One.

Woven Harmonies

 

 

 

 

He had a way with string instruments. His nimble fingers flew over the strings of his violin nailing every single note perfectly. Many a young person looked up to his skills and was left in awe of his performances. On another day, he might spread those same nimble fingers over the neck of a guitar and serenade the silence. It looked effortless and so simple, the way he made his fingers work, but it was the fruits of 15 years of non-stop practice that had brought him thus far. He played other stringed instruments, but those two were his favorite. He lived and breathed music, singing in a sweet yet husky voice that only he had. His voice was quiet, but he could often be heard humming along quietly to the songs he played and wrote. It was beautiful.

 

She played piano. Her fingers had graced the ivory keys as soon as she could walk. Three years of age, pulling herself onto the piano bench, and playing made-up songs, music also seemed to be ingrained in her blood. The passion for music flowed through her body and it was unstoppable. Her repertoire was quite extensive, as she nearly effortlessly produced the sounds of Chopin and Bach, Sometimes, she threw in a pop song for good measure, an interpretation she would make on the spot simply by listening to the song once or twice through. She too, hummed while she played; a habit picked up by her mother and it too, was beautiful.

 

Of course fate would have it that they attended the same school. Of course fate would put them in the same classes. Of course fate would give them the opportunity to meet the other. And of course, a twisted sort of fate would allow their personalities to be such that they wouldn’t talk to each other. Everyone knew of the great talents they possessed, and many people wished one day, the boy and the girl would speak to each other. That, a beautiful friendship and possibly even more, would form, and they would build each other up, creating music that would be heard around the world. But he was shy, an introvert, and distanced himself from the general population. She too, was quiet and reserved, but something told her that he would some day be an important part of her life. She observed him from afar, and her confidence grew over time, building up courage to say something to him.

 

“Good Morning, Yi Xing.” were the words that still sound in his ears today. Composition Class was ending, and everyone witnessed the way they had sneaked glances towards each other before, only to turn away abruptly when the other looked. She took the step forward towards him. He just looked at her. “Good Morning, Xia Tian.” a quiet voice broke through the sounds of people walking by, rushing to classes. He proceeded to abruptly put his earphones in and walk away. Whispers traveled through the hallways. The two greatest musicians of the greatest music academy in the nation had finally spoken to each other.

 

 

Zhang Yi Xing was a Chinese boy, from Changsha in the Hu Nan province. At the tender age of eight, he had been a country phenomenon, singing and dancing all over the television stations. However, as he grew older, he withdrew from the public eye, living a much more private life than expected. This gave him an advantage as he discovered and developed his passion for stringed instruments, specifically guitar. Between the violin and guitar, it seemed as though he preferred the violin. His concerts, which he rarely gave, always focused on the works of Paganini or Bach, or a respected classical artist. Whatever piece he decided to touch, he gave everything he could give it, and always left the audience mesmerized by the raw emotion instilled within each note.

 

However, this was not actually the case. The boy, often sat in his bedroom, hunched over his treasure book of songs he’d written, plucking at his guitar. Individual notes could be heard interrupting the silence of the room, followed by the occasional scratch of eraser across paper then pencil scrawling as he adjusted his composition. Once this process had been repeated for an hour or two, his sweet voice accompanied by a gentle guitar floated out from under the door and filled the house. During these times, he drew into his own world, where nothing else existed but his being, his guitar, and the sound of feelings being translated to a musical staff. No one dared bother him. When Zhang Yi Xing was in his element, there was no stopping him.

 

He collected guitars from around the world and hung them in an adjacent room connected to his bedroom, complete with a humidifier, as the atmosphere was often dry in the summer. If he wanted to achieve a different sound, he would take his little music stand, and sit in the humid room, surrounded by his guitars, playing each one until he achieved the sound he was searching for. He had gone on a world tour the year before. Each place he stopped at, he would spend a day before the concert looking for a guitar in the city to take home.  It was very enjoyable to walk the streets of Barcelona, Paris, New York, and Sydney without fan girls approaching him, making him feel uncomfortable.

 

Once his song was complete, and he had finely crafted a melody to match the lyrics from his soul, he would spend his entire free time recording in his private studio. One might say Zhang Yi Xing was a bit spoiled, and he got whatever he wanted. Yet, he remained humble. He had asked, with great reluctance, for a recording studio on his 16th birthday. But, he was granted his wish, and an extra bedroom next to his was converted to a recording studio with top of the line equipment. He taught himself how to use everything and read countless hours worth of the manuals so he could successfully record anything he wanted. It was his dreams come true.

