Chapter TWO

The Family Crusade

 

“We can never judge the lives of others,
because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation.” 

 

Chapter Two 

 

                 Chae Won doesn’t know how far she could take this.  Standing infront of the full length mirror, repugnance crossed her eyes as she scanned her appearance from head to toe.  Orange wig in complete disarray framed her face with short bangs, irritating her eyes. Automatically, she rubbed her itching eyes, and then cursed inwardly when her dark eye shadows smeared which she grudgingly redid.  She wore too much make up.  Her eye shadows reminded Chae Won of dark seaweeds and molasses, her cheekbones were dotted with a conspicuous blush, and her lips wore bloody red rouge.  If that wasn’t enough, she is even wearing a ridiculous parody of a wedding dress.

           

                 Her s were compressed tightly by the tube of the dress, allowing too much skin to peek underneath the lacy white material. No matter how much she tried to pull the dress higher, it persisted on smoothing down until it revealed the top of her s and the deep cleavage in between.  Even the bubble skirt emphasized her waist with the hem falling only on the half her thighs.  She is wearing the provided sheer stockings complete with white garter belt. And to her horror, when she moves, the skirt could practically reveal the garter belt.  A small transparent train slid unchecked to the floor from her fingers as she fretfully bit her lower lip. She couldn’t possibly do this.

 

                 Her hands trembled as she reached for the white pumps and slip them on.  She could feel the start of tears on her eyes but fought to keep her emotions under control.  She cannot afford to have self-pity now.  After all, she had decided to do this. What’s the point of crying over something that she had decided to do in the first place? With that thought, she reached for the small train on the floor and draped it on her face through the orange wig.  She heaved a sigh when her face was covered by the transparent train. At least, she could still hide her face.  The instruction given to her didn’t include revealing her face. It would be more tolerable knowing that the people won’t even see her face as she performs tonight.

 

                 A knock on the door woke her from her reverie and a young woman wearing almost the same outfit with a black wig appeared. “Girl, are you ready?” Gyuri asked as she surveyed Chae Won from head to toe. Chae Won stared back through the mirror and managed a weak nod. She couldn’t trust herself to speak for she felt like throwing up.  “The cake is ready. Five minutes,” Gyuri added before leaving, closing the door behind her.

           

                 Chae Won counted a few more seconds before she stood up.  She almost lost her balance when she felt the sudden swaying of the floor.  She automatically grasped the drawer beside her and steadied herself.  She had to remind herself once again that she is on an exclusive yacht currently marooned at the Jeju shoreline.  Typical of the rich, she thought.  She could hear the noises outside.  She felt her heart thundered in erratic painful beats that she felt nauseous.  She could not understand why men attended this kind of party at all.  Why does a groom has a stag party before the wedding in the first place? Isn’t a form of infidelity to his bride to be?  And why does the bride allow her groom to have a stag party?

 

                 But then again, Chae Won thought bitterly, who is she to judge these men when she is practically here to be the main attraction of tonight’s stag party? Reluctantly, she reached for the doorknob and went outside.  The glaring overhead lights almost blinded her.  Hastily, she covered her eyes with her hand and looked at her surroundings. The make shift stage held a large three layered cake made of paper.  The sight of it makes her want to throw up once again.  She gets sicker at every passing minute.  She averted her eyes from the cake and she felt her heart beat painfully when she saw the heavy draped curtain.  She could practically hear the muffled voices of the men and she grudgingly thought that she would be thrown to the wolves for the upcoming minutes.  She prayed for time to stop, to suspend, just to postpone this moment.  But it seems like God won’t listen again.

 

                 She felt the sting of tears pricking on her eyes and she hastily wiped them.  There’s no point of crying now.  She could do this, she thought.  She saw Gyuri being assisted by some women entered the cake.  Gyuri saw her and signaled her to follow. Sighing inwardly, Chae Won followed her.

