5,607 Miles from Seoul

Ray Of Light

Strong odor of wastes made Bom's nose wrinkle, but it didn't bother her as much as it usually did, because she had finally collected just enough money for her flight to America and for some used college textbooks.

She, Park Bom, has been accepted to Stanford with her tuition fee paid for her.

How could they not, Bom thought.

Her family made low incomes and weren't wealthy. She had the highest grade point average from everyone in her school- every year. Bom also wrote a persuasive essay, explaining why she should be in Stanford, and what she is capable of.

Bom peeled the orange rubber gloves off her hands, and turned the running faucet off. Today would be her last day scrubbing pots and utensils.

Pay check clutched tightly in her hands, Bom skipped all the way home.

 

Boyoung was waiting for Bom, pacing back and forth the small living room.

"Mom!" Bom rushed to her mom, gently pushing her to the sofa so she would sit.

Boyoung sat, and tapped the seat next to her. Slowly, Bom sat.

Absent mindedly, Boyoung pushed a strand of hair behind Bom's ear. "I don't know where to begin," she said at last, sighing.

Bom's eyebrows scrunched up almost immediately. "Is something wrong? Are you sick? Did the tax rates increase? Rejection letter from Stanford?"

"No, no, no, baby- I-"

Boyoung's eyes dropped to the coffee table, and Bom followed her gaze.

On the coffee table, there was a green piece of paper- a pay check. Bom understood what it meant, and abruptly stood up.

"Mom, I told you. I don't want you or dad to overtime because of me."

"And!" Bom continued, before Boyoung could open to protest. "I had three part time jobs. I have more than enough money."

Which was a lie, of course. Bom had barely enough money for the flight and books. She didn't know how she could find a dorm to live in, but she thought she could always find more part time jobs in America.

"It breaks my heart, knowing we've done nothing to help." Boyoung's voice was shaky, as if she would break any moment.

"Mom." Bom tried to sound comforting.

"You are our pride, our everything. Even while growing up with two less than ordinary parents, you were brilliant; better than anyone else at everything. You are the best gift god has given us, babe. The greatest thing that's happened in my life."

Bom suppressed the urge to cry, and mumbled, "Come on, mom. Don't be like this."

“Please take it. This’ll make me feel so much better, knowing that you have it. Please, baby.”

Bom opened , hesitated, and closed it. Giving a small grin, she said, “Thank you. I appreciate this.”

“Now hurry and pack. Don’t you have a flight to catch the day after tomorrow?”

 

 

 

Here you are, Park Bom. San Francisco, California.

She’s been in the airplane for seventeen hours, and the sunlight and fresh air was very pleasant.

First thing comes first. Earlier, Bom had emailed, called, and confirmed the contract of sharing a small apartment with her future roommate. Nine hundred eighty four dollars per month seemed a bit costly, but her roommate had assured Bom, saying that the building was decent.

She said she would be wearing the Stanford t-shirt, Bom thought anxiously.

“Bom Park?”

Bom turned around, greeting her roommate for the first time. “Yes, this is Bom. And you are Taeyeon Kim?”

“Yes, I am Taeyeon.” Taeyeon said brightly. She pushed her long hair away from her face before smiling widely again.

Bom had to smile. This girl was so animated, so full of life.

“I'm so glad I found you; I was lost. Do you happen to know the way out?" Bom asked.

Taeyeon's feminine giggles turned into open, free laughters. "Yes, yes, oh- you must excuse me. I am thrilled to have you as my roommate."

"And I, as well," Bom replied, giving Taeyeon a questioning look.

 

Bom loved the apartment. First, the designs and interior was very pleasant. Second, the apartment was very roomy. It had three bedrooms and two restrooms. The kitchen and living room was reasonably large.

Everything was organized as well, and the furniture was polished, and decent. Best of all, the apartment was very close to the campus.

Not to mention the fact that Taeyeon had an agreeable, likable personality.

 Money was well spent.

“This is how you turn on the air conditioner, and this is how you turn the heater on,” Taeyeon explained, turning the switch on and off.

 “Feel free to eat whatever’s in the refrigerator. By the way- you don’t have to separate the trash like you had to in Korea. Us Americans really don't care about saving the planet. As a matter of fact, I'm getting really concerned, lately. So many homeless puppies! I'd really like to keep one, but I already have Ginger, and-”

“Do you go to Stanford?” Bom asked Taeyeon, cutting off her opinion on vagrant animals.

“Mmm? Yes. This is why my parents got me this apartment.”

“I forgot to mention; it’s very nice.” Bom commented. “I really didn’t think it would be this pleasant.”

Taeyeon scrunched up her nose. "I suppose so, but I wanted my own place. My dad refused to pay for the condo I wanted because he never really wanted me to go to Stanford. He's always so unreasonable and so... well, biased.”

