Little Merman 4

Little Merman

 

Jonghyun's POV

 

“Key, as much as I wish it did...that's not going to change my mind.” Key whimpers at my words and I let his arms wrap around my neck in a desperate hold. I can't help but smile at how attached we suddenly both seem.

 

“Jonghyun, do you want to see me again?” He whispers and I sigh, making his grip tighten. “I didn't ask if you can, or if you will. I ask if you wanted to? Would you ever want to see me again, if you could?” My heart tightens at his pleading words and I his hair, while he buries his face in my neck.

 

“In a heartbeat, Key. I want to see you again, I swear I do...but the danger is very real and if I'm too late, even one time-” My words are cut off by his fingers pressing to my lips.

 

“Jonghyun, do you know how I became a mermaid?” My head at his words, confused by the news that he was once human. “You're surprised.” He giggles and I smile at the sound, and his fingers fall from my mouth. “You see, I was very fond of the ocean as a child. So much, in fact, that my uncle offered me the opportunity of a lifetime. He was a fisherman, a smart one at that, and knew all about the dangers the sea offered, but he invited me along to swim with the sharks, my favorite sea creature at the time. Of course it was all safe, cage, scuba suit, all of that nonsense but when we got to the reef my uncle had us stop for a quick break. He wanted to fish...for more than shrimp, if you understand.” I nod at his words, anxious for him to get to the strange transformation he'd mentioned...because if he had been changed, then perhaps there was a chance for us. I'd give up my humanity for Key, in a heartbeat, without question. This boy had been my life for a decade, and it tore me apart to let him go. How Key? Tell me how?

 

“To his surprise even, we caught one. She was as lovely and deadly as any of us and when my uncle went to...well attack her, she ended up biting him, getting a head start on her later meal, I assume. But like I said, my uncle was smart and able to escape before anything too damning happened and he suddenly tossed my a knife, waiting expectantly for me to attack the creature from behind. I was only a child, 8 at the time, but an obedient one none the less and with the mermaid's attention elsewhere, I dug the knife into her with all of my strength, draining the life out of the beautiful creature within seconds. I shook and cried and fell apart on that boat, horror struck by my actions but my uncle was proud and held me through my tears, reassuring me that without my help he'd have been dragged to his death. I accepted his words but the look in his eyes was strange. Not as scared or regretful as a man that begged his young nephew to murder another being should look, and it all became very obvious what he had planned when the transformation began.” My brow and Key chuckles darkly before continuing.

 

“You see Jonghyun, if you kill a mermaid, you become one yourself. It's something like karma, you hunted the creatures and now you've become the thing you chased and are hounded by men, just like you once were. Now nothing more than a fictional creature that you family will never hear from again. But mermaids are still make believe to most sailors...those who have actually gotten what they wanted are probably being caught themselves.” My face falls, horrified at his solemn words and I hold him more tightly. “So all you have to do is kill a mermaid and you'll-” His words cut off with a hiccup and I shake my head at his offer.

 

“I can't, Key. I won't.” I groan at my own confession and he slackens in my grip, disheartened by my words.

 

“There's a story.” He finally whispers against my skin and I narrow my eyes. “If you drink the blood of a mermaid...it has the same effect. I've only heard of it once, it was rumored when...Baekhyun was found by a strange boy that knew far too much about us and when he caught Baekhyun, he terrified the boy by slicing his skin open and drinking the boy's blood. And in the next minute he set the boy back in the ocean as if he hadn't done some weird vampire . Baekhyun hangs out with him now, it seems that the guy has been obsessed with us since he saw his father do something similar as a child and he ended up finding Baekhyun to apologize...or so they say. I don't know the boys.” Key fiddles with his fingers, suddenly refusing to look at me.

 

“And you think...that I should drink your blood...in hopes of becoming a mermaid.” Key suddenly flushes as if he hadn't just suggested it and I narrow my eyes in confusion.

 

“It's just...a rumor, Jonghyun.” He squeaks, making me want to hug comfort him.

 

“Key, I really don't think-”

 

“Just do it!” He shout, his voice cracking in middle and I stare at his lowered eyes. “Just try. I...don't want to lose you.” He whispers making my heart pause. We're both still for a solid minute before he heaves loudly and tears a metallic pink scale from his own tale, taking the jagged looking shell and raking it across his skin. I wince, matching his own expression and watch as the red scar grows, marring his perfect pale skin. “I can't promise it'll taste good. And I don't know how much you're supposed to take...but you have to try, Jonghyun. You have to.” He mumbles, staring at his own mark with tears suddenly running down his face. I stop them half way down his face with a kisses to his cheeks before taking his sliced arm softly in my palm and holding it to my mouth. He nods softly when I stare back at him and my tongue presses to the cut, lapping up the salty liquid.

 

Mostly the idea is what bothered me. The taste was barely bothersome, as it wasn't much different then getting a paper cut and having no better option then shoving the digit into your mouth in hopes of not letting the blood dirty anything. I kept the thought in my head as I stared into Key's reassuring eyes, up whatever the cut poured out. It wasn't deep but I sat there forcing whatever I could down my throat for another minute or so before the cut had little to offer and I sat back, lowering my eyes but Key, lifted my face and pressed his lips to mine, smiling as he pulled away.

 

“I'm really happy, Jonghyun.” He hiccups and I notice the tears still falling and I wrap him in my arms.

 

“Nothing's happened, Love.” I chuckle, and he buries his head in my shoulder.

 

“But you want me. You actually-” I stop him with a kiss of my own, smiling at his reddened, tear stained face.

 

“More than my humanity, Key.” I breath with a smile.

