Home

House of Fate

Yongguk stirred in his sleep and slowly fluttered his eyes open. He woke up from his sleep for the second time today, but instead of the sky he usually saw everytime he wakes up, this time he saw a white ceiling on top of him.

Where am I? He asked himself and the bandage wrapped on his wrist gave him the answer. Ahn Dahee.. the angel he met this morning brought him here. He sat up on the bed and almost jumped in surprised when he saw a boy sat on the study desk across the room.

"Ah you're awake?" The boy asked him in a flat tone.

"Nae.. I'm sorry..are you the owner of this room?" Yongguk felt guilty for taking up the boy's bed, especially because his clothes were dirty.

"Yeah..it's okay. Did I wake you up?" The boy asked him with a frown on his face. Yongguk scooted to the edge of the bed so that he got closer to the boy.

"No, you're not. How long was I out?" Yongguk scracthed the back of his head.

"You're already asleep when I got home three hours ago, so I don't know.. Anyway, noona asked me to tell you to go downstairs when you wake up."

"Ah nae.." Yongguk nodded. He observed the tall boy in front of him who was now reading a book in his hands. "So, I'm Bang Yongguk. I know you must be surprised when you saw me here, but I promise you I'm not a bad person. I met your noona this morning and I wa–" Yongguk tried to start a conversation but cut off by the boy.

"Relax... I know you're not a bad person and I'm not surprised or anything, it's not the first time noona does something like this." He chuckled and closed his book. He stood up from his seat, making Yongguk opened his mouth in awe when he saw how tall the boy was, and sat besides Yongguk on the bed. "I'm Choi Junhong, but everyone calls me Zelo so you can call me that. Nice to meet you, hyung."

"Ah sorry, I was just afraid that you might be uncomfortable with me here. And, what did you say your surname is? Choi? but how.." Yongguk confused over the fact that Zelo has a different surname with Dahee. Isn't he her brother? or so he thought..

"I'm not related to Dahee noona, if that's what you're asking. It's a long story.. so how about we head down first? Noona said you haven't eat anything.." Zelo smiled at him.

 

Zelo leaded Yongguk downstairs and to the dining room, where he saw Dahee sat there with two other guys. They all turned their heads on his direction and Dahee smiled at the sight of him.

"You're awake? How are you feeling?" She asked him still with a worried expression on her face. Zelo walked past him and pulled a chair for him to sit. Zelo then went to the kitchen and heated the food for Yongguk.

"I'm fine..thanks..I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I slept that long.." Yongguk said hesitantly and he looked at the two guys who were sitting across him on the table. Seeing that, Dahee introduced them to him.

"Yongguk, this is Yongjae.." She pointed to a guy wearing a beanie, "and this is Jongup.." then the guy next to Yongjae bowed at him.

"I'm Bang Yongguk..nice to meet you." Yongguk bowed slightly in his chair.

"And this is Zelo, but I think you guys already met." Dahee said when Zelo walked back to the dining room with food on his hands. Zelo served the food for Yongguk and actually make it awkward for him to be treated that way by a boy he barely knew.

"Eat up, hyung." Zelo smiled widely at him. Yongguk never had a brother, but if he did, he imagined it to be like the boy in front of him. Although he was amazingly tall, Yongguk could see that he's not more than a teenager.

"Thanks Zelo.." He smiled back at the younger boy.

"I'm getting hungry too, is there still food in the kitchen Zelo?" Yongjae asked.

"Noona made enough for all of us, you can just heat it up first." Zelo answered and soon Yongjae walked to the kitchen with Jongup.

After a while, the sight in the dining room reminded Yongguk of a family having their dinner together. It warmed his heart and made him miss his mother at the same time. Dahee asked Zelo about his day at school, Yongjae nagged a lot about things, while Jongup silently ate his dinner. When everyone's done with their food, Dahee collected the dirty dishes and headed to the kitchen to wash them. Upon seeing it, Yongguk followed her to help her but she denied.

"Zelo can help me. How about you take a shower first? I'll wash your clothes later." She put the dishes in the sink and popped her head to the dining room, "Jongup, can you show Yongguk the bathroom? And lend him some of your clothes to wear."

"Sure. Come on, hyung. The bathroom is upstairs.." Jongup answered and Yongguk followed him. Jongup must be the quiet one in this house, he thought as they climbed the stairs without any conversation. Jongup opened the door on the corner and turned back at him, "It's the bathroom, there's a new towel inside. I'll put the clothes in Zelo's room okay?"

