Chapter 5

I Wish He Loved Me -contest entry

 

From: Him

Hi

Grandma-monthly-visit.

Wanna go together?

 

To: Him

You? Where?

 

From: Him

Me. In front of your house.

 

Taemin ran out and found a black car parked on his front yard.

“Hi,” Minho greeted from inside the car. He smiled brightly, making Taemin realise how gorgeous he was when he smiled.

“Hi. How are you here?”Taemin asked, still surprised at his sudden coming.

“I have some business to do here and I remember that today is Grandma-monthly-visit day, so I decided to visit her but I don’t want to come alone. Would you mind going with me?”

Without any word, Taemin got into the car and they rushed to Grandma’s house. They weren’t talking too much, but it didn’t mean they weren’t happy to meet each other. They were too happy to talk to each other; nothing can describe how happy they were, but unfortunately, neither of them wanted to show it.

“Don’t forget to-“

“-stop at the florist,” they said in unison, and then laughed hard when they found they still remembered it.

“I thought you’d forgotten it,” Taemin commented.

“White rose and Samgyetang, I still remember about it.”

“Well, it’s unexpected.”

They stopped at the florist. Minho got out to get a bucket of white roses before he went back to the car and headed to the restaurant.

“One Samgyetang, please.” Taemin smiled to the waiter, turning to see Minho only to receive a knowing glance from the latter.

“I paid for the flowers, now you pay for the food,” they said in unison again.

“Today must be my day,” Taemin said as soon as they finished giggling at their memorable words.

“Because you’ve finally met me?” Minho teased.

“No, Mr. Over-Confidence. I’m lucky I haven’t had to pay for both the flowers and food.”

 

The whole visit thing was going well. They laughed, talked, and joked around; even Taemin’s grandma seemed to enjoy it so much. But they had to go back earlier because Taemin had something to do. At first, he let Minho stay longer with his grandma and decided to get a taxi on his own, but Minho insisted to drive him back.

“Where are you going?”

“Do you know a kindergarten a few blocks from your old apartment?”

“The one near the coffee shop?”

“Yes, that one.”

“How much time do you have?”

“About two hours.”

“I think we have enough time to have a coffee before you go.”

 

They stopped at the coffee shop near the kindergarten. It was just fifty minutes left before Taemin had to be working.

“What has happened so far?” Minho got to the point.

“Tell me yours, and then I’ll tell mine,” Taemin replied, gaining a small laughter from Minho.

“You’re still so demanding. Okay. Hmm, where should I start it? I left Korea and started a new life in London. Dad was very mad at me but who cared? I started as a staff member for a local magazine and eight years was enough to get a position as the editor of Vogue. Then, I met a girl, a Korean girl. She is a kind and pretty girl. We started dating and married two years later. I was very grateful because my parents came on my wedding day. Well, I didn’t think they would come, but they did. Since that day, our relationship has been getting beter. I thanked God for it. Oh, we have two cute sons. Take a look at them.” Minho took out his cell phone and showed him his son’s picture.

“Aigoo, they’re so cute hyung. I like this one, what’s his name?” Taemin raised his face to meet Minho’s surprised look. “Is there something wrong?” Taemin asked.

“What did you just call me?”

“Eh? What? Hyung?”

“Yes,” Minho replied fast.

“Oh, that is what I’m supposed to call you, isn’t it? I didn’t call you the way I should have in the past time, so I just want to do it while you’re with me. It’s a rare chance, isn’t it?” Taemin smiled warmly. He was glad he could call him that way. These years without Minho had already been enough for Taemin to realise what things he actually should do to Minho that he didn’t do properly, like calling him hyung. “So, what’s his name hyung? I like him so much even if I haven’t met him yet.” Taemin pointed at the cute boy at the right side.

“You picked the right one, Taemin-ah. He’s Taemin.”

“Oh?” Taemin was stunned by his answer.

“I named him Taemin because he’s like you. He is very demanding just like you.” Minho took his cell phone from Taemin. “I’ve told you mine. Tell me yours. You better hurry, not much time left.”

“Ah, yes.” Taemin forced a smile but deep inside he was curious why Minho named his son with the same name as him. “I quit my job as a model. It wasn’t because of our accident, it was my own will. I didn’t know what I really wanted to do at that time until I met a kid on my way home one day. She was lost so I calmed her and helped her to find her house. I didn’t know how but I suddenly fell in love with children and decided to be a kindergarten teacher. I have been being a kindergarten teacher for eight years now,” Taemin finished. He was half wanting Minho to give him one or two words as a comment but he said nothing.

“It’s not an interesting story, is it?” Taemin teased. “You even have nothing to say about it.”

“Wait, have you finished?” Minho was startled.

“Y-yes.” And he made Taemin confused too.

“It’s all? Nothing more? I mean you just told me about your career life, you haven’t told me about...your private life yet.” That was it. Minho was curious about Taemin’s private life. With whom he married? How many kids had he had? Was he happy?

“That’s all hyung. Nothing more. I’m not married if it was what you wanted to know.”

It took awhile for Minho to get through it. Taemin was still single.

“Why?” he finally asked. “Why don’t you get married?”

“Why do you care about it?” Taemin stuck his tongue out and smiled childishly.

“Taemin, I’m serious now. Why don’t you get married?” Minho’s face turned serious.

“I don’t have someone to marry with,” he replied simply.

“Taemin-ah, I’ve worked with you; I know how many girls and boys flirt with you all the time. No way have you had no one to marry with.”

“I told you the truth, hyung. You’re right, I have lots of girls and boys who flirt with me out there but I don’t love them. Maybe I just have to wait till there is someone who’s able to steal my heart.” Taemin grinned a little before he finally stood up and prepared to leave.

“Time passed so fast, I have to go hyung. It’s nice to meet you-“

“Wait.” Minho held his wrist, preventing him to go. “The bracelet I gave you, where is it?”

“I keep it at home, hyung. I’m very careless so I just keep it at home. Nice to meet you, hyung. Bye.” Taemin smiled for the last time and left.


“No words can describe how broken I was at that time. It was hard to even make a straight face, but I had to smile in front of him, because I couldn’t tell him that I love him, not after knowing that he has married. That was the last time I met him. We haven’t met again till now. I didn’t even ask him about our break up thing when I met him. I doubt I could ask him about it in the future. I’m so stupid, aren’t I?” I couldn’t help but smile a sad smile. “So, that’s the story of me. Are you satisfied?”

“Do you regret it?”

“Eh?”

“The fake relationship and what you did to him during that time, do you regret it?”

“At first I regretted it so much. I wish I was aware enough about his feelings towards me. I even don’t know if it was a love or not because he never told me that he loved me, but I wish he loved me.” I paused at that word. It was very stupid to know how much I really wished that he loved me.

“As time passed by,” I continued, ”I don’t regret it anymore. At least I had him for a month.” I smiled to him.

“Appa, you’re cool, you know.”

“Yaah! This kid, don’t call me appa.” I pretended to scold him. “And you’re very mature for your age,” I added.

“I’m serious about-“ The sound of a car interrupted our conversation. We turned to see who was coming.

“Ugh, that’s my uncle.” He groaned.

“Come on, you have to go.” I helped him with his bag and walked to the yard.

“Promise me you’ll call me and text me.”

“I promise.”

“I’ll miss you.”

“You talked too much.”

“Yoogeun-ah, how-“

I stopped.

No, it couldn’t be real.

No, please no.

“Taemin-ah,” he finally said.

“Oh, hi hyung. So, you’re Yoogeun’s uncle?”