Helpless

Amnesia

A nurse walked into the room and, seeing me awake, shooed the four boys out, Jonghyun and Key both sobbing into their hands.

She calls in a doctor and starts checking all of the machines, taking quick notes on a pad of paper.  A doctor comes in and shines a light in my eye, which I had not at all expected.  He too starts taking notes.

He leans close to me and speaks loudly and slowly, as if I'm either a child or too stupid to respond.

"Do you remember anything?"

That's kind of a stupid question, but I shake my head.  He just nods and takes more notes.

"Your parents are outside and they request to speak with you."

I search my brain for any memories of parents.  Do I have parents?

I nod and he opens the door.  A man and a woman step in.  They must be my parents but, as expected, I don't recognize them at all.

"Jinki!" The woman throws her arms around me and kisses my cheek.

"Jinki?" I repeated.  I thought my name was Onew...

The man walks up beside her.  "How are you feeling?"

"Jinki?" I repeat again.

My mother looks at the doctor, utter panic spread across her face.

"He has suffered a serious head injury, causing, we believe, memory loss." The doctor tells her calmly.

You believe?

My umma lets out a cry and puts her head against my father's shoulder.

"But...but you remember us, r-right, Jinki? We're your p-parents!" she sobs.

I just stare at her.  I don't know what to say.  I honestly can't remember.



My parents leave after an hour or so of crying and trying to tell me who they are, hoping that they can jog my memory.  I just lie there, feeling like a vegetable.  I don't know what to do.  I don't know what I can do.  I feel alone and helpless.

Jonghyun comes in once my parents leave, his eyes red from crying.  He sits on the end of the hospital bed and takes my hand.

"Do you remember anything about me?"  He asks, a pleading look on his face.  "About...us?"

I shake my head. "I'm sorry."

He leans over and kisses me.  It feels weird, like I'm kissing a stranger.  I am kissing a stranger.

He pulls away, looking hopeful. "Anything?"

I shake my head again.

His eyes start to tear up again. "Eventually, you will feel something.  I will make you remember, Onew.  We won't lose what we had before.  I promise."

I wasn't so sure, but I just nodded blankly and forced a smile.



All four of those boys visit me periodically.  Sometimes, they will all come together, but sometimes they will come by themselves.  Well, except for Taemin.  He never comes alone.  I have the strangest feeling that something happened between the two of us that I don't remember.

But, why do I remember him and not anyone else?

Jonghyun comes to visit me every day.  It's almost annoying.  Not that I don't like him.  It's just that...well...actually, it is that I don't like him.

He's very attractive, indeed.  But, for some reason, I just can't see myself ever wanting to be with him in a romantic relationship.  From what I've noticed as he visits me, he's incrediblly clingy.

As for Taemin...I can definitely see myself with him...wanting to be with him.

After about a week of being in the hospital and having the nurses run test after test after test, they finally tell me that I can go home within a couple of days.

My only issue: where is home?

I ask Jonghyun if my parents are going to pick me up to take me home, because he is the only one in the room, but he just looked at me weirdly. After a few seconds, understanding registered on his face.

"Oh...you don't remember.  The five of us live together." He smiled.

Oh.  That's great. Not only do I have to put up with him here, but I also have to live with him.  How did I live like this before?

 

The day before I was allowed to leave, Key and Minho visited me alone.

This was my chance to press some questions.

"How long have Jonghyun and I been going out?" I asked them.

They looked at each other, puzzled.

"Uh...Three...Four months?" Minho thought aloud, Key nodding slowly.
 

That long? How the hell did I put up with that?

"Why...why doesn't Taemin visit me?"

Key turned away quickly.

"We don't know..." Minho said honestly, looking at Key. "Right, Key?"

Key looked up quickly. "Uh...yeah. Right. We...we don't know."

"You two just stopped talking a while before the accident." Minho sighed. "We were all surprised that he even visited you in here."

Key nodded vigorously, looking slightly unsure.

Why would Taemin just stop talking to me?  Did I do something?  And why the hell do I feel like there's something about him that is different from everyone else.

I mean, why do I remember him? 

God, I hate feeling this helpless.


 

Why, Onew?  Why do you remember Taemin?  Will anybody ever know???

Oh, wait.  I know. *mischevious smile*

Comments?  I do adore your comments :)