 

His first song he recorded in the studio, a ballad about loving one from afar, was dedicated to his first love, a singer named Mei Xin. He heard her voice for the first time at the age of 14, as he was going to his private violin lesson located at the nearby university. He was late for his lesson and the teacher scolded him, but it didn’t faze him at all for all he could think of was the beautiful voice down the hallway singing an Italian Aria. It wasn’t real love though; it was infatuation, for young boys don’t often know what love is because they are too blinded by their infatuation. He stood outside the door to the building every week waiting for her to leave as soon as she finished her lesson. He’d sit there, waiting, and if the weather were good, he’d even show off a bit on his violin when she came out, serenading her from afar. She only smiled once at him, and politely nodded, but it was enough for his naive heart to soar.

 

Just as all good things must come to an end, she moved away a year later. Yi Xing was devastated, mostly due to the fact that he never once offered his name, a handshake, or the chance for her to befriend him.  He swore that if anyone else, like she, ever entered his life, he would man up and talk to her.  He would spark the greeting, the meeting, and if they were meant to be, then fate would bring them closer. He strongly believed this, and quietly waited for the opportune moment. But, for the rest of his high school days, no girl ever managed to tug on his heart strings strongly enough for him to take action. He only waited and continued writings songs. In the blink of an eye, he was attending university.

 

Yi Xing still remembered the day he first heard Xia Tian play piano. It was his 1st year of being a Violin Performance Major. In the evenings, after his last class, he liked to walk by the practice rooms, listening for Chopin Waltzes or Mozart Sonatas since she liked to play those frequently. A long pause could sometimes be heard, and he knew she was probably taking a break. Then suddenly, she’d bang out a Lady Gaga or Michael Jackson song on the piano, completely out of the blue. Her improvisations were genius and they were a one-time deal- you never heard the same thing twice. Often, Yi Xing found himself waiting until she played her random song of the night, before he’d trudge to the bus that took him home.

 

It wasn’t till after 3 months that he actually discovered what she looked like. He had been sitting on a chair, which he had dragged out from another room and set right outside her door. Without warning, the door swung open, and he closed his eyes, pretending he was asleep. It was fight or flight, and he chose the one that didn’t require him to explain why he was sitting right outside her door at 6PM when most students had gone to eat or were already home. He felt her gaze rest on him, he couldn’t explain how he knew, but he felt her presence. A finger gently tapped his shoulder and he shifted positions as though he were still sleeping. After several taps on the shoulder, the girl finally gave up and walked away. The second she turned to walk away, Yi Xing opened his eyes, and they were set on the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

 

Her hair was quite long, and very dark. She was a bit short, but he wasn’t very tall himself. She walked with confidence, and her dress was modest, yet her clothes fitted nicely and her sense of fashion in that particular outfit was outstanding. She turned the corner, and he quickly closed his eyes, just in case she glanced back. As soon as she left, he had a feeling that one day, they’d make music together. He wanted to make music together. One could just feel the feelings she pressed into the ivory keys, and the mood she had created with her final song, still hung thickly in the air. Yi Xing was impressed.

 

He went home, thinking about the mysterious girl when his parents called him for dinner that night. Mr. Zhang inquired why Yi Xing had been returning home so late in the evening. Yi Xing only mumbled something about a musical genius in the practice rooms, and then picked at his food. Cocking an eyebrow, Mrs. Zhang asked if there was a girl he was seeing. Yi Xing, horrified that his mother would even dare to ask, flushed, and quickly answered “No.” before shutting down and refusing to answer any more questions. His parents looked at each other in amusement.

 

He made it a habit to practice whenever she did.  In the following months, he’d enter the practice room adjacent to hers, and softly accompany her on his violin. If she was aware of it, he didn’t know, but it brought him great joy. He soon learned her style of playing, the way she expressed herself, and found that his own technique melded in harmony with hers. If there was one thing Yi Xing learned about Xia Tian, it was that whenever she played piano, he felt right at home, and comfortable. So comfortable, he brought his favorite guitar to school one day to accompany her. No one else knew he played guitar, but he wanted to know what they’d sound like together, and if the harmony would transfer over as he played his favorite instrument. He held his breath, and began playing with her, and as he played, a great, unknown feeling in his chest rose and he was happy. It worked.

