The Last Snow

One Shot Palace!

Characters: Sehun(EXO), You(Jinhee)

 


 

Listen to this: Can You Hear Me & Missing You Like Crazy by Taeyeon

 


"I'm on my way back to school." Jinhee smiled as she replied over the phone, pushing the glass door open to exit the cafe that she frequented during breaks in between classes.

 

"Yah! You better have bought one Americano for me!" her best-friend-slash-dorm-mate yelled over the phone. Jinhee pulled her phone away from her ears as she winced.

 

"I did, so stop yelling." Jinhee snapped. As Jinhee got carried away talking, she accidentally brushed shoulders with a student. She bowed and offered a simple apology before walking away.

 

Jinhee stopped in tracks as she overheard the student muttering statements of dissatisfaction. She turned over and saw files lying all over the ground. "Jaehee-ya, call you later alright?" she abruptly ended her call and shoved her phone into the back pocket of her denim skinny jeans as she ran back to help the student.

 

"Oh gosh, I'm really sorry that I caused you to drop your files. It must have been cumbersome to carry them all the way here." Jinhee apologized, setting her coffee aside and picking up the files for the student.

 

"It's alright." the male replied briefly as he picked up the files at the other side. Jinhee's blood froze as her heart pounded like a hammer.

It can't be, she thought.

 

"Thanks for offering help." the male said, standing up. Jinhee gulped as she looked up.

 

Her heart stopped and her eyes widened in horror as she lost grip of the files.

 

She stared at the pale boy, failing to register his existence.

 

"Jinhee....?" he called, his voice trailing off.

 

-FLASHBACK-

"Jinhee! Look what have I found!" Sehun called excitedly as he skipped into the classroom, holding onto an envelope.

 

"Could it be?" a smile hung was hung on Jinhee's face as she retrieved a similar letter to Sehun's from her bag. "Let's open it together!" Sehun beamed, sitting down next to Jinhee.

 

"On count. 1.... 2.... 3!" both of them announced at the same time, opening the letter in unison.

 

"Admission to Seoul National University!" Sehun cheered, it was the university that the both of them aimed to enroll in. For Sehun, it was a dream come true.

 

Sehun turned over to his shoulder and saw Jinhee lowering her head. "What's wrong?" Sehun asked as he moved closer in concern.

 

Jinhee trembled with fear and tears slipped out of her eyes. Jinhee's grip on her letter was so tight that the paper had become crumpled. "Let me take a look." Sehun convinced, trying to loosen her grip on the letter.

 

When Sehun scanned through the letter once, twice and the third time. He took time to inhale the news and his heart defied his commands.

On the letter, it has clearly printed.

 

'Admission to Korea University.'

 

Silence took over the two as they went completely lose for words.

 

Sehun took a deep breath and cleared his mind. "It's okay, Jinhee. I can travel to your university to meet you. I promise you." he said as he brought Jinhee's hands to his mouth and softly kissed it.

 

"It's okay Sehun. You don't have to comfort me." Jinhee softly replied. "Aniya. Jinhee I really mean it. You can visit me when you end classes early and I can visit you when I end classes early." Sehun earnestly promised.

 

"Really?" Jinhee sniffled, looking at him with red swollen eyes. "Of course. Don't worry much, it's just a two-hour train ride between our schools." Sehun convinced.  "B-but" Jinhee opened to speak. "I promise, nothing will change us," Sehun said as he pulled Jinhee in for a hug, raking her hair with his fingers.

 

-A Year Later-

'I can't wait to see the surprised look on Sehun when I appear in front of him after his class.' Jinhee smiled to herself as she skipped into the gates of SNU.

 

"Good afternoon, Ahjusshi!" Jinhee greeted cheerfully as she skipped into the building. "Good afternoon to you too!" the guard replied with a bright smile. Jinhee chuckled as she proceeded along for her destination.

 

"Sehun's ending his lesson exactly at five minutes. I should wait for him at his locker." Jinhee reminded herself, walking to the usual place where she would usually wait for Sehun at. Five minutes later, the school bell rang, signaling the end of lectures. The excitement grew as footsteps get louder and louder each second. Jinhee's heartbeat was accelerating non-stop, eager to meet her boyfriend.

 

Sehun walked into Jinhee's view, who was hiding at one corner, preparing to surprise Sehun due to a sudden change of plans. Jinhee stepped back into her hiding place as she spot someone approaching Sehun. "Sehun!" the chestnut brown haired female called.

