The meet and greet

Smile Mask Syndrome

"... Excuse me"

 

As I was cleaning the counter, a little voice called out behind me.

 

"I'm sorry sir, but it's 10:30. It's closing time"

"... I was going to apply for a job here"

 

The little boy in front of me looked determined. A little too determined perhaps, as this was only a small cafe. Well, a job is a job, and we were in desperate need of a new cashier. But really, is this little boy even old enough for this job? The boy was about 5"5 tall, with blond hair that covered most of his head. His facial features were like a kindergartner's. Big doe like eyes, cute, chubby cheeks, with a small nose and mouth. He looked about 13 to 14? Maybe 15? As I was thinking, I realized that this boy was still staring at me, maybe thinking "what the hell is this guy doing, I want a job interview". 

 

"Right, sorry, I'll call the manager of this place, wait up, kay?"

 

As the boy nodded, I hurriedly went to the changing room, where Doojoon was about to take off this cafe uniform. 

 

"Doojoon!"

"Holy Jesus Lord, you surprised me there! What do you want?!"

"There's a person out there that wants a job interview"

"WHAT?! Where?! Hurry up!! Lead the way fool!"

"What way?! Where else would the person be?! The kitchen?! He's in the front!"

 

When we got to the front, Doojoon looked at me. His eyes were probably saying 'are you sure this kid is old enough?' I shrugged,  and looked at the boy. I swear, this kid is definitely not old enough too work here.

 

".. Are you sure you're old enough to work here?"

 

The boy froze. He looked up to Doojoon and I (he was shorter than us), and smiled.

 

"Of course, if I weren't.. Why would I be here?"

 

Doojoon and I looked at each other. We were in need of a cashier, as the cashier before quit, quite a long time ago, and I was filling in for that cashier. Doojoon shrugged this time, and smiled.

 

"So, what's your name?"

"It's Yoseob. Yang Yoseob"

"Age?"

"28"

"Okay, 2-.... TWENTY EIGHT?!"

 

We were both stunned. 28.. 28.. Oh my god. This little boy (or I thought he was one) was 2 years older than Doojoon and I. As Doojoon and I both just stood there in shock, Yoseob (his face didn't match the word 'hyung') looked at us with a funny expression.

 

"How about you guys?"

"..Hu.. Huh?"

"... Name and age?"

 

That funny expression was definitely a 'these people are kind of scary.. What's wrong with them' face.

 

"I'm Doojoon. This kid is Junhyung. We're both 26"

"Oh, okay. So.. About the job..?"

"You definitely got the job, h..Hyun..Hyung"

"Eh?! Really? I was expecting some really intense job interview! I was panicking!"

 

Doojoon laughed his usual annoying sheepish laugh, and patted Yoseob. I sighed, and grabbed Doojoon's arm away from Yoseob.

 

"Stop patting him, he's older than you. You "

"Eh? It's alright! It's been awhile since I felt this welcomed!"

"Heh, whaddaya say, he likes it. Who's the now?"

 

Whatever. I rolled my eyes and finished cleaning the counter. As I walked back into the front after changing back to my normal clothes, Doojoon was explaining about what Yoseob needed to do. I was a bit confused by Doojoon's actions. He always took second thoughts about the people who wanted jobs here, and ended up denying them. But today, it was different. The job interview wasn't even a legitimate interview. No 'have you ever worked as a cashier?' or 'what other jobs did you have before?' It was just like a meet and greet kind of thing. Just name and age, and you're good to go. I thought of Dongwoon and Kikwang's face expressions they'll make when I tell them this tomorrow, considering I know that they're pretty intelligent, and would think that this is wrong. Wait, maybe not Kikwang..

 

"So, you got to be here by 9 AM. I'll give you the uniform tomorrow when you get here!"

"Alright! Bye Doojoon! Bye Junhyung!"

"Bye hyung!"

"R-right, bye" 

 

I don't know why I stuttered. Doojoon looked at me with a weird expression and walked past me, towards the exit door. 

 

"Alright, I'm going to leave now. Make sure you lock the doors, okay? Bye bro!"

"Aight, see you tomorrow"

 

As Doojoon left, I sighed and sat down at a table. It was weird. Doojoon was acting a little too weird. I was acting weird. Yoseob is definitely weird. I don't know. It was like the past. The past I definitely don't want to go through again. Ever. Hoping for it to never happen again, I left the cafe, locked the doors, and went home. However, even when I was walking home, the weird feeling in my heart didn't disappear.