er For Soccer

er For Soccer

(08/08/13-11:14pm - 08/09/13- 1:18am)

 

 

[Mi Young]

 

"C'mon! You promised!"

 

Luhan half-yelled, half-whined at me, completing his protest with a lip-pout and a foot-stomp. I glanced around the hallway to check if anyone saw the embarrassing act the ace player and the pride of our school's soccer team just did, relieve that no one witnessed it, because no one was there. Everybody left ten minutes ago.. well, everybody except us.

 

"I don't wanna be your personal laughingstock again, so I am not going to play with you," I huffed, and then I added in a teasing voice, "Hanamichi Sakuragi." I then tiptoed so I can pat his red head before stuffing my books from my lockers to my backpack. Ugh, too many assignments. Bye-bye, weekend hangouts.

 

He scowled, "I'm not Sakuragi! Three reasons: 1) my hair is not naturally red, because 2) I dyed it only due tothat stupid dare last summer, and 3) I'M NOT A BASKETBALL PLAYER! I'm a soccer player, Myeong. How many times do I have to tell you this?"

 

"Whatever. That's just the same, you still play ball."

 

"Nope. That's completely different because-- UGH! Just go with me!"

 

"How many times do I have to tell you this?" I mimicked him. "You'll just make fun of me when I try to play."

 

"I won't! Just stay with me while I practice for at least an hour. Please, Hwang Mi Young! Please!" he put his hand together and pouted some more.

 

'Stop doing that! I might kiss you!' my inner self--who has a big crush (to put it lightly. But seriously it's more than just a crush) on Luhan--started yelling at him.

 

"You're just-put-on-a-puppy-look-and-she'll-agree-with-you-for-sure face is not going to work with me, Luhan," I said as I closed and locked my locker to face him, "besides, you're not a puppy like Baekhyun. You're a deer." I walked away from his almost defeated expression.

 

"Yah!" he screamed as he followed me, and then, calming down, he put his arm around me--my inner-self surely struggled not to melt and chanted her mantra: 'I'm used to this' 'I'm used to this' 'I'm used to this' several times--and in a soft voice he always uses when he is trying to persuade me into something, he said, "Myeong, help me with this one. Please. I need you. You're not my best friend for nothing."

 

I huffed before glaring at him, "Sehun. He's your best friend."

 

He hold his point finger up, "tsk tsk. Nope. Sehun is my best pal. Miyoung is my best friend."

 

"Might I inform you that the word pal is synonymous to the word friend?"

 

He patted me twice on the head, "I believe you just did, Ms. Hwang. You deserve to be the top student of our year," he smiled slyly as he ruffle my hair, and then his tone got whiny again, "but seriously! You got my point, didn't you? Just go with me on the field!"

 

I sighed. There's no point in arguing with this boy. I will give in anyway, so why not sooner rather than later? "Fine. Just an hour, okay? I have tons of home works."

 

"Tch. I have, too. We're classmates, remember? You're so grade-conscious," he teased, his grin so wide as he pulled me by the hand out of the building to the soccer field.

 

"An hour," I said firmly.

 

He smiled widely, "yes, ma'am."

 

 

 

When we reached the side of the field, we dumped our bags on one of the nearby benches. I sat there as I watched him changed from his school shoes to his soccer shoes.

 

"I can't believe you'll let me play soccer with my uniform on," I said, trying to be as whiny as he is this time. One shouldn't play soccer if she's on miniskirt, dress shirt, coat and tie! I thank goodness for my knee-high socks, though.

 

He looked up and gave me a smile before turning back to tying his shoelaces, "it's okay. You won't be playing anyway. Unless.."

 

"Unless what?"

 

"Unless nothing."

 

I rolled my eyes, then I remembered something, "hey, Han.."

 

"Hm?"

 

I hesitated for a millisecond, "how was.. how's the girl you're crushing on?"

 

He finished tying up the laces before standing up and facing me, "she's good. Still looking more and more beautiful everyday in my eyes."

 

Ouch. That stung for the hundredth time. "And she still doesn't know."

 

He shook his head, "she still doesn't know."

 

"I see,"

 

"I wonder how I should tell her. D'you have any idea, Myeong?" he asked. He gestured me to follow him on the field. The way down is a bit steep, and Luhan held out his free hand for me so I won't slide down and I gratefully took it, while his soccer ball is tucked under his other arm.