 

"Ah, Krystal. How were your classes?" Sehun greeted with a warm smile that made Jinhee feel insecure all of a sudden. Jinhee gulped as she watched on. "I'm good. Aren't you going to accompany me to shopping today? My friends are dying to see you." Krystal pouted as she clung onto him like a koala bear.

 

Jinhee bit her lips hard and stared at the both of them, 'What exactly is that Krystal doing?!'

 

"Ayyy, my baby is sad isn't she? I'm sorry that I can't accompany you. Jinhee is coming to school today." Sehun apologized as he kissed her lips. "Jinhee that ." Krystal cursed as she folded her arms against her chest. Sehun continued to soothe her anger when she suddenly pop a question. "When are you going to break up with her? She's getting in our way!" Krystal complained.

 

"Soon. Soon enough. I'll speak of that when the time is appropriate." Sehun assured. Krystal shot Sehun a deadly stare that made Sehun gulp nervously, "You better do. Or else I'll get Kris to crush you." Krystal threatened, using her older brother as a weapon.

 

Tears slid down Jinhee's cheeks as the truth gets shoved into her face, her heart clenched as her breath hitched in sadness. 'How dare she mention my name as if she knew me.'

 

"You two look so cute together, better than Jinhee paired with Sehun." Jiyul, Jinhee's formal classmate commented. A smile formed on Krystal's face as she declared proudly, "Of course. Sehun and I are the perfect couple made in heaven. That Jinhee wasn't even smart enough to enroll into this university."

 

Jinhee's heart broke into thousands of piece as she witness Sehun shrugging the insult away. "It's alright, baby." Sehun cooed at Krystal.

"Oh Se Hoon." Jinhee called as she step out of her hiding place. Sehun peered over and widened his eyes in horror. His lips trembled as he struggled for an explanation. "Is this the forever you promised?" Jinhee whispered softly, heartbroken. Her fist clenched so hard that it formed bloody crescents on her palm.

 

"Jinhee, listen to me-" Sehun opened his mouth to explain. "Forget it. Looks like I was wrong. There was no such thing as Forever." Jinhee blinked, tears running down her porcelain cheeks as she ran as fast as her legs would bring her.

 

Her heart shattered  into irreparable pieces  when she realized that Sehun hadn't been chasing after she ran out of his university.

 

When she exited the university, rain dawned on her, as if mocking at her failure to keep Sehun's heart. Jinhee stood at the traffic junction, lowering her head as her shoulders bobbed up and down. Loud cries of sorrow were covered by the raindrops landing the ground.

 

To get over her first love of five years wasn't easy at all. Jinhee had almost suffered from depression due to isolating herself with the crowd, and refusal to take part in any of the many activities the school organized had led her to be a loner.

 

It was when Jinhee was forced to become friends with the overly noisy yet friendly Jaehee and that was when she started getting rid of her rotten affections towards Sehun and start anew.

 

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

Jinhee broke out in a coughing fit, bringing her hands to cover . The coughing had broke both parties' train of thoughts, swinging them back to reality. Worry filled Sehun's face as he reached over and gave Jinhee a pat on the back. "Are you alright?"

 

"Yeah I'm alright. It's been long since we've met, isn't it Sehun-sshi?" Jinhee forced a smile upon her face as she slapped his hands away.

 

Sehun stared at her in utter shock with her formality and curt actions. He then, awkwardly cleared his voice and came to realize that her nose was red.

 

"Did you catch a cold?" he asked.

 

Jinhee pursed her lips in disapproval. She refused to speak to him.

 

"Did you forget to cover yourself with a blanket last night again? I heard it was cold at your area." Sehun asked again. The urge to make her speak to him grew bigger and bigger.

 

She sighed, reaching for her coffee as she walked away.

 

"How are you lately?" Sehun asked, almost sounding like he was pleading her to answer. Jinhee frowned, she had thought he begged her.

"I'm fine, how about you? Are you still with Krystal?" Jinhee turned around as she asked bitterly.

 

"Doing fine. Krystal and I broke up, after she moved to the States with her family." he replied. There was a pregnant pause between the two as they engage eye contact.  "I'm here to get myself coffee since I've been craving for it. How about you?" Sehun asked as he shifted uncomfortably, breaking the eye contact.

 

Jinhee chuckled bitterly, "Came here to get coffee to keep me up during the classes later on."

 

"Ohh, you better return for your classes, each break was only thirty-five minutes long isn't it." Sehun replied.
 