Yongguk nodded and locked the door once he's inside. He stripped off and stood below the shower, feeling refreshed as the cold water washed away the traces of his life on the street. After a full twenty minutes, he turned off the shower and put a towel to cover the low part of his body. 

He found a clean set of clothes on Zelo's bed. Jongup lended him a pair of his jeans and tshirts, even a new boxer. He smiled at the toughtfulness of the quiet guy. He put it on and sat on the bed for a while. He was thinking over what he should do after this. Dahee helped him, but it didn't mean that I could stay here forever right?

He headed back downstairs and found everyone in the living room. They were all watching the television except for Dahee who was reading a magazine. Zelo moved down to sat on the carpet when he saw Yongguk walked in, "Sit here, hyung.." Zelo just met the guy, but he already like him. And he hoped Yongguk likes him too.

"It's okay, I can sit on the carpet." Yongguk shook his head.

"I like it better down here.." Zelo grinned at him and pulled Yongguk to sit on the couch.

"Yeah the couch is uncomfortable for him because his legs are too long.." Yongjae commented and Zelo put a pout on his face.

"Stop teasing the maknae, Yongjae-ah." Dahee put the magazine down and laughed, "Just sit there Yongguk. You want anything to drink?"

"It's okay..you've done so much for me." Yongguk said hesitantly.

"I didn't do anything special. So, anything to drink?" She asked again only to be answered by Yongjae and Zelo.

"I want cola!", "I want hot chocolate!" They said in unison.

"Hahaha fine fine.. you sure you don't want anything Yongguk?" She asked once last time and replied by him shaking his head. "Okay.."

Yongguk rested his back on the couch and observed everyone who was watching the television seriously. When he first time came here, he thought that Dahee lives with her family. But looking at everyone, he noticed that no one has any resemblance with each other. Are they cousins? Friends? or what?

"Hyung, Dahee noona told me that you can sleep in my room with me." Zelo said to him.

"Eh? What does it mean?" Yongguk asked, confused.

"We're using the room together from now on. There's an extra bed in the storage, I'll bring it to the room later." Zelo said excitedly.

"Why?"

"What do you mean why? You don't want to?" Zelo dropped his smile because he thought Yongguk didn't like the idea of sharing the room with him. In fact, Yongguk was only confused over why they gave him a space at all. He never though of staying, he was going to go when his clothes already dry.

"I mean, I don't intend to stay here..so why–"

"Do you even have a place to go?" Dahee's voice cut him off. He watched her walked in in confusion.

"I..." Of course he didn't, but he didn't think he could stay either.

"You don't, do you? Then you're staying here." Dahee gave Yongjae and Zelo their drinks and stood in front of him.

"I don't want to bother you any longer.." He chose to say, "You barely even know me."

"Oh come on. If you put it that way, then we're all bothering her here." Yongjae rolled his eyes and Zelo just laughed at his hyung.

"What do you mean?" Yongguk asked in confusion.

"We were all barely know her too when we start living here." Jongup said with a warm smile. Jongup remembered the day he first met Dahee and be in Yongguk's position right now. The memory of that day always warm his heart, when he realized that he got a new family.

"So, you guys aren't related to her?" Yongguk asked.

"No, we're not. We were just strangers who happened to meet and live together. Because of her." Yongjae nudged his chin to Dahee with a wide smile on his face. He too, remembered how he first got here and he fully understood Yongguk's confusion right now.

"Everyone has their own reasons for staying here. I'm not forcing you to stay if you really don't want to, but from what I see right now, you don't have any place to go. So, how about you stay here for a while? If you really wanted to go someday, then you can go.." Dahee asked him softly. 

"Hyung, stay here.." Zelo asked him. Yongguk saw the look in everyone's eyes. He was welcomed here, he didn't have to go out and live on the street anymore. Also, if he really wanted to find his mother, he can't be living like he was before. After a moment of hesitation, he looked up at Dahee one more time.

"I can really stay?"

"Of course..you're Zelo's roommate now. He always wanted one, haha." 

 

 

♦ ♦ ♦ 

 

 

To celebrate their new member in the house, the guys decided to throw a movie night. They called a pizza delivery and ordered as much as they wanted to accompany them with their movie list for the night. It was already their second movie and they started to get sleepy.

"Zelo, you should sleep now. You have to wake up early tomorrow.." Dahee said to Zelo. Zelo looked at the watch and headed to his room.

"Hyung, I'm off to bed first okay? Annyeong." He waved at Yongguk.

"That kid likes you already, haha." Dahee grabbed a pillow and laid down on the carpet.

