Mask Of Happiness

Lifetime Happiness

AMBER’s POV

 

Today, I asked Ailee-noona to go to the mall with me. My parents will arrive two days from now and there are only one week left from that day before Krystal’s birthday. We enter from one store to another and we really got a hard time looking for the ‘Princess’ perfect gift.

 

“Do you know someone we can ask what she really likes for her birthday?” Ailee-noona asked me when we had our lunch in one restaurant.

 

“Well, I have Sulli’s number.” I answered her.

 

“To make our life easy, why don’t you call her.” She stated.

 

“But Krystal will possibly find out what am I going to give to her if I ask one of her friends.” I retorted.

 

“Just ask indirectly, not being obvious.” She replied with a smirk.

 

“I’ll try.” I replied and sighed.

 

I dialed Sulli’s phone number. It rings for three times before she picks up. She is really a hyper girl because she sounds so happy and energetic over the phone. I followed what Noona told me but unfortunately, Sulli doesn’t seem to know what Krystal wants for her birthday too.

 

“I guess I’m not lucky today.” I mumbled and let out a deep sigh.

 

“Well, you and Krystal are really close before you should at least know what she likes and doesn’t like.” Noona spoke.

 

“She likes tiara, crowns, princess costumes, stuff toys, doll house and dolls before. That’s all I know.” I stated which made Noona laugh.

 

“Well, that sounds Soojung alright.”she remarked and I scoffed.

 

“Noona, just pick a random item, like bag, jewelries or other grown up ladies like.” I told her.

 

“Well, maybe something that would last forever will do.” Noona said to me with a smile.

 

At the end of the day, we finally choose what it seems to be the perfect gift for Krystal. I bought a necklace for her. I don’t know if she will wear it but I know it will last long not unless she is going to lost it. I invited Noona to have dinner with me and she agreed. After we had our fun dinner, I took her home then bid my goodbyes to her.

 

“I think she’s not yet home.” I mumbled when I entered inside the house.

 

It is filled with silence that you can even hear the tick of the clock. I head upstairs and put the item that I bought in my drawer for safekeeping. I hit the shower before I lie on my bed. I have been staring on the ceiling, zoning out.

 

“How am I going to tell my parents about what I had decided?” I mumbled to myself.

 

I got up and face the mirror. I decided to practice on my speech. I practiced what I am going to say to my parents over and over again. I need to say the right words so that it will somehow make them understand why I come up with this decision. Days passed and tomorrow, I will fetch my parents and sister at the airport.

 

“You’re parents will arrive tomorrow, right?” Krystal asked while we are having dinner.

 

“Yeah.” I answered shortly.

 

“Are you going to fetch them up tomorrow?”she asked again and I nodded my head in response. “I will come with you!” she added happily.

 

“Okay.” I answered and grinned. I glanced on her hand to check if she’s wearing the ring that I gave her but her ring finger is empty.

 

“Ahm, I will wear the ring tomorrow.” She said with awkwardness in her voice and awkward smile.

 

“You may not wear it tomorrow. It’s okay.” I told her with a faint smile and it made her looked at me.

 

“But your parents might suspect something between us.” She said as she looked away.

 

“That will be good. At least, they won’t get shock once I will tell them that I will call off our engagement. It will give them an idea of what is really going to happen.” I explained to her.

 

“Fine then.” She replied with annoyance in her voice.

 

“If you want, you can wear your real engagement ring. I bet they did not remember how the ring that I gave you looks like.” I said to her but she did not bother to answer.

 

The next morning, we head to the airport to fetch my parents. She did wear the ring that I gave her and I admit that it made me feel happy. We greeted my parents and sister politely when we met in the airport. We drive into my parents’ house where they will be staying. Krystal hang-out with my parents while I hang out with my sister. We are watching them talking in our living room from the dining room.

 

“Are you excited about your wedding day?” Jackie-asked me with a teasing smile on her face. I just shrugged my shoulder in response and fake a laugh.

 

“When is Dad going to tell the Jung about what he had in mind?” I asked her.

 

“Probably tomorrow.” Jackie replied shortly.

 

“I thought wedding preparation will take months.” I mumbled.

 

“Well, money makes it possible to be ready less than a weak.” Jackie answered and giggled.

 

“Sometimes, I hate that we are wealthy.” I said in annoyance.

 

“All the people in the world goal in life are to become rich. You are lucky to be born in rich family so you should be thankful instead of complaining.” She spoke and lightly pushed my forehead with her forefinger.

 

“Aish!” I hissed as I glared at her but she just laugh on me.

 

“I’m happy for you, Am.” She told me with a sincere smile. “I hope you and Krystal will be happy together forever.” She continued and hearing her words made me feel guilty.

 

I curved a faint smile and avoided her eyes. I can’t look straight into her eyes neither lied on her face about it at this time. I shifted my gaze on Krystal and she is happily chatting with my parents. I have to play the bad guy in order to keep that happiness flashing on her face for the rest of her life.

 

“Am, what’s wrong?” Jackie asked me with a concerned tone of her voice.

 

“What’s up with that question, Jack?” I replied to her and scoffed. I met her concerned eyes while looking at me.

 

“Why are you looking at her with sadness and pain in your eyes?”she questioned me which caught me off guard.

 

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” I said to her jokingly and laugh. “You’re being weird today.” I continued and I walked away from her and join my parents and Krystal in the living room putting on a mask of happy expression on my face.

 

I have to wear this mask of happiness until tomorrow.