Chapter 5

My World

Daehyun sent the letters like always but just because he was so use to doing it. He had long given up any hope of seeing Jaylie again. Everytime he tried to get what he wanted, she ended up winning. Even without him giving her everything, she always got what she wanted.
Years went by without him paying attention as he numbly lived his life. If living is what you could call it. Nothing made him happy anymore. Not even the background picture on his phone that stayed the same all these years. Her and her little, pink hairbows.

He walked outside one day to leave for work and turned to lock the door behind him. When he turned back around, he came to an abrupt stop. He couldn't believe what he was seeing.
She stood a few feet from him in her school uniform and carrying a backpack. Her familiar eyes looked at him in almost wonder as she her lips nervously.
"Are.. Are you.. Jung Daehyun?" she asked hesitantly.
He simply nodded his head as a lump formed in his throat and he stared at her in shock.
"Uh.. hi." she said. "D-dad." Then she bit her bottom lip, fear reflecting in her eyes.
He in a shaky breath as he felt his jaw shake. His eyes watered and he tried to blink away the tears but failing. "Hi." he replied quietly. "Baby girl."
Jaylie let out the breath she had been holding and a small smile formed on her face. Then she frowned slightly as she fully took him in and the briefcase in his hand. "Uh.. Sorry. Were you.. Do you have somewhere.. important.. you have to be?"
He quickly shook his head. "No." he told her and hurriedly wiped at his eyes. "No. Not more important than you."
She blinked at him in surprise before another smile lit up her face.
"Will you.. come in?" he asked and indicated the house.
She nodded. "Yes."
He unlocked the front door and then pushed it open for her. She smiled and walked past him into the house. He felt his heart hammering as he followed her and quickly offered her a seat on the couch.
"Do you want something to drink? Water, tea, coffee. No, not coffee, you're too young still. Uh, I think I have some orange juice." he rambled.
She giggled and he stopped to stare at her. The sound was music to his ears.
"No thank you." she replied as she set her backpack aside and looked around the house.
He noticed and he realized what time it was as he furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you suppose to be in school?"
She blushed slightly and bit her lip. "Well... I actually don't have school today. I just told mom I did so I could get out of the house and come here."
He blinked at her in surprise and his breath caught in his throat. She wanted to see him.
"Mom will seriously freak out if she finds out." she said with an awkward chuckle. "And then dad.."
Daehyun winced and looked away.
"Uh.. um..." Jaylie said as she saw his reaction. "Well... I'll be in a lot of trouble."
He watched as she fidgeted nervously and he offered her a reassuring smile. "Well nothing to do about it now. You're already here."
"Yeah." she shyly agreed. Then she swallowed and gave him a serious look. "Can I.. ask you.. something?"
He nodded his head and took a deep breath. "You can ask me anything you want."
"Why.. Why didn't.. you want me?"
His face fell and his chest constricted painfully. "What?? No. Oh god no, baby girl. I never.. I wanted to see you so badly." he desperately told her, pleading that she'll believe him. "I only ever thought about you. I tried to get custody of you but lost. Then your mom wouldn't let me have visitation."
She raised her eyebrows at him curiously. "Really?"
"Yes." he insisted and his mind raced for a way to prove it. Then he hurriedly grabbed his phone and showed her the background picture. "Do you remember this day? It was the first time I got to see you in forever. I asked if you wanted to spend the day with me and that I'd buy you ice cream."
She looked at the picture curiously. "I don't remember that."
His mouth dropped open slightly but then he shook his head. "No. Probably not. You were so young and it was for only a minute." Then he sadly looked at the photo before looking back up at her. "And I told you that I love you. To remember that I'll always love you."
Jaylie bit her lip as her eyes watered a little. "Mom told me..." She shook her head before smiling at him. "It doesn't matter."
He smiled back at her. "No, it doesn't. Let's just.. focus on the future."
She giggled and nodded her head. "Is there anything you want to know?"
"Everything." he hastily answered without hesitation and she laughed at him. "I want to know everything about you."
"Well... can it be over breakfast?" she asked. "I was so nervous coming here that I didn't eat before I left. Now I'm starving."
He laughed. "Alright. You want to go out and eat? Or I can make you something. What do you like?"
"Do you know how to make cinnamon pancakes?" she asked.
His smile faltered a little at that before he let out a small chuckle. "Just like your mother."
She blinked at him in surprise a little before she blushed. "Yeah."
He shook his head and stood up. "Trust me. You have not lived till you've eaten my cinnamon pancakes. Want to help?"
"Absolutely!" she eagerly declared and stood up as well.

