Chapter ONE

The Family Crusade

 

“There is no such thing as a "broken family." Family is family, and is not determined by marriage certificates, divorce papers, and adoption documents. Families are made in the heart. The only time family becomes null is when those ties in the heart are cut. If you cut those ties, those people are not your family. If you make those ties, those people are your family. And if you hate those ties, those people will still be your family because whatever you hate will always be with you.” 

 

Chapter One

 

                 The vast manor was built in the style of Joseon Dynasty’s Jagyeong-jeon building at the Gyeongbok Palace.  It sat atop a hill surrounded by diamond pine trees.  The trees extended themselves and casted shadows over the antiquity of the house.  At the front of the house, it provided a view of western influences as it casted a grand fountain with a nymph splashing water that oozes from her jar that fills the barrel a cascade of transparent water.  Water lilies spread their colors of purple and yellow with their scattered vascular bundles in the stems. In each side of the mansion, there stood giant walls of green patterned plants and shrubbery.  The green walls extended themselves at the back of the house and met in the center forming a complex mazelike network structure green labyrinth. 

 

                 It has been two years since he came to this place, but Joongki knew the place intimately and entered the labyrinth with slow, purposeful strides.  Music drifted in the air but he barely took notice of it.  Setting his feet on an arch exit, his gaze landed on the commotion before him.  Leaning his hip negligently against the side of the entrance, he crossed his arms across his chest, as he observed his surroundings dispassionately.  Boredom etched in every line on his face.

 

                 Obviously, spring had already announced its arrival in Korea with a blanket of yellow and white blossoms.  Cherry blossoms, apricot flowers, and cornus fruit trees are in full bloom as they spread their budding petals all over the place.  The party had already progressed.  The overflowing water of a gigantic swimming pool pours to another swimming pool, creating a waterfall effect.  A small suspension bridge divided the pools. The second pool continues to dispense the water.  The water streams along the rocky plateau until it reached the shoreline, meeting the ocean waves.             

 

                 Giant white umbrellas accommodate the guests.  Sophisticated and urbane people spread themselves around the areas, chatting inanimately.  Their voices compete with the music being played by the orchestra. 

 

                 The distinct sound of a fork clicking a wineglass halted all the conversation along with the orchestra as an elderly man stood from a long table being sheltered by an overhead silk tent.  Joongki’s eyes automatically slid to the elderly man.  The man wore his impish grin as he regarded his guests and raised the wineglass.

 

                 “It's my happy task to welcome you all here today to celebrate the engagement of Sehun and Hyuna. Thank you for coming to share with us this milestone event. It means so much to all of us that you're here at the occasion marking the beginning of a lifelong commitment.”

 

                 “Sehun, as you've grown and matured, you have brought more joy and happiness to our lives than we ever believed possible. Now that you are entering this new phase of life, we wish you the same pleasure that you have given to us, and a lifetime filled with blessings and happiness.”

 

                 “Please raise your glasses and join me in a toast: May God bless and keep you always, May your wishes all come true, May you always do for others, And let others do for you, May you build a ladder to the stars, And climb on every rung, May you stay forever young, and may you give me a grandson immediately.” Applause and guffaws are heard following his speech.  Joongki’s gaze slid to the young couple sitting beside the old man. His jaw clenched as he gazed at the bride to be. 

 

                 The auburn hair contrasted dramatically with her fair skin, peeking underneath her white satin sheath.  Her luminous eyes fringed with dark lashes stared adoringly at her groom, a smile hovering at her lips, while a hand slid to his arm affectionately.  The handsome groom at the other hand stared back at his beautiful fiancée, a smile tugging at his lips. 

 

                 “And may you have another-” the old man’s voice died down as his eyes squinted hard at the silent man dressed casually with dark top and gray chinos, standing underneath the entryway of the labyrinth.  The wineglass on his hand slid unchecked and landed at the table with a thud as he continued staring. Heads turned automatically and their gazes landed on the arresting man leaning against the labyrinth, a mischievous smile tugging at his lips with the obvious commotion that he is making.

