Chapter 18

Third Time Is The Charm

Chapter 18: Minhyuk’s POV

            “Let me walk you home,” I said after we said goodnight to the ahjumma at the restaurant.

            “No, it’s alright,” Yun-Ae said. “You should head home oppa. Your group members must be worried about you,”

            “Are you afraid that your parents will freak out when they see their perfect daughter with a guy like me?” I laughed.

            “No,” She said, shaking her head with a smile. "I don't even live with my parents anymore,"  

            She already moved out of her parent's house? She's only nineteen.             

            “Let me take you home,” I insisted. “It’s not good for a girl to walk alone at night,”

            “Fine,” She sighed, finally giving in.  

            “So tell me about yourself,” I said while we walked around Yeoksam-dong.

            “What do you want to know?” Yun-Ae asked as she looked up at me. “Is there anything you don’t know about me still?”

            “How about your family? You never really talk about them. To make it fair, I’ll tell you about mine,” I bargained as I slung my arm around her shoulders.

            “Okay. I have two siblings, my twin sister Yunji and an older brother named Yun-Hwa,” Yun-Ae said.

            "What about your parents?” I asked.

            “They own a restaurant,” Yun-Ae said. 

            "So why did you move out of their house already?" I asked.

            “Our family was never financially stable to begin with and as I got older, our financial situation got worse,” Yun-Ae sighed. “I didn’t want to be a financial burden on my parents nor my brother anymore. Yun-Hwa oppa works in the US and he sends a lot of his earnings to my parents so that they can pay rent,”

            “Oh," I said.

            "So, while we were still in high school, Yunji and I got jobs and we saved up for an apartment of our own,” Yun-Ae explained. "After we graduated, we moved out. I haven't seen my parents in months,"  

            “We...you could go visit them sometime,” I said. “Where in Jung-gu are they?”

            “Hwanghak-dong,” She admitted quietly.

            That’s why she wouldn’t tell anyone where she was from.

            “Yeah. It's not something to be proud of,” She muttered as she ran a hand through her hair.

            "I'm an only child," I said after a momentary silence between us. 

            "Really?" Yun-Ae asked as she looked up at me.

            "I've always wanted a little sister though," I added. 

            "I think you would be a good oppa," Yun-Ae said. 

            "You think?" I asked as a smile began to grow on my face. 

            "Yeah," She smiled. 

            She just complimented me. 

            “I’ll see you tomorrow then,” I said once we got to her apartment complex.

            “I’ll see you tomorrow,” Yun-Ae nodded. “Good night,”

            “Good night Yun-Ae," I said, giving her a hug goodbye before leaving to go back to the dorms.