           

 

 

 

 

 

                 Joongki leaned negligently against the bar island as he drank his gin and tonic.  He surveyed his surroundings with cool detachment. The guests flocked and talked inanimately.  The overhead chandeliers provided a warm glow, casting shadows all over the room with its scintillating lights.  The highly polished amber wood contrasted dramatically with the Persian oriental carpet.  Cushioned red chaise longue and brass stools were strewn all over the place.  Joongki could smell the tangy sea air drifting through the open windows.  Carrying his drink towards the windows, he leaned against the window ledge and stared absently towards the shore lights reflected in the water. He could feel that the yacht had started to sail with the sudden vibrations on his feet.  The gentle sway of the vessel almost spilled his drink.  He emptied his glass immediately.  The place reeked of alcohol and smoke.  The combination almost gagged him and the music blared in full that he had the urge to get out but resisted. 

 

                 He doesn’t know why he had even bothered to attend this stag party in the first place.  He was damned tired from his flight and the last thing he wanted to do is to attend some party with rich fools.  But then again, he thought, one of these ‘rich fools’ happened to be one of his good friends.  A man suddenly appeared beside him and gave him a playful tap on the shoulder.  “You rascal! When did you arrive?” the man said elatedly.

           

                 Joongki whirled around.  It had been two years since he last saw Kris.  But the man looked almost the same as before except for the fact that he had dyed his hair blonde.  But the blonde curls suited Kris’ laughing eyes and playful aura.  Joongki smiled and tapped his glass against Kris’ glass. “Yesterday.  Couldn’t miss this,” he said lightly.  “Congratulations,” Joongki added with a sneer.  “How did you ever convince Jenny to marry that face of yours?”

 

                 Kris laughed.  “Believe me. I have a hard time convincing her,” he said. “I just can’t believe that you’re actually here,” he said after a while. “How come you didn’t bother to contact me before?” he said, almost accusingly. Joongki chuckled as he returned his gaze at the water on the window.  “I’ve been busy,” came the response.  “If it isn’t because of the old man, I still wouldn’t be here,” he said placidly. Despite his light tone, Kris recognized the grimness of his voice and the clenching of his jaw as he spoke.  Kris cleared his throat.  “Well, either way, I’m still glad you’re here. And-” Kris hesitated, looking at Joongki’s profile. “-I heard about Hyung’s engagement. Give him my greetings when you will see him.”  The sudden sound of glass hitting the window ledge made heads turn in every direction.  But his voice is neutral when Joongki said, “I will. Anyway, we should talk about yours. Does Jenny know there’s a stag party tonight?” he said before turning his attention to him.

 

                 Kris almost heaved his sigh of relief then shook his head. “She does.  But I just can’t believe I’m actually doing this. Don’t you think I’m being unfaithful?” Joongki regarded him with amusement. “What happened to the man who cannot survive without a woman for a week?” he asked inquisitively.  Kris looked at him, irritated. “That’s below the belt, you lout,” he said.  Joongki chuckled as he drank his gin and tonic. 

 

                 Abruptly, the music changed to a slow sensuous melody that drastically changed the atmosphere as the heavy draped curtain parted to reveal a large three layered cake.  The overhead lights played in shades of dark red and scarlet. Joongki heard Kris’ frustrated sigh as the cake was smashed by pair of hands from the interior of the cake.  Male guffaws became louder as the men started to stalk Kris and almost yanked him to one of the chaise lounges.  Joongki smirked at his friend’s discomfort.  The other men had even tied Kris to the sofa, preventing his escape.  Still leaning against the windows, Joongki lingered his gaze towards the cake.  The overhead lights almost blinded him with its intensity when a woman with dark hair emerged. 

 

                 The male guffaws blasted anew as the woman danced sensuously with the music.  Her face is totally covered by a transparent train as she moves towards Kris.  Joongki watched as the woman slid down and straddled his lap and began to dance, imitating a act.  Kris closed his eyes, as if fighting control. Joongki chuckled silently. Jenny definitely has to look after her fiancée well.  It seems like the old Kris still exists. 

