-Untitled-

The Dying Silence

untitled for this chapter because I haven't thought of a name.

I'm sorry this chapter is late and so short. I'm hosting a student right now, and I don't have time to write always~

But enjoy!

I should have time to get the next chapter finished and posted soon
 


    

     Just one hour, half a box of band-aids, and a fresh set of bandages later, the pair was sitting at opposite ends of the couch. Junhyung, swaddled in blankets – under Hyunseung’s insistence that he should keep warm— had chosen to stay on the ruined side, looking rather annoyed as a result of their overall closeness; his face contorted into a disapproving scowl as it was, and his arms folded over his chest. It was hard to tell, for everything beneath his shoulders was covered by one (or more) blankets, but the positioning in his body was a big enough of a hint for the brunette.

     Hyunseung, on the other hand, was alternating between staring at the wall before him, and glancing back to Junhyung every few seconds, contemplating the conversation they had held just moments before hand. While tending to both his fever and injuries, Hyunseung had asked about their origin, discovering quite quickly that it was, for some reason, a slightly sensitive topic. But, he had still managed to learn that they were a result of some sort of fight, and that the worrisome wound at his collar-bone was indeed from a knife.

     Yet, it wasn’t that part the brunette couldn’t get over. Rather, it was the simple fact that the man sitting just a matter of feet to his right, had actually been in such a fight.  

     Perhaps, part of him thought, that explained the reason behind the knife he had found in Junhyung’s pocket. It certainly seemed like a plausible explanation. Though, that didn’t make it any more pleasing for Hyunseung to consider. In fact, it only made him feel even more uncomfortable about his whole situation. It was already strange enough, to be housing a complete stranger for the time being. But now knowing there was a very strong possibility that said man was involved in violence on a regular basis made him more than just a little uneasy. Junhyung certainly didn’t look like the top to be a mass-murderer— but wasn’t there a saying that went against that? Looks aren’t everything?

     Still, there was that “what if” floating ominously over his consciousness. What if Junhyung really was some sort of, dare he allow himself to think it, gangster who went around town beating other people and stealing for fun. Swallowing hard, he glanced back at the other, who was still attempting to bore holes in the wall with that glare of his, and felt himself give an involuntary shudder.

     But, despite his unwillingness to pry any further, Hyunseung supposed it had to be done. If Junhyung was to be staying with him until he was well enough to move about, he had a right to know, didn’t he?

     “Yah, Junhyung,” he tried after clearing his throat none too quietly.

     Junhyung turned his head—though not the whole way, just enough to show he had heard the brunette, a hand slipping out from under his blankets as he breathed a  soft “Hmm?”

     “How exactly did it start?” Hyunseung continued, his voice just barely elevated above a whisper, “The fight, I mean.”

     To that, Junhyung responded with a rather breathy sigh. Slowly, he turned his head, and by extension the rest of his body, to face Hyunseung. For a moment, he hesitated, his scowl deepening as he repeated the question in his head. Cautiously, his eyes flitted over the brunette, taking each detail as carefully as he could. His posture, the worried yet curious expression set upon his features. And, after just a minute, he had decided that the other didn’t seem to be any sort of threat, not really at least. Rather, he seemed to be genuinely curious as to what had happened.

     So, Junhyung figured he may as well respond.

     “ happens,” he said simply with a crooked smirk.

     Hyunseung made a face of disapproval, an expression that seemed to say, “That’s not what I meant.” Still, Junhyung would have left his response at that, had the brunette not huffed and given him his best pout.

     “Aish, fine. Just quit pouting. What are you, some kind of girl?” Junhyung said at length, barely able to keep from grunting a little in his annoyance (though he was rather amused to see Hyunseung’s pout disappear in a fraction of a second), before correcting himself with a simple, “I got jumped.”

     “Jumped?” the brunette repeated with a hint of confusion in his voice.

     “A local gang decided it was time for a little fun, and I just so happened to be in the area— we don’t exactly get along. I wasn’t prepared for a fight. And, well, one thing led to another. I think you know the rest?” he finished, hefting a light shrug and seemingly satisfied with his response.

     Though, Hyunseung on the other hand, was less than pleased. The answer had cleared up a few details, yes; but still the brunette had the feeling that he was in the dark. That he was being kept there, intentionally, by Junhyung. Which, naturally, did almost nothing to calm his nerves. In fact, it only seemed to serve to raise his level of suspicion towards the other.

     Hyunseung’s eyes narrowed, his lips pressing together to form a tight line.

     “You’ve never…jumped anyone though, yeah?” he mumbled after a few minutes of returned silence, hopeful that the answer would be anything other than yes.

     Junhyung, however made no signs of responding, instead shifting back into his previous position.

     ‘Well then,’ Hyunseung thought. ‘I guess we’re back to square one?’

     But then, right as his thought was finished, Junhyung glanced back over his shoulder at the brunette, their eyes locking for a split second as he nodded. His lips slowly moving to form the word, “Once.”