 

After that we waited. And waited. We waited for what seemed like hours and it was maddening as the silence surrounded us aside from the waves that crashed against the boat, rhythmically.

 

“It's not working.” Key whispered and I pull him closer.

 

“Are you giving up so quickly?” I attempt to sound light hearted but Key just stares up at me.

 

“It took me less than an hour too change.” He mumbles. “Maybe you didn't take enough! We'll just-” I place my hand over his stopping his self mutilation silently.

 

“Wait.” I breath and Key's lip begins to quiver.

 

“If it doesn't work-” I tense but he doesn't finish his sentence.

 

“Then I'll still want you.” I confess because that's all I an offer, that no matter if I'm with him for the rest of my life, or for the next 15 minutes...I'll still want him more than anything.

 

Key was practically unconscious next to me after another few hours of waiting and I sigh at the circumstances we seemed to be in.

 

“The blood was wrong.” A deep voice breaks the silence and my eyes snap to a boy hanging off of my boat, smirking at me, seemingly amused. “I probably should have mentioned earlier...but I was curious if that would work.” The boy hums and my eyes narrow. “The blood in his arms won't work, it's too clean. The blood closer to his heart will change you. Try his shoulder, that's what I did.” He grins, and I sneer at the way his eye twitches.

 

“I told you not to bother them, Chanyeol!” A smaller voice shrieks and a pretty boy is suddenly beside the brunette boy.

 

“But they're in love.” The first boy, Chanyeol, whines and I stare wide eyed at the name.

 

“You're the boys from the rumors.” Chanyeol nods happily and Key shuffles at my words, staring up at me with a small smile.

 

“I knew it was possible.” Key hums and I pet his blond hair down with a chuckle.

 

“How long are you gonna make him wait?” The other boy hums, all of the sudden forgiving Chanyeol for spilling the secret. I can't hide my smile when Key pets my face in silent agreement.

 

“Yeah...how long, Jonghyun?” He mumbles, taking the scale still sitting between his fingertips and he brings it to his neck but I hold his hand still, relocating my lovers hand to his shoulder like Chanyeol had suggested. I wouldn't have his perfect skin marred in one of my favorite spots. I smile when he chuckles at my behavior and drags the scale across his skin again, barely hissing before he's done and the cute is bleeding again. I don't hesitate this time, leaning in to at the blood oozing from the injury. It was stronger than the first time. By far more bitter and thick and...well unpleasant but I forced it down my throat hearing Key whimper at the feeling but after a few moments of the dark red blood being swallowed it lost it's potent edge and I let it wash over me, feeling my heart race and my breathing pick up. I pull away from the wound, staring narrow eyed at Key and he stares back before I turn to the boys at the edge of the boat.

 

“It's starting.” Chanyeol nods and I sigh, leaning back to take a deep breath and letting my body give in. It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be...not at first but I soon broke out in a cold sweat, feeling nauseous and my breathing became ragged, worrying Key when I began to slip in and out of consciousness.

 

“Stay with me, Jjong. If you even think about not waking up-” He cuts himself off when I smile sleepily.

 

“I'm still here, Love. Just tired. I'll fight it.” I promise, reaching out to pet his cheek again. “It's starting to hurt though.” I groan and Key, brushes my bangs aside, kissing my forehead like a mother would a child.

 

“Then it's working. Deep breaths, babe.” He hums and I nod softly. The pain lessens slightly when I obey but the burning spreads and fades to a numbing tingle in my limbs.

 

“How long will it take?” I wiggle uncomfortably and Key giggles.

 

“A little longer, Jjong. I promise, it'll be worth it.” I smile at is words, pulling him in to press our lips together but in the next second my heart clenches and my stomach jumps, causing another cold sweat to break across my skin and Key shushes me when I flinch but everything fades and I find myself unable to keep my promise, of staying awake, to Key.

 

~~

 

“You .” I wake up to Key's soft whisper, he sighs contently when I pet his head and he buries his face in my hair.

 

“Sorry.” I apologize, sleepily, wiggling closer to the blond but my legs don't agree, making Key giggle softly.

 

“You'll get used to it.” He nods to my waist and I avert my eyes to the silver tale now sitting in place of my legs.

 

“While I was asleep?” I mumble the question and Key nods softly, placing his hand over the scales.

 

“I think the color suits you.” He smiles and I furrow my brows, staring down at the new limb once again.

 

“Is it over?” I hum and Key leans in to take my face in his hands and pressing his lips to mine.

 

“Hardly, don't fool yourself, Jonghyun. You'll be chased. You're one of the damned. You'll probably live off of old men that want to you and you hardly want to avoid it because it's food.” He shrugs and I sneer in discontent.

 

“It's not that bad.” I turn to see Chanyeol and Baekhyun still hanging off the boat. “It's mostly instinct but...focus on who you changed for.” Chanyeol smiles, wiggling his brows before turning the the tiny blond beside him. Baekhyun pouts at his words, gaining a peck on the lips in answer before flushing and dipping back into the water from embarrassment.

 

“You don't sound happy that I changed.” I hum turning back to Key when the boys disappear.

 

“It's just...that there's a price.” He mumbles and I smile.

 

“But you're my prize.” I grin cheekily gaining a reluctant giggle from my beautiful merman.

 

So, I'm back and this is the end. I'm not gonna write about there lives as mermaids unless I'm really inspired haha sorry for the long wait and weird end but I finished and I really hope you guys liked it! I had to throw the Baekyeol in there...lol I ship them so hard. Lol Jongkey still got me hooked though so please subscribe, comment, and upvote. Read my other stories too, this one wasn't great but I'm really proud of some others. Haha anyways byebye I love youuuuu