 

Yi Xing did this nearly every day, for the whole 2 years of university. A few days before his 3rd year of school was to begin, he was cleaning out his recording studio when he stumbled across an old recording from his shelf of recorded CDs. It was entitled “一见钟情” meaning, “Love at first sight.” He hadn’t seen it in awhile, and popped it in the disc player. As the soft guitar began playing throughout the room followed by his light voice soon after, he remembered the amount of effort that had gone into this song, and whom it was for. Smiling at the memory of Mei Xin singing her Arias, he sat down, closed his eyes, and listened to the whole song for the first time in years.

 

As the song played, his own mind played back mental footage of her leaving, the one smile she gave him, and last of all, his promise to himself that he made when she moved away. He had never found anyone worthwhile during high school, just girls who liked him for his looks and talent, but didn’t ever show interest in getting to him as Zhang Yi Xing, the human being. However, three years had passed since then, and with a renewed mind, he thought of Xia Tian. She had never once spoken to him. He didn’t even know if she knew he existed. Some part of him hoped that she heard his accompaniment while she played and was looking for the person who quietly played with her. The song came to an end, and Yi Xing was now determined to befriend Li Xia Tian this year.

 

 

He stood there in awe, quite shocked actually, that she had actually greeted him. It was out of the blue, and to be honest, he was slightly upset that his dreams of being the gentleman who spoke to her first had been dashed. She had taken charge, and yet in spite of his disappointment, he was impressed. Yet one question bothered him. Why did she suddenly choose to break the ice? In fact, why had it taken so long to finally say something to her? Yi Xing blamed it on his lack of social skills and introversion, but deep inside, a part of his heart tugged at his mind, telling him that wasn’t the only reason. His first impulse, as always, was to fly, so he naturally turned away from her as soon as he returned her greeting.

 

Kicking himself, he trudged to his next class believing all was lost, when suddenly, a hand tapped on his shoulder. It was she. Xia Tian had followed him. “I was wondering if it was you who plays in the room next to mine when I practice.” she straightforwardly asked the lad who looked at her with a blank look. Yi Xing just stared at her, as many questions ran through his mind, only one managed to come out of his mouth. “Me, playing in the next room?” he squeaked out. She only nodded her head. This was his chance. He could tell her how he admired her playing so much, or he could pretend it wasn’t him. Curling his fingers out of nervousness, he looked her in the eyes and replied, “Yes.”

 

Yi Xing had never admitted anything like this to anyone before, and his heart beat rapidly against his ribcage. He just hoped she didn’t think he was weird or creepy for playing in the room next to hers for the past two years. “I’ve heard you in there for the past two years, and it took awhile for me to realize it was you. I’m sorry,” she said, failing to meet his eyes as she spoke to him in a soft voice. Yi Xing didn’t quiet now what to say. The only thought at that moment that ran through his harried mind was  “Why is she apologizing?” And before he could stop it, the question tumbled out of his mouth. She only smiled at him. “Well, your music was so moving, I looked forward every day to practice, so I could hear you as well. I only wish I had known it was you sooner.” she smiled, and began to continue walking towards her class. Yi Xing hadn’t realized they had actually stopped walking until now, and his feet took him in her direction. “No, I’m sorry. I should’ve made myself known to you.” he ducked his head down and kicked at a pebble as they continued walking to class. “You go to class this way?” he asked when he realized she wasn’t turning around or going a different direction. “Always have.” she remarked as they reached the door to their building.

 

He opened the door for her, and they walked down the hallway in complete silence. Yi Xing stole a glance at Xia Tian, and a smile began forming on his face as he thought of his promise. “W-would you like to get some lunch today?” he ventured. Xia Tian turned to him, surprised. “Only if you promise to come practice with me. In the same room.” she added at the end. Yi Xing pondered for a bit. It wouldn’t hurt, really, and it was his chance to truly play side by side with a woman he admired for her musical talents. “Of course.” he answered with a boyish grin. “Great. I’ll meet you at the cafe across the street after this?” Xia Tian asked. “Sounds like a plan.” Yi Xing replied. She turned to open the door to her classroom, sparing a glance over her shoulder as Yi Xing continued a few door down. He also turned around, and waved to her before entering his own classroom.

