XII: Try

To Fix You

"Right in front of you,

right in front of me." 

 

 
Mir's back. He's back. Or at least, for now. For now, but that's all that matters. He's back for a second, he's barely peeping out of his shell, but he's back. He's crying, and I don't know why. But I hug him back anyway, because this is the first time he's actually seeked human touch, first time he's gone to someone willingly. I don't know what caused this, this sudden change, but I somehow know that this lucid moment for Mir wouldn't last long. So I cling to it, I cling to him as he sags in my grip. I close my eyes, and I feel his tears drip onto my shoulder but I don't mind, I don't mind. 
 
And when Mir doesn't make any move to let go, I don't, and we stand in silence in this house, this house on the blue, blue sea, that I think the afternoon sun must be setting by now. And then, a gasp, quiet but so audible in the silence, cuts through the air, and I open my eyes, and I see Joon. I see Joon in the doorway, his hands empty, his clothes plain, but his eyes so, so sad. So dark, so full of grief that I know he took Mir's disappearance and Mir's appearance so, so hard. And something else. Jealousy. Jealousy, and a hint of anger in his sad eyes. Mir looks up, too, and turns from me to Joon, and his old eyes widen, and his hands drop to his sides. I'm facing towards Joon, not Mir, but I see the slump of Mir's skinny shoulders, and I see the electric fury in Joon's eyes, his eyes, and his face. He's angry, and he's sad, and when he's sad he doesn't know what he saying, what he does. Joon is a bomb, a bomb that will be triggeed by the slightest touch, and Mir is a flower a foot away. Mir is delicate, and Joon knows that. Joon knows that, but he doesn't know what he does, and he only regrets it, he only thinks about what he says or what he does after the damage is done, when the bomb has already been tapped. 
 
And just like before, just like before when he exploded, I wince, I can't do anything, I prepare myself for the hurt that will fly from Joon to Mir, to Mir with his skinny, slumping shoulders and old, pained eyes, and scars, and empty face, the blank face. Mir. But Joon does something else; he steps back. His face doesn't go smooth, it doesn't go empty like Mir's would; it is still angry, it is still sad, it is still jealous of something. But he steps back, he thinks, he gives Mir a look of something that I can't distinguish, sadness maybe. Grieving. Because he is. Grieving. But he steps back, and he leaves. He turns, and he walks out of view. Mir watches him go, and as he turns, I glimpse his face. It is smooth, it is empty, but his eyes are sad and old and glittering with tears held in. 
 
I want to do something, anything, as the leader. But I don't know what happened, but apparently Mir des and Joon does and no one else does, no one else. Mir turns to me, finally, and meets my eyes. I can't hold his for long, and I drop my eyes, embarrassed. And when I dare to lift them again, Mir has looked away, and his smooth face is creased, and he is watched the doorway where Joon appeared and disappeared with his heavy eyes, but no one is there. But he watches as if he expects something to be there, something. But there's nothing, and as I watch him and he watches the empty doorway, no one appears. 
 
 
 
~~~
 
 
 
Joon left, he left as quickly as he came. I wish he would come back, I wish he would tell me what made his eyes go black and what made his shoulders sat like that. I wish he would come back and tell me what made his mouth curve down, and I wish he would come back and tell me what made his eyes swim with sadness. But he doesn't come back, and as I watch the doorway, waiting, waiting, he doesn't come back. What did I do? I don't know what I did. But my eomma, my eomma, my eomma is still in my mind and I believe Seungho has helped her stay in my ripped, torn mind, and for that I am thankful.
 
And I don't know why I want Joon to come back, because of all of them in his house next to the sea, he has hurt me the most. He is so unpredictable, so unsteady, so like me in a way now that I know that it wouldn't do good for him to come back. But I want him to come back.
 
Should I go after him? Is that what he's expecting me to do? Because I can't, Joon. You know I can't. You know I was four months there, and no one would come out whole. You know I'm cut, you know I'm bleeding, you know I'm hurting, inside and out. You know  my mind is twists and turns right now, and you know all I want is to feel normal, to feel safe, to feel like I am alive. You know I am trying. 
 
I hope you know I am trying to fight this. I hope you know that I am trying to come back, to be me again. I hope you know how hard this is for me. I hope you have seen, at least a glimpse, of the demons inside my mind, inside my soul. I hope a glimpse of them will tell you what your sad eyes want to know, about me. But at the same time I don't, I don't want you to see my demons because I don't want you to be damaged. I don't want you to hurt, and I am trying to help you not hurt. I am trying to help you, if you can see it, and I hope you realize that all you've dealt to me in return is pain.
 
Pain.
 
 
 
And since I don't know, I don't know what to do, I will wait, and I will choose to stay my feet, to keep my heart beating slowly, quietly, peacefully.
 
 
 
