Chapter 1

I Wish He Loved Me -contest entry

 

“Tell me a story,” he asked.

I looked at the fifteen-year-old boy in front of me and smiled.

“Why should I?” I teased.

“You should because...I just want to hear it. Please.” He gave me his best puppy eyes, making me want to pinch his cheek, but I didn’t do it because I knew he hated it.

“What kind of story do you want to hear, Yoogeun-ah?”

“Tell me something about you.”

His answer surprised me. I’d been a volunteer for this summer camp for many years but this was the first time a kid asked me about myself. Usually, they would ask me to tell them something interesting, something about what’s in, at least about some movies or worthy places in this town.

Yeah, this kid was different from the others. His name was Jung Yoogeun. He was a very cute and handsome boy. He wasn’t as cheerful as the others but he wasn’t a loner either. Hmm, he knew when he should be laughing and when he should be quiet. He was just very mature for his age. But for me, he was a very lovely kid. He lightened my day yet he hurt me at the same time.

I knew I shouldn’t have felt like that but I just couldn’t help it. Every time I looked at those big eyes, it reminded me about him.

“Appa!” he whined. His voice snapped me back.

“Yaaah! How many times have I told you not to call me appa?” I yelled back.

“But I want an appa like you,” he replied innocently. Did he know how much it meant for me?

“Come on, my uncle will pick me up in a few hours. I want to hear something about you before we’re apart.”

“But I really have nothing to tell you. Why don’t you tell me about you?”

“I’ve told you I have-“

“-a busy dad and I have no mom,” we said in harmony. Whenever I asked him about his family, he would always answer me like that. He had a very busy dad and his mom passed away when he was ten. As far as I knew, he was sent here by his uncle on his own will. And good news, all these summer camp activities made me forget about getting to know more about Yoogeun.

“You always tell me about it.”

“Now, it’s your turn to tell me.”

“Hmm, I’ve been being a volunteer for this camp for eight years if I’m not mistaken. It has been a long time-“

“No, no, no. I’m not interested in that. Don’t you have something more interesting in your life? I mean, this camp repeats the same activities every year, doesn’t it? Tell me about you out of this summer camp.”

“You’re very demanding, you know.” I paused a bit. I was considering whether it was right or not to tell him about my life since it wasn’t a happy story. But I think he deserved it. He deserved to know about me after what he had done to me. “What if my story isn’t a happy one?” I asked him, curious about what he might said.

 “It’s okay. I want to know it whether it’s a good one or bad one. Come on, just tell me already. You’re wasting my time.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll tell you. I used to be a model when I was around twenty-three years old-“

“Really? You were a model? That’s cool!” he interrupted me.

“Who’s wasting the time now?”

“Sorry, no more interrupting.” I smiled at him and patted his head lovingly.

“So, there was a day when I was still a model. It was late at night. The building had been very quiet for almost an hour. No one seemed to still be there except some people from the security division. But actually, the guards were not the only ones who stayed. There were two unexpected boys there; one of them intentionally stayed there but the other one had just finished doing his things.”

 


 

“I can’t, Mom. I’ve told you I have something to do,” a young, slim boy said on his phone. “I can’t just leave it like that.” His voice signalled annoyance. He rubbed his head frustratedly, messing up his long blond hair. “I won’t come! That’s final.” He threw his phone and buried his face on the table.

I have to go, he told himself after a moment.

He stood up and grabbed his bag and his phone before heading to the lift. He pressed the G button, leaning his back on the wall of the elevator while waiting for the lift to bring him down to the ground floor. But it stopped on the 2nd floor before it reached the wanted floor, and he groaned at the unnecessary annoyance of such a small, normal disturbance. When the door slid open, he saw someone familiar talking on the phone while walking in. He smiled a little and waved, feeling a bit surprised to know that there was still someone in this building that late at night. It was almost 11 P.M. then.

“Yes,” the taller boy next to him said. “I will be there in forty minutes at least. Okay, yes, I’ll bring someone with me. Yes, wait for me okay? Bye.”

“Hey, Taemin. Are you free tonight?” The latter boy was shocked by the sudden conversation between them.

“Y-yes,” the blond boy answered hesitantly.

“Good. Can you help me?”

Ding. The lift interrupted. They walked out once the door slid open.

“I don’t get it,” he replied.

“I need someone to come with me and you said you’re free so I asked you.”

Right after he finished his words, Taemin felt a vibration in his pocket.

“Ugh. Okay. Let’s go.”

Taemin felt it was weird for Minho – that was the taller boy’s name – to be asking him out. They were not close enough to hang out together, but for then, when Taemin actually needed an excuse to avoid something, why not?

“Where are we going?” Taemin asked once they were in Minho’s car.

“Restaurant,” he replied briefly.

Then there was nothing but silence.

No one seemed to want to start a conversation. Taemin sat nervously on passenger seat, stealing glances at Minho, who seemed so calm, like he was driving alone and no one sat next to him.

“Thanks,” Minho said suddenly.

“For what?” Taemin asked.

“Going with me.”

“Never mind. I help you and vice versa.”

“How?”

“Well, I’m avoiding something and glad you kidnapped me so I can tell that I’m helping my assistant photographer.”

The car stopped at high class restaurant. Taemin unbuckled his safety belt and was about to get out when Minho held his arm.

“Wait. I haven’t explained our roles yet.”

***

“Are you sure it’s okay?” Taemin asked cautiously. He was very nervous. Minho had just told him that they were going to meet Minho’s parents and he wanted Taemin to pretend to be his boyfriend. Taemin was unsure they could do that.