“What’s wrong with Stanford?” Bom demanded.

“Nothing. My dad just wanted me to go to Harvard, but I told him I would go to Stanford, because my older brother goes here. I just preferred staying close to someone I know, and now my dad won’t talk to me or give me allowance.”

“So you have a part time job?” Bom asked.

“Not even,” Taeyeon giggled. “I get money from my brother. My dad’s ist; and lets my brother do everything he wants to do, and gives him full support.”

Bom looked at Taeyeon again, inspecting her closely. She finally took notice of her Giuseppe Zanotti white leather pumps and her Nettie Rosenstein designer handbag. On her neck hung a Miadora necklace.

14k gold south sea pearls and diamonds, Bom thought, starting to get agitated.

Of course, it wasn't Taeyeon's fault she was living a glamorous, comfortable life due to her prosperous parents. But being around wealthy people had always bothered Bom.

Most rich people got their wealth effortlessly by ruining the lives of hardworking middle class people. ChoiGogeub is merely one example. Thanks to them, Bom had never lived an ordinary, tranquil life. She had never had time to catch her breath- she had been juggling through all the part time jobs she could handle.

"Be grateful though," Bom muttered, trying not to sound too cross. "If only my troubles were like yours."

Taeyeon arched her eyebrows, and Bom had to admit, "Financial problems."

Taeyeon put on a concerned, knowing look, and Bom had to laugh. What could this girl know about financial problems? Her outfit let alone costs nearly as much as the full time tuition fee in Stanford.

Taeyeon grinned, embarrassed. "What's your schedule like?" She asked, changing the subject.

"I have uh, afternoon classes. First class starts at 2PM. I have morning shifts and late night shifts," Bom explained, feeling weary.

Taeyeon shot Bom a look of sympathy, and asked, "Future career? Occupation?"

"Business," Bom answered.

This was the only way she could seek revenge on ChoiGogeub, the company that ruined her life, her family's life. And probably ruined many other lives of people like her in this world.

"Oh?" Taeyeon asked, sounding oddly strange. "You're into business?"

"Mmmhmm." Bom replied, not giving much thought.

"Right. Business," Taeyeon repeated, a thoughtful expression on her face.

"Yes." Bom looked at Taeyeon, frowning. "Real estate."

"It's tough," Taeyeon answered at last. "Especially in times like now."

"I realize. But I believe I am capable of it. Besides," Bom said, smiling smugly. "I am the one who received a full scholarship to Stanford."

It was, after all, the proudest thing that Bom's ever done in her life. Why be modest about it?

"You're amazing. It's never easy to receive a full scholarship to Stanford. Eighty percent of the kids had their parents pay loads of donations to get a good impression." Taeyeon looked at Bom in awe. "Like me," She added hastily.

Bom tried to look humble, but it was hard to stop smiling. It was also very difficult to hate Taeyeon, no matter how wealthy she was.

"Gee, you're really something. But don't you think that you need some sort of experience before starting your real estate business?"

Bom's expression fell again. That had been bothering her the most, of course. She had to carefully manage her time so she could study, earn money for the rent and other supplies, and had to save money to start her business. Building up experiences were just as important, of course, but she didn't have time to work as an intern during college, and she had to get a job after receiving her bachelor's degree. Or how was she going to earn her life savings?

"I'd love to build experience if I had the time," Bom admitted. "But I guess I'd have to start everything without it. Maybe after college. I have to work, and study. Besides. So many people want to work as interns- I doubt I can find a company that doesn't have interns."

Taeyeon opened to protest, but Bom spoke up first.

"Besides. Nine hundred eighty four dollars isn't a comfortable price for me," Bom added, giving Taeyeon a dry grin.

Taeyeon looked away, ashamed. "I'm sorry- I can lower the price-"

"No, no, no." Bom interrupted, waving her hand around carelessly. "The flat's luxurious; it's definitely worth its price. I'm just trying to make a point. You cut the price down, you're probably going to have a hard time begging your brother for extra."

 

 

 

Taeyeon didn't think her brother would mind loaning her a thousand, but she understood money was valuable to Bom.

Taeyeon looked at Bom. Bom's beautiful face was stretched with wrinkles of worry, exhaustion, and tension. Taeyeon also discovered strands of silver in Bom's dark hair, which made Taeyeon pity Bom more.

She had been cursing her dad all this summer for not sending her the monthly paychecks for new accessories and clothes, and Bom was making her feel guilty.

Here she was, worrying about new earrings while Bom had been worrying if it was worth eating dinner or not.

She wanted to help Bom really badly.

Maybe because Bom was different from the previous friends she had before. They were all shallow- counting cash, bragging about the jeweleries they owned, their flawless families, their flawless lives. And Taeyeon had been one of them.