~~~
 
 
 
Mir just stands there, and after a while I realize I need to do something. I need to do something about Joon, unsteady, unreliable, Joon whose emotions and jealousy and sadness are not helping Mir, not helping any one of us. So I start towards the doorway, my mind strangly calm. Joon needs to hear this. He needs to pull himself together. 
 
But just as I step out of the kitchen, into the hallway where Joon appeared and disappeared, I feel a light hand on my shoulder, and I whirl around, knowing that Joon is not brave enough to walk up to me. In front of me is Byunghee, his big eyes soft, and I somehow know he knows what happened, and he knows something I don't. 
 
"Don't," he says, quietly enough that Mir, in the other room, can't hear him but it is still above a whisper. 
 
"Why not?" I whisper, and I'm suprised to hear my voice challenging and angry; I didn't mean to sound like that to Byunghee, who has done nothing to me. But he only looks back at me steadily with those chocolate brown eyes and that only makes me feel worse, it only makes me feel younger, even though he's the dongsaeng here. 
 
"This isn't your problem," he begins, and when I open my mouth to protest, he puts up a hand, signaling me to wait. "This is between Mir and Joon. Let them handle it." 
 
"But Mir clearly can't handle it!" I feel my voice rising again and I switch back to whispering, my frustration growing with every word, every true word, that comes out of Byunghee's mouth.
 
"Leave it alone, Seungho," Byunghee tells me, but I'm the leader, I should be able to solve things. This shouldn't be left up to Joon, an unsteady, jealous, emotional person and Mir, who has just been through hell. As if he can tell what I'm thinking, Byunghee speaks again. 
 
"They are both stronger than you think, Seungho. They need to do this." He leans closer, now. "Please, Seungho," he says, and I can feel my defenses loosening, unlocking, and I don't know why. 
 
"Please let them do this," he says, and then he turns, and leaves, but not before pressing something into my palm. 
 
When I am alone in the hall, I uncurl my fingers, and hold it to the light. An American nickel, sliver and thick and ridged, gleaming softly in the light.
 
 
 
It was our second year as MBLAQ, as a family, when Byunghee came up to me. His face was ashen, and in his hands he clutched a small box, tightly wrapped with green and a silver bow. He looked nervous, so nervous, that I was worried immediately. 
I was in my room in the dorm. It was night, the stars just beginning to show in the black, and it had been two months since Byunghee had lost his eomma to cancer. 
 
He always had this look to him, this look of sadness that I sometimes see in his eyes now. But when he came into my room with that little box, he looked as if he was about to burst into tears. But he didn't, and instead he set the box down as if it was a bomb, his movements careful and stiff. 
 
"My eomma's," was the first thing that came out of his mouth that night, and I understood immediately the look in his face. But he wasn't finished, as he sat next to the box on the bed. "My eomma addressed this to me." 
 
He wanted to open it, I could tell, but I could tell he was scared, scared of what might be inside. His eomma hadn't left anything. No notes, no letters, no nothing. So this, this box to Byunghee, means the world to him. 
 
He took a breath, and then turned to me, and I don't remember him looking so scared in his life. "I'm going to open it," he said, and then he did. He tore the wrapping paper so delicately, took off the bow instead of untying it, and there was a kind of ritual like way of his movements. Because this was the first gift his eomma had left him, and it will most likely be the last. I sat there, not speaking, not making a sound, because I sensed Byunghee wanted to do this alone, but he couldn't bare to do it alone so he had came to me.
 
He slid off the top, and looked inside, and drew a whoosh of suprised breath. And then he reached in, and I could feel my heart beating, beating, with worry for what he might find, and he lifted out, delicately, first a light green silk pouch, and then a note, folded and crisp. As he did, I heard the jangle of coins, and I could tell Byunghee did to. 
 
Carefully, as if he was lifting a baby, he teased open the pouch and spilled the contents onto my bed. Out came four coins, all of different sizes, and as I looked closer, I recognized them as American.
 
Byunghee through the coins, a crease to his brow, and then, slowly, his foot tapping rapidly, he opened the card. He read it once, I could see his eyes skimming over the words. I saw him read them again. And then he turned the card toward me, so I could read it. 
 
 
Give a penny to someone who needs to know what love is
 
Give a nickel to someone who needs to understand love
 
Give a dime to someone who needs love
 
Give a quarter to someone you love 
 
 
Live well, Byunghee, my son. 
Live well
I will always love you
 
 
 

And then Byunghee, with the note in his palm and the coins trickling through his fingers, closed his eyes, and cried. 

 

 

And then I, with a nickel, shiny but not new, maybe realized what love needs to be realized. 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

IT'S GO'S BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! So I decided to update:) 

 

And I really didn't intend for this to be a JoonMir fanfic..... Or really anything.... But turns out I can't write anything without making it . Okay then. I hope you don't mind ... 

And I promise, it won't be a huge part of this. I promise.