Jinhee flinched. How dare he bring up little details about her with such ease, not even showing tinges of remorse or guilt. Jinhee decided that its best for her to leave right now, in case her temper blows and she starts being unreasonable. Jinhee gave a curt bow and left with her coffee.

 

Each footstep Jinhee took, it grew heavier and heavier, her heart getting more frustrated as the distance between him and her grew. She was one step away from demanding the truth from Sehun and she had avoided that.

 

Jinhee bit the insides of her cheeks and bottled her frustration. It was when the flashbacks start coming back and Jinhee fell onto the ground in defeat. "Why won't you just leave me alone?!" Jinhee yelled as her chest heaved.

 

She threw her Americano away in a fit of temper, she could care less in this situation. She covered her face and convinced herself to it up and get over it several times, but she failed miserably.

 

A pair of arms s around her waist took her by surprise as she struggled to break free from the back hug. "Jinhee, I'm really sorry that I did despicable things behind your back.... and I really miss you." he softly whispered into her ears.

 

Jinhee's blood boiled and she could hardly catch her breath due to her cold. Hot tears race out of her eyes as those damned feeling returned. She wanted to hit herself, smack herself, kill herself for letting her feelings return with such ease.

 

"G-go a-away, S-se-hun." Jinhee hissed as she struggled with pulling Sehun's arms away from her. "Please, forgive me." Sehun pleaded, tightening the hug.

 

That was the last straw.

 

"Oh Se Hoon! Go away when I tell you to!" Jinhee burst out as she gave Sehun an unexpectedly strong push that sent him stumbling. Jinhee stood up as she brushed away the snow that got onto her jeans and glared at Sehun.

 

Sehun regained his balance and stood up too, only to be trying to get closer to Jinhee again. "Stop. Just stop right there, and don't come closer. I'm fine with this distance." Jinhee warned, curling her fingers into a fist.

 

"What's wrong? Am I-" Sehun asked, only to be interrupted by Jinhee. "What's wrong? I'll tell you. You're wrong, I'm wrong, everybody's wrong!" Jinhee laughed, staring at him with a cold, hard stare that sent shivers down Sehun's spine.

 

It took a while before Jinhee spoke up. "Can you just stop caring about everything when it has all ended years ago? It's making me hard to breathe, let alone let go." she muttered as she forced herself not to spill her tears and act like a crybaby again.

 

Jinhee bit her lips and convinced herself to never spill her tears in front of Sehun.

 

"Then don't let go." Sehun said softly, closing the distance between the both of them. "I said stop there! Why won't you just listen to me?!" Jinhee shouted at him, stomping on her feet. This time, Sehun didn't obey her, instead, he grabbed her and pulled her into his arms.

 

"I don't want you to let go. Hold on to me, I'll change. Please." Sehun begged as he her hair. "Why are you always like this?!" Jinhee broke down, hitting his chest with her fist with great effort.

 

Sehun remained still and waited for Jinhee to cool down. He planted kisses on her crown as he felt her sobbing cease.

 

"Let's just start loving again, shall we?" Sehun asked as he pulled back from the hug. He felt Jinhee's hands still on his chest as he lowered down to look at her.

 

Sehun's ears perked up as he heard Jinhee cleared her voice. "Sehun...." she trailed off.

 

The very next few words struck Sehun like thunder and broke his heart into millions and millions of little pieces.

"Let's not meet again."

 

Sehun stumbled back in disbelief, feeling twice the heartbreak he had years ago when he was caught with Krystal. "B-but, J-Jinhee...." he struggled to get her back.

 

"No Sehun, just shut up. I don't want to know the truth on why did you cheat on me with Krystal and why you didn't chase after me that day." Jinhee firmly said, shaking her head. "I have no interest any of the topics you want to talk about right now." Jinhee continued.

 

Jinhee clenched her jaws for a few seconds, and releases it as she opens to speak.

 

"Sorry Sehun, but I think I deserve better. Let's just keep the distance." Jinhee coldly revealed as she walked away from him.

 

A tear slid down Sehun's cheeks as he looked at the same woman that walked away from him twice, and twice, he decided not to chase her.

 

He fell onto the snow-filled ground, as he choke back his sobs. Guys are not supposed to cry, especially in front of the ones that he loved ever so deeply. There was no turning back right now. The path of turning back had ceased when he decided not to chase after her that fateful day.


The ending was kind of rushed and trust me, I didn't want to end it this way but I had to not ruin the whole one-shot just because I insisted on writing the ending, so here it is! :)

Feel free to leave some constructive comments/feedbacks on the comment section below so that I can improve my skills! :)) See you soon~