Chapter 4

I Wish He Loved Me -contest entry

 

“Mom, I can’t hold this anymore. I’m starving; I’ll go back and get some foods.” Taemin left the moms and Minho. They were in the middle of taking a walk to enjoy the scenery, far from any restaurant or food stall. Minho glanced at the younger boy and found him so pale. He sighed.

“Come on.” Taemin was surprised because Minho suddenly kneeled in front of him, offering Taemin his back.

“What are you doing?”

“You look so pale. I’m not sure you’ll be able to reach the nearest restaurant without fainting.”

“Thanks,” Taemin mumbled in Minho’s ear when Minho carried him on his back.

“Never mind.”

It was a long walk before they reached the nearest restaurant and had supper together, just two of them for the very first time during the vacation.

“So, how will we explain our breakup thing to them?”

“Like what I always said. We fight and end.”

“When will we do it?”

“I’m still thinking about it. Tomorrow we’re going back to Seoul and I don’t think they will hold a family dinner soon. It seems like we should make a family dinner on our own and invite them.”

“Can we do it the day after tomorrow?” Taemin asked but Minho didn’t reply to it directly. He just stared at his food with a sad face.

“Minho?” Taemin asked once again when he didn’t get an answer.

“Oh, yes, we can,” he replied unwillingly.

They walked back to their hotel after they finished their lunch. Their parents purposely gave them one night free from family stuff so they could have private time on the last night of the vacation. Taemin felt glad to know that he wouldn’t have to do something with them tonight and amused at how their parents thought they would have a private time tonight.

But for Minho, tonight was the most unwanted night during that vacation. Because after tonight, he would lose Taemin. Because after tonight, it would end. No matter how much he wanted to deny it, he knew that he had already fallen for him. He had already known it since the middle of the vacation. He had shown it clearly enough but Taemin didn’t seem to notice it. Taemin had no idea how painful it was for Minho to hear him complaining about his hatred of this fake relationship every night. Still, he tried even though it just hurt him more.

Since Minho wasn’t in a good mood that night, he was just standing on the balcony, staring at the beautiful moon in the sky, forgetting that Taemin was still in the room, making the little boy feel a little bit upset for being ignored. Then, the younger decided to join him on the balcony.

“What are you doing here?”

“Nothing.”

Silence enveloped them. But this time, it was an awkward silence, not a comforting one, making Taemin start a new conversation to let go of this uneasiness.

“We will really do it the day after tomorrow, won’t we?” Taemin reassured, but this time he just picked a wrong start.

Do you really hate this that much, Taemin-ah? Minho whispered inwardly.

“Can we not talk about it now?”

“Why can we not? We do it every day.”

“Because we do it every day so I don’t want to do it tonight.”

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing.”

“It’s not an answer.”

“It was my answer.”

“Why? Why do you suddenly act like this? Do you not want to end this? Have you already fallen for me?”

Minho didn’t answer him instead he back hugged Taemin and locked him between his arms.

“Yaaah! What are you doing?”

“You asked me why I act like this and I think I don’t get it. I don’t get what do you mean by acting like this. So, tell me how I normally act.”

“Let go of me.”

“I won’t, before you answer me.”

“You just look different. See, I’ve told you. Now let go of me.”

“Where’s the difference, Taemin-ah? I don’t feel different today. Tell me more specifically so I can answer your question,” Minho whispered.

Taemin stayed quiet for awhile, deciding whether to tell him or not.

“No, not today, but tonight,” he finally said. “You look...sad.”

“I just lost my passion. I want to end this. I never said I fell for you. Look, I’ve answered you.”

“Why did you lose your passion?”

“Why do you even care?”

Taemin jolted at Minho’s last question.

Why do I even care? Am I starting to care about him? No, I’m not.

“Are you shocked because you’re getting caught for paying attention to me?” Minho teased.

“Let go of me.”

“What if I don’t want to?” Minho rested his head on Taemin’s neck and inhaled Taemin’s scent on the crook of his neck.

“Minho, let me go!” Taemin screamed.

Minho chuckled at his action and let go of him.

“You’re so cute Taemin-ah.”

 

As the day changed, they headed back to Seoul. No one bothered to do anything once they reached Seoul since they were tired, and they chose to sleep right after they reached their home.

The next day, they met each other in the afternoon at Minho’s apartment. They still had a day off until tomorrow so they used this chance to arrange a family dinner that night.

“Oh, take this.” Minho threw a small box. Taemin raised his brows when he caught it.

“What’s this?”

“Why don’t you check it by yourself?”

“Nice bracelet. Thanks.” Taemin put the brown bracelet back into the box and kept it in his bag.

“May I ask you something?”

“What?”

“How’s your feeling today?”

“I feel great, because today we’re going to end this. I’ve never been so happy before. I’ve been waiting for this day like crazy. Come on, let’s go to the restaurant. I’m getting impatient.” Taemin grabbed Minho and walked to the door.

One word for Minho, hurt.

 

“Taemin, wait.” Minho held his wrist when he was about to get out.

“Do you...do you hate this that much?” Minho’s voice was very weak; it was like a whisper to Taemin.

“Come on, we’re going to end this, aren’t we? You’ve promised me to end this. I don’t care what you feel, I want it to end today!” Taemin yanked his hand and walked into the restaurant.

They waited for their parents in silence; luckily they hadn’t had to wait too long before their parents came and joined them.

