The Present

Smile Mask Syndrome

How adorable, I thought as I walked into my apartment elevator. Junhyung that little guy, squeezing out all his pride and courage to apologize.. I pressed the 11th floor button of the elevator and started to hum. As I got to my apartment room, I realized that the door wasn't locked. I swore though, I locked it before I left for work.. I quickly opened the door.

 

"..H.. Hyu.. Hyunseung..?"

 

That cold stare. That expressionless face.

 

"Hey hyung"

 

That sharp voice that pierces through my heart.

 

"You look a bit cheery today.. I'm glad"

"Hyunseung.."

 

I started to tremble. That cold stare,, Those eyes that can examine right through me.. His everything, gave me shivers through my back. Hyungseung grabbed my by the shoulder. I closed my eyes. No use, I could feel that he's still reading right through me. Look at me, the cold voice whispered into my ear. Hyung, look at me. His voice started to become more forceful and strong. His hands moved from my shoulders to my cheeks. His actions were becoming more violent. I opened my eyes as he started to shake my head.

 

"Hyung, look at me and smile.. Smile hyung"

 

I said, smile! He screeched. Tears were now running down my face. I looked up towards Hyunseung. I forced my trembling mouth to smile, The violent hands patted my head gently. He smiled as he whispered into my ear, good job hyung.

 

"Hyunseung.. How were you.. Are you doing fine? You became more skinnier Hyunseng.."

 

Stupid Yang Yoseob. Although I was shaking with fear, I started to worry about Hyunseung. Hyunseung looked at me with a disgusted face. Like as if I was a piece of trash that belong nowhere. I tried to not shake anymore, but his expressions, words, and actions were piercing through me, making me ache and fear even more. Hyunseung.. Are you doing fine..? Please say yes, I was worried about you..

 

"Cut the bull! You?! Worry about me?! Why in the world would you do that? Cut your fake bull! Stop smiling dammit!"

 

This was closer to the Hyunseung I was close with before. Telling me to do something and telling me to do something totally opposite after. I stopped trembling. He was no longer the Hyunseung I feared few minutes ago. This was my Hyunseung. Someone so valuable to me. Someone whom called me mom, and I responded back with baby.

 

"Damn you! Damn you and your stupid smile!"

 

Hyunseung pushed me back and quickly left the apartment. I dropped to the floor. I pulled my knees and rested my head on it, and started to smile. Because that was something that I could do the best. Pull my together and smile. Smile like nothing ever happened. Smile like I wasn't hurt. Smile, and forget everything that bothered me.

 

It was another sleepless night. When I looked up, the dark sky started to become a beautiful hue of bright indigo. I took a shower, and brewed a strong cup of Americano as I got ready for work. When I was done getting ready, the sky cleared up to be a breathtaking shade of sky blue. As I stepped out of the apartment, I hoped that I wouldn't become too tired, and walked towards the cafe, where I may belong.

 

"Good morning hyung! You're early!"

"So are you Kikwang. Are you here alone?"

"Yeah, its my turn to set up today!"

 

I'll help too, I told Kikwang as I walked into the changing room. I got my uniform on, and started helping Kikwang, ignoring his "No hyung!! I can do it myself, you go ahead and take some rest, it's only 6 am!!" I smiled at Kikwang when we were done setting up. It was only 6:25 am now. Thanks hyung, Kikwang smiled and handed me a cup of caramel latte, with a heart foam design. I looked up, to see Kikwang smiling at me, saying "It's my feelings~ Kyaa" and blush like a girl who fell in love at first sight. Cute. Are all the workers here in this cafe all this adorable? I thought to myself and took a sip of the caramel latte. It was sweet. Not too sweet, but just sweet enough to bring a smile to my face.

 

"It's delicious, Kikwang, thank you"

"It's for helping me today!! Don't thank me, I should be thanking you!"

 

While I was enjoying the latte, Dongwoon came into the cafe. Dongwoonie! You came early too~ He smiled at Kikwang, and paused when he saw me. He came up close to me, and apologized.