 

                 Conversations started to fill the air as the man abandoned his instance from the entrance and walked casually with slow purposeful strides towards them.  His casual attire must have looked out of place with the occasion but the way he carried his attire automatically disregarded that thought.  His dark hair swayed restlessly by the draft and almost covered his eyes.  His gaze pinned the old man beneath heavy lashed dark eyes. A smirk tugging at his lips as he stopped infront of the old man.  The old man’s eyes widened in recognition.  The silence ensued as the two men continued staring at one another.  Sehun finally stood up and broke the silence.  His hand landed on Joongki’s shoulder affectionately.  “How are you Joongki? Glad you could make it,” he said.  Almost reluctantly, Joongki slid his gaze to his brother but his dark eyes lightened and a warm smile on his lips as he mouthed, “Hyung.”

 

                 “Still ugly,” Joongki continued in a mild voice. Sehun laughed, not offended. He was still chuckling when he turned around and touched Hyuna’s hand.  “Meet my beautiful fiancée, Hyuna. Hyuna, this is my younger brother Joongki. Joongki, give us your blessing.”  Joongki turned his gaze at the silent woman and regarded her with raised brows, his eyes inscrutable.  Hyuna squirmed beneath his silent assessment and awkward silence ensued.  Finally, Joongki smiled flippantly and raised his hand for a handshake. 

 

                 “So, you’ll be my sister soon.  Welcome to the family…Hyuna,” he said lightly, his voice tinged with light mockery.  His hand grasped hers and held it firmly, noting her tremors. She immediately withdrew her hand and hastily stood up.   “T-Thank you, J-Joongki,” she said tensely, then regarded her fiancée. “I-I need to go to the p-powder room,” she said.  Sehun frowned and observed her questioningly. “Are you okay, love?” “I-I’m fine,” she said before exiting, leaving behind a baffled Sehun. 

 

                 “I’m sure she’s just tense,” Joongki provided lightly as they watched her exit.  He pocketed his hands on his jeans as he returned his gaze to their father.  His father had finally recovered his shock, his eyes glittered with anger.  “I could see that your fistfight in the states did you some good,” he said nastily. “When will you stop giving disgrace to our family?” he continued as he sat down on the chair.  Joongki smirked.  “Hello to you too father.”

 

                 The old man’s eyes flared dangerously. “I’ve tolerated enough of your insolence but I won’t have this party ruined because of you,” he said in a low voice. Joongki shrugged as he snatched a wineglass being passed by the waiter and automatically sipped the champagne.  He saw a fountain of strawberries on the table infront of him and picking one, he bit it, appreciating the combination of the wine and fruit. He returned his gaze at his father.  “Ruining it, am I?” he said flippantly. “Then, I better leave.”

 

                 He only took his third step when a hand rested on his shoulder firmly.  “You don’t have to go, Joongki,” his brother said.  His eyes almost begging him silently. “I want to celebrate my engagement with the whole family.  I need you here,” he said almost pleadingly.  When Joongki remained passive, Sehun heaved a sigh and released his shoulder. “I know. If it isn’t because of the gossip you’ve made in the states where you brawled in a bar, we wouldn’t have traced you,” Sehun continued.  He placed his hand firmly at Joongki’s back and guided him to a vacant umbrella. Joongki followed reluctantly. 

 

                 They had already sat down when Sehun continued, “I know you felt furious when father ordered his men to get you forcefully from the states.  But he has no other way to have you here. You’ve never made contact with us for the last two years,” he said almost accusingly.  Joongki pointedly looked at their father who is having conversation with some guests but his eyes kept hovering in their direction.

 

                 Joongki shrugged. “I’m not a kid anymore, Hyung. If you would have just asked nicely, I would have come here without force,” he said, as he sipped his champagne.  Sehun heaved a sigh.  “That’s the problem.  You’re not even answering our calls.  And frankly speaking,” Sehun said with a shrug. “I’m glad you made a scene abroad, or we wouldn’t have traced you,” he said with a sad smile. “I couldn’t imagine not seeing you for more years, Joongki,” he said placidly.

