rencontre

One Fateful Day

Several weeks had passed, and Hoon had heard nothing from the girl he’d met through a chance encounter at a piano bar. His heart, through the workings of his mind, was now completely set on her. He thought it was a bit ridiculous, but he longed to hear from her again. Why hadn’t she contacted him? Had he done something wrong? Had something happened to her? He supposed he really had no right to demand answers from her. He’d met her twice, neither time for very long, and he had no idea if she felt the same way about him as he felt for her.

Practice was over. He was going to the gym, but as was becoming his routine now while doing normal activities, worry was gnawing away at him. He pulled out his phone, considering sending her a message. Kiseop was with him, driving, and he noticed Hoon’s odd behavior.

“What’s up, Hoonie?” he asked.

Hoon frowned. “There was someone who was supposed to contact me. Well, maybe not ‘supposed’ to, but I thought they would have by now,” Hoon conceded. He’d been, for the time being at least, trying to keep this crush a secret from the members. Until it was more than just some woman he’d met twice and hadn’t heard from, he didn’t want them to know. He didn’t want teased for it, and he wasn’t quite at the point where he was smitten enough with her to deal with their teasing. Sure, he’d told Hoonbi the same night he’d met her. Hoonbi had been there. Hoonbi understood, not only because of that but because his life was also more normal. Hoonbi understood what it was like to meet someone and fall in love at first sight.

“Why don’t you call them?” Kiseop suggested, interrupting his thoughts.

“I don’t want to bother them. Or seem pushy.”

A smile sneaked onto Kiseop’s face. “It’s a girl, isn’t it? Someone you like?”

Hoon was ready to deny it, but it just didn’t feel right to do so. In his heart, he knew he had to admit it. “Yeah,” he admitted. “It’s a girl. I met her a month ago and haven’t heard from her in nearly as long.”

“She probably doesn’t like you back,” Kiseop stated matter-of-factly.

“I don’t think that’s it,” Hoon denied. “She told me she just recently had her engagement called off. But I’m not really sure. She plays piano really well, and I mean, I wanted to listen to her play and she asked me to listen to her once. After that, she stopped talking to me. I didn’t really mind all that much since we were so busy. But now I’m getting worried.”

Kiseop, more than anything, was amused at his good friend’s crisis. “If she just had a break up from a serious relationship like that, she might not be ready to pursue something with someone else. And if you seriously do like her, maybe you should contact her first. Sitting around and waiting isn’t going to get you anywhere. If you don’t take the first step, she might just move on.”

Kiseop was right, he knew. And while they usually goofed off and acted like fools when they were together, he knew Kiseop was pretty wise. “I guess I’ll do that.” With a deep, steadying breath, he picked up his phone and carefully typed out a message, checking his spelling multiple times to make sure everything was right. With nervousness evident from his sweating palms and pounding heart, he sent a message that simply read, “Hope you’re doing okay. I want to listen to your piano again sometime so please let me know when I can come listen.”

The breath he was holding escaped his lips in a sigh of relief after it was sent. The underlying worry still gnawed at him, though. The two arrived at the gym, made their way inside, and began their workout. Hoon periodically checked his phone, hoping for an answer, and being disappointed every time there was none.  The two eventually finished their workout, and Kiseop drove Hoon back to Hoon’s apartment.

“See you tomorrow, Hoonie,” Kiseop said. “And don’t get too stressed out if you don’t get an answer right away.”

Hoon smiled back at him, “I’ll try not too. Don’t mention this to the others, okay? I don’t want teased over this.”

Kiseop nodded his agreement, Hoon got out of the car, and walked inside. Hoonbi wasn’t around, so he went to his room, undressed, and then headed to the bathroom to shower. Clean and changed, he climbed in bed to take a selca to post on Twitter. After posting it, his phone vibrated in his hand. A reply from Serin.

“Sorry, I haven’t said anything recently. I was on a road trip for work. Just got home this evening.” The words made the tension that had been building inside Hoon the last few weeks ease all at once.

“A road trip? Where were you?” he replied. “I hope it went well.”

She answered quickly this time. “I went to New York. Had to meet with a potential business partner. It went well though. Might be going back before long to finalize some things.”

Hoon had been to New York City once with U-KISS, but had been unable to sightsee much. “Did you get to tour any?”

“Oh, not much. I’ve been there a lot. I was excited about getting to see my grandparents.”

This confused Hoon. He asked, “Your grandparents live there?”

“Oh sorry. Yeah. My mom was born in Korea, grew up in the US, and my grandparents live in the States still. She and my dad met while he was in college in the States. They met, got married, and moved back here. We spent most of our school breaks there. I attended school there, as well. Well, university.”

“That’s why your English is so good. Keke,” Hoon answered.