 

                 Joongki went back to the bar and ordered a cognac. He felt bored all of a sudden.  He swirled his stool so he could observed the commotion before him.  The dancer is still dancing on Kris’ lap, only this time, her skirt were hitchhiked by one of the men to reveal her garments.  Another man approached and touched her s.  The woman was being surrounded by those lecherous men but still she kept on dancing provocatively, laughing seductively and enjoying the attentions.  When she had done her , she went to her knees and sandwiched herself between Kris’ legs and began ing his shirt.  All the while, other men tried to touch her.  Joongki swallowed his drink to hide his growing disgust.  He had just finished his drink when the music changed once again to another slow tune.

 

                 The birthday cake was smashed once again to reveal an orange haired woman.  It seemed like the woman was frozen in the spot as soon as she emerged.  Tentatively, she began to dance in time with the music.   As Joongki watched curiously, the noise was increased tenfold with the blasted guffaws with the new dancer’s appearance.  Almost everyone abandoned the first dancer and are currently ogling the other one.   The men started to encircle her. 

 

                 Joongki found himself staring at the new dancer.  The woman wore a skimpy outfit, a complete parody of a wedding dress while a small transparent train obscured her face to his view.  The dress clung to her figure like a second skin, leaving no room to imagination as the material emphasized her s and small hips that he could span on his hands.  The silk stockings clad her long shapely legs and when she moved with the rhythm, the dress showed a glimpse of garter belt encircling her inner thighs. Joongki caught his breath when to his growing disbelief, he began to harden.

 

                 As the seconds passed, the woman had gotten more ardent with her dancing as she began to move in time with the music.  Her lithe body moves sensuously, threading her way slowly to Kris who is still restraint to the lounge.  The black haired woman had finally lifted her train and revealed her face.  The men began to gather around the two dancers.  The black haired woman had ed the shirt of Kris and began to sit once again on his lap.  While doing so, she reached for the other woman’s hand and pulled her to them so she could join them.  As Joongki watched, the orange haired woman stood beside Kris and began to dance once again.  Joongki frowned and without thinking of what he is doing, he abandoned his seat and approached the crowd, keeping his eyes on the dancer.

 

 

 

 

                 The moment she emerged from the cake, she almost threw up.  She stood paralyzed amidst the sea of men beneath the torn cake.  For seconds, she couldn’t move, frozen on the spot.  The piercing laughter and mirth from the men made her skin crawl.  But she needed to do it.  She needed to do this.  It’s now or never.  So despite her inner turmoil, she began to dance hesitantly, trying to remember the steps.  She was too preoccupied with recalling the steps that it took her only a moment to notice that she was suddenly surrounded by the men.  Her heart beats in painful lurches.  Her sweat formed in her forehead as she gazed at their lecherous gazes.  God please let this be over soon, she whispered desperately.

 

                 She could practically smell their breaths as they gather around her.  She almost feels like giving up.  But she needed to think again the reason why she’s doing this in the first place.  It’s for them, she thought.  She couldn’t let the children down.

 

                 With that thought, she began to concentrate more on her steps rather on her dilemma.  Her vague memory became clearer as her body moves with the music.  She remembered the instruction that she should also approached the groom.  Scanning the room, she had to stand on tiptoe just to spot Gyuri.  If she could locate the other woman, then Chae Won could also locate the groom and be done with this.

 

                 She almost sighed her relief when she finally spotted Gyuri dancing with a guy restrained in a lounge chaise.  Chae Won almost missed her step when she looked at Gyuri.  The other woman really knew what she is doing.  Dancing seductively, the woman is almost doing the deed with her provocative movements.  Coupled with a y body, Gyuri knew how to get the attention.  Chae Won had to hide her grimace when she saw that the groom’s shirt was ed.  Chae Won approached them while still dancing.  Male guffaws became louder.  She noticed that Gyuri had already uncovered her face but Chae Won doesn’t have any plan of doing the same.  She saw Gyuri sat on the groom’s lap.  Chae Won had to avert her eyes when Gyuri began her .  She gasped when she was pulled suddenly.  Her eyes went back to Gyuri and she can almost read the other woman’s eyes. She understood Gyuri’s instructions.  So, Chae Won began to dance infront of the groom uncertainly.  Let this be over soon, she prayed earnestly.

