Chapter FOUR

The Family Crusade
 
"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet,
Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened,
vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved."

 

Chapter Four 

 

            Reaching mechanically for a crusty roll which she broke open, Chae Won scanned her surroundings once again.   The elegant restaurant encompassed driftwood tables and silver brass The overhead trapeze hung above them in white spidery lace while the chandeliers illuminated the place, playing light and shadows over the vast area.  Luxurious gilt-edged sofas upholstered in ivory brocade were organized into inviting seating groups scattered around the granite terrazzo.

            A waiter slid a bowl of shrimp bisque infront of her, while animated conversations and bursts of laughter swirled around her, blending with the soft clink of flatware against China.  Her eyes went automatically to the other occupants of the restaurant, clad in their immaculately sharp suits and elegant formal wear.  Obviously, the restaurant was meant to cater bejeweled women in fabulous gowns and fur, Chae Won thought wryly as she uncomfortably adjusted her white top tucked on her washed out, well-worn jeans. 

            A soft chuckle interrupted her train of thought and her eyes were automatically drawn to Hyun Joong infront of her.  His amused eyes looked at her knowingly as he sipped his champagne.  “Stop fidgeting Chae Won,” he said.

            Chae Won glared at him as she chews the roll. She wouldn’t have been admitted in the foyer a while ago if she weren’t with him.  “Easy for you to say. You’re dressed,” she said, her eyes swiftly scanned his formal suit.  She sighed as she looked at him. “This restaurant is really nice. But you should have told me there’s a dress code here,” she said sheepishly as she looked at her clothing uncomfortably.

            Hyun Joong chuckled at her quip as his eyes looked at her straightly. “You don’t really need elegant clothes to make you attractive Chae Won,” he said, his eyes wrinkled in the corners.  “Just look at the way they stare at you,” he remarked while pointedly looked at the other tables.

            Chae Won snorted as she went back to work on her lobster. “You’re just saying that because you’re my friend. And in the first place, they are staring at me because of my inappropriate clothing.” With effort, she cut through her lobster and dipped it with the vinaigrette.

            “So how’s work?” she asked, looking at him while she worked on her lobster.

            “It’s good,” he shrugged. “We can finally push through with the project. And that-,” he added, as he looked at her. “-I am promoted as the head of the Sales Department.”

            Chae Won looked at him, open-mouthed.  He chuckled. “Close your mouth if you don’t want flies to fill that in.” She did, but she still looked at him, aghast.

            “Congratulations!” she suddenly blurted out, making heads turned from every direction.  “How come you’re only telling this now?” she asked accusingly, while an awed smile was pasted on her face as she looked at him. 

            He chuckled as he reached for her hand. Chae Won lifted her brows at him. “It wouldn’t be possible without you,” he said softly. 

           He sobered.  “You’re the only one who believed in me, Chae Won.”  She smiled as she tightened her grip on him. “You were always good in everything that you do, Hyun Joong.” she said sincerely.  “I always believe in you,” she added.

           “Oh, isn’t that sweet,” a sultry feminine voice on the background sidetracked them.  Chae Won gazed at the glamorous woman standing beside their table clad in a turquoise silk shirt and white gabardine pants, while pumps peeked beneath her. Next to her, she felt like a maid with her attire.  Immediately, she withdrew her hand from Hyun Joong. 

           Hyun Joong stiffened and stared back at the newly arrived woman. “Dasom,” he said, his voice has a positive chill to it.  The woman looked at him, then to Chae Won who inspected her from head to toe that Chae Won felt like an insect all of a sudden, being inspected under a microscope.  The woman looked at her with a satisfied smile. She shifted on her seat uncomfortably as she looked back at the woman.

           “Chae Won, this is Lee Dasom, Head of the Design Department of the company,” Hyun Joong started to introduce. “Dasom, this is my friend Kim Chae Won.”

           “Nice to meet you, Dasom,” she said politely, while offering her hand for a handshake.  Dasom looked at her outstretched hand then to her.  “Friend?” she asked, as her eyes darted to hers once again. A sneering smile tugged on her lips as she looked back at Hyun Joong, “Quite a change of taste I see.”Awkwardly, Chae Won withdrew her hand. 

