Chapter 3

I Wish He Loved Me -contest entry

 

“Your Grandma, is she like that?” Minho asked when they were on their way back from her house.

“What do you mean?”

“She knew it, our fake relationship.”

“Ugh, I’ve guessed it. She has a way to know everything, that’s why I’m not very comfortable when I’m with her. It’s like she can read all of me but she never tells me any of it.”

“She shocked me when she told me about it. She’s a kind woman, though.”

“Yes, she’s a kind woman. But, can you still feel comfortable when you know someone is reading everything about you, but you don’t have any idea how much she has read from you? What did she tell you?”

“She told me that she would keep our secret.”

“Good.”

“She told me that she liked me too.”

“Ugh.”

“I’m unbearable.”

“You make me want to vomit.”

“Admit it.”

“Five more days.”

“What?”

“Five more days until breaking up. Have you found an excuse to be told to our parents?”

“Ugh, let’s tell them we had a very bad fight and we think it doesn’t work anymore, we don’t love each other anymore, and we decided to end this.”

“Do it. You should be the one who says that.”

“Why are you so demanding?”

***

From: Him

What time should I

Pick you up?

 

To: Him

NOW!

 

“You really know how to piss me off!” Taemin complained after waiting for an hour to be picked up by Minho.

“I was working. Can you just, ugh, act nice on our last day as a couple?!”

“No.”

“As I’ve expected.”

 

They got in as soon as they reached the restaurant. Their parents had been waiting for them. They purposely didn’t intertwine their hands like usual to make it obvious that there was something wrong between them.

“So, how’s your day Taemin-ah?” Minho’s dad asked him affectionately.

“I’ve a quite busy day today. My schedule is getting crazy lately.”

“You must be very tired lately. Let’s take a short vacation,” Minho’s mom added.

“No, thanks a lot. It’s my job. I’m having fun, though.”

“But we already planned a family vacation on Jeju for two weeks. We’re going to having fun together. Do you like it?”

Both Taemin and Minho were shocked to hear that plan.

“Who are the ‘we’ you’re talking about?” Minho asked.

“We mean us. Me, your dad, Taemin’s parents, Taemin, and you.”

“But Mom, I have job and-“

“Don’t worry; I’ll take care of it. I’ll ask someone else to cover for you.”



 

“We failed to tell them about the breakup thing. We were too shocked to say anything. We stayed quiet till dinner was over and headed back. I asked him to drive me to my usual bar. I just couldn’t believe it, the fact that I had to do it for two weeks more. But Minho seemed to not care about it.”

“Does it mean he liked it?”

“I don’t think he liked it. At least, not yet.”

“Not yet?”

“He was starting to pay attention to me during that vacation. It was our parents who set us to share a room. At first, we argued about how we didn’t like this idea but we gave up at the end because we knew we had nothing to do. So, we shared a room for two weeks. During the vacation, we did a lot of exciting things. We surfed, dived, swam, played volley beach, and had breakfast, lunch, and dinner together. I didn’t know what was getting into me but I was like a bastard at that time. I made it harder for him. In front of our parents, we were holding hands and hugging, but when we reached our room, I would start to grumble to him and forced him to tell them about our fake relationship soon. One thing I couldn’t understand is why I acted like that to him. Honestly, I was getting used to acting like a couple. When I did it in front of our parents, I was no longer feeling weird. I thought it was just because we had done it for weeks. That’s why I didn’t feel awkward anymore. If I remember about that time now, I think that I was just making excuses for denying the fact that I started to enjoy it.”

“What about him?”

“What do you mean by what about him?” I asked back.

“You told me he didn’t want it either, your relationship. It means he didn’t enjoy the vacation either, right? If I were him, I would kick you out of our room. You were complaining so much. I can’t believe a person like you can be that annoying. You’re so caring to us.”

I smiled at him.

“I was very annoying, Yoogeun-ah, very annoying till I regretted it. He didn’t like it at first, but I think he began to pay attention on me. It was on the seventh day of our vacation. I still remember it clearly. ”


 

“I use the shower first,” Taemin said when they walked back to their shared room.

“You get it.”

Minho was always like that. He let Taemin get whatever he wanted. He thought he had caused enough trouble for Taemin so at least he didn’t want the model getting more disturbed. He didn’t mean to pay attention to him, he just acted like gentleman.

Taemin got the shower first and then Minho after him. Taemin was lying on the bed when Minho came out from the bathroom and joined Taemin on the bed. Minho was about to set his foot in dreamland when Taemin shifted, making him open his eyes. Minho didn’t complain at all; he continued closing his eyes and tried to sleep, but Taemin kept making disturbing movements which prevented his sleep.

“What’s wrong? I can’t sleep if you keep moving.”

“Sorry, my back is sore. It doesn’t allow me to stay still. This must be because I swam too much.”

Taemin looked very uncomfortable. Minho sighed at the sight.

“Taemin, he likes ice cream so much. He likes getting back massages. He likes attention. He won’t go home when he has a serious problem. He hates Grandma-Monthly-Visit.” She giggled a little when she mentioned that.

“Lie on your stomach,” Minho commanded.

“What?”

“I’ll give you a little back massage. You like it, don’t you?” Minho flipped him impatiently and started massaging his back.

“Uh, it feels so good. You have blessed hands,” Taemin praised. “How do you know about it?”

“About what?”

“I like getting back massages.”

“Your grandma told me that.”

“You asked her about me?” He tilted his head so he could see Minho’s face and gave him a questioning look.

“No. Why should I ask her about you? She just told me.”

“What else did she tell you about me?”

“She said you like ice cream so much. You won’t go home when you have a serious problem. Is it right?”

“Aish, she talked too much.”

“Don’t be like that. She loves you.”

“Yeah, yes, she loves me. Then, what else did she tell you?”

“She knows you hate visiting her.”

“Oh, nice to know that she realised it.” Minho pushed his palm hard on Taemin’s back when he heard it. “Ouch, it ing hurts.”

“You deserve it.” Minho continued massaging his back. “Stop asking me questions and sleep so I can sleep too. I’m very sleepy now.”

“You’re so mean.”

“When it comes to you, yes!”



 

“I missed that moment very much.”

“He is a nice person.”

“Yes, he is. He is the best man I’ve ever known.”

“Did you have other nice memories with him?”

“Yes, but not many. We had more fights than good memories. I can still remember every word I said to him during that vacation. ‘Can you tell them now? I hate this. I hate you. You’re annoying. Let’s end this now. It makes me sick.’ I bet I wouldn’t be that strong if I were him. He didn’t even yell back at me during the vacation.”

“Why?”

I was stunned at his question. He was right. Why? Why didn’t he yell back during that time? Taemin, you’re totally a fool.

“I-I don’t know. I don’t know why he didn’t strike back like he usually did.”

“Aish, you really know little about him. Then what happened next? I’m getting impatient with your story.”

“There are lots of good things that happened after that moment. I could feel his attention towards me. Even though I tried hard to deny it, I still could feel it. I could feel his warm greeting every morning when I opened my eyes. I could sense his sincerity when he let me use the shower first, when he asked me whether I was already hungry or not, when he protect me from the sun, when he brought my shopping bag, when he bought me ice cream, when he took care of me when I was tired, and so many little things he did for me. I knew it was not just an act; he really meant it. I’ll tell you another best memory during that vacation. Well, actually our good memories were just when he was back massaging me and this one.”