Dilemma

Collide

“Don’t forget your lunch!”  Luhan called as Ana raced past him.  She turned and skidded to a stop, grabbing her lunch with a smile.

“Got it.”  He shook his head.

“Get up earlier and you wouldn’t have this problem.”  She smiled. 

“Don’t complain when it’s still early enough to make you breakfast.”  He shrugged.

“Touché.  Have a good day.  Makes lots of kids smile.”  Ana smiled and waved as the screen door closed behind her.

Ana clipped her ID to her scrub top and tossed her bag into a locker.  She clapped her hands, swinging her arms in a wide arc, and looked around. 

It was the same break room scene she’d seen almost every day for the past two years.  The paint on the lockers was chipped.  The coffee pot was half filled.  The out-dated wall paper was peeling and discolored.  The refrigerator was far from the latest model…but it did its job.  Fortunately, photos and drawings and notes nearly completely eclipsed the mint green exterior.  Bright smiles, tiny hands and feet, crooked and shaky penmanship…the tiny treasures on the refrigerator embodied why she felt the way she did about her job. 

She felt warm here.  Alive.  Like she made a difference.

It was here that she could help children who could not help themselves.  It was hardly glamorous work.  But despite the times she felt her heart would be torn and tattered from getting too close to patients whose lives were all too fragile and fleeting…she lived for this job. 

It kept her sane.  It kept her out of those dark places in her mind.

“Ana, breakfast trays are up.  Then nightshift is giving report.”

“Okay.  I’ll be right there!” 

“Okay, Miss Lily Pad, stay still while I flush your IV and I’ll find the fluffy frog you like.”  Ana promised cheerily as she prepped the syringe.  Her newest patient, a two-year-old with the thickest eyelashes she had ever seen, stared back at her with wide eyes.  With nimble fingers, Ana finished before the child began to squirm again and grabbed a toy from the shelf.  The little girl giggled, her fingers reaching for the stuffed animal Ana held.  She smiled and released the stuffy into the tiny hands.  Ana heard one of the staff directing a guardian to the room.  Suddenly the child’s attention darted to the door and her face lit up in a semblance of recognition.

Ana looked up and found herself locking eyes with Kris.  His eyes widened slightly before he masked his surprise with a bright smile to the little girl. 

“Hi,  Lil.  Whatcha got?” The toddler clapped her hand with the toy in delight.

“Hi,  Ana.”  He said softly.  Ana smiled slightly, guardedly.  She hadn’t seen him since he brought her home from the basketball game.

“Hey.” 

“Is…it okay if I hold her?”  He asked, looking down at the small child who had her arms outstretched to him.

“Just be careful of the IV.”  Kris smiled and picked up the little girl who immediately snuggled against him, tiny fingers clinging to his t-shirt. 

Ana had thought she knew Kris.  Luhan had been bringing him home since middle school.  By association, she knew his favorite food, his favorite color, and his favorite sport.  Although she had seen less of him since they graduated high school, she still saw him fairly often. 

So how could she be so shocked to learn he was the guardian of her two-year-old patient?

Her mind froze suddenly as she realized he hadn’t been by the house as regularly in the past two years.

Ana’s mind was spinning. 

Ana watched Kris readjust the child’s clothing as she wheeled the IV pole to the corner of the room.

Could Kris really have kid?  Of course she had seen him with various women at parties.  But a baby? 

“Lily…” Kris started, interrupting her thoughts.  “Lily is my sister.”  He searched her eyes from across the hospital crib.  “So don’t get the wrong impression.”  He said quietly. 

Ana felt the blood rush to her face.                     

“Kris…we’re not in the type of relationship were you have to explain this to me.”  He continued to search her eyes.

“I know.  I just wanted you to know.”

Ana smiled softly and smoothed the little girl’s hair before double checking the temperature reading. 

“It would be hard to get custody.”

Ana froze and glanced up.  Through the crack in the door, she could see Kris running his fingers through his hair. 

“I know.”

“It would be different if you were a woman, or even if you were older.  If you were married, it would be a completely different story.” 

“I can’t just let them put her in the system without a fight.  That’s not fair to her.  She shouldn’t have to grow up feeling abandoned.  Xiumin…we both know how that feels.”  He let the conversation lapse for a while before sighing.  “Do I even stand a chance right now?”  He asked softly. 

“Honestly?  Kris, I’m only telling you this because we’re friends.  Get married.  Soon.  Then you at least have a shot.”