Hearts on Tables

Class VS Crass

“Come on, you can at least look like you’re enjoying yourself.” Alfie mumbles, Noah is off socializing, Alfie tried to talk to some other people, but I grabbed him before he could run off. “Maude, they’re not going to lynch you.”

“They all say that before you’re running for their lives.” I mutter under my breath. “Besides if you leave me then I might be forced to actually meet people.” I say, shuttering for effect.

Alfie rolls his eyes, guiding me to a group of people to talk with. “You know, when we start working, going to practice and stuff, what exactly are you going to do?”

“Sleep.” I answer easily. “I miss it dearly.” I mutter as some tramp starts talking to Alfie, I take my cue and back off. That’s the last thing I need, some trying to say I’m moving in on her ‘territory’.

I wonder around the place, apparently this is someone’s house, well put together. I glance at the pictures and the books on the shelves before I feel someone tap me. “Hey, I’m Jay.” The tacky tattoo guy from earlier says smiling at me. “We didn’t actually get introduced when you pointed me in the direction of your friends.”

“And away from me.” I say dryly, I feel a shove; I glance and see Noah giving me look. “Noah, if you have something to say, go ahead.” I say shrugging his arm away from my back.

“Maude, here, gets a bit crabby if she doesn’t get her full 48 hours of sleep.” Noah jokes, I glance at him before I nod my head along.

“Right, sorry.” I say turning to Jay. “I’m Maude Maddox” I say realizing the situation. Jay nods his head like we’re crazy. “Yeah, I’m not exactly a people person. Noah and Alfie are always saving me from my social faux pas.” I explain to Jay while shrugging my shoulders.

Jay nods his head while smiling awkwardly, he has that cross of interested and turned-off expression; most people have the same look when they first talk to me. “Anyways I’m going to go grab a beer.” I say waving to Jay and then Noah.

After grabbing a beer bottle from the kitchen I watch as Noah talks uneasily to Jay, probably about my social-gaffe. Shrugging my shoulders I head out to the terrace, pushing the door aside easily I glance at the patio set. Pulling a chair out, I look around in the dark.

I rub my fingers along the edge of the table, the groves dancing along the length of the table. The smooth texture of the cool metal calms me somewhat. I’m out of my element, silently I curse Noah and Alfie for bringing me, I’m sure they knew this would happen too. I suddenly feel a scratch on the table, surprised I pull my phone up and highlight the area of the table; a rough carving is embedded on the side of the table, I trace it with my fingers carefully. ‘J + L’ the letters are encased in a messy heart. For a moment I stare at it before I pull my hand away.

Now I may be slow when it comes to conventional social rules, but even I know I’ve stumbled upon something intimate and private. Bringing my hands to hold my beer I glance back out at the buildings that tower around. Even if there isn’t anyone around I still feel awkward about stumbling upon this.

I hear the door slide open and then see a figure slump out.

Said figure turns towards me and jumps slightly. “I didn’t think anyone would be out here.” Jay says walking over and sitting across from me.

“I’m not good with people.” I say immediately, he chuckles, I figure it’s because of whatever Noah said. “I mean, I rather not see Noah and Alfie get hit on by girls.” I say frowning. “Or you know, be around a lot of people.” I say slowly losing my train of thought. “It’s nice out.” Again Jay laughs, and I’ll admit it. I’m a bit peeved. “What did Noah say?” I demand while crossing my arms over my chest.

“Just that you’d be honest and then try to cover up what you said with something less rude, and then end it with something awkward.” He says while taking a sip of his own beverage. “I didn’t get to thank you yet.”

“So do it already.” I say while rolling my shoulders around. “It’s not like they wouldn’t have made a move on you.” I say, my fingers grazed over the letters again.

“Thank-you Maude.” Jay says, his tone suggest a smug look on his face. “I’m curious, if Noah and Alfie dance, what do you do?” He asks changing the subject suddenly.

“This and that” I say while picking the bottle up. “I’m a writing major so I write normally.” I say finally. “If I get paid, I’ll write just about anything. So basically anything at all.”