"So, what's his story? How did he end up here?" Yongguk asked her. Everyone was scattered on the floor with their own comfortable positions, trying hard to finish the movie before the drowsiness took them off to the dreamland.

"Long story.." She yawned.

"Okay maybe later.." He said when he saw that everyone was too sleepy to hold a conversation.

"This is boring. I'll switch to another movie, okay?" Yongjae stood up and reached for another DVD box.

"Hey, I'm still watching it.." Jongup rolled his body and protect the DVD player so Yongjae couldn't push the stop button.

Yongguk watched them in amusement. It's been a long time since the last time he feels safe and comfortable anywhere. This house was magic.

"So, what, there are four of you living in this house?" Yongguk asked Dahee who was now almost fully asleep.

 

"No, there are five." A voice coming from the living room entrance woke everyone up. Dahee jumped from her place and looked at the source of the voice.

"Himchan! Can you not walk in silence? It's midnight, you're scaring us!"

"Sorry.. I thought everyone's asleep already so I opened the door quietly." The guy, who Yongguk knew his name was Himchan from what Dahee called him earlier, now walked inside the living room. He stopped when he noticed Yongguk in the room.

"Who's this?" He asked to no one in particular. Yongguk could feel a slight annoyance in his tone, but he understood it well. He couldn't just walk inside a house and expect that everyone would like him in an instant.

"I'm Bang Yongguk.." He reached out his hand to Himchan. Fortunately, Himchan received it and shook it.

"Kim Himchan. So, what are you doing here?"

"I invited him here. He lives with us now." Dahee answered the question for Yongguk. Himchan looked at her in disbelief and pulled her out of the room. Everyone was taken aback at his gesture, especially Yongguk. He found himself hating the sight of Dahee's arms being pulled away by another guy.

 

Outside the room, Himchan took Dahee to the kitchen and probed her. "What are you thinking Dahee?"

"He needed help and he doesn't have any place to go, Himchan-ah.." Dahee said to him softly, expecting him to understand the situation.

"So you make him live here? I can't believe you.." Himchan shook his head in frustration. Of course he knew that this friend of his could never ignore someone in need, but he could never understand how far she would go just to help someone.

"Why not? It's not like it's the first time..you never had any problem before, why is it a problem now?" She furrowed his eyebrows, confuse over why Himchan so worked up over this.

"Because the other were just kids..but he, he is a grown man Dahee. What if he do bad things to you?"

"He won't.."

"How do you know?"

"I just know, okay. Please Himchan-ah, just let him live here. As your friend, I ask you to understand.." She grabbed his hands and asked him to just let this one go.

Himchan sighed in defeat. Partly because he knew he could never win this argument, and the rest because what she said just now, 'As your friend..". Himchan knew that he would never be more than a friend in her eyes, but he always tried to make it otherwise. But now with another man's presence in this house, somehow Himchan felt that his effort to win her heart would all go to waste. How did he know? He just know. Something in her eyes tells Himchan that she saw the new guy as special, even though maybe she didn't even realize it herself.

"Fine." He pulled his hands out from Dahee's grip and walked to his room in anger.

 

When Dahee's back to the living room, Yongguk approached her first, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah..I gues he's just tired."

"Should I go?" Yongguk asked her. He didn't hear what Dahee and Himchan talked about outside the room but he guessed it had something to do with him being there.

"No, no. He'll cool down in the morning. Don't worry.." Dahee ensured him with her smile. Yongguk didn't believe her, but if she said it that way then he would try to take his mind off of it. "The movie's over already? Aigoo.." She pouted when she saw the DVD already playing the credits.

"What's wrong with Himchan hyung?" Jongup asked her.

"PMS-ing." She said jokingly, "Let's just go to sleep. I'm tired.. see you guys in the morning." She yawned and headed to her room that was besides the living room. 

Yongguk stayed behind with Jongup and Yongjae to cleaned up the mess they caused tonight. Yongguk ensured the two younger guys that he would take care of the rest so they thanked him and walked to their shared bedroom. After done with the dishes, Yongguk headed to his new room and saw Zelo's back facing him on the bed. 

He forgot to ask him where the extra bed was and he didn't want to disturb Zelo by sleeping with him on his small bed. So he grab an extra pillow from the cupboard and laid down on the floor. He was used to sleep on the street, so even the floor felt comfortable for him.

Actually, everything in this house makes him comfortable. Yesterday he even thinking whether he would still be alive today, but now... now he felt like he's home already.

 

 

 

 


AN:

For you who questioned why Daehyun's not here, he will appear later in the story.

Just wait for it :)