           Hyun Joong looked at Dasom grimly.  “We are in a middle of something Dasom. I’ll appreciate it if you’ll go away,” he said brusquely. Chae Won winced at his callous words but the woman only laughed. “Ouch,” she said.  “Well, don’t worry. I am here with someone else,” she said as she turned her head on the direction of the entrance, which gave Chae Won a chance to sigh her temporary reprieve from the searching gaze of the woman.

           “I’m here, Joongki,” the woman voiced to her companion. Chae Won stiffened.  She had only heard that name once before. And she doesn’t want to remember that particular moment when she had stooped low and been humiliated.

           Still, Joongki can be a common name, she tried to convince herself. But, as she heard the approaching footsteps, her fingers instinctively tightened on her wineglass while her eyes were focused absently on the lobster on her plate. 

            Her heart thudded painfully on her chest when in her peripheral vision, she saw the man stopped near their table, but she still kept her eyes focused on her plate.  She saw Hyun Joong stood up suddenly and turned to the direction of the man.

           “Joongki,” Hyun Joong said, clear surprise and excitement on his voice, as he turned to fully face him. “I can’t believe it!” he said. A chuckle escaped from the newly arrived man. “Good to see you Hyun Joong,” as he offered his hand to him. 

           Chae Won heard the whole exchange while keeping her eyes on her plate.  She cannot seem to stop her shaking.  She could feel the beads of sweat gathering on her forehead, while her fingers shook as she sipped the champagne, carefully averting her eyes. Surely, this Joongki infront of her is not the Joongki she met at the stag party.

           For Christ’s sake, let this be over and just look at him!, her mind shouted in agony.  But she can’t seem to find the courage to do it. Animatedly, the conversation infront of her floated in her mind and she was too preoccupied with her thoughts that it was a moment later before she realized that Hyun Joong is introducing her to him.

           With shaking knees, she stood up while inwardly praying and hoping that her assumption is incorrect.  With lowered eyelids, her eyes met gleaming loafers, dark gray chinos, and immaculate gray suit.  She hesitated when her gaze landed on his neck, then with inward sigh of apprehension, her eyes stared straightly at him.

           A soft gasp escaped hers as her eyes met his gaze, her eyes widening in sudden jolt of recognition.  His dark eyes narrowed that Chae Won felt her heart almost burst in her chest with the tension.

           “-Chae Won, this is our CEO’s son, Song Joongki who is also a good friend of mine.  Joongki, this is my friend, Kim Chae Won,” Hyun Joong introduced.  But Chae Won vaguely heard his words as her unbelieving eyes focused on his.

           It was dark during the stag party but her eyes are not deceiving her.  This man standing infront of her is the same man who had publicly insulted her and molested her last month. 

           The same air of arrogance that she had instantly abhorred is too familiar as she continued staring at him.  His dark gaze lingered on hers that Chae Won has the terrible feeling that he had recognized her. 

           It seemed like an eternity before she realized that his hand was raised for a handshake.  “Miss Kim,” he said, his baritone voice void with any hint of recognition.  Too many emotions are clamoring for space on her chest with his words, from fear to relief, from misery to reprieve, as she realized that the man did not recognized her, but she could still feel her heart beating furiously on her chest.

           Inwardly thanking her luck, she cleared and answered the handshake. “Mr. Song,” she said, thankful her voice didn’t shake but her hand betrayed her as it touched his, her tremors too visible which made her hastily withdrew her arm.    She inwardly heaved a sigh of relief.  If she could be lucky, she may get out of this situation unscathed but Hyun Joong’s next words stilled her.

           “Care to join us, Joongki?” Hyun Joong asked, unaware of the havoc the man is causing on Chae Won.  Hyun Joong’s eyes transferred to Chae Won. “Do you mind Chae Won if we share a table with them?” he asked politely. 

           Ofcourse I mind! Chae Won wanted to shout at his face.  Her eyes went on him, pleading him silently, praying that he would read her thought. Choosing her words with caution, she said, “We couldn’t insist, Hyun Joong.  Maybe they have a reserved table already.”

