Morning after

House of Fate

"Hyung..hyung..sorry, but I want to open the door.." Zelo whispered to the older guy who was in a deep sleep on the floor. It was just 5 in the morning, and the cold air made Yongguk curled up in his sleep and unintentionally blocked Zelo's way to the door. Yongguk opened his eyes and saw the tall boy hovered over him with a guilty face, "I'm sorry to wake you up. You should move to the bed.."

"Oh it's you Zelo." Yongguk jumped up from his position and sat on the edge of the bed, he glanced at the clock on the bedside table with his eyes still half closed, "You're always up this early?"

"Ah nae.. I have to deliver milk every morning before I go to school." Zelo put on his hoodie and opened the door, "See you later, hyung. You can go back to sleep.."

Feeling fully awake already, Yongguk decided to go downstairs because he kind of heard people talking here and there. When he reached the end of the stairs, he saw everyone was busy running back and forth.

"Dahee, did you see my grey shirt??" Himchan's voice could be heard from inside the room on the corner and soon after Yongguk saw him rushed out to the kitchen with a bare chest.

"Noona, can I have another serving of kimchi?" Yongguk heard Zelo's voice from the dining room.

"Jongup get out from the bathroom, I need to use it!" Yongjae shouted to the second floor from below the stairs and smiled at Yongguk when he noticed him, "You're awake hyung? Breakfast is in the kitchen if you want to eat." 

"Nae." Yongguk nodded and headed to the kitchen. When he walked in, he saw Himchan stood behind Dahee as she brewed coffee inside a coffee pot. When Dahee turned around she laughed at the sight of Himchan who was topless in front of her with a lost expression on his face.

"Kim Himchan! How could you walk in the kitchen without a shirt? Have you tried the laundry room?"

"I did! But it's not there." 

"Can you just use another shirt?" She furrowed her eyebrows at her friend's act.

"I want to wear the grey one." Himchan nagged at her, slightly looked like a kid wanting his favorite tshirt.

"Aish, fine I'll find it for you." Dahee handed Himchan the coffee pot and walked past him. She paused when she noticed Yongguk, "Did we wake you up? The guys always so noisy in morning.."

"No, it's okay."

"I made coffee, just pour yourself a cup if you want okay." She smiled and walked out to find Himchan's tshirt. She met Zelo on the hallway, he was already put on his cap and shoes, "Going now? Be careful okay.."

"Okay. I'll bring some milk home later."

"Thanks, Zelo." She walked Zelo to the door and waved at him as he went out the gate to start his morning job. Zelo insisted on doing this part time job even though Dahee told him that he didn't have to. Zelo wanted to contribute to the house even for a little bit, so that Dahee and his hyungs don't have to always worry about his allowance and school expenses. As thankful as Dahee feel about Zelo's thoughtfulness, she still worry sometimes that Zelo wouldn't have a normal life like his friends if he have to work so many part time jobs, so she only gave him permission to work one job, and it must not disturb his school life. 

After sending Zelo off, Dahee got back to the house and continued her first chore this morning. Finding Himchan's favorite tshirt.

 

In the kitchen, Yongguk felt uncomfortable with Himchan's stare which never left his eyes since he walked into the room. Yongguk grabbed a cup and sat on the counter.

"Good morning.. do you mind to hand me that coffee pot?" He asked Himchan cautiously. Yongguk felt that Himchan didn't really like him, although he didn't know why. Himchan approached him and poured coffee into his cup, then put the coffee pot on the counter. Himchan stood resting his back on the counter edge besides Yongguk.

"So, who are you?" Himchan asked, crossing his hands in front of his chest.

"I'm Bang Yongguk.."

"I know your name already. I mean, why are you here? How did you meet Dahee?"

"She found me sleeping at the dumpster yesterday. She brought me here and treated my wounds, and then.. she told me I could stay here."

"That girl never change.." Himchan mumbled at himself. Dahee was so sure that Yongguk wasn't a bad person, but Himchan felt like he have to make sure of it himself. He couldn't just agree on what Dahee said even though he knew that Dahee usually never wrong about this kind of thing. From the years he knew her, he was sure that Dahee has the eyes of an angel, in which she could notice goodness in people's eyes when she saw them. And until today, she never wrong.

"Are you a fugitive? or were you just a homeless person to begin with?" Himchan never really held back in his words. He always say what he wanted to say and don't care to sugar coat them. Yongguk felt that he needed to gain Himchan's trust if he wanted to continue living here. Himchan seemed like the one who take the lead in this house besides Dahee.

"I'm not a criminal. Something came up, and I just ended up living on the street." Yongguk chose to say.

"I'll be honest with you. I don't like you here, but if Dahee want you to stay then I can't do anything, this is her house afterall. Just promise me two things."

"Tell me.."

"One, don't ever bring harm to anyone in this house." Himchan turned around and face him, "..and two, don't ever fall in love with Dahee."