 

                 She was too preoccupied with her thoughts that she caught her breath when an arm s behind her abruptly and turned her around.  She found herself pulled to a man’s chest that the impact knocked her breath, her head thrown back.  Her eyes widened when she realized what just happened.  A man was hitting her, actually hitting her! But then, what does she expect? 

 

                 Before she could form more coherent thought, she felt his other hand gathered the hem and pull it up so he could caress her from behind.  She gasped out loud when she felt him roll the garter belt down and before she could clearly think, she found herself pushing wildly at the man’s chest.  When she had succeeded from escaping his hold, she raised her hand and slapped him as hard as she could, the sound echoing throughout the room.

 

                 The music stopped while the voices died down.  But Chae Won didn’t notice as she stared furiously at the man infront of him.  She felt incensed!  Just because she is a dancer, does he have any right to touch her that way? So incensed is she that she raised her hand again to slap him once again, but caught her breath when he imprisoned her wrist.

 

                 “I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” came the calm response.  Chae Won yanked her hand from his hold, but he tightened his grip.  She winced then glared at the man through her veil.  “Let go of my arm,” she hissed. When he did, she immediately clenched her fist and threw a punch on his face, having a sense of satisfaction upon hearing his surprised gasp.  The impact of her punch had clearly stunned him but not enough to cause further damage which is an utter shame, she thought.  She felt like pounding him to a pulp.

 

                 “Just because I’m a dancer, did it give you a right to molest me?!” she shouted.  She felt a hand clamped on her shoulder.  Distractedly, her eyes followed the direction and made contact with Gyuri.  The other woman shook her head while gripping her shoulder.  Chae Won looked back at the man.  She could not see his face clearly with the veil and the dim light. 

 

                 “Who gave you any rights to treat women this way?” Chae Won continued spitefully.  “Man like you should rot in hell for all-”

 

                 “Why did you think I treat you that way?” he cut in smoothly, his voice tinged with light mockery.  Chae Won scoffed. “Because you’re a ert?” she asked mockingly.  She saw his jaw clenched and she felt again a temporary triumph.

 

                 “Because you’re a e,” he said, answering his own question.  Chae Won stiffened.  He raised his brows.  “Maybe you’re forgetting that fact that this is a stag party.  Why would men treat you differently when in fact you are here for our amusement?” he asked harshly.  Chae Won could not believe her ears.  She felt paralyzed. 

 

                 “Does the word hypocrisy has any effect on you?” he asked softly, as if unaware of the havoc he is causing to her being.  “Questioning my manner towards the other when in fact you’re enticing all of the men here with your body, don’t you think that is hypocrisy?” he added coldly.

 

                 Chae Won felt her vision blurred as tears came unchecked on her cheeks.  Thankful for the concealing veil, she refused to wipe them for fear that the man will notice how she was affected by what he had said.  She opened to speak but it seems like no words can come out.  She doesn’t feel like talking.  She preferred to sit in one corner and cry for a while.  Why did things turned out this way?

           

                 She felt again the tightening of Gyuri’s grip on her shoulders.  After seems like hours, a baritone voice spoke, “Oh come on, Joongki.  You’re being rude to the ladies.” Chae Won recognized the groom as he approached the man.  The man called ‘Joongki’ remained passive as he looked at Chae Won.  But he smirked when he answered, “Ladies? I don’t see any ladies around here.”  Chae Won stiffened with his clear implication that she and Gyuri are not ladies with his standard.  Her fury came boiling once again.  She is seeing red. 

 

                 The groom cleared his throat as he regarded Chae Won and Gyuri.  “Well ladies? How about some refreshments?” he asked.  The man looked behind the bar and a server came with a tray of refreshment.  Gyuri took two champagne flutes and offered one to Chae Won. Chae Won had to concentrate on holding the champagne. Her hands are trembling. 

