Someone Like You

Collide

“Good game, guys!” 

“See you later.”

“Bye!”

“Goodnight!”

Luhan raised his eyebrows, making eye contact with Kris from across the court and nodding toward Ana who was sitting on the bleachers tying her shoes.  He slipped away before Kris could even shake his head in panic. 

Kris heaved and inward groan and made his way over to Ana as everyone else drifted home. 

She nodded to him, acknowledging his presence.  “Hey.”

“Hey.”  He sat beside her on the bleacher seats.  “Did you have fun?”  She nodded and smiled.

“Yeah.  It’s been a long time since I got to play.  I’m glad I tagged along.”

Me too.  “You’re pretty good.  I’m always surprised when you play with us.”

“Oh?”  Ana laughed.  “Because I’m a girl?”  Kris laughed, enjoying the rare atmosphere of camaraderie that had developed between them during their game time as teammates.

“Yeah…for a shorty, you’ve got ups.  And I thought Luhan was the twin with the athletic genes.” 

“Yeah, well…I had to outshine Luhan somehow…it kinda for a girl when her brother is prettier than she is.”

“…Luhan is not prettier than you.”  Kris said quietly after a beat of silence.  The genuine, low tone of his voice and his meaningful look sent shivers down her spine and a mix of emotions crossed her face before she stood and started to walk away.  Kris stood and followed her.

 “Ana…wait.” 

“Kris, I don’t appreciate being played with.”

He frowned and spun her around by the waist.  Her back was now firmly pressed against the foam-covered pole of the basketball hoop. 

“Kris, what the h-”

“…I’m not playing with you, Ana.”  He said quietly in an even voice.  “I like you.”

“You don’t even know me.”

“But I want to.  It’s not like I’m asking you to marry me, Ana.  I’m saying I like you.  I’m just asking for a date.  One date.”  Ana searched his eyes. 

“No.”  She whispered.  She frowned at him.  “And do you mind?”  She growled softly, pushing at the arm that caged her against the pole.  He stepped back slowly.  She felt a tinge of guilt when she saw the brief, crest-fallen expression he quickly replaced with his nonchalant, default frown. 

She suppressed the nagging feeling in her gut and stalked away from him.

“Do you really hate me that much?”  He asked softly to her turned back.  She froze mid-step.  “…Or are you scared that I’ll hurt you?”  She turned and glared at him. 

“Kris, I am not having this discussion with you right now.  I am going home.  I need to make dinner.”  He sighed and handed her a helmet.  She stared at it.  He pushed it into her hands.

“Come on, Ana.  It’s getting late.  Luhan would kill me if I let you walk home alone in the dark.  It isn’t safe.” 

“Well he should have thought of that when he took off without me tonight.”  She snapped.  Kris shook his head calmly. 

“Don’t been unreasonable, Ana.  Let me take you home.”  She hesitated but took the helmet. 

He offered a small, hesitant smile and nodded toward his motorbike. 

“Thanks.”  Ana said curtly, handing Kris the helmet and walking toward the house, past Luhan who was sitting on the front steps.  Luhan raised his eyebrows at Kris and stood, jogging to the bike. 

“I take it it didn’t go well.”  Kris frowned at him.

“What do you think, Genius?  Thanks for throwing me under the bus.”  Luhan smiled.

“Why do you like that kid, Kris?  I’m thankful but she’s harsh.”  Kris shrugged.

“It’s…um…kinda awkward to talk to you about your sister like this.”  Luhan chuckled.

“Stay for dinner?”

“I would, but Ana may poison my food…so I think I’ll pass tonight.”  Luhan patted his friend’s shoulder. 

“Don’t give up!  Persistence is everything, my friend.”  Kris grunted and shook his head at his friend’s limitless optimism, swinging his leg back over his bike. 

“We’ll see.”  I’m not sure how much more my ego can take.

***

“Why do you dislike him so much?”  Luhan asked, fixing his already flawless hair in the mirror.

“Why do you like him so much?”  Ana fired back, her voice venomous.  He turned and made a face at her before sitting beside her on the bed.

“No, really.  You’re never so harsh to anyone else.  What don’t you like about him?  Kris…he’s a really great guy.”

“Are you kidding me?  I’ve seen how he parties.  I know he doesn’t stay with one woman long.”  Luhan sighed.

“Seriously?  How many times have you actually seen him at a party or club? How many parties have you been to period, Little-Miss-Workaholic?”  Luhan sighed when his queries were met with silence.  “Just…don’t judge him so harshly.  You don’t even know him.”

“Exactly.  So why would I trust him with my heart?”  She whispered. 

“So you’re scared you might fall for him?”  Ana ignored him but Luhan knew her well enough to notice her back stiffen and enough to know he had hit a hole in her armor.  A slow smile spread over his face.  “You like him.”  She turned to swat at him.  He dodged her easily.  “You’re attracted to him.”

“I don’t know.”  She snapped.

“I can’t believe you like him.”  Her brother stared at her in awe.  “My other half has been holding out on me!  When did this happen?” 

“Just shut up, Luhan.  Please…don’t say anything to him.”  He chuckled and patted her head. 

“It’s none of my business.  But if it makes a difference…I think Kris is a guy worth liking…and trusting.”

“You’re saying you want me to date him?”  Luhan paused and regarded her seriously for a moment.

“I’m saying of the guys who could have asked you out…I like him best for you.  ...And he could use someone like you.”  She sniffed.

“I don’t want to be used.” 

“Tsk.  You know what I mean.  ...And you could use a guy like him too.”