           Hyun Joong’s eyes went questioningly to Joongki’s.  “Thank you. Miss Lee and I wouldn’t mind at all,” Joongki addressed to Hyun Joong, as if he didn’t hear her words.  Chae Won stiffened as he looked at her.  His gaze went back to hers.  He didn’t give any sign yet of recognizing her but she still felt trapped, especially when the maitre provided two seats on their round table.

           Numbly, she took her seat once again.  Hyun Joong sat on her left while Joongki took the seat on her right.  Dasom sat directly infront of her.  She took a dainty bite of her lobster while carefully averting her eyes on his direction. The sumptuous food tasted bland with her sudden loss of appetite. As long as he won’t recognize her, she could survive this, she thought agonizingly.

           “So what is special here?” Joongki asked, as he leafed through the menu. The maitre provided choices and when he and Dasom had finally ordered, he looked straightly at Hyun Joong. “So it’s been what?” he asked. “Five years when I last saw you?”

           Hyun Joong smiled in response.  “More like six years,” he said. “I can’t believe it when rumors began to circulate on the company that you’re finally back. With your brother’s honeymoon on the progress, you’re the only one who could handle Hyung’s work,” he said. “I’m sure your father is thrilled to have you back,” he said as an afterthought. 

           Joongki shrugged. “The old cow is too thrilled that he had to chain me in order to come back here,” he said nonchalantly while taking a sip of his champagne.  Chae Won almost choked on her champagne but she managed her face to be expressionless. 

           Typical of him, she thought. What an insolent jerk! He could even call his father an old cow. 

           Hyun Joong only laughed.  “You mean old tiger, not old cow. The CEO is not called an old tiger for nothing,” he said, chuckling. “Anyway, when did you arrived?” he asked, while sipping his champagne.

           “A month ago,” he said unflappably.

           “A month!” Hyun Joong exclaimed in surprise. “How did you manage to escape the reporters?”

           “I’ve been busy,” came the response. “Attended a party or two,” he said.  “A stag party in particular,” he said, as an afterthought. Chae Won automatically stiffened when she felt rather than saw him stare at her direction. 

           Surely he didn’t really recognize her? She is wearing heavy make-up and wig that night and it is way too dark for him to see her face clearly.

           Keeping her face expressionless, she reached for her asparagus and began to chew manfully on it.  If she could help it, she won’t let herself be recognized by him by reacting to every word that he said.  She would only embarrass herself further if she would answer back to him scornfully and turned out that he didn’t really recognize her. 

          It might even help her if she wasn’t too rattled by the whole situation, of having him too close to her for her comfort and sanity.  She felt trapped in a corner where she doesn’t know how to escape. 

           And she should really stop reacting too severely on his every statement or else he’ll end up recognizing her in the end! Keeping that thought in mind, she focused again on her meal, wishing that this dreadful lunch would be over soon. But with the continued conversation between the two men, she doubts if she could get out of this situation soon.

           “A stag party?” came Hyun Joong’s amused response.  “You didn’t really waste your time, Joongki,” he said knowingly.

           Joongki shrugged, as their orders arrived made of Smoked lamb, Fettuccini pasta, baked asparagus, and lemon vinaigrette. They ate in silence for several minutes which Chae Won found utterly relieving.  Though, she could still feel her anxiety refusing to go away with the passing minute.           

           “So Hyun Joong,” Dasom began to speak, her eyes lit in amusement. “What is really your relationship with Miss Kim here?” she asked politely, as she pointedly looked at Chae Won. “Surely, a man like you wouldn’t waste his time building a friendship with a woman, knowing you,” she said, as she twirled her pasta with her fork.

           Chae Won felt rather than saw Hyun Joong stiffened with her words. She could see the annoyance that crossed his face but she doesn’t really understand his reaction towards the woman ever since she arrived. Sure, the woman wasn’t entirely pleasant but Hyun Joong’s reactions towards her made Chae Won suspects that something is going on between the two. 

           As if Dasom didn’t ask him a question, Hyun Joong pointedly asked a question of his own to Joongki about his stay on the states. But surprisingly, Joongki seconded Dasom’s question.

           “I am curious too about you two,” he said flippantly. “Are you two dating?” he asked. Chae Won saw him looked at her direction.

