The first day

Smile Mask Syndrome

 

'A bitter day- It would all be deleted just like this; one day it'll all be forgotten; I'll probably end up smiling when that happens, but right now I just can't do anyth-'

 

Ugh, another day started. As I reached out to my alarm clock to stop the alarm, I realized that the it wasn't the alarm that was going off. It was my phone. Funny, I thought, I never remember setting my phone alarm. But I couldn't help but to stare in to the phone screen.

 

'23 missed calls'

 

It wasn't my phone alarm. It was actually my phone ringing from a call. 23 missed calls? From who? It can't be the cafe, it's not even 9 yet! Wrong. I was in shock when I saw the time on my clock. It was almost 10. , how?! No time to just stand there and think. I rushed into the washroom and began washing my hair. After, I quickly brushed my teeth and got ready. I froze when my phone started ringing again. , , . Do I pick this up? I just stared blankly into the screen. It was Doojoon.

 

"Hel-"

"WHERE ARE YOU?! OH MY GOD JUNHYUNG I WILL KILL YOU! IT'S MORNING! THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE WHO WANTS COFFEE QUICKER AND FASTER. KIKWANG CAN'T WORK ALONE AS A BARISTA, YOU KNOW THAT!! HE'S TOO SLOW!"

 

I heard Kikwang swearing at Doojoon in the background. I said a quick sorry to Doojoon and immediately hung up. There was no time for me to listen to Doojoon. I quickly grabbed all my stuff, and bolted out of the house. 

 

"Sorry I was late guys!!"

 

As I hurriedly went into the cafe, I saw a group of people, surrounding the counter area. Doojoon saw me just standing around, and smacked me in the head.

 

"See what I mean? Look at all this people. Kikwang can't work alone!"

"What the hell are those group of people?"

"They're Yoseob's costumers..."

 

Eh?! But it's his first day here, how could this be? Dumbfounded, I just stood there. And of course once again, Doojoon smacked me in the head, and told me to get changed and get to work. As I was changing, Dongwoon came into the changing room.

 

"Hyung, who's this person? He just walked into the cafe today, got changed, and started working. Kikwang and I were really surprised!"

"I know, I know, I don't know what's wrong with Doojoon.. He just hired him with a snap of a finger!"

 

Dongwoon and I were bickering like elementary school girls. Dongwoon of course, thought that this was a serious matter. 'What if that guy can't even do work properly?!' or 'what if he's just here to look at the pretty girls?' Although Dongwoon had a point, some of the points just made him seem a bit jealous. As time past, we realized that it's been 15 minutes already. We got up to get to work, but froze as soon as Yoseob came into the changing room. Dongwoon looked at me worriedly. His expressions told me 'what if he heard?' Who cares, I thought. If he gets hurt and quit, better for us. 

 

"Hey guys!"

 

Yoseob said with a great big smile. I rolled my eyes and walked away, and Dongwoon followed me, leaving Yoseob in the change room alone.

 

"Oh my gosh guys! You guys should have been there!"

 

The usual annoying Kikwang. I have no time for this kid.. I walked away to the counter, to brew more coffee, but realized that all of the ports were fresh. All of it. There was no way that Kikwang did all of this. Alone. In such little time. I looked at Kikwang with a dumbfounded face, to see that Kikwang was looking at me with a sheepish smile, the smile that just screams out 'I told you'. 

 

"There is no way that you did all of this.."

"Yeah, I know. I didn't"

"Did Doojoon help you? But he's busy making cakes!"

"Yoseob huyng did it"

 

Deep clear voice said, coming from behind me. It was Doojoon. Another shock. Yoseob did all this? I pointed at the freshly brewed coffee, and said.

 

"Yeah. The coffee, the whipped cream, the chocolate flakes.. Everything!"

"No way.."

 

Dongwoon seemed more shocked than me. 

 

"He's pretty talented! He's pretty quick too!"

"Yeah. Right now I told him to get some rest. It looked like he didn't get any sleep last night.."

 

Kikwang and Doojoon seemed pretty happy. But then, when is Kikwang never happy.. 

 

"By the way... Junhyung"

"What?"

 

Something seemed a bit fishy. I suddenly got shivers going through my back.

 

"It's been decided"

"... W... What?"

"You, Yoseob hyung, and Kikwang will rotate being cashiers"

 

I just stood there. There was no way Doojoon just said that to me. Kikwang and I were the baristas of this place since it opened. 

 

"You're kidding me right?"

"No, no I'm not"

"Fine, you know what? Whatever"

 

I don't know why I was like this. I mean, it's just a barista job. 3 people being baristas isn't a big deal. Confused out of my mind, I just stepped out of the cafe.