“It came pretty naturally. My mom and dad both thought knowing English was important. So we would do this thing were we’d only be allowed to speak in English on the weekends.”

“That’s unique.”

“It was helpful. And since Mom was fluent, she helped us get pronunciation right from a young age. My brothers and I all grew up bilingual. I can get so Konglish sometimes.”

Hoon laughed at the text. He then replied, “Kevin and Eli, and occasionally Jaeseop, say stuff that is really Konglish. It’s really funny.”

“Don’t make fun of our plight! Hehehe!”

“Ha okay! I won’t.”

“Good.”

That felt like the end of the conversation. It was past his normal bedtime. He wasn’t sure where Hoonbi was, but his older brother did sometimes stay out drinking. He lowered himself onto his bed, resting his head on his pillow. Picking up his phone, he proceeded to type out another message to Serin. “I hope to see you again soon. I’ll be headed to Japan before too long for promotions. So hopefully I can see you before then.”

“I’ll be free the next few days. I have to go to a meeting tomorrow morning though.”

His heart beat rapidly in his chest as he sent a message reading, “Will you come hang out with me if I get done early?”

She was still answering quickly. Probably because she was also in bed, not doing anything else. “Sure! What were you thinking of doing?”

“I wanted to play piano with you again. If that’s alright…”

“Oh! That’s fine. I had a good time last time. Let me know where. I’m sure I have more free time than you, so I’ll just go wherever you tell me.”

Hoon became aware of the grin plastered on his face. “I’ll let you know then,” he answered. “I’m going to bed. Have to get up for practice in the morning, so I’ll talk to you later.”

“Alright. Goodnight!”

“Goodnight to you, as well,” he typed out. He was absolutely giddy and not entirely sure how he was going to sleep at this point. He fought down his feelings of excitement, willing himself to relax, and was just about settled in and asleep when he heard Hoonbi walk in the apartment. All thoughts of his usually sleeping pattern flew out the window, as he got out of bed to go talk to his brother.

“Ah hyung!” he said as he walked toward the kitchen.

Hoonbi was very clearly drunk, barely managing to stay upright. “Yo Hoonminnie!”

