Chapter 2

Mist-shrouded

Chapter 2

 

 


 

I couldn’t help it but I actually felt lonely. After a long week, my roommate had yet to arrive and I realized I hated to sleep with no one in the same room: I had trouble sleeping, I kept searching for someone or something to hold and the only thing that I could embrace was my pillow. During the start of my second week, I already felt tired and I had bags under my eyes. It didn’t help that some workers had started to pick up on me, but they did nothing serious.

I didn’t understand why they did that, but then I realized I was one of the youngest workers in there; I was lucky I was still alive, probably some of them had to fight to get in there, but I was forced to live in the Great Blue Capital. As I arrived at the cafeteria, I felt someone glaring at me. I tried to ignore that and I walked towards the trays to grab one, trying to glance at the menu of the day. I groaned when someone bumped into me, making me trip, but when I looked up rather annoyed, I met a pair of dark eyes filled with fear.

“I’m… I’m truly sorry!” I just kept quiet and shrugged. The guy was small and was clearly scared of me, but I had no intention to beat him or scream at him; after all, I could be in the same situation as him. “It’s fine, but please, next time pay more attention.” I murmured. He nodded quickly and glanced at my name – no, number – tag, and smiled shyly. “Of course. May I have breakfast with you?” I hummed, despite I was surprised by his behavior, and we walked to the counters filled with foods and drinks. “I’m number 2592, my name is Kyungsoo. I’ve just arrived; boss Kim told me I was your roommate, I’m glad I’ve already found you.”

I shivered when I heard about Kim. I hoped Jongin didn’t have any intention to pay me a visit, but I was sure he was going to. “A-ah, then… nice to meet you. I’m Sehun.” I stuttered. Unfortunately for me, Kyungsoo seemed happy to be my roommate; even though I wanted someone just to get some sleep, he looked like he was also ready to be my friend. We quickly took our breakfast and we found two seats in a corner of the cafeteria; we walked through loud whispers and small groups of people dressed just like us, but we never stopped to answer their snarky remarks.

“Boss Kim seems nice. How’s living here?” He asked with a small smile. I shrugged, but I rolled my eyes hearing his comment about Jongin. “Just fine. Where are you from? I’m originally from Earth, but I had to move to Purgatory.” I muttered as I took a slice of toasted bread; Kyungsoo frowned and he looked down, obviously not happy with my question. He glanced away from me, his shoulder slumped and I noticed he was slightly trembling. He started playing with his uniform, a black jumpsuit a bit too big for him that made him look like a lost child. “I’m from Hell.” He whispered.

I didn’t need to ask him what happened, I already knew everything. If people struggled to survive in Purgatory, then Hell was simply the worst; everything was better than that place, but I also understood that Kyungsoo didn’t trust anyone and his was just a facade. Hell gained its name though years of blood and tears, and the cruel government of those aliens made sure that it was going to be the worst nightmare humans could experience both when wide awake and asleep. Kyungsoo was way too frail and small to be one of the strong part of that horrible planet, and I knew that if I looked carefully at his wrist I was going to see nasty old bruises and scars that I could surely find scattered all over his fragile body.

I did get into fights and many days I couldn’t find food, but I couldn’t even imagine what happened on Hell. “You’re going to be fine, here.” I reassured him; Kyungsoo nodded without a word and he started eating his breakfast. I did the same, and we didn’t keep talking until we had finished everything. I was scared to say too much and I felt like I didn’t have the right to say I was sorry to what happened to him, so I decided not to say a thing. We quickly went to our room, in order to get ready for work, and I opened the door with a small smile.

“I’m sorry, I also tried your bed. I couldn’t sleep properly.” I explained as we entered; I was looking at my new roommate, but I realized he wasn’t even listening to me. He was focused on something behind me, so I frowned and I turned around. I was frozen: in front of me there was boss Kim, who was busy playing with a ring. “S-sir, I didn’t expect you to be there…” I stuttered. I hated to admit it, but I was actually scared of him; I didn’t want to know what was going on in his head, and he clearly had some crazy plan for me. He didn’t even glanced up, too focused on the ring. He hummed and then shrugged, but when he finally looked at me, he had a smirk showing on his lips.

“Of course you didn’t.” He chuckled. I shivered slightly and I started feeling even more nervous than before. “I see you’ve already met our dear Kyungsoo. I hope you won’t complain too much about having a roommate… But I bet you won’t say a thing.” He continued talking. He started walking around Kyungsoo and me and as he arrived behind us, he swiftly closed the door and leaned on it. “The truth is that you’re happy having someone here with you, am I right?”

I didn’t answer. I didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of hearing my wavering voice, filled with fear and regrets, but I couldn’t look away. His eyes were locked with mine, and I knew I couldn’t escape from him anymore. “What do you say if I…” Jongin started, glancing at Kyungsoo with a strange glint in his eyes. “I’ll save your real friends, the ones you left back in Purgatory, but this little guy will be all mine.” He tilted his head, towards my new roommate, who seemed to have lost all his hope from his body. I felt like I couldn’t breathe anymore: my friends for… him? It was tempting. I wanted them to be safe, but I wasn’t heartless.

I looked at the smaller man, and felt bad for him. We weren’t friends, but I couldn’t live with the thought of ruining another life. Kyungsoo shook his head, at first slowly, but then faster and with even more desperation. “No… no, why?” He whispered. Tears started falling from his eyes and one by one fell on the floor. “Please… please, you promised me!” He was now shaking hard, so I wrapped my arms around him and I started caressing his back. He was muttering something, but I couldn’t understand a word; he looked lost, terrified.

“Look at you, number 2384.” Jongin snickered. “I thought you didn’t want to make friends, here. And yet you’re already comforting him.” He was right, but I really couldn’t help it; I was angry at boss Kim, he was better than us and he liked to play with our feelings. He laughed in delight, and I realized I was glaring at him. Why was he acting like that?! “Okay, number 2384. Your actions speak loudly for yourself. I won’t harm him, but…” Kyungsoo sobbed, but he wasn’t as tense as a few seconds before; unfortunately, I was the one who felt helpless.

“Pay attention, Oh Sehun. I want to play with you… and I will.” He turned around and swiftly went out of the room. I didn’t realize I was crying until Kyungsoo hugged me back and rested his head on my chest, as he continued wailing. For the first time in my life, I felt trapped. Purgatory wasn’t a nice place, but at least I had what remained of my family. Here in the Great Blue Capital I had no one. Kim Jongin had left, but I felt like his eyes wanted to tell me something else. I had to be ready. He was going to be here, waiting for me, that same night.


A/N:
I want to say sorry for posting this so late. I was really sad that no one had reviewed the previous chapter that I just gave up on this.
Anyway, I'll be glad if someone wants to be my beta! I want to improve my English, I won't be studying it anymore and I know that only reading fanfics won't help.
Think of this: if you'll be my beta, you will be able to read chapters before anyone else! <3
Thanks everyone, and please, this time leave a comment ^^