 

                 With the champagne on her hand, a thought formed.  Before she could think any further less she would regret it, she flipped the champagne towards the man called Joongki and had the satisfaction of hearing his surprised gasp once again.  Sudden noise filled the room but Chae Won barely noticed it as she appreciated her handiwork.  Clearly, she had a good aim. His face and chest are wet.  Abandoning her plan of leaving her face concealed, she brought her hand on her face and grasped the veil.  Pulling it backwards, she stared at the man with satisfaction.  Her eyes clashed with darkening gray eyes and she was momentarily stunned.  Devoid now of the veil, she could clearly see the man’s features.  Wet with the champagne, his dark hair being tossed by the wind, whipping the wet strands all over his face, his incredible long lashes lay almost concealed his gray eyes like wet fans, he has aristocratic nose, high cheekbones, and grimacing lips.   His gray eyes darkened until they were coal black, hinting a warning that a storm will come.  Suddenly, Chae Won felt small regret forming on her chest with his expression.  But she had to remind herself that the man is despicable despite his good looks.

 

                 She stared at him hard, raising a brow.  “What? Do you also want to punch and throw a drink at me?” she challenged him, her eyes darkened.  He clenched his jaw while clenching his fists.  “You’re not only a ert but weak as well,” she continued.  He frowned darkly.  “And why, may I ask, would you say that?” he asked politely, too politely.

 

                 She smirked.  “Look at you. You’re quarreling with a woman, won’t that make you weak and shameless?” she asked flippantly.  She heard some short laughter coming from the other men.  This time, he looked hard at her.  Inwardly, Chae Won felt squirming beneath his silent scrutiny but she held her ground.  She saw him opened his mouth to speak but before a word came out, Chae Won whirled around, and grasping Gyuri’s hand, she went out of the room dragging behind a baffled Gyuri.

 

                 When they were finally alone in the room, Gyuri turned around abruptly, her face in barely controlled anger. “Did you realize what you’ve just done?” she almost shouted.  Chae Won carelessly flung aside the wig along with the veil as she sat on the couch.  She looked at her straightly. “Did you see what he did to me?” she asked.

 

                 Gyuri rolled her eyes. “What do you expect?  You are a dancer and part and parcel of your job is to seduce those men.  Did you expect them to act saintly while we dance on their laps? Grow up!” Gyuri shouted as she angrily undressed leaving her stockings and garter belt.  Chae Won sighed as she followed her lead. Undressing, she absently looked at the mirror when all of a sudden the door opened, an old woman with a harassed expression marched to the room.

 

                 “You whining little beggar,” she hissed as she looked at Chae Won. “I should have known when I hired you that you would embarrass me.  Who do you think you are?”

 

                 Chae Won began dabbing her heavy make up as she answered her. “I’m just protecting myself,” she said mildly as she sat on the stool. Hands on hips, the old woman laughed.  “Why? Did you really expect those men to respect you? Look at you,” the old woman scanned her from head to toe “-you looked like a e.  Don’t ever assume that you could get a cent from me. Not a red cent!” the old woman flared. Chae Won threw the tissue flippantly as she stood up.  Whirling around, she regarded the old woman. “Good because I quit,” she said, reaching for her bag.  The old woman whirled around angrily as she stalked Chae Won to the dressing room.  Chae Won found her clothes and slipped them on. 

 

                 “You ungrateful little ,” the old woman hissed.  “The moment you step out of here, don’t ever expect me to welcome you again!”  Chae Won regarded the old woman. “I won’t,” she said, slipping her jeans.  She snatched her bag once again, leaving behind the shocked women.  The party had progressed when she stepped out but Chae Won slipped at the back door until she found her exit.  Now she had to budget the little money that she had to afford a ride home.  Her tears came unchecked as she embraced herself, feeling the cold wind blowing from every direction.