“Sounds sketchy.” He says suddenly. “So if you got asked to write about me would you?” He asks while downing what appears to be the last of his drink.

“Nope” I state seconds later, I don’t have to even think about it. Jay sits forward and tilts his head. “I don’t enjoy writing celebrity gossip. Besides, most twelve-year-olds can come up with that trash on their own. Blame it on some idol or whatever they don’t like and suddenly everyone is trashing them for being a regular human being.” I say in disgust.

I can’t make out his face, but he doesn’t really look upset, then again when was the last time I was able to read-body language correctly. “Anything else you don’t like to write about?”

I nod my head; of course there are other things. “I don’t look doom and gloom stories, war, politics, crap like that.” I say as my fingers continue to trace the letters and the heart, every time I do this Jay seems to stiffen.

“Then what do you write about, it sounds like you’ve crossed off just about everything.”

I smirk, tilting my head I shake it, my hear brushes against my arms. “Reviews, movies, books, music, covering events, I’ll do the occasional doom and gloom piece, but really, isn’t the world depressing enough?”

Jay gets up and sits next to me, almost nervously. “You found the carving…” He mumbles looking down at my hand, the one going over the letters over and over. “I forgot about it…”

I look up at Jay and frown. “Liar” I say while pulling my hand away. “You’ve been eyeing this spot.”

“Really, couldn’t let me have that?” Jay snipes, I suddenly remember why he’s tacky tattoo guy and why exactly I didn’t want to come to some party.

Getting up I grab my beer bottle and push the chair in. “Obviously you’re trying and not doing too good at it.” I state as I walk towards the door. “But I think you should get over whatever it is, because it is gone, the ship set sail, otherwise you’d be with that ‘L’ person and not sulking.” Opening the door I leave Jay where he was, toss my bottle in the trash and wave to Alfie as I slip out.

They’re definitely going to give me an earful when they find out, more than just walking out, but for snapping at Jay. I quickly walk the corridors until I’m a safe distance from the building.

Part of me wonders if I’ve always been this bad with people or if I’ve always been like this. For a while I try to think of an instance when I wasn’t so tactless, then again my professors praised me for it, my ability to write about things both with passion and without being bias.

It is obviously time to get some sleep, I don’t feel like dealing with crap and so I quickly turn around and head towards the apartment.

Slipping in I strip my clothes on my way to my room, grabbing a t-shirt I cross the hall to the bathroom to freshen up before calling it a day. Running back to my room feeling infinitely better I dive into my bed, the cool fabric relaxing me even more and lulling me sleep quickly.

 

~~~

 

I watch Maude make a quick exit, instead of an indifferent look on her face like she normally sports, she looks angry, genuinely and truly pissed. Moments later Jay walks back into the room with a grimace on his face, the guy we overheard at the café starts talking to him.

“That’s Minho, right?” Noah asks appearing by my side, I nod my head. “Think that upset face has to do with Maude?” He asks in a voice that says he already thinks so.

“She left angry.” I comment off-handedly. “It showed on her face.” I say glancing at my best friend, Noah mirrors my surprise that I’d had when I saw her.

“How rare” he murmurs, Noah glances at Jay again before sighing heavily. “I think we should go home and check on Maude.”

I agree; walking over to Jay and Minho we thank them for the opportunity and for the dinner. Catching a cab to our apartment we share with Maude, as we enter I share an uneasy look with Noah. She just stripped as soon as she was in, she must be angry.

“Well, can’t say we’ve seen her this mad in a while.” I mutter picking up her overalls, Noah picks her shirt and socks up. “Do you see her bra?”

“In the hall, she must have been pissed.” He confirms picking it up, we set the clothes down in her room, Maude is curled up in bed looking peaceful and much happier than she’d looked at the dinner.

Closing the door I shake my head and go to my room while Noah heads to the kitchen. “Practice tomorrow morning.” He calls to remind me, I nod my head and slump into my bed.


 

Alfie and Noah are straight, at least in my mind. XD
I'm glad you guys are excited, I hope this gives you all
that happy ending for Jay feeling, well eventually at least.
^^~