           Unable to suppress her growing irritation of her cowardice anymore, she looked at him straightly and said, “We’re only friends, Mr. Song.”  Thankful that her voice didn’t shake, she added to Dasom’s benefit as she stared back at the other woman, “Hyun Joong and I were childhood friends.”

           Dasom’s brows rose in response as she saw Hyun Joong slid his hand against Chae Won on the table. Chuckling, Hyun Joong said, “I would have wanted more but I don’t think we’re getting on that level.” Chae Won stared at him, taken aback. Surely he doesn’t mean what she thought he meant.  “Yet,” he said, as an afterthought.

           Still clutching her arm, his eyes stared back to Joongki’s imperturbable gaze. “We’re really good friends Joongki.  Nothing more,” he said.

           Chae Won dared to look at Joongki’s profile.  Last time she saw him on the stag party, his face had been drenched by the wine that she had unwittingly threw to his face, his expression then had been contorted with mixed shock and anger. Now, his expression is unreadable as he looked at Hyun Joong that she shivered.  But despite that and her uneasiness, she couldn’t deny the fact that the man is too attractive.  His dark hair contrasted dramatically with the white shirt that he wore beneath his suit.  His steady gray eyes with the incredibly long dark lashes that are almost fanning his cheekbones.  The corner of his lips turned upwards as his gaze abruptly went to hers.

           Chae Won found herself staring back at his gray eyes.  She had the feeling that time has suspended.  Tried as she might, she cannot seem to stop staring at him.  It took her moments later to realize that Dasom asked her a question.

           Dazed, her gaze went to Dasom. “I’m sorry. What?” she asked distractedly.

          “I asked in what company are you working Miss Kim?” she repeated, her brows rose, waiting.

           Chae Won cleared before answering.  “Telecomm,” she said.  “I work as a secretary,” she added absently as she reached for her champagne flute refilled by the waiter.

           “A secretary?” Dasom repeated, her amused eyes went to Hyun Joong.  “You really have a thing for them, huh?” she asked him pointedly. Chae Won stiffened with the implied remark.  Before Hyun Joong could respond, Dasom turned her attention to Chae Won once again.

           “I’m sorry, Miss Kim,” she started, though she doesn’t sound apologetic at all, “-I’m just surprised. Considering your job, you must have met plenty of men in your work.”  Her gaze looked at her blouse pointedly. “Surely, one of them might have noticed you and provided you with something,” she remarked carelessly.

           Her meaning is too obvious that Chae Won has the urge to slap her face. 

           “Dasom,” Hyun Joong began to warn.

           Clenching her fist, “That’s uncalled for, Miss Lee, but I forgive the insult,” Chae Won started, trying to suppress her anger. “But judging someone’s character based on the kind of occupation or the way a person dresses is too shallow by half, don’t you think?”

           She saw Dasom’s eyes narrowed in slits.  opened to speak but Chae Won cut her off. “And what’s wrong with being a secretary?” she asked. “It’s a noble occupation. And tell me, Miss Lee, aren’t you the head of your department?”

           Without waiting for her response, Chae Won continued, “How could you say those kinds of things when I’m sure that you are surrounded by dozens of secretaries ready to do your bidding?  Sure you are the boss, but you cannot function without them.  You cannot do your job without a secretary on your side. And that’s a fact that you are well aware of,” she finished.

           Reaching for her champagne, she gratefully drank it in one swallow.  Returning her gaze on the other woman, she could clearly see that she had stunned her.  Good, she thought. Dasom looked at her disbelievingly.  open to speak but no words came out.

           Recovering from his shock, Hyun Joong chuckled and regarded Chae Won with approving look, “Very well said, Chae Won.” His gaze transferred to Dasom, his eyes turned cold as he raked his gaze on her.  Without giving her the decency of words, he turned his attention to Joongki.

           “Chae Won here-,” he started, as he reached for Chae Won’s hand once again on top of the table. “-doesn’t only work as a secretary,” he said, his gaze went to Chae Won. “She is actually managing an orphanage,” he said proudly.

           “An orphanage!” Dasom exclaimed in shock, her eyes widening. 

           As if anticipating another round of insults from her, Hyun Joong added, “And she does a terrific job of it,” his eyes beaming with pride. “Even if she doesn’t expect anything in return, she is doing it for years already.”