 

"Fine, then I'm taking a day off today"

 

Dongwoon looked at me worriedly and sighed.  Maybe I'm overreacting. Well, yeah, I am overreacting. But I couldn't help it. I just.. Never mind. I shook my head, and headed off to nowhere. As I was walking, I realized that I was at a playground. The playground with so many memories, I thought, and laughed. It's already been so long, yet I'm thinking about it still. I just sat down on the swings, and stayed there. As time went by, I realized. What am I doing here? Why was I so upset when Doojoon told me that there will be 3 cashiers? Why am I still being like this?  I'm such a child, I thought. I stood back up, and started walking back towards the cafe. I've already been out for around 3-4 hours? The sun was so bright. As I was walking towards the cafe, I little store caught my eyes. On the display window, there were glass tumblers. I was going to walk away, but something caught my eyes. It was a bright yellow tumbler. Just yellow. No designs, just a simple word, 'smile'. I immediately thought of Yoseob. Like I was being bewitched, I walked into the store, and bought the tumbler. What am I going to do with this? I sighed. I'll just.. Give it to Yoseob as a sorry present, I guess. I walked into the cafe, too see that Kikwang was staring at me blankly.

 

"Where's Yoseob hyung?!"

".. Isn't he here?"

"No! We thought he was with you!"

"Why?!"

"Because he went out as soon as you went out! So we thought that he was going to calm you down or something, but since you guys were taking so late, we thought that  you guys were hanging out or something.. I was just going to call you, to stop screwing around and come back to work!"

 

I stood there with an 'are you kidding me?' face. But then I realized, they weren't joking. Doojoon came out of the kitchen and looked at me. As soon as he was about to open his mouth, I said that Yoseob isn't with me. We all had a glum face. Well, we should all look for him right? I turned back quickly and left the cafe, leaving the others. Soon, Kikwang and Doojoon followed me.

 

"Dumb asses, why would you guys leave the cafe?"

"It's okay, Dongwoonie's there!"

"And besides, you know we're all for the teamwork. Yoseob's a part of our cafe now, so we should all work hard and look for him"

 

I smiled. Right. Teamwork. Something I should have kept in my mind before I started talking about Yoseob. I was too selfish.. I asked Doojoon if he had Yoseob's address, phone number.. etc. When he gave me his number, I quickly dialed his number. It was getting dark. I started to panic. Why? I didn't know yet. I started to swear under my breath when the usual service lady's cold, expressionless voice was heard through the speaker, when a sudden feel of deja vu rushed through my mind. I went back to the playground that I had stayed before.

 

"Yoseob.."

 

The little back of his trembled. He looked up, and smiled.

 

"Junhyung, I'm your hyung!"

 

I smiled back. His nonchalant remark warmed my heart a bit. Come on, I lent him a hand to stand back up. I called Doojoon and told him to not to worry because I found him. He told me to buy Yoseob something warm to drink and walk him home. I nodded slightly and hung up. Yoseob laughed.

 

"Why are you laughing?"

"Because, you were nodding, although Doojoon can't see you"

"It's a habit, don't mind it"

"It's alright, I find it pretty cute!"

 

Haha, you're calling this face cute? More like handsome!  Sheesh Junhyung, you're so full of yourself. We were both full of laughter and smiles. As girly as that expression may sound, it was the best expression. We were happy. As we reached to Yoseob's apartment (I still refused to call him hyung after his complaints), I called out his name.

 

"Yeah?"

"Yoseob, I'm sorry for today.."

"It's okay Junhyung! Don't worry about it!"

 

I felt a touch of sadness on his expression I thought, but I just brushed that feeling off. Right now, I was glad that I could see him smile. I waved my hands, and stood there as Yoseob went into his apartment. I felt more refreshed after saying sorry to Yoseob, and walked back to the cafe. When I got there, Doojoon, Kikwang, and Dongwoon were getting ready to close the cafe.

 

"Junhyung!! What happened?"

"Nothing, really. I just walked him to his house"

"Where did you find him hyung?"

 

The little place near the playground. You know, the pit that has the brick walls and everything? As soon as I told them, their face hardened. Of course Junhyung, how could we ever forget that place.. Doojoon said with a gloomy expression. Well anyway, I'm tired, I'm going home, kay guys? I stepped out of the cafe. A few moments after, I heard Kikwang scream "YONG JUUN HYUUUNG! YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO CLEAN THE CAFE, NOT US!!"

 

I smirked. Stupid Kikwang. With a light heart, I walked home.