Appa, we need to learn how to do it ourselves

Dealing with the love of one's life is so nerve-wracking

 

It's still ridiculously early in Chanyeol's opinion when he rolls out of his bed. Like, he literally rolls out, onto the floor. But it's early and he just hates alarms as they make him feel like he's not even conscious.

But Chanyeol knows that he has promised to, so he gets up from the floor. Then he takes like ten minutes to get himself ready. He knows as a fairly famous person he should care more about his appearance but he's not about to go and perform and it's early and it's Saturday and he adores Luhan so much, therefore he wants Luhan to adore him, too, even when he looks like he just got out of bed, which he did.

Chanyeol is already kind of delighted for Luhan to trust and rely on him so much that the older asked him to take care of the twins as their daddy needs to go to work early this day. Like, as in the P.E. teacher that is responsible for the school's football team and the tournament today. Which means Luhan needs to get to the school early, make the last meeting before the match, get the team to the place where the match is going to happen and have them warm up and various stuff like that. Chanyeol doesn't know the details, he never really cared much about P.E. back at school and he still kind of doesn't.

But since Luhan thought of him, so he wouldn't have to drag the twins with him so early and on a Saturday, Chanyeol will only be happy to be useful. Especially that he likes the twins a lot.

He smiles sleepily, as he gets into the car and turns on the radio. Too excited and distracted to even realize what he's listening to, he just drives and hums to stuff. Since it's early, the roads are a bit emptier than during the day and that makes it easier and quicker for Chanyeol to get to Luhan's house. And then a few more minutes and he's there, in front of the door.

Like usually, Chanyeol's hand raises up, so he can ring the bell, but then he remembers it's early and the twins are most likely sleeping. And Luhan asked him to be quiet and careful. Okay then.

Chanyeol considers knocking quietly, but he worries that either it'll be too quiet for Luhan to hear or too loud and will wake up the twins anyway. So he chooses to text Luhan.

As he's thinking hard what to write (he thinks he'll go for "I'm here~") and typing, the door suddenly opens in front of his face.

Chanyeol yelps quietly at that and makes a step backwards, looking at Luhan's cheerful face in shock.

"Saw your car outside," Luhan explains, taking Chanyeol's hand and dragging him inside.

"I was just..." is all the younger manages to say, pointing awkwardly at his cellphone. He's pretty sure he looks very silly right now.

"Okay." Luhan nods, as if he knows and gets it all. He probably does, Chanyeol thinks. "So, wake up the twins at nine. They might get up earlier by themselves, though. Make them wash up. They have their clothes prepared. They usually eat milk and cereal for breakfast. Turning the tv on is a bad idea, because they might get too distracted. Don't you get too distracted as well." Luhan counts every point with his fingers, not sure if he's forgotten something. It doesn't seem so, though. "Anyway, I want to see you three at the match at ten. You know where it is and how to get there, right?" He asks, putting his shoes on.

"Okay. Right. Yeah," Chanyeol answers after a moment, needing some time to figure out all those things. He nods again.

"Good." Luhan smiles and takes his bag. Then he steps closer to Chanyeol, puts his palm on the back of the taller's neck and lowers his head a bit, so he can kiss him. And Luhan does kiss Chanyeol, but as not innocent the kiss is, it's a quick one and even before Chanyeol can respond properly, Luhan is pulling away, grinning.

"Bye."

And then Luhan's gone and Chanyeol is left feeling all soft and dizzy.

It takes Chanyeol huge effort to take off his shoes without falling over, but then he finally does and with weak steps he reaches the couch only to throw himself at it. He spends a few moments mumbling nonsense into one of the pillows and turns around to lay on his back. And, well, Chanyeol is grinning hard and almost giggling and just so full of feels.

He's also glad he was smart enough to wash his teeth back at home.

Either way, he's feeling so ridiculously excited right now and not sleepy at all. Chanyeol is actually pretty sure that with all the emotions he's going through right now he won't be able to fall asleep for a few days at least.

Because, yeah, it might have been their first kiss. As in, it definitely was their first kiss.

