of whoever it was. I bet even Jessica and her clones will back off now.”

I laughed, but I saw the way Jinri cringed. 


Ah so short! I'm sorry! But I just updated so hopefully the quickness will make up for the shortness. 

And the thought of Yongguk showing up at Narae's school is super funny to me lol