chapter two

Mentally Unstable

                “Tell me Ellison.” AJ said while narrowing his eyes on the boy in front of him. “Have you been taking your medication?”

                “Of course, what makes you say that?”

                “Well for starters you spent the past ten minutes ignoring me, spaced out, and you were even talking about getting married to your deceased girlfriend. Care to explain this?”

                “W-what the hell are you talking about? That didn’t happen.” he snapped. AJ quickly eyed the man sitting across from him and then grabbed the pen off of his clipboard. “You don’t believe me do you?” Eli furrowed his eyebrows and stared down the thin lipped man. He slightly glanced up at the patient, looked back down, and quickly wrote something on the thin paper. “Of course I do.”

                He didn’t know what he was doing honestly, his hands moved on his own snatching the clipboard out of the other man’s possession, and then his eyes landed on the last line.

                Aggressive, denies truth, hasn’t been taking medication, unstable.

                “Denies truth?” Eli mumbled while slightly tilting his head in confusion.  This again? How many times was he going to have to go through this? His girlfriend had told him several times over and over that he wasn’t insane and that he didn’t need a therapist. She told him that it was all in everyone else’s minds, his mom’s, his dad’s, AJ’s. He closed his eyes for a brief second, remembering what she had told him a few nights ago.

                “Ellison, you aren’t schizophrenic.” she huffed while crossing those slender arms of hers. “And I’m real. Everyone else is out to get you, but don’t worry.” A toothy smile appeared on her face. “You have me and as long as you trust me, everything will be fine.”

                This time he decided to trust her, with his whole heart or 99.9% of it. It had finally hit him that night she threw away those pills. She was all he needed and she certainly wasn’t dead. He saw her every single day, night, hour, second, you just name it. She never left his side and she was just always there. That funeral that he went to last year that was meant for “her” was probably some sad lame prank or something, well, that’s what she kept on telling him.

                “Aren’t you the one denying the truth?” Eli questioned. “I’m clearly fine and you just keep on giving me pills that don’t even do anything to convince me that I’m ‘insane’.”

                “Ellison- I mean- Eli.” AJ said while straightening out his back nervously. “You aren’t insane, you’re just mentally handicapped and you need to understand that you’re just not- how do I put it?” There was a slight pause as the therapist fidgeted in his seat. “Normal?” Eli finished. AJ broke out into cold sweat. “Are you scared of me now? Just because I found out that everything my girlfriend said was right?”

                “What are you talking about?”

                “It’s all in your head.” Eli replied while standing up, clutching the thin clipboard in one hand. “I’m not ‘mentally handicapped’ and my girlfriend was totally right. I should’ve listened to her from the start, everyone just thinks- I’m not normal.” Before he could even utter another word the door opened and a head quickly poked in. “Sorry for not knocking,” the girl mumbled with eyes quickly analyzing the situation. “but is everything okay in here?” Those piercing eyes that were aimed at the nervous therapist in front of him fell onto the girl and he just couldn’t believe what he saw.

                In the back of his mind his conscious started picking away at him again, telling him that she that she really did die a year ago but what stood in front of him was surely real this time, right? Even that of a therapist looked over at the door- so..this wasn’t just his imagination acting up, right?

                “A little help would be nice.” AJ said easing up out of his seat. This couldn’t be real. AJ was speaking to her. The other times he would completely ignore her and say that she wasn’t there. That couldn’t possibly be her.

                “Ellison?” that familiar voice chimed. He instantly looked down at his lover who had both arms wrapped around his him. “What’s wrong?”

                “I..” he muttered. “see two of you?”

Maybe, just maybe, he was a little bit insane.

------

word count - 733