Hoon frowned at him. Hoonbi was far too drunk to actually talk to. “I talked to the girl from the piano bar again,” he told his older brother. “She wants to hang out again since she’s now back in the country.” Hoonbi nodded, clearly not actually having understood anything Hoon had told him. “Come on, hyung. Let’s get you in bed.” He grabbed him by the wrist and dragged him to his room. Hoonbi protested, but as soon as he was on his bed, he curled up and fell asleep. Hoon chuckled at him, before heading back to his own room. There would be plenty of time later to tell Hoonbi about his text conversation.

~~~

Hoon spent the next day at practice in a lighter mood than he had been the last week. Knowing that Serin was at least interested in hanging out with him gave him hope. Kiseop picked up on his mood and shot him a look. Hoon returned the look with a smile and a V-sign. Kiseop shook his head. It was pretty obvious that he’d heard back from the girl. Whoever she was.

They made it through practice, finishing at about the usual time, and Kiseop suggested that they go to the gym again tonight. Hoon sort of pouted, but agreed. “Let’s drive separately today. I’m going someplace afterwards.”

They stood in the parking lot, conversing. “Going someplace?”

“Ah well… if Serin wants to meet up with me, I’m going to go hang out with her.”

“Take me,” Kiseop suggested. “I’d like to meet her. Plus if you’re seen or something, it’ll seem less like a date with me there.”

“Want to do that instead of the gym?”

“No, let’s go to the gym. Being interested in a girl isn’t reason enough for us to give up working out. In fact, it’s probably reason to work out more.”

“Fair enough. I’ll drive tonight then.”

“You’ll come get me in the morning?”

“Of course.”

Hoon took a deep breath and called Serin. He hadn’t called her before, and it was a little nerve-wracking. She answered the phone quickly. “Hello?”

“Hi, it’s Hoonmin.”

“I know. What’s up?”

“Oh… forgot that you had my number saved. Heh. I’m going to the gym right now. If you’re okay with coming out late, do you want to meet me at the same piano bar as before? Kiseop wants to come with me tonight, though.”

“Oh, yeah. That’s fine. We can go into one of the back rooms. It’ll be more private back there. I’ll just bring my guitar. Or do you want me to bring the violin?”

He laughed. “Let me ask.” He turned to Kiseop, and asked him if he preferred listening to the guitar or violin.

“Um… both?” he said, unsure.

Hoon returned to the phone call. “Kiseop says both.”

“Sounds good. What time do you think you’ll be around?”

“Probably like 11:30. That should give us enough time to do our full work out, get cleaned up and get over there.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll head on over then and make sure we can get one of the small back rooms. You’ll love the acoustics in them.”

“I didn’t know they had back rooms,” Hoon said. “I haven’t been there very much.”

“Oh, I’m there all the time. It’s really close to my house. The owner’s daughter is a good friend of mine, so he’s happy to have me come in and play. If we’re lucky, we’ll get the back room with the keyboard. He pretty much reserves them for regular customers, but sometimes you can’t get them. Especially on a busy night like tonight will be.”

“Ah, okay. Well, we’ll be over then. See you soon.”

“Yep,” she said, a smile evident in her voice. “Bye!”

Hoon hung up the phone smiling. “She’s much brighter than before,” he mused.

Kiseop wasn’t really sure, having no perspective on the matter. “You did say that the last time you saw her she had just been broken up with. So maybe she’s feeling better now.”

“Oh, I’m sure that’s very possible. She seemed friendly and kind before, just very upset. I don’t know what it is that’s drawing me to her. I feel… connected. Like it’s inevitable.”

“You’ve met her twice, Hoon,” Kiseop say, trying to temper his enthusiasm. “Get to know her a little better before you start getting ridiculous about like red string of fate type of stuff.”

Hoon nodded as he drove. “I know. It’s way too early to get my hopes up, but you just don’t understand. If I don’t have anything more pressing to occupy my brain, she’s there. I’ve dreamed about her, Kiseop. A lot.”

“Oh, I do understand that.”

“No. Not like this. This is like… it feels like I’ve met my soul mate.”

“But Hoon, you barely know her.”

Hoon sighed, not willing to fight over this. “Okay fine. I do barely know her, which is why I am trying to get to know her better.”

“Just promise me one thing,” Kiseop said. “Do keep me in the loop. I won’t tell the other members about her until you tell me it’s okay. But I want to know what’s going on. Don’t be afraid to tell me this stuff. Even if I might disagree with you on things, I do care about you. We all care about you.”

“Thanks Kiseop. It means a lot. If tonight goes well, I’ll probably tell Soohyun. I can’t… keep secrets from him. We’re too connected. He can read me too well.”

The two made it to the gym and went through their usual routine. Afterward, unlike their usual routine, they climbed into the shower and rinsed off their sweat. They changed and walked out, headed back over to the piano bar and making their way in. They wore masks and hats in, trying to conceal their identities. Fortunately, the patrons tonight all seemed like middle-aged men, individuals that were less likely to know who they were. Hoon walked up to the counter and said, “We’re supposed to meet Serin in a back room.”

The bartender looked at them. “Ah, you’re the two she was waiting for! Just go back that hallway,” he said pointing to the other end of the bar. “It’ll be the second door to the left. Want me to bring you anything to drink?”

“Soju, any brand,” Hoon answered. He thanked the man and followed the directions he’d been given, with Kiseop following along behind him. He knocked on the door before opening it.

“Ah, Hoon-ssi!” she said when he walked in. “Hello.” She stood up and bowed in greeting as Kiseop walked in behind. “Hi Kiseop-ssi,” she said. “It’s very nice to meet you. I’m Lee Serin.”

“I’m a Lee, too,” he noted.

She smiled kindly at him. “We’re related way back somehow, then. From the Lee clan.”

“Something like that,” he said.

“I managed to get us the room with the keyboard. So now I’ve got my guitar and violin. One of you can play the keyboard.”

“I just want to sit and relax for a bit,” Kiseop said.

“Oh,” she said. “Then make yourself comfortable. Our drinks should be coming soon.”

