Chapter FIVE

The Family Crusade
 
“Depression weighs you down like a rock in a river. You don't stand a chance.
You can fight and pray and hope you have the strength to swim, but sometimes, you have to let yourself sink.
Because you'll never know true happiness until someone or something pulls you back out of that river--
and you'll never believe it until you realize it was you, yourself who saved you.”

 

Chapter Five 

 

 

           A tense silence passed on the three occupants of the round table being shaded by a white umbrella.  Taking a dainty bite of their food, their wavering gazes wandered over the unoccupied seat. Another maid laid platters of cinnamon flavored Hotteok pancakes and grilled Tteokgakbi Kkochi in their table.

           The butler, Mr. Seo approached them and announced the arrival of their guest. The three of them stiffened on their seats as they looked uncertainly on the exit of the labyrinth. Song Joongki noticed their guarded expressions just as he exited from the green maze.  He smirked as he approached them.  His amused gaze studied the three people who seemed tense and uncomfortable.  Without waiting for their invitation, he sat down between his brother and father and settled his ankle across one knee and leaned lazily against his seat.

            His gaze wandered on Hyuna who cannot seem to look straight at him. She looked beautiful as usual. Some locks of her auburn hair escaped her French braid and skimmed her exposed neck and shoulders.

         “Hello Hyuna,” he greeted. She looked up and his unwavering gaze caught hers. “Marriage becomes you,” he remarked.

            “Thank you,” she said after a moment. “So nice of you to answer our invitation,” she added before she reached her glass and drank.

            He nodded and transferred his gaze on his father. “You’re awfully silent,” he observed, raising a brow. Sehun cleared his throat. “Father is just shocked just as I am that you answered our request for your presence today, Joongki. As busy as you are,” he remarked. Joongki looked at his brother. Sehun smiled as he tapped Joongki’s shoulder. “Thank you for being here,” he said.

            “Ofcourse he is busy,” his father finally said. With vehemence, he added, “Attending useless parties and such.”

            Joongki transferred his gaze to his father. He smirked. “My. You’ve been busy,” he mocked. “Did your dogs also tell you about the women I met?”

            His father’s eyes darkened in anger. Sehun cleared his throat. “Joongki,” he warned. “We hired those men since you’re not answering our past invitations to you. In fact, we are really surprised that you are here now. What made your mind?” he asked, trying to divert the topic.

          Joongki transferred his gaze on his brother. He shrugged as he reached for a glass of water. “I have no parties to attend today,” he said nonchalantly. Putting down the glass, he added, “And I’m bored.”

            The abrupt slam of his father’s hand against the table caused the other three to look at the old man. His furious gaze on Joongki as he said, “Is that what you think of this family? A temporary diversion from your worthless lifestyle?”

            “Father,” Sehun interrupted. “That’s not what Joongki meant,” he said.

            “What matters my reason father?” Joongki asked as he took a dainty bite of his sandwich.  “My presence doesn’t seem to matter to you before, why now?” he asked evenly. He looked at his father, raising a brow.

            Joongki could see the effort his father is making to keep calm and he smirked.  His father frowned at him as he said, “Two weeks from now, we will going to celebrate the golden anniversary of your mother and I. Your presence is required.”

            Joongki smirked. “My. Old age didn’t diminish your memory. By chance, will your mistress also attend the party?” he mocked.

            “Joongki!” Sehun almost shouted.  Joongki transferred his gaze on his brother and said, “I don’t know if it is just me or that you forgot why mother died in the first place.” His voice has a positive chill to it as he gazed back at his silent father, all pretense of amusement banished from him.

           “Don’t insult her memory by celebrating your anniversary when she committed suicide because of you.” Hyuna and Sehun gasped but Joongki didn’t notice, too preoccupied is he with his father’s reaction.