           Chae Won felt Joongki’s eyes on her. Chae Won inwardly groaned.  Hyun Joong doesn’t have to say those things infront of these people. Especially infront of Joongki.  Refusing to look at him, she withdrew her hand from Hyun Joong’s hold and absently bit a slice of asparagus.

           “Really?” Joongki drawled, his gaze focused on her bowed head. “An orphanage?”

           Valiantly, she met his gray eyes straightly. “Yes, Mr. Song. An orphanage,” her eyes daring him to challenge her statement. “Do you find it distasteful?” she asked mildly, already preparing her immediate retort in case he did, but his next words almost rendered her speechless.

           He smiled lightly as he sipped his champagne. “For someone with a ‘noble occupation,’ I’m surprised that you are running an orphanage at all, Miss Kim,” he said bluntly, as he stared back at her.

           Chae Won frowned.  The way he emphasized her previous words about having a noble occupation didn’t escape her hearing. Surely she misread his meaning.  But, why does she have the feeling that his words are laced with another meaning?

           With caution, she said, “I don’t know what you mean, Mr. Song. If you’re implying the lack of funds, I can assure you that I can manage it and I have my ways.”

           A smile tugged on his lips as he said, “I’m sure you do, Miss Kim. After all, with your ‘noble occupation,’ you met many benefactors that could help you with the orphanage.  Am I right?” he asked, his brows rose.

           Chae Won took a slow breath, calming her nerves.  She could feel again the escalating uneasiness enveloping her.  She doesn’t know what he is thinking. Too scared to make her move for fear that a wrong move will trap her.  She felt herself being tangled on a web design to lure her and trap her.   

           Trying to ease her storm, she stared at him straightly. “Ofcourse, Mr. Song.  Like any other people, I for one, also need others,” she said.

           “And with this ‘need,’ are you being satisfied?” he asked evenly, his gray eyes leveled on hers.

           Chae Won inhaled sharply, her eyes widening at the ual innuendo. Or maybe it was just a figment of her imagination. She could herself being tangled more on the web.  She must not lose her cool, she thought.  There is still a chance that he didn’t really recognize her on the stag party. Maybe he was just forming polite conversation with her that she is just unwittingly giving double meaning.

           Averting her eyes from his, she voiced out uncomfortably, “We’re not just talking about finances.  Basically, it is needed to keep an orphanage on running. But I also believed that moral support from others is also important.  Without it, I wouldn’t have handled it.”

           His brows rose. “Moral support? I don’t know that others could support you on what you are doing,” he remarked.

           Chae Won looked at him sharply. Unquestionably, his statements are laced with double meaning.  She tried so hard to suppress them, trying to ignore them as a figment of her imagination. But how could she when everytime he speaks, she has the feeling that she is unknowingly playing with fire.

           “What are you saying Mr. Song?” her eyes challenging him. 

           He shrugged.   “You tell me Miss Kim.  It would be hard to convince others to support you with what you are doing.  What I mean is who would have heard of a woman with a ‘noble occupation’ like yours could gain support?”

           “Are you saying Mr. Song that a secretary can’t make a difference?” she asked, irritated with his arrogance and superiority.

           His lips turned upwards in one corner. “Secretary? Who is talking about a secretary? I meant, your ‘noble occupation’ Miss Kim.” His gray eyes focused intently on her that Chae Won felt beads of sweat began to gather on her forehead.  Uneasiness evaded her senses and her heart began to thunder violently against her chest.

           Does this mean that he recognized her? Is the despicable man talking about her ‘noble occupation’ as a dancer? As the ‘e’ of the stag party last month? All along, did he mean that kind of occupation? Her fist clenched on her knife and it didn’t escape his vision. Seeing her reaction made him smirked. 

           “I don’t know what you’re trying to imply Joongki,” Hyun Joong said at last. He frowned in confusion as he said, “Others support Chae Won-”

           “And that includes you?” Joongki asked curiously, cutting him off.

           “Ofcourse,” Hyun Joong said. “I support her in everything that she does-”

           “Interesting,” Joongki interrupted once again.  “How long did you say you knew each other?”

           “Since were children,” came the response. “We grew up together,” he said.

           That made Joongki stopped for a few moment before he continued, “Then you must be one hell of a friend to support her in ‘everything that she does.’”