 

 

♦ ♦ ♦ 

 

 

Dahee closed the door after Jongup, as the last person who has to go start his day, left the house. She walked into the kitchen and sat on the counter, sipping her half filled coffee cup. She thought over what to do today. She did her groceries yesterday, so it means she didn't have to go for another two days. Ah, cleaning. She intended to clean up the house yesterday but her encounter with Yongguk made her forget everything.

She poured herself another cup of coffee to fill her energy when Yongguk came to the kitchen and took a seat besides her, "Everyone's left already?" 

"Yeah.."

"You don't have work?"

"I took a leave for three days, I'll start working again the day after tomorrow."

"I see. Anyway, where are your parents?" Yongguk asked her, because he realized that they really live there by themselves without any parents.

"They passed away when I was 19.." She answered lightly.

"I'm sorry.."

"It's okay, it's the fact and I already gotten past that."

"Mind if I asked you how they died? Accident?"

"No.. it was old age, they were a very old couple. My mother died just a month after my dad, I guess they really couldn't live without each other." She paused and smiled at the thought of her parents, then continued, "Actually, I was an orphan. They adopted me when I was 10. They were already in their 50s and didn't have any children, they met me at the orphanage I stayed at and decided on the spot that I was the one. They're spontaenous like that. Even though they're old and couldn't really play with me, but they love me a lot. I was really lucky to have them as parents.."

"So, you got this house from them?"

"Yeah, they left me this house. They weren't rich, but they made sure that I will have a place to live."

"How about the guys?"

"What about them?"

"Are they an orphan too? Where are their families?"

"Zelo used to live with me at the orphanage, we were very close even when I was already adopted. When he knew that I lived alone after my parents died, he begged the orphanage caretaker to move in with me even though he was still underage. After months of sulking, they finally let him live here. He gave up his financial support from the government and said that he already big enough to take care of himself. That boy.." Dahee chuckled, feeling amused and proud at the same time at the maknae.

"Zelo did? I could never imagine.." Yongguk also chuckled. He felt like he likes Zelo even more.

"I know right. I'm thankful to him though, since he lives here with me I never feel alone. Even more when the other boys came."

"Ah, I noticed you especially close with Himchan. How did you meet him?"

"Himchan was the next to joined me and Zelo here. We knew him as the errand guy at the convenience store and he lived just down the street. One day, he was kicked out of his apartment because he couldn't pay the rent. Zelo invited him here to live for a while, but then we felt comfortable together so he decided not to moved out. He came from a big family with many siblings but he decided to be independent and moved out. He said he's not close with his family but I think he still visits his parents from time to time."

"I see.."

"Now, what's your story?" Dahee turned around and face him.

"Me? Where should I start.. I lived with my mother after my father died, but then we got separated because a loanshark came and threatened her to hand me to them. I was running away from those guys and try to find my mother. But you know..it's not easy to live in the city without anything on you. I left my backpack with my wallet in it when I was caught by Byungjin's men.."

"So, they're still out there looking for you?"

"Honestly, I don't know. Maybe they are, because my father's debt isn't small. But I can't let them catch me again, because..."

"Because..?"

"They want me as their payment..you know..they want my.." He gestured towards his body because he couldn't bring himself to say it out loud. He was embarassed to say that Byungjin wants him as his boytoy. Luckily for him, Dahee caught on fast.

"Oh my God..." Her eyes widen and she brought her hands to , shocked about a confession the man in front of her just told her.

"Yeah.. Now, you heard my story, do you want me to leave?"

"Why would I want you to leave?"

"Because if they're still out there, they might cause harm to this house.."

"But if you're out there, you will.."

"That's my problem to deal with.."

"No, you're a member of this house now, and that means what's bothering you is also our problem. So, what are you going to do now?"

"I still don't know. But first of all, I want to find my mother."

"Then we'll help. I promise I'll help you find her.." 

As Dahee put her hands softly on top of Yongguk's, he couldn't help but feel touched by the simple gesture. He looked up to see Dahee smiling at him with such a warm eyes. Himchan's words rang in his head, "Don't ever fall in love with Dahee." He intended to keep his promise but he felt like it would be a hard thing to do. Because at the moment, he felt his heart was beating fast for her. Trying to collect himself from his thought, Yongguk pulled out his hands and changed the topic.

"Anyway, does Himchan still work at the convenience store?"

"No, he works as a regular salaryman now because he said he needs to have a regular income if he wanted to help me with the house. Why?"

"It's just.. when I see everyone earlier, I kind of feel embarassed of myself. I didn't have any job nor I could help you with anything here. I feel like I'm going to be a freeloader. So, if he still works there I want to ask him whether they got an opening for a job."

"Yah! Your wounds aren't even healed, don't think of anything yet. And who said you can't be of a help here?"

"So, is there something I could do?"

"For now.." She stood up and looked at him with a big smile, "you can help me clean the house."

 

 

 

 


AN:

Is this story progressing too slow?

Tell me what you think :)