Chapter 2

My World

"What?" Daehyun asked in confusion. "I don't understand."
"I've been having an affair." she repeated.
He stared at her in disbelief. This wasn't happening. This couldn't be happening. She had everything. He gave her everything.
"For a while now." she continued.
He grabbed on to the counter to steady himself. "But.." he feeble whispered, "I.. I gave you everything. I.. How could.."
"It's not enough."
His mouth dropped open and he blinked in surprise. "What more could you want? I made it so you could stay home and not work. I stayed late at work every night to buy you this house you wanted."
She rolled her eyes at him and crossed her arms. "You're such an idiot Daehyun. You gave me everything but you."
"I did give myself to you." he retorted, panic in his voice. "I love you. I asked you to marry me. I'm completely faithful to you."
"But a person could only be left home alone so many nights before they get lonely." she sneered. "That didn't matter to you though."
He shook his head at what he was hearing. "Of course it matters to me. You matter to me."
"Well, it's too late now." she stated. "You can sleep on the couch." Then she turned around and walked out of the kitchen. Without a second thought.

He stood there, too dazed and confused to move. Pain started to slowly fill his chest as he thought about what just happened. About what he heard.
Then the noise over the baby monitor made him jump in surprise. He stared at it on the counter, forgotten by her, before he grabbed it.
Rushing upstairs, he went to the nursery and found Jaylie in the crib. He picked her up and rocked her as he carried her out of the room. He made his way downstairs and back into the kitchen.
"It's okay baby girl." he cooed and took the bottle out of the fridge. "Here you go."
He went to the living room and sat on the couch. He kept his eyes on her as she ate until his vision blurred with tears.

When Jaylie was content and sleeping soundly in his arms, he made no effort to place her in her crib for the night. Instead he held her and formed a plan in his mind. He'd wake up early in the morning and make the cinnamon pancakes she loved. Beg her for a second chance. He'll give her what she wanted just like he always did and be home more often. No matter what it took.
Then he carefully got up and carried his daughter to her room. Gently, he placed her in bed and went to walk away. He stopped though and stayed standing by her crib, . Like he always did.
"I'm sorry." he uttered as quiet as possible, even with his voice cracking. "I messed up but I'll fix this. I'll make us a family again. Just please... Please remember that I'll always love you."


In the morning, he did just that. The house filled with the scent of cinnamon as he prepared a special 'breakfast in bed' surprise. He set the plate on the tray with a little condiment bowl of syrup. A glass of juice and the note telling her how much he loved her completed it. He carried it in to the bedroom and set it on the bedside table before gently sitting on the bed.
"Honey." he softly cooed to wake her.
She blinked her eyes open and glanced up at him. "What are you doing?"
"I made you a surprise." he told her and grabbed the tray.
She sat up with a sigh and looked at the offering as he set it on her lap. "Daehyun."
"Please." he stated and felt his heart speed up. "I messed up. I admit it. Let me fix this."
She raised an eyebrow at him. "How?"
"I'm coming home early tonight." he said. "And I'll do that every night if I have to." Then he reached out and placed a hand on her cheek. "Please." he pleaded with her and felt his eyes water. "I love you."
"I love you too." she replied. "I still do even with..."
"I know." he assured her. "You needed to feel wanted and I failed you. I didn't show it enough but I swear I do. You mean everything to me."
"And the affair?"
He gave her a small, affectionate smile. "I forgive you. How could I possibly do anything else?"
She stared at him for a moment before reaching for the syrup. She poured some on the pancakes and then grabbed the fork. Watching him, she took a bite and Daehyun felt his heart swell.
"I'll be home for dinner." he stated. "I promise. Then we'll talk more. About what I can do and whatever it is, I'll do it."
"I know you will. You always do."

Daehyun came home that night exactly when he promised. He walked in to the living room with the bouquet of flowers and noticed it was empty. He smiled to himself and quietly tip-toed through the house so he could surprise her.
When he got to their bedroom, he was momentarily confused he hadn't found her yet. He turned to leave but stopped when he noticed the piece of paper laying on the bed. Inhaling sharply, he felt his body go numb with dread and stood there staring at it. Not wanting to see.
Eventually he forced his fee to move and he awkwardly shuffled forward. A shaky hand reached out and picked it up:

Daehyun, I'm sorry. I lied. I don't love you anymore. I haven't for a while. I'm moving on with my life because I fell in love with him. It wasn't just a needy fling because you weren't home. Again, I'm sorry. This is what I want though and I already talked to a divorce lawyer. I know you'll give it to me just like everything else. You always do.
He's good to me and treats me right so you don't have to worry about that. We'll be fine and..


He stopped reading. 'We'll be fine.'
The letter and the flowers landed on the bed as he bolted out of the room. To the nursery. Instantly he noticed the closet door open and the stacks of clothes that were missing. The toy chest wasn't as full as it had been. He ran to the crib to find it empty except for one thing. A little, pink blanket. The same one she had came home from the hospital in.
He reached for it and felt the soft material with his fingers.
"No." he whined, barely louder than a whisper.
The room spun as his mind went blank. His legs gave out and he crashed to his knees the same time the tears fell.
"No. No. No." he begged as he clutched the blanket to his chest and felt his heart rip apart.
His body rocked back and forth as he shrieked in pain.

No longer perfect. No longer complete. His world was broken.