Kiseop looked over at Hoon and almost burst out laughing. His ears were red. He was standing still, frozen to the spot. Kiseop could almost hear his heart pounding in his chest. He really was taken with this girl. While Kiseop did think she was pretty and so far she seemed very kind, whatever Hoon was feeling definitely wasn’t something he felt. “Come sit down, Hoonie,” he said, trying to get Hoon out of his trance. He snapped out of it, and went to sit beside Kiseop. “Hoon tells me you’re really good at the piano.”

“Oh. Well, I try my best.”

“Play something,” Hoon suggested, finally aware of his situation enough to say something.

“Any requests?” she asked.

“Do you know any U-KISS songs?” Kiseop asked.

“She played Believe with me last time,” Hoon said.

“I did. Do you… want to do it again?” she asked, looking a little shy.

Hoon gulped. “Sure. Let’s do it again.”

The two stood up, side by side in front of the keyboard. Hoon started playing the song sweating and looking awkward, while Serin started playing a descant for him. Kiseop watched. As they played together through the song, they both relaxed, looking more comfortable in each other’s presence. Kiseop did admit that she was talented, and he could see how her musical style would have caught Hoon’s attention in the first place. When they finished, he clapped.

“That was very good.”

“Thank you,” Serin said, glancing over at Hoon and meeting his eyes. She looked away quickly. Kiseop could see what was happening. These were two people who liked each other, trying to figure out where the other stood. The awkward pre-dating phase. He didn’t think too much on it, as the door opened and their drinks arrived. Hoon and Serin sat back down, and they let Hoon pour for them. After several shots, the three were very relaxed with each other.

“Let’s play something else,” Serin suggested. She grabbed her guitar and held it out. Hoon took it from her, and situated it on his lap, giving it a few experimental strums.

“You’re right. The acoustics in here are amazing. Reminds me of the practice room my dad built for me.”

She picked up her violin and bow. “It’s a musician’s paradise in here. I love it.”

“Want me on the keyboard?” Kiseop asked.

“Sure,” Serin said. “What can we all play? Just do something you guys know. I’ll improvise.”

Hoon and Kiseop remembered a song that they’d learned a while ago. Hoon didn’t know all of the chords, but he remembered enough to play it. Serin listened to the song they played, before joining in with the violin, fingers dancing over the neck as she played long slow notes to harmonize with their song. “This is a nice song,” she commented.

Hoon stopped playing for a bit. “How did you get so good at all these instruments?”

“I went to a music high school. I originally wanted to compose. Like movie soundtracks and stuff. I gave that dream up though.”

“Why?” Kiseop asked, now fully aware that she was a strong musician, proficient at two very classical instruments.

“I don’t really want to talk about it right now, but my mom, Eunhye, died before I began my last year of high school. I don't really want to go into it because I don’t want to cry in front you this time, Hoon-ssi.”

He nodded his understanding, though he was obviously sombered by this revelation. However, if talking about it was going to make her cry, he didn’t need to know the details. “Just tell us later, okay?” he said.

“I promise I will.”

“Why don’t you write us a song some time?” Kiseop suggested. “I’d love to sing one of your songs.”

“I would be greatly honored to write a song for U-KISS.”

Hoon told her, “We’ll wait for the best song you can give us. I would be so honored to have you write us a song.”

She smiled at them, glad for the complimenting words. Hoon’s phone vibrated. “Oh, a text from my brother.” He read it quickly, before telling them, “It’s kind of funny really. He goes out drinking, and I don’t bother him. When I do it, he gets all worried about me.”

Serin laughed. “You have to love brothers though. You get in fights with them, but they’re always there for you.”

“You have brothers?’ Hoon asked.

“Three of them,” she said, making a face. “I used to beat up my little brother all the time. I couldn’t get the older two, so I took it out on the poor maknae.”

“Having a blood brother sounds like it’d be a lot of fun. I have an older sister. Now I’m stuck with Hoon and bunch of other idiots that act as stand in brothers.”

“I’m not an idiot. Besides, you show up on camera as the biggest idiot of us all,” Hoon said sharply.

“You are all so endearing on camera,” Serin said. “I’ve seen fans call you precious idiots. I think that’s valid.”

Kiseop didn’t realize until she’d brought up their fans that one of the striking differences between her and many women her age he’d met was that, though she knew who they all were, she wasn’t star struck. She was treating them just as though they were normal human beings, and he appreciated that. Which made him think that she really did like Hoon. Not because he was a celebrity, but because she was legitimately attracted to him.

“We should probably head home, Hoon,” Kiseop said eventually. “We have practice again tomorrow. And it’s going to if we stay out too much longer or drink too much more.”

“You’re right,” Hoon said with a sigh. “Tonight was fun, Serin.”

“Yes,” she agreed. “It was very nice meeting you, Kiseop. I’d love to meet the rest of the group sometime, but it’s not big deal if they’re busy. I know you guys are always going places and promoting.”

“I definitely had fun,” Kiseop said. “We’ll have to do this again sometime. It was a pleasure meeting you, Serin.”

Kiseop turned to walk out the door, thinking that Hoon was following him. He wasn’t. He turned back to hear Hoon ask, “Do you want to come here again tomorrow night? I’ll bring us something to eat.”

“Are you asking me out on a date, Hoon-ssi?” she asked, looking shy and adorably cute.

“If that’s what you want it to be.”

“I would be more than happy to go on a date with you,” she said, skin flushing.

“I’ll let you know when we’re done. See you tomorrow!” Hoon said excitedly. He his heel and just about skipped out of the bar with Kiseop following him at a more normal pace. Kiseop had seen it for himself, and he found it hard to deny that the two had some unexplainable connection. The way they looked at each other, even though they had only met a few times, was deep, piercing. Like they had found in each other the person they were meant to be with. Kiseop understood better now. He had only met her this one time, but he innately felt that she was going to be a part of Hoon’s life forever. The connection between the two had been too strong, too undeniable.

“I think you’re right Hoon,” he whispered as he sat down in the car. “I think she might be your soul mate.”