First, they were even not friends.

Second, he wasn’t a gay.

Third, he had to act like he was in love with Minho.

This will never ever work, Taemin said awfully to himself.

“It will be okay. Just tag along with me. We should act as romantic as ever. Come on Taemin, I really need your help.” He convinced him in front of the restaurant.

“But I’m a model, not an actor!” Taemin yelled. He glared at Minho. He just didn’t expect that Minho was going to ask him to do this when he agreed to go out with him. On the other hand, Minho stayed calm, his eyes softened, staring at Taemin.

“You’re just too nervous. Don’t worry, just take it easy.”

Taemin sighed. “Alright, alright, I’ll try.”

Minho entwined their hands, gaining a what-the-hell-are-you-doing look from the younger.

“We are couple,” he said simply.

“Do we need this?” he asked as his free hand pointed to their entwined hands.

“Yes.” Minho dragged Taemin inside, looking around before he finally pulled Taemin. He walked to a certain table and Taemin just followed him. Then Taemin stopped abruptly and his jaw dropped to its maximum before he whispered in horror.

“Mom?”

“M-mom?” Minho turned to Taemin and gave him questioning look. “Who’s mom?”

 

“So, Taemin is the one you wanted us to know?” Minho nodded to his dad.

Okay, this was what actually happened. Taemin was shocked when he saw his mom and dad were sitting together with his model agency’s director, Mr. Choi Yun-Gyeom. And Minho, who was confused about that ‘mom’ thing, asked Taemin about it and Taemin said that the woman who sat there was his mom. Taemin also wondered why his boss, who surprisingly was Minho’s dad, was sitting with his parents.

The of surpise was when their parents told them that they were setting up this meeting for them and were very glad to know that their sons were already in relationship. Then both Taemin and Minho were trapped in their family’s too-late dinner, regretting what they had done.

 

“Baby, I’m so glad to know about this. Why didn’t you tell us that you’re with Minho earlier?” Taemin’s mother his arm lovingly.

“Mom, don’t call me baby!” Taemin whispered, gaining laughter from the rest, including Minho.

“How long have you two been in this relationship?” Taemin’s father asked.

Damn, Taemin cursed. He glanced at Minho and found Minho was glancing back at him.

“A...month-” They said in unison, gaping at their density.

“Look, they’re so cute together,” Minho’s mom added. “It’s like they’re matching each other perfectly.”

Taemin bent his head at that praise, hiding his embarrassment.

“Yes, of course. We match each other well, don’t we?” Minho showed a fake cute smile while staring at Taemin, asking for agreement.

“Yes. We love each other so much.”

“Good. So we have nothing to worry about. Cheers for our sons!” Minho’s dad raised his glass and so did they.

The delightful too-late dinner for their parents but unwanted one for Taemin and Minho continued till midnight, sharing laughter and stories. They did not forget those hand touches, gentle pats, intimate glances, and fake unprepared stories they told to their parents to prove that they were a sweet couple. They really did a good job as couple.

“We have to arrange another family dinner soon,” Minho’s mom said when the dinner ended and they were going to leave the table.

“Dad, can I go home with Minho?” Taemin suddenly asked, making Minho turn to him in surprise. He didn’t expect Taemin would ask him to drive him home.

“What kind of question is that?” his dad spoke up. “Of course you can to go home with him.”

“Don’t worry; my son will take care of Taemin well,” Minho’s mom added, finishing the whole conversation as they headed together to the parking area. They separated on the way, saying goodbyes and see you later. Minho and Taemin reached Minho’s car and drove out. No one talked, and Taemin had no idea where Minho was driving. The only thing he knew was that it wasn’t the way to his house.  But his curiosity disappeared as soon as Minho stopped at a park. Without any words, they unbuckled their safety belts and went out.

“What about telling the truth? The sooner the better,” Taemin started.

“Hah, you told them you love me so much then say that it was fake just half an hour later. Are you kidding me?” Minho lost his patience. Taemin wasn’t the only one who didn’t want this. He also wished they had never done that, but he just could not tell his parents that what they did at dinner was just an act, not after they left the restaurant about half an hour ago.

“Then what are we going to do? Pretending to be a couple for God knows how long it is. Ugh, I was avoiding that dinner because I didn’t want to be set up with whoever they want me to meet but what I did was acting with you, the person they wanted me to be with. I’m even not a gay.”

“Do you think I’m a gay?” Minho struck back. “Listen, you’re not the only one who does not want this. I also do not want this. I hate this like hell. So, stop complaining and let me find a way out for both of us.”

Silence surrounded both of them as Taemin waited for Minho’s solution. He peeked at his watch; it showed 1:20 A.M.

Good, it’s like I’m going to be trapped with him till the sun rises.

“Let’s continue this,” Minho finally said.

“What?”

“Let’s continue this for two weeks or so, and then we can say we broke up because we don’t feel love for each other.”

“Then I should stick along with you for those two weeks. You’re even unsure about it. Two ing weeks!” Taemin shouted. “Minho, I’m sceptical about it.”

“We don’t have to be together all the time. We just should do it in front of our parents.”

Taemin sighed desperately.

“Then after those two weeks, what are we going to say? Run into our parents and tell them we broke up because we stopped loving each other?”

“Basically, it will be like that. Listen, just deal with acting as my boyfriend and I’ll take care of the rest. I’ll end this since it was me who brought you into this. Okay?”

Taemin had no other choice so he just nodded to him.

“Then, shall we go now?”

“Where should I take you?” Minho asked once they were in his car again.

“Just drive me to a bar. I think I’m not in the mood to stay at home.”