They spent the day talking and getting to know each other. Before they knew it, it was time for her to leave so she'd be home around the same time she normally arrived after school. He walked with her to the nearest bus stop when she declined a ride home and made sure she had his cell phone number if she ever wanted to talk to him. Then repeatedly told her several times to call him anytime she wanted. Day or night.
"Okay already!" she exclaimed and rolled her eyes, making him giggle.
The bus pulled to the curb and she started to get on when he stopped her. "I love you baby girl." he told her.
She shyly smiled and went to turn away. Then she quickly turned back and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Love you too dad." Then she dashed on to the bus.
Daehyun stood there in shock with his mouth open as the bus drove away. His heart beat rapidly in his chest as he felt his eyes water yet again today. But these were tears of joy.

A week later there was a knock on his door and he opened it to find a woman from child services.
"Hello." she greeted. "I'm here to do the inspection."
"Inspection?" he asked curiously.
"Oh." she replied and looked at her clip board. "You are Jung Daehyun, right?"
"Yes."
The lady shrugged. "Guess the letter was lost in the mail. You're daughter is at the legal age now where she can choose which parent to live with and she requested to be placed with you."
He gripped the door harder and felt the room spin. "What?" he asked in disbelief.
The lady gave him a warm smile. "I just need to clear you and then the process can be started. Is this a good time?"
He nodded his head, still at a lost as to what was happening, and let her in. He followed her around the house and when they got to Jaylie's room, he gave her a sheepish smile. "Guess I have some shopping to do." he said as he looked around the room furnished with toddler items.
The lady raised an eyebrow at him but then smiled and nodded. Then she checked off her sheet. "You're cleared. Once the judge signs off on it, she can move it. It'll be about a week."
"Great." he answered and walked her to the front door.
"One week and you're world will be turned upside down." she joked.
He chuckled and felt his heart swell at that thought. "Yeah."


"Just ask her out already! It's obvious you like her." Jaylie whined. "Plus she's pretty. And you know she's smart being a psycology and english major."
Daehyun quickly shushed her and rolled his eyes. They were sitting at the coffee shop they both loved on one of their weekly outings.
"What are you going to do when I'm old enough to leave for college and you're home alone?"
He narrowed his eyes at her. "Who says you're allowed to move out?"
She groaned and rolled her eyes this time. "You're impossible."
"Eat your cheesecake before I do." he threatened.
She held up her fork as if to stab him and glared at him. "Try it."
He smiled and chuckled at her antics. Then he felt his heart skip a beat when the waitress walked up to their table.
"More coffee Daehyun?" she asked, knowing the two of them well since they were regulars.
"Please." he answered and tried to hide the shy smile forming on his face.
"Want to go on a date with my dad?"
"Jaylie!" he exclaimed and stared at his daughter in shock.
"Huh?" the waitress uttered, surprised as well.
Jaylie winked at her father. "He really likes you but is too shy to say anything."
He quickly turned to the waitress to stutter an apology at his daughter's boldness but stopped when he heard her giggle.
"I'm free tomorrow."
"Dinner at six?" Jaylie asked.
"Sounds good." Then she set the coffee pot down on the table and pulled out the receipt book. "Here's my number." she said as she hastily wrote and down before placing the paper on the table. Then she winked at Daehyun, "See you then."
He stared at her in shock as she left and then grabbed the paper, reading the phone number over and over again. Then he glanced over at her while she was at another table. Their eyes met briefly before she shyly smiled and turned away.
"Somebody has a date." Jaylie teasingly sang.
Daehyun felt his face turn bright red as he tried to compose himself. "E-eat your cheesecake." he mumbled.
She laughed and took a bite as Daehyun looked at the phone number again. His life was coming together even after he had given up all hope. He had his daughter back and the possibility of having someone he could fall in love with.
"You're my whole world." he told Jaylie. "I hope you know that."
She stopped eating and looked at him. Then she smiled. "I know." Then she scrunched up her face. "Now stop being so cheesy. You're making me lose my appetite."
He chuckled. "I don't think that's possible."
"I get it from you." she countered and stuck her tongue out at him.

He laughed and looked at her happily. His world was complete.