 

 

And just like that, a beautiful friendship, between the two young people began to form. Yi Xing never failed to appreciate the courage and timing Xia Tian had that day. In fact, he felt that her timing was always impeccable. Not only musically, but just the way she so happened to get to school at the same time he did, so they could walk to school together from the parking garage. The way she so happened to leave her classroom just as he was walking by her door, or how she happened to be at the cafe, ordering a coffee, just as he walked inside to get a coffee as well. It was almost as if they were destined to spend life by each other’s side.

 

They played together every day. Piano keys, the soft hum of a violin and muffled singing or humming could be heard from the practice room, which they occupied nearly every day. Yi Xing’s gentle voice harmonized with Xia Tian’s light airy voice. His violin wove in and out, gracefully stitching together the piano Xia Tian played, into a wonderful quilt; warming the hearts of those who happened upon it. They complimented each other very well, and the music they simultaneously wove together, was pure delight to the ears. Yi Tian - their couple name, as the student body affectionately referred to the talented duo, had only begun to spread their wings.

 

The two became inseparable. It took a little while, but soon enough, Yi Xing’s seat moved next to Xia Tian’s in Composition class. He shyly asked one day, if the seat next to hers was taken, and she had nodded no. But he was so embarrassed; he just sat down with tinted cheeks and said nothing more. Everyone noticed, but no one said anything, and the professor merely smiled, pleased with the change.

 

Then, they walked together to the next building, where they would engage in discussion about the day’s classes, before parting in the hallway, only to meet again for lunch an hour later. And later in the afternoon, one could find both Yi Xing and Xia Tian playing to their hearts content in the Practice Room, lost in music.

 

Lunch at first was awkward. Yi Xing didn’t seem to have much to say, but he did in fact have a lot to say. He was slightly uncomfortable with Xia Tian still, and didn’t want to scare her away. What he didn’t know was that Xia Tian was intent on staying. She wanted to know more about him, more about the boy who grasped her attention so easily; something no other boy had ever done. Slowly, she began to coax him out of his shell, managing to ask the right questions, never pushing him too far, and she found that as he unfolded before her eyes, she too, began to reveal herself to him. It scared her a bit at first, but it was exhilarating.

 

 

“Why did you talk to me?” They had been nearly inseparable for three months now, and it was November. Yi Xing was sprawled out over the practice room floor, and Xia Tian’s shoes were kicked in the corner as she hugged her knees, wrapped in his jacket, while sitting on the piano bench. They were taking a quick break, and Yi Xing’s wondering mind finally got the best of him. It was something he’d pondered a lot lately. He even had begun writing a song about them, their friendship, but he was still conflicted on his real feelings for her. Did he like her as just a friend or could they be something more? So, his song had sat untouched in his studio for the past 3 weeks.

 

He also had somewhat avoided Xia Tian lately, as he was a tiny bit unsure of her feelings for him. She was very comfortable around him, and had made it clear Yi Xing was someone she could count on, someone she trusted. She had also made it clear, how much she cared for him. The tiny little acts of kindness she had performed for him, and no one else, told him this.

 

“Because I found you interesting.” She replied after a long pause, wrapping herself tighter in his jacket. Inhaling his scent, she found comfort in it. Yi Xing flopped over on his stomach, and looked up at her. “I was planning to talk to you that day, actually. You just beat me to it.” He told her. Xia Tian inspected her fingernails closely, something Yi Xing noticed she did when she was thinking. “Well, I wanted to know if it was you playing, because you sounded amazing.” Her simplified answer came. Yi Xing smiled. “I thought you sounded even better.” Plus, you looked beautiful, his mind added. “Let’s run through the last page one more time, then we should go. It’s almost 8.” She broke his thoughts.

 

He suddenly remembered the first time he saw her and her long dark hair. That same dark hair still hung to her waist, and seeing her engulfed in his jacket, made him smile. He still thought she was beautiful, if not more beautiful than she was when he first laid eyes on her, and he always would. He didn’t want to run through the last page, he suddenly just wanted to be by her side. And thus, for the first time, he came up behind her, as she turned around to face the piano, and wrapped his arms around her. “Let’s just go eat.” He whispered in her ear.

