In the Streets

The Dying Silence

Holy.. I am so sorry for the delay guys~

I moved into my dorm last week, and it took me a while to get comfortable and such. But I finally have time to write again, so I should be able to update fairly often again~

Thanks to the new subscribers~

 


 

       “Jesus, Junhyung,” Hyunseung hissed, sending a disapproving glance over his shoulder at the other, “Can you at least try to look a little less like the Hunchback of Notre Dame when you walk? People are beginning to stare at us!”

       “I am trying. But you know, it’s a little difficult after you’ve had the beaten out of you.” Junhyung retorted, cursing under his breath when he tripped over an uneven patch of sidewalk.

       “Well, try harder.” Hyunseung continued, quickening his pace just a bit, “Or I’m going to leave you here.”

       Junhyung scowled, his nose wrinkling and upper lip curling backwards. Nevertheless, he did attempt to straighten himself; though not after casting said annoyed look at everyone in the general vicinity. If he had had the energy to, and hadn’t been pressed for time by a certain brunette, he most certainly would have snarled a “ off!” or “What are you looking at?” just for emphasis, before disappearing into the oncoming swarm of people.

       There was a time, for perhaps a total of three minutes in which Hyunseung got ahead of Junhyung, causing the two to become separated; something that Junhyung most definitely did not appreciate. It was hard enough, trying to keep up as the brunette weaved in and out of groups of people, sidestepping a dog here and a small child there; let alone trying to find the other after they got separated. Sure, brown wasn’t exactly the common hair color of the population – in fact, the more Junhyung thought about it, Hyunseung might have been the only person he knew that was a brunette— but that didn’t make it any easier to find him.

       However, before he could think to call out for the other, Junhyung felt fingers clench around his wrist, accompanied by a sharp tug. And, just a second later, he found himself stumbling into a compact store. He frowned, feeling more than a little confused, and stole a glance at the area around him; only to find Hyunseung standing in the nearest corner, a bemused expression set across his features.

       “What?” he seethed.

       “Oh nothing,” came Hyunseung’s response. He took a step forward. “Just pick some clothes, alright?”

       A pause.

       “And try to remember… Nothing too expensive.” the brunette added. “Please.”

       Junhyung nodded once in agreement. Right, with the whole financial situation being stuck between a rock and a hard place and all.  And with a funny little wave of his hand, the two of them set to work.

 


      

       By the time the two had finished purchasing their items and stepped back into the streets, the outside crowd had diminished quite noticeably. There were people still, yes, but not nearly enough to make their trek back to Hyunseung’s house a complex game of “dodge the civilian.” And, believe it or not, Junhyung found it to be nice, almost chancing a smile as they pushed their way out of the store, various bags in tow, and began to walk.

       He dared to take a swift glance over his shoulder, and was surprised to find that his eyes met the brunette’s own. The other was staring back, quite literally staring (he did that a lot, Junhyung thought) with a spark of curiosity in those dark chocolate irises. And, as odd as Junhyung found it, there was something about the other’s studious expression, the way his lips were pressed together, one cheek just barely puffed out, that made Junhyung think he looked, well… feminine. Delicate.

       “Something wrong?” he found himself asking before he could stop himself, nearly cringing when the brunette blinked, once, twice, three times as if to clear an invisible fog from his vision, his focus snapping into reality.

       For a second, he wasn’t sure if a repetition of the question was necessary, for Hyunseung made no signs of answering – or even having heard the question in the first place – other than having returned from his thoughts. But, as he let his mouth fall open, his tongue curling upwards as he readied himself to form the words, Hyunseung answered.

       Just a simple, “No, nothing.”

       To that, Junhyung pulled his mouth shut, having no honest idea on how he was supposed to respond. Nevertheless, he found himself breathing out an exasperated, “You’re really strange, you know that?”

       The brunette hefted a small shrug.

       “I could say the same about you?”

       Junhyung felt an eyebrow inch upwards; felt the left corner of his mouth give an irritated spasm.

       “Oh?”

       “Yeah,” Hyunseung continued. “You’re confusing. Like one of those annoying puzzles they used to give you as a kid. Where no matter how hard you tried, you just couldn’t figure it out. And so you started to act like you didn’t want to. But at the same time, deep down, you knew you did. Just for the satisfaction of knowing.”

       “I’m sorry but you lost me.” Junhyung replied, lifting his head to glance about them.

       “You just… Don’t really seem like the fighting type.” the brunette finished at length. “Not really, at least… I don’t get it—“

       As if on cue, Junhyung suddenly pushed the brunette aside, nearly causing the smaller male to drop each of the bags he was carrying. Hyunseung let out a cry of displeasure, though not before casting a nasty look over in Junhyung’s direction.

       “What the hell?” he complained, pushing off the nearest building’s wall to regain his balance. “What was that for—“

       “Can you just be quiet for a minute?” Junhyung ground out.

       That did it, Hyunseung thought, growing increasingly annoyed with each passing second. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

       “Will you just stop talking and don’t make yourself so—“

       There came a shout form somewhere in front of them, successfully interrupting Junhyung mid-speech with “Junhyung? Well I’ll be damned!”

       Obvious.” Junhyung finished under his breath, his skin crawling with recognition of the voice.

       They were so screwed, he thought, running his tongue across his suddenly dry lips. Unless he successfully managed to play it off like he hadn’t heard the other. His eyes widened at the thought of it. Yes, he supposed that was possible! Though, it would be difficult to get Hyunseung to play along…

       He shot a wary glance at the other, who was more than just a little confused, and raised his eyebrows a fraction of an inch, as if to say “Don’t you dare move.” He then nudged the other, forcing the brunette to stand behind him; it would probably be best if he wasn’t seen either.

       Junhyung had just managed to get Hyunseung behind him when he felt a hand on his shoulder, the fingers clenching and forcing him to turn halfway. When he had turned entirely, he felt his eyes narrowing to slits as they settled upon an all too familiar face.

       ‘Doojoon.’