They've had dates, of course, but the twins were always around. Even when Chanyeol stayed at Luhan's place longer, it was mainly to watch a movie, cuddle on the couch and just enjoy each other's company. There were lots of hugs and hand-holding and stuff, but...

But the kiss...

Chanyeol covers his mouth with the pillow, because he actually finds himself squealing.

The kiss was amazing.

Chanyeol grins happily, putting the pillow on his chest and hugs it.

Then he falls asleep.


*


When Chanyeol wakes up, it is to a feeling of endless happiness. He can't imagine himself any more relaxed and content.

Then he notices he's not at home. He's at Luhan's. He remembers why he's there. That he's supposed to wake up the twins at nine.

Panicking, Chanyeol falls off the couch, a mumble of "fuck!" accompanying every move.

Ignoring everything that hurts, Chanyeol keeps on panicking when he looks at the clock.

8:43

Chanyeol frowns.

That was so unnecessary, then. The panic. Well.

At least he's not late. And it could be a good idea to try to wake the twins up now. Luhan might be pretty good at getting them ready with his six years of experience, but Chanyeol thinks he might need the head start.

Therefore, after a short trip to the bathroom, Chanyeol heads to the twins' room.

He opens the door quietly and sneaks only his head inside, looking around. The sunshine from outside is blocked by colorful curtains, so the room seems pretty dark, but Chanyeol can easily see the beds and he knows who sleeps where.

He sneaks in, trying not to make any noise and going towards the curtains, which he pushes to the sides to make the light happen. And the light does happen.

The light doesn't get any reaction, though, therefore Chanyeol moves forward and then sits on the floor between the beds, glancing at how adorable the twins look while they're sleeping, like little angels. Fortunately, Chanyeol knows better, that the two can be little demons at times, too.

He spends a moment just looking at them, wondering how to wake them up, but then decides to go just the easy way and pokes their cheeks.

It seems to be working as Chanyeol sees their faces grimacing. He chuckles at that and it seems the chuckle isn't exactly a quiet one, because the twins' eyes start opening at that.

Baekhyun gasps at his sight and sits up; Kyungsoo's eyes open wide and he gapes at Chanyeol in surprise.

"Channie-appa?" Baekhyun murmurs sleepily, rubbing his eyes.

"Baek!" Kyungsoo seems to catch the other's mistake first, Chanyeol only following by looking at Baekhyun surprised.

"What?" The adult is pretty confused. And, well, there are quite a few of these happy, soft feels in his tummy at how he just got called and he's not sure what to think about this.

"I mean," Baekhyun keeps glancing between his brother and Chanyeol, having no idea how to explain that. Kyungsoo glances in fright at his twin back.

"We just sometimes like to call you that," Kyungsoo murmurs, hugging his cute giraffe plush and avoiding Chanyeol's eyes.

"When nobody's around," Baekhyun adds, cuddling into his adorable deer.

"Hyunnie... Soo..." Chanyeol whispers, blinking at the twins.

"We kind of hope you'll be our appa one day," Baekhyun continues.

"You make our daddy happy."

"And we love our daddy, so we want him happy."

"You make us happy, too."

"You care."

"You play with us."

"You watch cartoons with us."

"You look at daddy like he's the most beautiful person in the world."

"We want you to stay."

"We want you to be daddy's husband and our appa."

Through the whole thing Chanyeol just keeps glancing from one twin to another, blinking away very possible tears and feeling like he's never felt before.

When the two are done, he still doesn't say anything, too moved by the words, by how much he seems to mean for them, because, as he's realizing just now, because he's never wondered about this before, he just found it obvious, the twins mean a lot for him as well. And now they're too scared to even look at him, too shy and hoping he won't get mad or awkward because of what they just said. But how could he ever?

"Hug?" Chanyeol asks, voice cracking a bit, spreading his arms wide.

The twins looks at him in surprise at first and then they smile cheerfully, getting off their beds quickly and pretty much just jumping onto Chanyeol, who is getting the amazing double hug and he's just as happy to embrace them back.

They spend a few moments like this, the twins on Chanyeol's lap, everybody embracing and grinning to each other, when the twins pull away to look at Chanyeol's face.