 

Time seemed to be frozen, and Xia Tian slowly brought her hands down from the keys. Her heart beat rapidly, and she prayed he couldn’t hear it, even though it was practically thumping out of her chest. She had never had physical contact with Yi Xing before, in spite of the amount of time they had spent together. They stayed like that for a full minute before Yi Xing let her go. Xia Tian was afraid to react, afraid that Yi Xing would shut down, leave, and take a full week to return to his normal self. It happened when he once complimented her on a dress she wore to school.

 

But he did neither. He was calm and composed, and smiled at her, before helping her pack up her books. Inside though, was a different story. He couldn’t believe he had just done what he did. But Yi Xing was determined to not run away this time. It took all he could to not drop everything and leave in embarrassment, but he had to show a different side of himself to Xia Tian, so he proceeded to not only remain calm, but insisted on carrying her things for her. “It’s cold outside, Xiao Tian, keep my jacket on so you won’t catch a cold.” He just couldn’t avoid Xia Tian any longer.

 

They went to a local restaurant near her home, which served American food. “Yi Xing, do you have a nickname? You always call me Xiao Tian.” She said when we had gotten our food and sat down. The entire time had been quiet up until that point. Yi Xing glanced at her. She looked so cute, munching on her fries; he just wanted to pinch her cheeks. “Lay.” He said. Then he took a huge bite of a hamburger to avoid answering her next question right away. “Lay? What does Yi Xing have to do with Lay?” she cocked her head to one side as she thought of the possibilities of where the name came from. “Is it because you sometimes look sleepy? And usually are sleepy?” she asked. Lei, meant tired, in Chinese. He looked at her and stopped chewing, completely surprised. He nodded his head.

 

The next second, the quietness was washed away by Xia Tian’s laughing. Slightly scowling at her, his cheeks once again, turned very pink. “It’s so cute. Lay-ah.” She said, after laughing heartily for a minute or two. “But that’s what other’s call you right?” she asked. Yi Xing didn’t know where she was taking this, but he answered anyways. “Yeah, my mom once called me that when I was 5, and it stuck.” Xia Tian thought it was adorable, but she had a name for him in mind, something she always referred to him as in her mind.

 

They were hungry, and within the next few minutes, their meals were gone. “I was hungry.” Xia Tian commented. Yi Xing laughed, “Shall I call you ‘E’ now?” referring to the Chinese word, meaning hungry. She only glowered at him.


Although it was nighttime, the Beijing sky showed barely a trace of stars. “Yi Xing, can you see the stars?” she asked, as they walked to her car. Yi Xing thought, and then proposed a plan. “Let’s go to the country one day, and lay in a field at night, so we can see them.” The thought of lying side by side with Yi Xing brought a touch of giddiness to Xia Tian and she smiled. “It’s winter though.” She giggled. “Then we’ll wait for summer.” He said.

 

They had reached her car, and he helped her get in. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Xing Xing.” She emphasized the nickname she had thought of for him. “Xing Xing?” he asked, surprised. “Yes, Xing Xing. Because you’re always there no matter what, My Star.” She smiled at him, and he felt his insides turning to goo, mesmerized by her smile.

 

A month later, preparations for the Winter Concert were beginning, university-wide. It was to be held in January. The music director called for both Yi Xing and Xia Tian one afternoon. They had been in their usual practice room, practicing a number of duets for the concert before deciding on which one they would perform.

 

“Good Afternoon, Yi Xing, Xia Tian.” He began. “As you may be aware, the concert preparations are beginning, and we’d like to not only see solo pieces from you two, but also a duet. Thoughts?” The music director tended to give very talented musicians a choice, like he was giving the pair, but it was very rare. The two smiled at each other. “We’ll do the duet. We were just practicing, in fact.” Yi Xing answered for the two of them. “Yes, we’ll do it.” Xia Tian added.

 

“Great. And as for your individual pieces?” The music director inquired. “I’ll have to pass on that one.” Yi Xing said with a serious tone. The music director looked very surprised. “Alright.” He said slowly, his disappointment obvious. “I’ll do it though. I have a Chopin Waltz that I’m preparing.” Xia Tian answered. She was very disappointed that Yi Xing was choosing not to play, and it was obvious in her tone. “Perfect, I’ll schedule you in then.” The director said.

