The Start of a Very Long Day

The Dying Silence

Sorry this took a little bit longer than usual guys~

I wanted to make this chapter a little bit longer, but I might not have time to post it tomorrow if I keep writing, so I decided to leave it where it was. I didn't edit this chapter as much, so... sorry about that ^^;

 


 

       Hyunseung stood before his pantry with his arms crossed, one over the other, a look of disapproval set on his features. The more he thought about it, the more he realized it probably would have been a good idea to have asked Junhyung what sort of food he usually ate. That sounded reasonable enough, to Hyunseung at least.

       Sticking his tongue out from between his lips, the brunette huffed began grasping at almost anything that was within his reach. Soups, boxes of crackers, snack foods. It didn’t matter what it was, if it looked even remotely appetizing, or had even the slightest bit of nutritional value, Hyunseung pulled it from the shelf and set it on the counter. Only after he had accumulated a pile of notable size did he stop, click the pantry door shut, and examine his findings.

       For the most part, his pile consisted of various soups. He had ruled out rice as an option, simply because his stash was running low, and out of the knowledge that it would take a little longer than he desired to cook— it wasn’t just Junhyung he was planning on feeding, after all. And, soup just seemed to be the next easiest thing to make.  Not to mention it would probably be easy on the other’s stomach.

       So, after spending a little less than a minute glancing from can to can, his right index finger tapping his chin thoughtfully as he did so, Hyunseung ended up selecting a plain can of chicken noodle. Almost everyone liked chicken noodle, right? Or, so he thought. He just hoped Junhyung would be satisfied with his selection. From what he had observed in their brief encounter earlier, the brunette felt as though little pleased the other.

       Then again, he supposed it really didn’t matter all that much—if Junhyung was happy with the selection or not, that is. Food was food, and if someone was hungry enough, they would eat almost anything, right?

       ‘Well, then let’s just hope he’s hungry.’ Hyunseung thought, leaning forward to push the other, not selected food items aside before lifting the can he needed, and crossing to the stove. When he was standing before said stove, he set the can aside – though only long enough to search for a pot of roughly the correct size. When he had found one, he slapped it onto one of the four burners, and moved to open the can.  And, nearly five minutes later (it only took so long because his can-opener decided to throw a temper tantrum, he would say), the can was open and its contents poured into the now warming pot; which left Hyunseung to stand, his metal ladle at the ready, and wait for the soup to finish cooking.

       Which thankfully, as Hyunseung would soon find himself thinking, didn’t take very long at all. For after only a short span of time (perhaps no longer than it had taken him to even open the can itself), the soup was bubbling, constantly spitting little tufts of steam, and ready to be served. At which point the brunette had to fumble about his kitchen, searching for at least one clean bowl to put the meal in, as well as a spoon for Junhyung’s use. But, after he had found a set to use, Hyunseung carefully ladled some of the pot’s contents into the bowl, and made his way back to the living room, trying his best to avoid spilling the burning contents on himself all the while.

       When he got there, he silently padded around to the front of the couch, his eyes flitting down to settle on Junhyung. The other had seemingly fallen asleep in their short time apart, his hair growing tousled from the way he was laying, and his lips barely parted. And, as he looked the male over, part of Hyunseung noted with a hint of disappointment, that his make-shift bandage was beginning to darken with blood. Not to mention the fact that there was a hint of feverish red beginning to take up residency in Junhyung’s cheeks— difficult as it might have been to see beneath the dark bruises—, they would have to tend to that later, while the other part of him mused on how Junhyung could even be comfortable, smashed against the back cushions as he was.

       Nevertheless, his food was ready, and Hyunseung had yet to meet someone who preferred their soup cold.

       So, setting the almost too-hot bowl and spoon on the ground beside him, the brunette reached out to gently shake the other’s shoulder, praying all the while that he didn’t jostle his wound too much with the action.

       “Yah,” Hyunseung breathed as Junhyung began to stir, his eyes cracking open just a fraction of an inch, “Wake up. I make you food, okay?”

       Junhyung groaned,shifting out from under Hyunseung’s touch as best he could.

       “I’m not hungry.” He grumbled, swatting half-heartedly at Hyunseung’s hand when the brunette’s expression shifted to a more amused one. “Leave me alone.”

       “Well that’s too bad,” Hyunseung retorted, laughing a little to himself as he spoke, “Because your food is done, and I have a bowl for you right here.”

       A pause, in which Junhyung chose to scoot farther away from the brunette, who’s expression was now twisting downwards into a very nice scowl.

       “Junhyung, stop acting like a grumpy four year-old, and sit up.” Hyunseung continued, latching a hand onto the other’s arm and giving a sharp pull.

       That was enough to make Junhyung open his eyes the rest of the way, shifting them within their sockets to glare over at Hyunseung. His eyebrows furled inwards, pinching so tightly together that, for a second or two, the brunette really began to wonder if they were actually going to touch, like a pair of magnets pulling each other closer.

       “I am not a four year-old.” He growled, seemingly having come to his senses. “And if I sit up, will you leave me alone?”

       To that, Hyunseung simply hefted a shrug, and watched rather worriedly as Junhyung began to sit up. Though, the other didn’t get very far before the effort seemed to drain him of his energy, forcing Hyunseung into action. He wasn’t able to do much, not with a bowl of steaming liquid in his left hand and all; but, with his right hand, he tried his best to aid the other in whatever way he could. A light tug on his arm here, a push on his back there.  

       After several minutes of alternating between the two motions, the pair eventually managed to move Junhyung—who by this point in time was panting from the sheer effort of it all— into a sitting position. When Hyunseung was certain he was settled, and not going to slump backwards again, he shoved the now cooling bowl into the other’s hands, dropping the spoon he had snatched into the broth simultaneously.

       “No,” the brunette replied at length, gently nudging the bowl— the motion shifting the broth dangerously close to the lip, threatening to spill over. “But you should eat anyway. I think it’d help.”

       To that Junhyung gave a snort, something like a child would make in disagreement to a parent’s statement. But, nevertheless, he lifted the spoon in his right hand and began shoveling little spoonful’s into his mouth. Though, on perhaps only the six or seventh “bite” he began to choke, pushing the bowl back into Hyunseung’s (thankfully) ready hands— who proceeded to drop it to the floor, not particularly caring about whether or not its contents spilt over the edge.

       The brunette brought his hands up, fingers twitching in anticipation as the choking fit steadily increased in severity. So much so, that before long, Junhyung had doubled over with the coughs, one hand slapping the bandage just beneath his collar-bone, and the other reaching for his throat. ‘God!’ Hyunseung thought, lurching into action, pushing Junhyung forward a little to pound at his back. He continued this action for a short while, just until the fit began to subside; at which point he stopped his pounding, moved to sit on the arm-rest, and shifted his action to a gentler pat.

       Only after his coughs had faded almost entirely did Hyunseung begin to lightly rub at the space between Junhyung’s shoulder blades with one hand, pressing the other into his forehead, frowning at the present heat. Unfortunately, Junhyung did not seem to appreciate the action nearly as much as Hyunseung could have hoped for, and began attempting to squirm out from under the brunette’s touch  (though not very successfully, mind you). He did, however, manage to slap Hyunseung’s hand away from his forehead, grumbling something unintelligible under his breath as he did so.

       Hyunseung bit his lip and lowered his hand, clenching it into a loose fist on his lap.

       This, he thought, nudging the abandoned soup bowl with his foot, was going to be a long day.

       A very long day indeed.