"So," Kyungsoo starts, glancing at his twin.

"Can we call you appa?"

"Can you be our appa?"

"Will you stay with us?"

"And with daddy?"

Chanyeol grins even wider at that, because he thinks the answer should be pretty obvious.

"Of course. But we need to ask what daddy thinks about that, too," Chanyeol answers. It's mainly, because he wants an answer from Luhan first, what the older thinks about them. They've never really talked about being together for their whole lives, especially as it seems a little bit too early for that, but Chanyeol would very much love to know, whether Luhan really is that kind of into him (though, the kiss from before might prove that Luhan definitely might be) and if Luhan wants Chanyeol to stay, be with them and join the family. Because Chanyeol does want that.

"Daddy wants you to stay with us." Kyungsoo looks confused at the thought alone of Chanyeol not getting that.

"He likes you a lot. Very much a lot," Baekhyun explains.

"And if you like him that much, too, you should stay."

"And be daddy's husband and our appa."

Chanyeol smiles softly and kisses each twins' forehead.

"I really really really like your daddy. And I would be very very very happy to be your appa."

Cute yells and plush animals throwing follow, but Chanyeol doesn't mind at all, joining.


*


Soon Chanyeol is hurrying the twins up. It's soon 10am and they still have to get there. He has the car, yeah, but first they need to go out. And it doesn't seem like it's happening very soon, because the twins are stubborn about tying their own shoes. They're not the best at it.

So Chanyeol's just standing, leaning against the wall and watching the two, his eyes big.

"Can I help?" he asks once more. He doesn't even know how many times he's asked already.

"Appa, we need to learn how to do it ourselves," Kyungsoo answers again.

Chanyeol's heart softens again at the appa, holding the excited squeal inside, but they don't have time for that. He sighs.

"But daddy is waiting," Chanyeol whines, pouting.

"Just a moment. I've almost got it." Baekhyun says happily.

Chanyeol sighs again.

And then he sighs many more times, before the twins are done. They succeed, that's true, and he's proud, but it took quite a lot of time, which they didn't have that many of in the first place.

But finally they get into the car, Chanyeol kind of pleased, because it's still before the due time. He turns on the radio and the reactions are Baekhyun singing as loud as he can and Kyungsoo pouting and sighing and whining, because he's heard "Twinkle" too many times for it to be healthy and it's all Baekhyun's fault.

Chanyeol only chuckles, glancing at the twins in the rear-view mirrow.

The process continues for another two songs, which, for Kyungsoo's distress, turn out to be SNSD's songs as well.

When Chanyeol parks the car, Kyungsoo's little hands have undone the seatbelts already and the moment the car stops, the boy jumps out of the car, more than glad to be far from his brother's obsession.

Kyungsoo likes SNSD, of course, but having heard their songs on repeat daily since their latest comeback, which was when Baekhyun heard them for the first time, he is done. Kyungsoo is so out.


*


When Luhan sees it's almost 10am, he starts looking back towards the crowd gathering at the tribune. Chanyeol and the twins are still not where they were supposed to be and Luhan's starting to get a little nervous. He's used to having the twins with himself in such days or just pretty much always, besides the times when they're in the kindergarten, he's at work and the few times his friends managed to get him go out with them.

Maybe he should've woken up the twins in the morning? Maybe it's kind of too much to leave all the preparing and dealing with the twins in the morning to a person who hasn't done that before?

Luhan sighs. He looks at the clock and wonders whether he should call Chanyeol to find out how things are.

He's kind of zoning out, when he feels a poke to his side.

"What are you thinking, coach?"

Luhan glances to his right and sees Niel, one of his favorite students.

"I'm thinking of how my I-guess-boyfriend might have failed to tame my children. And they get pretty scary at times.

"The strategy," Luhan answers simply.

Niel snorts, which makes the older glare at him.

The boy doesn't say anything after that, so Luhan decides to ignore him. At first it goes splendidly, but then there's another poke and he turns to glare at Niel.

"Hyung's boyfriend is here," the boy says, grinning widely.

Luhan's eyes widen and he turns around, to look at where Chanyeol and the twins are supposed to be seated. And there they are and they notice him looking and all three wave happily.