           Chae Won stiffened from his remark. God, she thought.  If her assumption is right, that the bastard already recognized her, Please make him shut his mouth, she prayed silently.  She had been friends with Hyun Joong for a long time but she could not risk destroying that friendship if he will learn that she had stoop low and had almost subjected herself to ion.  She doesn’t know if he could understand her. 

           Please God, Please don’t let this man destroy me in Hyun Joong’s eyes.

           An incoming call in the background almost stilled her fast heartbeat.  The call came from Hyun Joong’s phone.  With nerve shattering relief, she saw him reached for his phone and asking permission at his companions, he went outside to answer the call.  That leaved her easily with the other occupants of the table.  Joongki sipped his champagne as if nothing extraordinary happened.  She gritted her teeth, her fists clenching below the table cloth. 

           Dasom began to initiate Joongki to a form of conversation while looking pointedly at Chae Won as she placed her hand intimately on Joongki’s.  Chae Won almost rolled her eyes.  If the other woman only knew that she felt grateful for engaging the man in a conversation.  She could not tolerate his presence any longer.  She wanted to leave immediately. But she is too afraid to leave the loathsome man and Hyun Joong for fear of exposing her secret to her friend.

           “When will you start working?” Dasom asked Joongki, her fingers holding on his arm like talons.

           “As long as I’m ready,” came his lazy response as he leaned closer to Dasom.

           Dasom smiled seductively as she puts her other hand against his chest. “I want to get ready for you,” she said, her voice almost purring, her eyes bright. “But first you have to start it slow.  You don’t want to exert yourself with your first try.”

           His arm went caressingly on her exposed forearm. “When I work, I work hard and fast,” he drawled. “Even with the first try.”

           Chae Won averted her gaze from them, she could feel herself blushing. Disgusting, she thought. These two really deserved each other.  Impatiently, her gaze went searchingly for Hyung Joong but it seems like he was too preoccupied with his phone call.

           A giggle from Dasom brought her gaze back to them.  Joongki had said something on her ear that made her giggle.  She has the feeling that they forgot that she was there.  Chae Won has the revolting thought that these two could very well be making out inside the restaurant. Soon.

           She stood up abruptly, making the two looked up to her.  “I have to go to the powder room,” she said, before hastily snatching her bag and went searchingly for the powder room.  Inside, she washed her face vigorously with the water, trying to clear her mind.  Her gaze landed on the mirror infront of her. 

 

 

 

           She didn’t wear any make up even when they entered the restaurant which made her unhesitatingly wash her face.  Inspecting her reflection, all she could see is a pale face, ordinary eyes, small nose, and thin lips.  Her dark wavy hair is on a tight bun.  Looking at the mirror, she looked different from the woman who had emerged from a huge cake on a stag party wearing a short white dress, orange wig, and heavy make-up.  She looked too different.

           So how come, she thought agonizingly, How come he recognized me?

           She was sure of it.  She felt his intense knowing gaze, the double meaning of his every word, and his gestures.  She felt herself being lured in a trap that he had designed to expose herself.  Maybe he is having second guesses if she is the woman that he had met during the stag party, so he is baiting her.

           But then, let me be wrong, she prayed earnestly. Please let me be wrong.

           But despite her denial, she felt like she had never been more correct.  The man had recognized her, whether she likes it or not.  All she could do from now on is to let this lunch end without Hyun Joong knowing what she had done with that night one month ago.  She doesn’t want to lie to him but she doesn’t want to lose him. 

           It’s not that I don’t consider Hyun Joong as an honorable person, she thought.  Hyun Joong may accept what she had done and would still remain as her friend, but she doesn’t want him to pity her, for stooping so low, as to almost ing herself.

           With renewed strength, she faced the mirror once again and began dabbing her moist face with her handkerchief.  Brushing her heavy hair, she fixed her bun.

           I wouldn’t let the bastard hold me down, she thought with conviction. She’ll show him.  If he really intend to expose her infront of Hyun Joong, she will counteract him with her words before he succeeded. 