 

"Maybe.. you should just tell her straight. I'm sure she likes you, too, what with you being popular and all," I answered casuallyas we continue walking down hand-to-hand, pretending to be unaffected like I always do ever since he told me he likes someone.

 

"I doubt that. She doesn't see me that way."

 

"Who is she anyway?" I asked, barely hiding the bitterness in my voice. He's been talking about his crush for too long, during freshmen year and now we're in junior year, but he never mentioned or showed her to me. He would always say the same thing:

 

"You'll know her soon."

 

We finally reached the middle of the field, near the goal, and that's the time when I let go of his hand. My inner-self is in the state of near-combustion because of the holding hands.

 

Luhan put the ball down and step on it, rolling it back and forth with his right foot.

 

"I've always wanted to teach her soccer. Because I know she doesn't know how to play," he said as I fixed my eyes on his. He seemed to be doing the same. 'Good Lord, those doe-like eyes!' exclaimed my inner-self

 

"So why not bring her here instead of me?"

 

He smiled, looking down and kicking the ball towards me, "I already brought her here before. She hated it. She says she never liked soccer," and then he chuckled.

 

"I'm starting to like this girl," I muttered when he run slowly to catch up with the ball he kicked which is now in front of me, closing in the space between us.

 

He looked up again, and my inner-self was startled at how close we are right now, although I managed to maintain an unaffected expression.

 

"I'll teach you how to play," he said cheerfully.

 

I frowned, "I at this. You of all people should know that."

 

"Yeah, you at this. But I'm a er for this and I can surely teach you not to at my favorite sport."

 

I rolled my eyes. "I hate soccer, Han. Or any kind of sports."

 

"Reading as a hobby won't make your body fit, Myeong," he argued. He has a point, but I don't have to buy it. And then just when I was about to retort, a flash of lightning was seen over the horizon followed by a boomof thunder, which made me glare at Luhan.

 

"It's going to rain. Let's go home."

 

"But I haven't even started yet."

 

I sighed as he kicked the ball, making it soar straight into the net. I smiled at him and held a thumb updespite myself.

 

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, was a goal," he announced, bowing afterwards.

 

"Tch. Aren't we a little boastful, mister? No one's blocking you. It was all too easy."

 

He cocked his head sideways and smirked at me, "huh. Easy, you say? Now why don't you block my kicks this time, missy?"

 

"You know I can't."

 

"Why not block me in every possible way you can? We don't have to follow soccer rules. Just this time. What do you say?" he taunted.

 

I gave it a thought. Hm. Why not?

 

"Challenge accepted," and then I ran to him, stopping him from running near the goal. But of course he made an easy turn and then kicked the ball away from us, running towards it afterwards.

 

"Yah!" I ran so I can block him again, making him laugh out loud, and making my inner-self smilefrom ear to ear upon hearing his laughter, which is music to her--and my--ears.

 

"Run faster!" he shouted.

 

"Try running with short skirt, you jerk!"

 

He laughed again, "don't worry! I'm not peeking at you! As if I'm gonna see anything there!"

 

"You idiot.."

 

He reached the ball, only to kick it away from him again.

 

See? This is one of the many reasons why I hate soccer. You run after the ball, and then kick it away once you reached it. How stupid can this sport be?

 

When I reached him, I made sure my arms are widespread so I can block him better. When he tried turning to the left, I grabbed his shirt and pulled him back, making him stumble a bit, and I can't help but giggle. His expression was like 'what the hell?' when I did that. Maybe pulling your opponent's clothes is against the rules, but what do I know?

 

"Was that illegal?" I asked him.

 

He grinned while he nodded, "very." It made both of us laugh, and that's when I felt the drizzle before I saw it.

 

"It's drizzling, Han."

 

"It's okay. It's best to play soccer under the rain. Besides, I always wanted a scene under the rain with my crush."

 

Before I can even ask him about it, he already ran again towards the ball, and then he kicked it making it enter the goal once again.

 

"You're not doing your job properly, Miyoung. You're supposed to keep me from goaling," he teased and then he added as if to chide me,"and stop eyesmiling!"

 

His eyes are twinkling as he holdthe ball between his hands and running back to where I am. "Let's do it again."

 

I nodded, determined to block him in any way possible.