 

"I'm really sorry for yesterday hyung.. I hope you can forgive me, it was immature of Junhyung hyung and I"

 

Surprised at how mature and truthful he was, I accepted his apology (although it wasn't really anything to say sorry for) and patted his head. He was mature, the most mature one in this cafe (that was obvious), but I could still feel his adolescent vibe through this smile. It was a smile that had no worries. A big smile that can warm up your heart in a second of sight. As Kikwang, Dongwoon and I started to have a conversation Doojoon and Junhyung showed up as well. It was start of a new day, at Cafe de vanilla.

 

"Yoseob!"

"I told you to call me Yoseob hyung.."

 

As I was cashing out some people, Junhyung called me from behind. That kid, I told him to call me hyung. As I complained to him, he shrugged his shoulders and said, who cares, we're only 2 years apart. 2 years is a lot though... I had to swallow that sentence, because of what Junhyung held in front of me. It was a yellow colored paper bag. I stood there thinking, what does he want me to do with this?

 

"You know, my arm can't stay like this forever.."

 

Oh, it was something for me. I took it from Junhyung's hand and took out a box from the bag. When I opened the box, I couldn't help but to laugh. A yellow tumbler with a simple 'smile' on it.  I looked at Junhyung. He looked away, with pinky flushed cheeks. I stood up, still looking up, and pinched his cheeks. Who's the little baby, it's you! Haha.. My voice silenced as it got to the end of the sentence, due to all the eyes looking at me. Of course, there 4 pairs of eyes staring at me most weirdly, and once again of course, it was the four people whom I work with. 

 

".. A... Ahaha, sorry guys, it's a habit of mine to baby others who are younger than me.."

" I don't think it's your place to baby others hyung, have you seen what you look like?"

 

I zoned out. Why? What do I look like? Huh? After a few seconds, I got what Dongwoon meant. Hey! I yelled at Dongwoon. It's true though! Kikwang added, with a childish smile I just couldn't hate on. I sighed, and got back to work. As I was working, I realized that it was already 1 pm, and was about to call Junhyung, as it was now his turn to be on the cashier shift. But I remembered that he really didn't want this shift. Right, I mean, if I were in Junhyung's place, I would have hated me too. A newbie that took over his job. I wonder how ty he felt. I pretended not to realize that it was 1 pm, and remained on the cashier shift, until Doojoon started to yell.

 

"Junhyung! It's almost 2 pm, it was your turn to be on the cash shift a long time ago!"

"Oh , right right right , sorry!"

"Eh.. It's okay! I can stay!"

 

It's okay, I can take the shift. Junhyung said with a soft voice. It's no big deal really, yesterday I was just overreacting. We're a team now. You're important to us. Junhyung grinned. A team. We.. Were a team now. The word team rang a bell through my head. I was important to this team. I made a promise in my head as I got my apron on. I will never, in my life, betray these people. 

 

"Guys! one Americano and one Espresso Macchiato ! Doojoon, we're out of red velvet ! Dongwoon, take these to table 14!"

"Oh man, so many orders! I swear, the cafe was never this bu-- Ouch!"

 

Junhyung whacked Kikwang's head as he whined. Stop whining and get to work! Junhyung scolded Kikwang, and as he was walking back to the cash register , he paused when he spotted someone across the counter. It was girl, who had very revealing clothes on, with heavy makeup, with thick, loose curls. Instead of ordering, she seemed like she was carrying a conversation with him. As she kept running , Junhyung's face started to scrunch up with uncomfortable ness. 

 

"What's going on??"

"Ha, I guess theres no need to be talking to you now"

 

Junhyung's face scrunched up even more when I got to him. The girl had a very annoying, high pitched voice, that instantly got on my nerves. As I began to scrunch up my face, the girl handed me her phone. I looked at her. 

 

"Yeah?"

"Do you really not know what this means?"

"No, not really"

 

The girl rolled her eyes, but smiled.

 

"I guess you really are a pure baby"

 

Huh, is that supposed to be a compliment? 

 

"I want your number."

 

 

Junhyung's face crumpled up. Dongwoon almost tripped. Kikwang spilled coffee all over the counter, and with a loud ruckus, Doojoon bolted out of the kitchen. Doojoon walked over to us, and pushed her phone away from me. 

 

"sorry, but flirting isn't allowed during work hours"