Seeing Bom working her little heart out... it made a great impact on Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon cleared . "I can manage," Taeyeon said at last, flushing scarlet.

Bom snorted. "Taeyeon. Really. I'm doing fine. It's alright."

"Seeing you work your  off all your life... I don't know why, but it makes me want to help you live your life a bit easier."

Bom stared at Taeyeon with disbelief. "Come on. Don't be an idiot. We're talking about a thousand dollars right here."

Taeyeon snorted. "Please. My necklace costs a bit more than three times a thousand."

Bom glared at Taeyeon. "So what. You're offering to pay my rent for me? I don't even know you, I just met you! Thank you for being generous and all, but no thanks. I don't want to take an advantage of you this way. Not to mention that it would be a burden. And don't you live your life like this, offering money to people you like."

"Who says I'm paying for you?" Taeyeon asked, grinning snidely. "You're giving me every penny of my money back...one day. Think of it as a loan."

"Now, this is above ridiculous." Bom said.

"I'm adding interest, as well," Taeyeon shot back.

"If you want to play this game, I can play it as well. How are you going to pay for my monthly rent, hmmm? You going to ask your brother? Will he spare you a thousand each month? Or are you going to work in Mc Donald's with me? How will that benefit you in anyway? Taeyeon, please, reconsider. Why would I be refusing? Less working for me. I'm refusing for you."

Taeyeon scowled. "Yes. My brother sends a hundred thousand each month for me to spend, I can always find enough and spare a thousand per month. But I don't even need to, the rents are prepaid- for a year. I don't need to work. You're paying me back. Everyone's happy. But if you still insist on paying right now, the hardest time of your life, you may ignore my consideration and pay."

"Prepaid?" Bom repeated, shocked.

"Yes, Prepaid. I live rent free for a year. The only reason why I was looking for a roommate was because I wanted extra money for my new jewelery, shoes, and purse collection I was going to start, but I realized- that I can live without."

"But-" Bom stuttered, obviously startled. "Renting a luxury flat for a year- that would've cost thousands and thousands of dollars."

"I'm sure my dad found it affordable," Taeyeon muttered under her breath, suppressing the urge to roll her eyes.

"Can I really?" Bom's voice was unnaturally small.

Taeyeon shook her head. "If you want to start working as an intern, you should go talk to my brother. I've been wanting to tell you- my dad's in this business game, he owns hundreds of buildings. We have companies everywhere, and there happens to be one here in San Francisco. My brother's a junior in college, and he works as an intern as well. I'll introduce you to him if I can find him in the campus. Would you have time?"

Bom stared blankly at Taeyeon.

"You have time?" Taeyeon asked, more slowly and dully.

"Yes. Uh, yes, I have um, a ton of time. Tomorrow? Or.. a week from now, during class hours? After class? During class?"

"Next week. You have your shifts, though. You may want to quit, once you get accepted as the intern. Honestly, I don't even think college students are allowed to be interns, but my brother is an intern, and he's a junior, for god's sake. Through him, you should be able to get him. He's only twenty two, and everyone's treating him like a king, or something."

"Thanks," Bom said, her eyes filled with gratitude.

"It was my pleasure, really." Taeyeon smiled.

Bom's shoulders drooped, as if all the weights she has been carrying around had been lifted. She was finally able to breathe.

"Be careful though," Taeyeon said, after giving much thought. "My brother... he's a nice guy, but... he sure has problems."

Bom raised an eyebrow. "I'm sure everyone has their thing once in a while."

"You wouldn't understand," Taeyeon said, before making herself comfortable on her bed.

He's decent and fair when it comes to business. He's outgoing, and social. He's good with people; no discrimination of any kind- age, and race. Gender. Females. He has a problem when it comes to women, Taeyeon thought, grinning bitterly at the thought.

How the hell was she going to tell Bom that she was going to have to deal with ual harassment if she wanted to work with her brother?

How was she going to tell her how her brother loved to play with woman; that her brother was a womanizer?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello.

It's been a long time, and I apologize for not being able to update quickly.

Honestly, I can't guarantee exactly when chapter three is going to be updated, but it's spring break, and I hope I do find the time to update.

I've been busy with the finals and other tests and exams.

Forgive me; sniff, sniff. I'm sure every high school students will understand.

Especially if you live with an Asian parent whose crazy about your grades. My mom won't even give me cup noodles to eat if I don't finish my homework first. :(

Yeah... It's kind of sad... :( :( :(

I hoped you enjoyed this chapter, although it is kind of boring, truthfully.

Chapter two should be more interesting; that's when I fast forward with all this business and school stuff and get down to the real stuff: chemistry between our two protagonists.

With that said,

           Take care, people, and subscribe if you like my fan fiction!

Please feel free to comment and request.