 

The pair left his office, when Yi Xing suddenly announced he had to use the bathroom. Xia Tian cocked an eyebrow at him, because he had never, in their months of friendship, announced anything as personal as that. She had realized, this as soon as he ran away, and could only wonder what had gotten into the boy. As she thought about it, Yi Xing now, had made a drastic difference from Yi Xing 5 months ago. Yet, she liked the change. He was always by her side, he cared for her very much, and she held a very special place for him in her heart.

 

After watching him leave, she went back to the practice room. Deciding to not play until he came back, she reminisced about their times together and the relationship she had with him. Xia Tian hadn’t really deeply thought about her future with Yi Xing, where they would be years from now. It scared her, because deep inside, she knew her feelings for Yi Xing were growing day-by-day, smile-by-smile, every time he laughed, and there was something that attracted her to him; her growing Love for him, it was unstoppable.

 

She wrapped herself in his jacket, and inhaled his scent. It was an intoxicating smell, and often times, it rubbed into her hair when she wore his jacket. She would go to sleep, comforted by his aroma, as if he were lying next to her himself. She wouldn’t mind that. Picking up his compositions folder, a paper that was stuffed in the very back, floated to the ground. Xia Tian picked it up, and her eyes fell upon the title. Written in tiny characters underneath the English print, it said “For Li Xia Tian.” Suddenly, footsteps neared the door, and she quickly stuffed back in the folder, placing it carefully back just like she found it.

 

 

Yi Xing had only run around the corner then peeked around to make sure Xia Tian had gone back into the room. He ran to the music director’s office and knocked on the door. “Sir, I want to play a solo in the Winter Concert.” He blurted. The Music Director looked taken aback. “Of course, why the sudden change in mind?” the director asked. “Well, you see, I’d like to play a song for someone special. My own composition. It wouldn’t be classical.” Yi Xing said, crossing his fingers under the desk in hopes the director would agree. “Xiao Tian?” the director asked, teasingly. Yi Xing looked surprised and blushed, then nodded yes, in reply. “I sometimes listen to you two play, and you sound amazing. I’ve noticed that’s your pet name for her. Sorry.” The director stated awkwardly.

 

The musical genius of a boy left the room, relieved that his plan would follow through. The composition he had started writing for her, he had finished the week before. The song featured a soothing guitar melody blended with his gentle vocals about his feelings for her, and the journey they’d been on together. He had stayed up late, recording in his studio, as soon as he was satisfied with it. Since this was very important to him, as was she, he wanted it to be perfect, and it had taken countless failed attempts to get on the right track. As he approached the practice room, he smiled at the thought of her.

 

 

The evening of the Winter Concert was finally upon them. Xia Tian took one last look in the mirror before leaving her room. She was wearing a maroon gown, with her hair done up, and smoky makeup. Her heels gave her some height, every hair in place, not a smudge of makeup anywhere it shouldn’t be. The doorbell rang. She opened the door to reveal a very handsome Zhang Yi Xing in a tuxedo, with a wine colored tie. They matched.

 

She was in awe of his beauty and his masculine features seemed even more pronounced in the soft light that filled her foyer. His caramel hair had been styled to perfection; he was clean-shaven, and the scent she had come to love, hung in the air around him.

 

He stood there, taking in the sight that he beheld. She left him breathless. After a minute of them taking in each other’s presence, he finally spoke. “Good Evening, Li Xia Tian. You look stunning. I am in shock.” And he dramatically pressed his hand against his chest, as though he might faint. “Mr. Zhang Yi Xing!” she said embarrassed, as a faint blush crept upon her cheeks. “I must say, you do look quite handsome yourself.” She added quietly.

 

He didn’t know what came upon him, but as he watched one of her curls fell down, he found himself gently tucking it behind her ear. They stared into each other’s eyes for a few seconds. “We don’t want to be late Xing Xing.” Xia Tian broke the silence. He broke away from her. “Right.” He said. Yi Xing watched as she put on her winter coat, his eyes full of love for the woman standing in front of him. He escorted her to his car, and they drove to the Beijing Opera House.

 

Yi Xing watched from backstage as his Xiao Tian walked on stage, greeted by thunderous clapping. She gracefully moved across the stage to the piano, where she sat. The audience grew quiet, and Yi Xing could feel his heart begin to race. Her fingers flawlessly danced up the keys, and her interpretation of the Chopin piece she was playing, was sure to be the talk of the music critics. He closed his eyes, and felt the music rush through him. It felt like a blink of the eye, and he heard the thunderous applause. It was now his turn to duet with her.