            His father’s fork dropped on his platter. He averted his gaze from Joongki and heaved a sigh. He looked at Joongki again when he said, “I don’t know how many times I will tell you how sorry I am for what happened, Joongki. And Jessica-”       

            He stopped when he saw Joongki’s eyes darkened dangerously. “Don’t mention that stinking name to me,” he warned. “If you think your sins will be washed out just by celebrating your anniversary, you’re deluding yourself,” he added.

            A tense silence passed.  Joongki transferred his gaze on the shocked face of Hyuna. He forced a smile as he said for her benefit, “That must be a shock to you, knowing how strict he is on his requirements of a daughter-in-law.” He smirked. “But don’t worry, I’m sure he won’t make a pass on you. Maybe.”

            The other three gasped at his crude remark. Sehun spilled his drink as he stared disbelievingly at him. Joongki reached for the white wine and took a sip. 

           “Joongki, that’s unfair,” his father said through gritted teeth. His hand shook violently against his glass.

            Joongki put down his glass and regarded his father through raised brows. “How else should I think?” he retorted. “Ten years ago, I saw my mother jumped from the roof without her knowing that I was there,” he said calmly though his jaw tightened. 

           “She killed herself because she cannot convince you to give up your mistress. She even begged you, didn’t she? But what did you do? You ignored her pleas.”

            Joongki had the grim pleasure of having his father’s reaction. His father took a swallow of his water. Joongki transferred his gaze on Hyuna as he said, “Then eight years later, that would be two years ago, my father celebrated her death anniversary by seeing the same mistress. Now tell me, how else should I think?”

            Hyuna stood up and said, “I need to see what’s taking the next course.” Then she exited tactfully, leaving them. Sehun heaved a sigh when Hyuna went out of sight. He looked at Joongki and regarded him with a pleading look.

            “Joongki, I know you’re hurt. We all are. But the past is past. We need to start all over again,” Sehun said. Joongki shrugged and stood up.  “I lost my appetite. See you later Hyung. And before I forget, congratulations on your marriage. Give my regards to your wife,” he said and without giving his father a courtesy of a farewell, he turned his back on them.

           “Joongki,” his father’s voice called out. He continued walking. “Please come to the party,” he said.  Joongki didn’t stop for a moment. Clenching his fists, he entered the labyrinth without looking back.

 

 

            “What is wrong with you Joongki?” a feminine voice called. He stopped in midstride and stood facing Hyuna. Long ago, her beauty awed him, now it only      added to his mounting fury. Ignoring her, he continued walking. He felt her hand tugged his sleeve. He stopped and stared at her.

            “Do you really need to say that to Chairman? Why not let go of the past? It’s not that-”

            “Just because you married my brother doesn’t mean you could say anything that you want in my face,” he cut off brusquely, shaking away her hand. He looked at her straightly. “As ambitious as you are, you might want to turn also your attention to my father. He likes them young and hot in bed,” he added cruelly.

            Her eyes widened in shock and fury. Her hand rose to slap him but he forestalled her movement and caught her wrist. He laughed mockingly. “That was a compliment,” he said softly, as his eyes scanned her red face and the rise and fall of her chest. His eyes gazed back to hers and said, “I don’t doubt my brother finally found how amazingly inventive you are in bed. I could still remember a few tricks that you taught me.”

            Her face reddened and tried to snatch her hand back but his grip tightened.

            “You bastard,” she whispered.

           He laughed derisively. “I didn’t pretend otherwise. But tell me Hyuna,” he said, his voice became deliberately soft and seductive. He leaned to her ear. “Do you think of me whenever you are ing him?”

          She gasped as she pushed him. She had succeeded in escaping his arms. She glared at him. “You bastard!” she hissed. “I don’t regret leaving you! You are nothing like Sehun oppa. You are not half the man he is! You’re despicable!”

           He smirked as he puts his hands on his pockets and turned his back on her.  “If I am half the man my brother is, I would be boring.”

           “Do me a favor and don’t come to the party!” she shouted at his back but he doesn’t seem to have heard her as he disappeared from her view.