 

                 Joongki averted his gaze from his brother and hastily stood up. “Much as I would like to stay hyung, I’m kind of tired from the flight,” he said calmly. Sehun also stood up. “Don’t tell me you’re leaving?” he asked, disbelievingly. Then, Sehun shook his head. “If it is because of father, you should know that if there is one person that wants you to be here most is none other than father, Joongki.  What he told you a while ago is concern speaking.  He is not angry at you.  He is worried about you.  Especially when he found out what happened at the states.  He almost had his heart attack.” 

 

                 Joongki regarded his brother with amused gaze, “If you’re trying to knock at my conscience, it’s not working hyung.  It ceased to exist two years ago,” he said dispassionately. Sehun winced but voiced in earnest, “Your room is available, Joongki. I will just ask-” Joongki interrupted him. “There’s no need, hyung.  I’ve already rented an apartment,” he said.  Sehun stared at him in surprise but Joongki didn’t wait for his response as he proceeded to the labyrinth. 

 

                 Every pair of eyes turned to watch his exit.  Joongki felt his father’s eyes on his retreating back but he remained aloof and entered the labyrinth.  His mind is too preoccupied that he almost didn’t notice the approaching person infront of him. But when he did, he stopped in midstride and stared at the shocked face of Kim Hyuna.

 

                 “Even in shock, you have a shocking beauty,” Joongki said, as his eyes traveled lazily from her auburn hair to her white pumps. Silence ensued as Joongki waited for her to speak but when she didn’t, he continued conversationally, “I can still remember a woman who once told me that she won’t settle herself with someone who is reckless and irresponsible.” His eyes gazed back at her face and regarded her with raised brows.

 

                 “She must be a wise woman,” she said, finally finding her voice. Joongki nodded grimly. “Yes, she is. In fact, this woman had even told the guy that she would prioritize her career first,” he continued, as he silently stalked her.  Hyuna retreated until her back touched the green moss of the labyrinth.  She averted her gaze from his when he was only inches away from hers.  She could practically feel his breath fanning her cheek.

           

                 “Tell me something, Hyuna,” Joongki said, “Prioritizing your career, does it include marrying my brother?” he asked, as he effectively trapped her between the wall and his body, blocking her exit with his hands between her head. Her eyes grew wide and flared heatedly. “How dare you assume that I am marrying Sehun for money!” she hissed.  “If you’re not here to bless me, get out of here!”

 

                 He chuckled as he hovered closer until her back was pressed tightly against the wall.  “I assumed that you’re really marrying my brother with the way you chased me out of my own house,” he said.  “Tell me, Hyuna. Does he even know that you are my ex-girlfriend?” he asked mildly. Hyuna blushed heatedly as she pointedly looked away. 

 

                 “I am taking that as a no,” he continued. “Ofcourse, why would you tell something like that? It would ruin your chance of snaring him for a husband,” he said ruthlessly as he spied the diamond encrusted ring on her finger.  Her hand automatically rose to slap him but the look on his eyes abandoned her plan. But she mouthed angrily, “I don’t know what you’re planning to do with your sudden arrival.  But whatever it is, I won’t let you ruin my engagement. I have already moved on Joongki and you should too.  The past is past,” she said.  He chuckled.

 

                 “Do you really think I came here to destroy your engagement? Now, that I wouldn’t do,” he said.  She looked at him, surprised.  A waiter suddenly arrived and Joongki automatically snatched two glasses from the waiter’s outstretched hand.  When the waiter finally went away, Joongki gave the other glass to the trembling hands of Hyuna.  She gulped the wine gratefully while Joongki raised his glass to her in a mockery of a toss and said, “To your continued success in climbing the social ladder, hyeongsu.” 

 

                 He swallowed the wine in one swallow and had the satisfaction of hearing her gasped in shocked surprise at his speech, almost choking in response.  Without sparing her another glance, he immediately went out of the labyrinth.