The atmosphere was very awkward between Taemin and Minho, but was very okay between their parents as they kept talking about this and that, till they had finished with their food and Minho decided to announce their breakup.

“Excuse me, but, we have something to say,” Minho interrupted. Once he knew he had all of their attention, he continued to speak. “We’re breaking up.”

Silence.

1, 2, -

“What is it?” Taemin’s mom finally spoke up, breaking the silence that surrounded them. “Is there any explanation for this?”

“We had fight and decided to end this. Sorry, but we’re really ended,” Minho replied weakly and Taemin kept quiet beside him, bending his head so he wouldn’t have to look at their parents.

“It’s not that we want to interfere, but we can’t accept it just like that. Not when we’ve already planned an engagement,” Minho’s dad interrupted, making both Minho and Taemin stunned.

“But, we-“ Taemin finally spoke up but was cut off by Minho’s dad.

“Come on, it’s common for a couple to get into a fight but you’ll forget it soon. Don’t take it personally, son.”

Minho could sense Taemin was panicking beside him. He kept silent while Taemin and their parents argued about their upcoming engagement. Minho knew he should do something to convince their parents about their break up. But what crossed his mind wasn’t good for him. He knew what it would be but he didn’t want Taemin suffering because of this anymore.

“I’m cheating on him,” Minho declared loudly, loud enough to muffle the others’ voices. “Taemin found me sleeping with a girl I love when he came to my apartment this afternoon. I’m sorry to say this but I love her. Let’s just end this.”

The next thing they knew, a hand slapped Minho’s face hard. It was his dad, Minho’s dad. He said nothing but left them, followed by his wife.

“Taemin, let’s go.” Taemin was still shocked about what was happening; he remained silent till his mom asked him to go home and they left. They left just like that, leaving Minho alone; even Taemin didn’t bother to say good bye to him.

One word for Minho, die.



 

“It was cruel,” Yoogeun said.

“Yes, it was very cruel, heartless, and inhuman. I think what I’ve done was worse than those words.” I felt my eyes getting hot but I tried hard not to cry, not in front of Yoogeun. “I’m not that nice, am I?”

He didn’t answer me.

“Then, what happened next?” he asked lowly, almost whispering.

“I didn’t know what I felt that night. I felt empty, or I couldn’t feel anything to be exact. I was supposed to be happy because it finally ended, but I didn’t feel any joy at all. I decided to meet him the next morning, just to see him packing his stuff and leaving.”



 

Taemin knocked at the door, too softly to be heard. No wonder the door was still closed. He was about to knock once again before it suddenly opened, revealing the almost empty room inside the apartment. He was surprised at the sight; the furniture was covered by white sheets and the stuff was gone. Then he turned to see Minho only to meet a more pathetic sight, Minho and his suitcase in his hand.

“Taemin, what are you doing here? How long have you been standing here?”

“W-what is it? Why is your room like that? Why are you bringing a suitcase?” He asked, and even the most stupid person in this world could sense fear in his voice.

“I’m leaving Korea.” Taemin didn’t know why he felt like that, but he couldn’t deny that his heart skipped a beat when he heard it. He felt fright, sadness, and hurt.

“Oh,” he replied weakly.

“You still haven’t answered me.”

“I-I just...I want...” There were lots of words he wanted to say but he just couldn’t speak them. They were trapped in his throat and didn’t come out no matter how hard he tried.

But suddenly he felt a hand touch his head, a large, warm hand tapping gently on his head, sending a calming effect down to his nerves.

“Are you going to say that you’re relieved because this has ended?”

“Yes,” he answered feebly.

“Glad to know you’re no longer upset. Sorry, but I don’t have much time Taemin-ah. I have to go. Bye.”

It was really the end, wasn’t it?



 

“I hadn’t asked where he was going yet. I hadn’t asked him why he told a lie yet. I hadn’t asked him about his feelings about it yet. I even hadn’t thanked him yet. I didn’t give him anything but hurt.”

I felt a hand sneak onto my arm and it soothingly. I turned to him and smiled a fragile smile.

“Did you love him?” he finally asked.

“I love him so much, Yoogeun-ah. From that day, I’ve always loved him and will always love him. The fact that we’re apart and won’t be together only makes me love him more.”

It had been awhile but he still kept quiet.I smiled at him. I knew he must have been speechless; it wasn’t his fault, and he was still too young to know how to respond to this kind of situation.

“I’ve warned you it’s not a good story to tell, but you insisted,” I broke the silence.

“No. I like it, your story. Is it ended like that?”

“No. It hasn’t ended yet. That happened ten years ago. My parents decided to stop setting up meetings for me since I was so lost after Minho left me. I talked less and smiled less; it was like I lost all my passion. My parents felt sorry for me but I told them that I just felt guilty about Minho and begged them not to interfere. Luckily, they really didn’t interfere. I never called or texted him anymore. I found it very difficult to do that, so I just left it that way. I knew it was wrong but I couldn’t help it.” I sighed.

“Do you remember the time when we visited my Grandma for the first time?” I asked him suddenly and he nodded to me.

“There is something that makes me never able to forget him. ‘I paid for the flowers, now you pay for the food.’ I remember it every time I stop at the florist to buy a bucket of white roses for my Grandma. I don’t hate Grandma-monthly-visit anymore, you know. That’s because of Minho. But now, I have to pay for both the flowers and Samgyetang.” We giggled together.

“Then, two years ago, he was back.”