"How did you- he's- Chanyeol-" Luhan sputters, hating how dumb he's sounding in front of his student right now.

"I didn't know the guy is hyung's boyfriend. But your reaction makes it pretty obvious," the boy explains, chuckling.

"Hyung's boyfriend?" Another student, Minsoo, sneaks his arm around Niel's waist, obviously eavesdropping.

"The one with Baekhyunnie and Kyungsoo." Niel points at Chanyeol, who only waves at the two boys.

Minsoo and Niel wave back.

"Who?" Two other boys, Changhyun and Jonghyun, look over there, too, joining the waving.

"Luhan-hyung's boyfriend. It's why he hasn't brought the twins with him in the morning," Niel explains and the man only gasps at the (correct) reasoning.

"Oh, finally!" Changhyun claps happily and Jonghyun nods in approval.

"You've got pretty good taste, hyung," Minsoo says and gets hit in the arm by Niel.

"Stop staring like that at hyung's boyfriend," the younger says, glaring a bit.

"What, is this that time of the month?" Minsoo smirks, chuckling at how funny he thinks he is being, while Changhyun and Jonghyung facepalm at how dumb their hyung is as he should've known better by now.

"Yes, this is that time of the month when you're not getting any," Niel decides.

"What?" Minsoo gasps, starting to panic. It's not what he was going for.

"Stop," Luhan says loudly, not wanting to know anything at all about his students' sex life. He'd rather believe they have none, such a thing doesn't exist, nope.

Minsoo only glances at Luhan, blinking, as if he wants his coach to save him. But Luhan only looks away, because it's so not his bussiness.


*


When the break between the two halfs of the match happens, Luhan gathers all of his players and keeps them for a minute or two, analyzing the first fourty five minutes quickly. He knows he needs to hurry up, because the boys are mainly focused on sitting for a moment or going to the bathroom or drinking anything.

Therefore, Luhan lets them go pretty quickly. And it's just that moment when his two little cute creatures run into him.

"Daddy!" the twins yell, grinning happily.

Luhan squats down and hugs the two, having missed them terribly.

"Did you make troubles to Chanyeol in the morning?" he asks.

"Nope," Baekhyun answers and Kyungsoo shakes his head as a 'no'.

"We were good," the younger twin adds.

Luhan nods in approval and then hesitates.

"Where is Chanyeol?"

"When we saw you, we kind of left appa behind," Kyungsoo says awkwardly, scratching the back of his head. Baekhyun looks a bit guilty as well.

Luhan gets up, looking at the crowd and trying to find Chanyeol somewhere between people. It takes him a moment, but he finally does. And he doesn't like it, when he does, because it seems like some woman, dressed in the sluttiest clothes he's ever seen, is chatting Chanyeol up.

Luhan snorts in annoyance, observing the scene and how the younger keeps smiling kindly at the woman. He sees him glancing at his watch and saying something. Then the woman speaks again and Chanyeol just looks confused, but still nice. It goes like this for a minute more, but finally Chanyeol leaves her and starts walking towards Luhan and the twins.

Luhan isn't sure how to react. Like, there's not really a reason for him to be angry or jealous, especially as Chanyeol hasn't done anything for him to be. He was nice to the woman, right. But Luhan guesses it's probably not enough.

"Hey." Chanyeol grins, his eyes shining with happiness, when he reaches Luhan.

"Hi," Luhan answers, feeling torn at how to act now. "What did she want?"

"Huh?" Chanyeol looks at the older in question, needing a moment to understand the sudden question. "Oh, that lady? She asked what hour it was," he answers.

Luhan frowns a little, because Chanyeol looks like there's nothing wrong with the question. Like there isn't a big and very visible clock on the wall, a few meters away from they were standing. Like he didn't notice she was trying to hit on him.

"Her shirt was ugly," Luhan adds, curious about Chanyeol's reaction.

He chuckles when he sees Chanyeol's confusion, the younger guy having no idea what shirt Luhan's talking about, having paid no attention to it and not noticed that the shirt made the woman's boobs be almost out of it.

