Little Merman 3

Little Merman

 

Jonghyun's POV
 

I was a bit early arriving at the reef, so sue me. I was a tad over excited to see Key again because it was another chance to win his heart, so I'd meet him here day after day, sunset after sunset to assure my place in his heart but darkness soon arrived and I was confused. He had told me to be here before sunset so why would he wait until dark to arrive, it makes me nervous and upset. I had wanted to see him so badly, I wanted to sing for him and kiss him and love him, poor my heart out to the beautiful, lovable Key but he hasn't bothered to show up.

 

I was frustrated and disheartened as I sailed back to shore. It wasn't late but I missed a good part of my day and other fishermen had docked for the night by now, which was why it surprised my when my friend's ship, “The Lady” was still bustling with crew men.

 

I boarded the ship, curiosity getting the best of me after docking my own. An old friend of mine greets me with a wide grin, insisting that I come see their catch.

 

My breath caught when I saw Key chained to the floor like some sort of slave. I instantly regret every choice I made the night before, how could I have agreed to allow him so close to shore. There are, by far, more fishermen at the reef, especially at that time of day and I knew it had been my fault for him being in that far. I ignore my clenching heart until my eyes land on his and he brightens fractionally, or maybe it was my imagination but I offer a sad smile before my friend tugs my face in his direction.

 

“Don't look it in the eyes, you idiot! Don't you know a thing about mermaids? They're nasty creatures that drag people like us to the bottom of the ocean to be ripped apart and feed their insatiable apatite. Looking it in the eyes is a death wish, they can seduce you with a single glance and have you do their bidding with a mere touch, it's incredibly dark but I'm sure some lab would pay billions to have a look at it's brain.” I still at his words and offer a side glance at the weak boy spread over the floor boards.

 

“So you plan to sell him to science?” I grind my teeth, attempting to sound unaffected.

 

“Yeah, after we have a bit of fun with them. It's stunning, isn't it? I've never been so close to one but I'm sure it'd be interesting.”

 

“Or torturous.” I finish, gaining a curious glance from the excited man. “Who knows what he's capable of in such a delicate situation. I wouldn't chance something so dangerous.” I attempt to waver his intentions and he sighs in thought.

 

“You're smarter than you look Jonghyun. We'll need to be a bit more careful than some chains and a blindfold I suppose.” I swallow dryly at his words, ignoring the fact they're directed at the boy I love. “I sent most everyone home already. The less time I have to stick around to make sure it's taken care of the better.” I don't answer but the old captain's eyes brighten when he looks toward me. “How would you like a go at it, Jonghyun? You haven't had a girlfriend in some time. I'm sure it'd be a hell of an experience. You'd know how to handle it.” My breathing gets stiff as I lock eyes with him and he suddenly looks terribly pleased with himself. “You've always been a curious boy. Infatuated with the sea aren't you? Can't get much closer.” He attempts to convince me but somehow I recognize his offer as nothing more than becoming a sacrificial test subject. Could I come out of this alive, he wonders. I hum in, would be, thought and grin at the man.

 

“I have a condition.” I confess and the captain's brow perks. “I want to be alone.” He pauses for a few solid second, his breathing even and eyes suspicious but it passes and a boisterous laugh escapes him.

 

“Always the romantic, eh Jonghyun.” He continues to chuckle as I shrug. “Alright, you have a deal. You have ten minutes.”

 

“Fifteen.” I offer, making him frown. “I'm a man with a struggling sea creature as my conquest, hardly an easy feat, captain.” I smile charmingly.

 

“Fifteen.” He answers curtly with a smile tugging at his lips before exiting the windowless room.

 

I fall to my knees in front of Key not a moment later and fight sobs at the thought of the captain possibly on the other side of the door.

 

“Key, my beautiful Key. Please tell me they haven't hurt you. Tell me I'm not too late.” He's all smiles by this point and tears fill his eyes, making guilt spring into my heart once again.