 

 

           Chae Won laid down the last bill on her desk. Her hand touched her aching forehead. It seemed like the mountainous pile of bills cannot seem to stop pouring on the orphanage.  If it goes like this, she would have no choice but to sell her necklace. She heaved a sigh and clutched the necklace on her hand. That would be her last option.

          Her salary as a secretary is quite enough for her everyday needs but not enough to sustain the orphanage. The funds needed are quite beyond her budget.  Pride stops her whenever she thought of asking her friends for help.

            She let out a frustrated sigh and looked at the photograph of the late mother superior. Her fingers touched the woman’s face, almost aching for the old woman’s warmth but all she touched is cold pane glass. She could feel the prick of tears in her eyes and her hands automatically dabbed the threatening tears.

            “How touching,” a voice interrupted. Chae Won automatically looked up, her hand on .  Her whole countenance fell when she recognized Park Chanyeol on the doorway, a satisfied smirk on his face. The balding middle aged man dressed gawkily on tailored suit closed the door and clicked it shut. He turned his full gaze on her.  Shaking inwardly, she stood up.

            “Hello Chae Won,” he said. She nodded jerkily. Of all people, why him?

            “I never expected you to come here yourself, Mr. Park,” she snapped. “Last time I talked with your agent, I thought we had an agreement.”

            “An agreement we have,” he agreed as he stepped forward and sat on the chair facing her desk. He propped his feet carelessly on her desk, staining the papers. Exhaling sharply, she said, “Then why are you here?”

            He shrugged. “I just came to see how the children are faring,” he said. She scoffed as she stared disbelievingly at him. “Don’t mock me, Mr. Park,” she snapped. “If you really care what happens to the children, then you shouldn’t insist on building one of your malls here.”

            “True,” he said. “Though I’m just curious how you are coping with this,” he said. “With the little wages you received from your job, I doubt if you’ll meet my deadline.”

            Fury entered her chest when she realized that she was investigated by his men. “Thanks for your concern,” she said derisively. She sat down once again. “I am busy. If you don’t have anything else to say, feel free to use the door,” she said before shoving the papers infront of her.

            She felt his eyes on her. She grimaced inwardly when he stood up and approached her. He leaned his hip against the desk and stood staring down at her. She retreated and when she didn’t look up, his hand fell to her chin and forcefully raised her face. Her eyes clashed with his.

            “You know, if you really wanted to save this orphanage, there is an easier option,” he said as his lecherous gaze checked her s.  His gaze didn’t escape her vision and she is seeing red. She slapped his hand away and stood up, glaring at him.

            “Get out!” she shouted. “Get out before I call the police.”

           His eyes reflected sudden anger. “Who do you think you’re talking to, !?” he shouted. He stood up and tried to approach her. Retreating a step, her back hit the wall. Seeing her trapped, his eyes gleamed elatedly. “Don’t be such a coy, Chae Won,” he said softly. “I knew you even ed yourself because you care for those children so much. I admire you for that,” he said.

           He lounged at her abruptly but she was too quick for him.  She sidestepped him and opened one of her drawers. Her hand touched her dagger and brought it out.

            He stopped when he saw the dagger in her hands. His look turned murderous as he looked at her. Pointing the weapon on him, she said calmly, “If you take so much as a step to harm me, I would not hesitate to use this dagger on you. Guarantee it. But if you don’t believe me, feel free to take the risk. But then, I doubt if you’ll appreciate the scandal you’ll going to face and what would your lady wife say on this matter?”

            Pointing at the door, she said, “Now, be a good boy and head to the door. Now.” He hesitated then walked towards the door. When he reached the doorknob, he turned around abruptly. “You’ll definitely regret this,” he said furiously.

            She smiled nastily. “I’m sure I’ll regret not killing you today,” she said evenly. “Contact me through your agent but my offer still stands. I’m going to buy the land from you for three million yen and have the orphanage running.”

           “You are a fool if you think you could pay on time!” he exclaimed. “I am going to enjoy the day you’ll beg me on your knees, ,” he said nastily before slamming the door shut.