Chanyeol blinks at Luhan a few times, not understanding why the older is laughing. He glances at the twins and it seems like they share the confusion.

The three observe Luhan for a moment, especially curious when the laugh slowly starts turning into his own confusion.

"Appa?" Luhan says finally and looks at the twins, who make big eyes in panic. He glances at Chanyeol who's blinking at him again, pretending innocence, but this time Luhan's not buying it.

The twins stare at each other and make faces, trying to make the other explain it. But in the end Baekhyun can't stand it anymore.

"We want appa to be our appa. And to call him appa," he explains shyly.

"Appa will be your husband one day and it means appa will be appa, too," Kyungsoo adds.

"Because appa makes daddy happy and daddy loves appa a lot," Baekhyun continues and Luhan kind of blushes at that, wondering why the twins don't have the ability to just shut up. He glances at the stupid grin at Chanyeol's face.

"And appa said he loves daddy a lot, too."

Luhan snorts, not minding the not shutting up anymore as he glances at Chanyeol again and sees the guy looking away, his cheeks reddening slightly.

Luhan chuckles.

"So can we?" Baekhyun and Kyungsoo look up at their daddy, puppy eyes and pouts on.

Luhan can only nod and then watch his children cheering and yelling in happiness. He glances at Chanyeol, who's grinning at him.

Luhan feels like everything is coming to place, finally.

"Kyungsoo! Baekhyun! Hyung! Hyung's boyfriend!" he hears his annoying students approaching.

Luhan grimaces.


*


Tao walks into the cafe, limping a bit.

He's tired, he looks terrible and tired, his hair looks like he hasn't done it since last week and he's still wondering what he's doing at the place, is he trying to screw over his chance with Sehun, coming here looking like this.

But Tao has been stressed at work lately, so he used the fact that it's Saturday and spent a few hours since the morning doing wushu. It succeeded at relaxing him, indeed, but it made him look all tired and sweaty. And to fully get rid of the stress, he needs the cake and Sehun's smile as well.

Tao observes Sehun walking over to him, and as he notices the hesitation in his waiter's step, he sighs.

"The usual?" Sehun asks, his voice cracking at the end.

"Yeah," Tao answers and only now realizes his voice sounds pretty low at the moment.

Sehun's eyes widen a little.

"Are you okay, Tao-sshi?" he questions carefully.

Tao only nods, so Sehun quickly walks away. Tao observes him and curses inwardly. It seems like he somehow put Sehun off.

It takes only a few moments for Sehun come back with Tao's order and for his waiter to excuse himself hurriedly.

Tao sighs again and feels like hitting the wall with his head. He's so dumb. Sehun must think of him as distusting or repelling right now.

"Woah~" The annoying waiter, whose name Tao now knows as Jongdae, whistles quietly, coming over to Tao's table, and sits down.

Tao only glares at him, too tired and depressed by the love of his life not liking him anymore.

"If you don't ask Sehun out today, I'll be very disappointed in you, little dongsaeng," Jongdae continues.

Tao frowns in confusion. He doesn't even care why the guy assumed Tao is younger, but what is he talking about.

"What?" Tao finally asks eloquently.

Jongdae snorts.

"Dude, you look hot. Like, even hotter than you usually do," he explains with exasperation at how dumb Tao is being. "All that bad boy that just got done with very not innocent activities aura works for you."

Tao only blinks, not really getting that. Jongdae rolls his eyes.

"You're unbelievable." He sighs. "You look like you just had sex. Hard. Hot." Jongdae goes for an easier approach.

Tao starts shaking his head and waving his hands in panic, hoping he really doesn't look like that. He doesn't want anybody to think that, especially Sehun.

"I didn't! I-"

"Yeah, I know. You've been mooning over your little prince for the last few weeks so much that I don't think you're able to notice anybody else even exists," Jongdae comments, kind of hoping it will calm the other down.

Tao hesitates. The waiter is right, but he's not sure if he should agree or deny.

"What I meant is you look sexy. Do you understand?"

Tao thinks for a moment and finally nods. Though he still isn't sure about that.

"So today is the day you'll get your bratty prince. Do you understand?" Jongdae continues.