           Clutching the necklace dangling on her neck absently, she reached for her bag and went outside. Too preoccupied is she with her thoughts that it was a moment later before she recognized the figure infront of her, leaning negligently against the wall of the corridor, with his arms crossed across his chest, his gray eyes looking at her mockingly.  Her fists automatically clenched but she kept her face serene as she passed him. 

           She had only passed him when he spoke, “Noble occupation, huh?” he blurted out, a smirk formed on his lips.  She ceased walking and stared back at his profile.  “What are you trying to insinuate Mr. Song?” she asked coldly.

           Joongki shrugged and Chae Won learned to detest his uncaring and casual attitude when she felt her world turning upside down. With only a word from him, she is done.

           Turning to face her fully, he gazed at her lazily from head to toe, making Chae Won squirm inwardly.  His inspection lasted longer on her s which didn’t escape her vision. She longed to slap him. 

           “Entrancing,” he said finally, his eyes looking straightly at her. “From lethal, seductive maiden to an angelic woman. Your transformation is really astounding,” he remarked.  “I almost thought that you’re hiding your orange wig inside your bag and try to escape,” he added, sneering at her, plainly referring to the wig she wore during the stag party.

           Though she had expected this, Chae Won wasn’t prepared for the impact of his recognition of her from his very own lips.  She took in a deep breath and looked at him straightly. “So you knew,” she said lightly, amazed she didn’t break down even though she felt like collapsing.

           He quitted his instance from the wall and began to circle her while slowly inspecting her from head to toe.  Chae Won stood her ground even though she felt like running away. 

           “With your ability to change your appearance from one to another, do you know what you remind me of?” he asked politely, too politely as he stopped infront of her. She couldn’t trust herself to speak. She shook her head. 

           He leaned to her closer until his face is only inches away from hers.  Unable to stand the closeness, Chae Won turned her face away from him.  “A snake,” he whispered near her ear.

           She gasped out loud, her hand rose to slap him. But he had forestalled her movement and snatched her wrist. He chuckled at her expression. “Surely it suits you perfectly?” he asked mildly. “Like any snake, they tend to peel their skin every now and then.”  His eyes raked at her maliciously. “Tell me, does Hyun Joong even know that you are a e?”

           She glared at him furiously while trying futilely to escape his hold. But he only tightened his grip on her wrist. “I take that as a no,” he said, flinging her hand abruptly.

           “You don’t have any right,” she hissed. “You don’t know anything about me so stop pretending like you know me when you don’t,” she said sharply, as she tried to surpass him but he won’t budge.

           “And the part about the orphanage? Really clever,” he said, as his hands began to applaud her mockingly.  “Tell me-,” he started, “-how many men had fallen to that particular trick of yours? Just how many do you service?”

           “Stop it,” she whispered.

           “How many?” he persisted. He sneered. “I could see that Hyun Joong believed that particular charade of yours.”

           She stared at him coldly. “Don’t drag him into this.”

           “And the part about being a secretary?” he asked, as if he didn’t hear her. “Don’t you mean a e?”

           She stared at him straightly.  She had never been more humiliated and hurt deliberately by someone before.  But she would kill herself first before she would let this man know that he had affected her.  “If you’re through insulting me, let go of me,” she said evenly.

           He frowned at her.  Several tense moment had passed when he remarked, “He must have already using that well-used little body of yours. But heed my warning. Stay away from Hyun Joong.”

           Her eyes widened while his eyes darkened with determination. “If you don’t, I’ll have to tell him everything that I know.”

           She took in sharp intake of breaths as she stared at him straightly. But when she opened , it was calm and self-reassuring. She smiled at him sweetly. “I think you’ll find out sooner or later Mr. Song, that no matter how much you’ll try, he’ll always come back to me. I’m too good for him to pass up.”

           His gray eyes darkened until his pupils turned pitch black.  But she was too incensed to feel frightened.  Let him think ill of her, she thought furiously. He already did!

           She tried to pass by him but he seized her wrist abruptly, stopping her in midstride.  She gazed back at him coldly. “Is there any insult you neglect to tell me Mr. Song?”

           His unwavering gaze fixed on her as he said, “Yes,” he gritted. His eyes became more coal black than gray. “No matter how much you try to deceive anyone with your innocent aura, you're still nothing but a scheming little golddigger,” he said before brusquely shoving her on the side, almost making her lose her balance in the process.