 

Xia Tian bowed to the audience, glad she perfected the piece in time, and couldn’t wait to play with Yi Xing. It would be their first performance together, and it was to be recorded, as the world had awaited this for many years. He joined her on stage in a matter of seconds, and took her hand, and led her to the front of the stage.

 

She was surprised, but when did Yi Xing not surprise her? He was always bringing something new to the table, and every day she learned more about him, falling more and more. Xia Tian turned to look at him only to find him looking right back at her. He smiled, charming her, and although she was nervous for it was a highly anticipated performance, Yi Xing had a way of calming her nerves that only he could do. She smiled back, and they bowed together.

 

He retrieved his violin from where it rested on the piano, and tucked it under his chin. The silence in the audience was deafening. She placed her fingers in starting position. The anticipation was great, and they were given the signal to begin. Counting to three, the instant she pressed her first chord down, Yi Xing’s violin sounded, and instantly, they were transported to another world. One where the audience didn’t exist, and it was just the two of them playing out their hearts, their emotions. Just like in the practice room, the held a conversation with their instruments, and the harmony was beautiful. Everything was at peace.

 

Their duet ended, and the applause was deafening. Yi Xing looked at Xia Tian, who smiled, and they shared a moment, lost in each other’s eyes. Returning to reality, Yi Xing, placed his violin back on the piano, and took her hand, helping her off the piano bench. Together, they walked to the end of the stage, and as flowers were being placed at their feet, Yi Xing picked one up, and tenderly placed it behind Xia Tian’s ear.

 

They returned to the backstage area, where Xia Tian was still left speechless and his actions. Yi Xing was due to return to the stage in a few minutes, and she sat down, fixing her makeup at the mirror. “Come watch me.” He came up behind her, and gently massaged her shoulders. Xia Tian looked at him shocked, but replied “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” So he was going to play after all. She thought.

 

At that moment, Yi Xing just wished he could envelope her in a hug, but that part must wait. The stage manager called for him, and the applause could be heard already. “Go get ‘em Xing Xing.” Xia Tian called out as he walked to the entrance. He turned around and winked.

 

“Good Evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. I am Zhang Yi Xing. For my solo piece tonight, I’m going to do something different. Please enjoy.” Yi Xing said, and he picked up his favorite guitar, from a hidden stand. Xia Tian’s eyes grew wide. The stage manager came up to her. “Miss Li, Mr. Zhang requests that you come out onto the stage when I cue you.” He informed her. She was confused, but only nodded.

 

Zhang Yi Xing’s fingers gracefully caressed the neck of his guitar, as he began skillfully finger picking the intro to his song. A headset had been given to him before. As he finished the intro, his voice rang out throughout the auditorium. Gentle, soothing, and he too, left the audience in a trance.

 

He sang of a girl who changed his life, a girl he thought was beautiful, a girl whom he wanted to be his lady. Looking over at Xia Tian, he motioned for her to come out, as he neared the end. He only saw her, as she walked towards him, and his voice quivered at the end. The last chord resounded throughout the auditorium, but the applause was held. He reached behind the piano, and brought forth a bouquet of roses, presenting them to Xia Tian.

 

“Li Xia Tian, you have opened me up, brought me to life, brought my music meaning, and I don’t know where I’d be without you. You are beautiful, stunning in every way, and your talent is unmatched. I’ve sung of my feelings for you, and the journey we’ve been through. I Love You, Li Xia Tian. Would you do me the honor of becoming my girlfriend, my other half, My Love?’

 

Xia Tian was in awe of everything, and it rendered her speechless. Tonight had only confirmed her dedication and love for the man standing in front of her. Without a pause, she answered, “Yes. I will, Zhang Yi Xing.”

 

He finally had the chance to do what he’d wanted to do for a long time. He pulled her into an embrace, and the witnesses broke into cheers. Pulling out a huge bouquet of roses, he presented it to her, and pressed his lips against her forehead. Her skin was so soft, and as he drew away, he found himself not being able to bring his gaze away from her lips. Xia Tian smiled, and nudged him. “Go ahead.” she encouraged. Yi Xing grinned, and slowly pressed his lips against hers. Finally.