Tao frowns.

Jongdae sighs. He can't with this guy.

"Sehun has been staring at you for some time already, too. He's just more subtle about that than you are. Which isn't really a praise, to be quite honest." Jongdae shakes his head at how dumb dongsaengs he's got. "He's staring quite harder today. Because you look hot."

Tao blinks again. He's feeling pretty excited by the thought of the love of his life maybe being interested in him too and finding him attractive and, if what Jongdae is saying is right, thinking he looks sexy today.

Tao's never had problems with his self-esteem and finding himself to be hot before. And he still doesn't. But Sehun somehow makes everything different, makes Tao feel a bit insecure and want to try hard.

So still doubting in Jongdae's words a little, Tao glances at Sehun. He actually catches him looking and quickly turning his head away. Except, Tao saw the way Sehun was looking and it was something far away from "ew!". So maybe Jongdae knows what he's talking about. At least this time.

So maybe Tao will try to ask Sehun out today.

"Thanks," Tao says to Jongdae, still not taking his eyes off Sehun and catching his waiter trying to look at him pretty often. "Now go not to woo the manager."

Jongdae gasps at that and runs away, not wanting to talk about it. Tao glances at the guy and chuckles, because he can be even more obvious about his crush on the manager dude than Tao and Sehun are.

Therefore Tao keeps on eating cake and drinking his coffee, most of the time watching Sehun. Only most of the time, because he doesn't really want to creep the guy out. But he wants to look anyway.

He's done with his piece of cake pretty soon and proceeds to clean the little spoon with his tongue. Sehun notices that and he stumbles over nothing.

Tao's waiter disappears for a few moments and when he's back, he seems all fresher and he's breathing deeply and coming over to Tao's table.

Therefore it's Tao's turn to panic. He might've been all cool from a distance, but in the end the closer Sehun comes, the more awkward Tao feels.

"Would you like something more, Tao-sshi?" Sehun asks, his voice kind of cracking again at Tao's name.

In Tao's mind, there's chaos. He has no idea what to say and how. Like, he knows he should probably somehow say he's fine, that's all and ask Sehun out. Except, the somehow is the key word, because Tao has no idea whatsoever.

So he opens his mouth, hoping something reasonable will come out.

"Your number," is what Tao says.

Dammit.

"What?" Sehun seems a bit surprised by that.

Tao coughs a little and decides to go with what he said. He doubts Sehun didn't hear or understand, so it's not like he can lie now.

"Your number. I'd like it. If it's okay with you," Tao mumbles out somehow, looking around, too shy to look Sehun in the eyes.

But Sehun doesn't answer. Instead, Tao sees a hand appearing in front of his face.

He looks up and stares at Sehun, confused. And then he gets more confused, because his waiter is smiling.

"I need your phone to type in my number, right?" Sehun explains and grins.

Tao gasps in surprise and takes a few moments to remember where he put his phone. Then he remembers it's laying on the table.

So he gives the cellphone to Sehun and watches him unblock the phone.

Sehun frowns. And glances at Tao.

Tao glances back, confused.

Sehun stares at his phone for a few moments and only then he starts typing stuff in, Tao still wondering what is wrong. He doesn't have Sehun's picture as the background. He doesn't have anything creepy or questionable as the background either. He's pretty sure it's just a cake. He doesn't remember any weird contacts or other insane stuff on his phone.

But by then Sehun is done and gives the cellphone back to Tao, grinning.

"I'll be waiting," Sehun says, taking the empty plate and cup and walks away.

Tao watches Sehun, not able to stop the smile.

Things are really working out, Tao thinks happily, walking out of the cafe.

He glances at the phone he's holding in his hand and thinks for a moment. He unblocks it and finally understands Sehun's confusion: he has the language set to Mandarin. No wonder the guy hesitated.

But Tao remembers Sehun typing things in, so he looks at his contacts and at the very beginning there's ✿Sehunnie✿, written in English letters.

Tao giggles at how adorable the love of his life is. He doesn't stop giggling for the whole way back home as he keeps on glancing at the cellphone, not even caring about people's weirded out looks.

 

*