 

"Ready?" he asked, and then he put the ball down the trimmed grass and started kicking it gently towards me as I spread my arms sideward again, running backward as he pushed the ball slowly forward. I heard another thunderclap.

 

He then moved faster, kicking the ball a little to the side and getting pass me, so I have to run to regain my place in front of him. He smiled as I stand in front of him again, blocking his way to the goal.

 

"Myeong, how do you think will my crush reacts if I tell her I like her?" he asked as he bounced the ball on his knee.

 

I--not just my inner-self--felt a twist in my heart. That kinda hurt, but I shrugged anyway,"I have no idea."

 

"I want to tell her. I don't think I can keep this feeling any longer. You think she will go?" he stopped bouncing the ball and letting it fall to the ground, he just looked over my shoulder, his eyes looking a little far away.

 

I'm confused. "Go? Go where?

 

"I hope she won't go," he murmured, not hearing me, I guess. He looked at me, straight into my eyes. His hair is already soaked from the drizzle, so as his face, making him even more handsome than he is before. And then he said, "don't go."

 

I was stunned, so I stepped back. I don't even know how I tripped and fell backward.

 

No. Not completely fell. I was fully aware that Luhan quickly moved forward to catch me with his arms wrapping around my back, his eyes wide and his look a bit shocked. But I was also fully aware that we are both falling. And so we did fall on the ground, me underneath him.

 

The rain--not any more a drizzle--poured on usand it quickly soaked both of us. I wasn't able to move, not even so much as close my eyes, and so is Luhan.

 

We both fell. Rain poured. I stared at him, he stared at me. I wanted to ask him if his arms are okay, if he is okay, but no words would come out of my mouth. Nobody moved. Cliché, I know. But I like it. I don't mind this at all.

 

And then it happened, the most cliché part of this cliché scene.

 

Luhan closed his eyes, and he kissed me.

 

His lips are soft and wet from the rain. It was a simple kiss, not the one you usually see in the movies wherein the actors are in a hurry or something. No. This is a simple--although a bit long--smack. Not that I am complaining. I'm too frozenfor that. And also add the fact that this is my first kiss. With my first love.

 

When he moved away, his eyes are twinkling again. I'm pretty sure mine are, too.

 

"First kiss in the rain with my first love," he whispered, and then he pulled me up and we both finally managed to stand. God, did he just read my mind?

 

I have to hold onto his shoulders to support myself, what with my shaky knees and all.I'm also conscious of his hands on my waist, and that was when my mind finished processing his sentence and finally letting me react.

 

"W-hat?" I whispered back.

 

His fingers tucked a few loose strands of hair behind my ear before looking at me and say, "I always wanted to teach you soccer. And also, I always wanted to have a scene in the rain with you."

 

"I .."don't know what to say.

 

"Can't you see, Miyoung?it's you," he said, hisvoice earnest, "it's always been you. I always have my eyes on you. You always have my attention. But you keep on ignoring that. I wanted to tell you this for a long time, but I'm afraid that if I do, you'll go away.. Away from me. For you, I'm always just Luhan, you're best friend."

 

My inner-self snorted loudly. And so did I.

 

"Luhan, I--"

 

"Can we be more than best friends, Myeong? Because to be honest, I don't want you as my best friend. My best friend is Sehun--"

 

"Ouch," I said sarcastically, even managing to roll my eyes.

 

He chuckled, and then he my cheek with the back of his hand, cupping the side of my neck after,"yeah, sorry. He's really my best friend. I don't want you to be that. I want you in a different way," that made me swallow thickly. And then in a serious voice and face, Luhan sincerely said, "I want you as my girlfriend."

 

Maybe I'm crying, or maybe not, I can't tell because of the rain. This is too overwhelming. But I'm pretty sure that my heart is about to burst with happiness. Oh God, am I really hearing this from him? Please say yes!

 

"Miyoung? Are you rejecting me? You're not answering," Luhan said in a worried tone, his doe eyes worried as well.

 

"Silly deer," I said as I hugged him tightly while smiling.

 

He hugged me back and whispered, "I love you."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yes, as much as I love soccer."

 

"What if I say I love you, too?"

 

He pulled away from my hug, his grin so wide it made his cheeks so prominent, "then I have to kiss you again. And it will be my second kiss with my first love."

 

I smiled, "I love you, too."

 

Sure enough, he kissed me again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**End**