 

“I keep trying to tell myself that you're just a pretty face, but you're becoming my knight.” He confesses and I wrap my arms around him.

 

“I should have never agreed to letting you so close to shore. I didn't think of the risk. I'm so sorry.” I plea for forgiveness but Key only my face lovingly.

 

“I was early. Too excited, I suppose. You bring out the human in me, Jonghyun.” He flushes and I press my lips to his, making the words stop. His arms wrapped around me easily but I pulled away and breathed into his ear a hope to help him escape.

 

“He's probably just outside but I'm sure there aren't many of them.” He nods in slight understanding but struggles against the chains and I move to releasing the beautiful boy. The captain seemed well informed but ill equip as the lock broke too easily and I manage to scoop him into my arms. In the next second the old captain returns with more restraints in his hands and I freeze.

 

“I knew you had a soft spot for the thing, pulling something stupid like this is right up your ally.” He cuts with a sarcastic smirk. He looks ready to fight but I stand like a statue, unsure what my next step should be but Key manages to attack, forcing much needed eye contact and the man is a lost cause, chaining himself to the same spot Key had been victim but this wouldn't buy us much time.

 

We saw no men left on the ship but were still cautious when approaching my own. Key seemed weak but insisted on boarding my ship along side me. I headed strait for the familiar waters and when we were far enough out I took an honest look at Key. He looks horribly tired if I'm honest. His familiar glow is dimming and it worries me but we were back into the rough waters in a short while and I lift him into my arms to bring him to the deck. His fingers grip onto my collar and I smile softly at him, pressing my lips to his.

 

“You're safe again, Key.” I promise but the boy shakes his head lazily.

 

“You're leaving.” He whispers and I sigh knowing there isn't another choice. This beautiful mystical creature might have somehow found feelings for me but we could never share the same world. One where either him or I is the prey and the other the predator. We could never love properly and as time goes on it will only become more dangerous. No, it has to be now. I have to leave and not come back, not be drawn into the black hole that is Key's perfection.

 

“I am.” I mumble back and Key grips more tightly.

 

“Jonghyun, I want to see you again.” He flushes bright red and I smile absently to myself because Key wants to see me again.

 

“You know as well as I that no matter how hard we try, this isn't going to work. We're doomed if we stay together and I can't be the cause of you getting hurt, Key. Don't you see how terrified I was back there? How badly I wished it was me in your place.” I groan in defeat.

 

“Nothing happened!” He snaps, kissing me roughly and looking into my eyes, causing my ranting emotions to fade and I'm perfectly calm. I close my hands over his on my cheek and smile softly.

 

“Key, you can't do this forever.” I whisper and Key suddenly begins to cry.

 

“Why do you want to leave me?” He chokes on sobs and my breath catches.

 

“Key, I don't want to leave, I have to.” I beg but the tears don't stop. “You don't honestly see a future for us, do you? It'll only hurt more, the deeper we get involved.” His face goes hard, tears still staining his face as he glares.

 

“Give me one reason I shouldn't end you, like the rest of your crew right now.” He threatens and I sigh, petting his cheek thoughtfully to smooth away the fake anger.

 

“You won't.” I smile numbly and he hiccups, bringing tears again, making me wrap him in my arms.

 

“I don't want you to leave.” He chokes and I pull him even closer.

 

“I love you, Key. Stay well.” I beg as I back away. His eyes lock with mine again and I step in to kiss him once more unwillingly.

 

“I love you, Jonghyun.”

 

This was a stupid update. I'm decently unhappy with it but I'll be honest. I've lost motivation for this plot. It's too deep, with too many questions and too few answers. Please forgive whatever ludicrous form of a happy ending I offer in the final chapter because I'm so ready to be done with mermaids. But it's all because I'm starting a new BaekYeol. Maybe you guys will like it? I'm so excited to write it! Here's the link-->http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/546759/that-voice-romance-baekyeol Subscribe if you like? I'll see you guys soon with the final update. Forgive this mess. >.<