| opened eyes

War Summoner

 

Haerin sighed, rubbing her temples as heaved a heavy sigh of distress. She's been on duty for around 12 hours, excluding lunch, and she could start herself slowly starting to get slightly groggy from the tiredness.

"Coffee?" A hot cup appeared before her as she secretly mumbled a thanks to god for the treat made in heaven. Daehyun chuckled slightly as Haerin eagerly snatched away then coffee cup before taking a sip, allowing the caffeine to wake her up. "Someone's nice. You thank god yet not the person who actually brought you the drink."

Haerin stuck her tongue out at the latter - something quite childish for her to be doing at this age - as Daehyun chuckled lowly before taking a look at the stacks of paperwork piled on top her her mahogany colored desk. "Seems like a night shift for someone today." He commented, a hint of tease in his voice as Haerin groaned at the mention of the pile of work left waiting for her to complete. "Don't even remind me."

The male chuckled at her words before picking up a slip of paper from the pile, eyes scanning through the printed words. “Still on this case?” He asked as Haerin snatched the paper out from his hands, taking a look at it before nodding in response. “Yeah. Faster we can find out how did this happen to the three of them, faster we can take that person out to justice.” The female commented, speaking of the recent murder of the family of three.

Daehyun, who had been her partner for merely only a month, had taken notice towards Haerin’s passion in her job. She wasn’t merely just a cop as the title labeled her as - he could sense she was something far more than that. That undying desire to bring people to justice and wanting to make this society a better place, the male admired her for that, for it’s not just anyone that could possess that type of character.

Sensing a pair of eyes on her, Haerin looked at her male partner, which her senses proved right as she caught him staring at her with these eyes that she couldn’t clearly make out the emotions hidden within them. Raising an eyebrow, she shot Daehyun a look to ask why he was staring at her that way. The male only chuckled in response before casually leaning back on the office table, hands propped up along the edge to support his weight.

“Say, why are you always so eager and, I can’t really find the right words, almost like a really strong feeling of wanting to find the guilty party in these cases that was sent to us?” Haerin was slightly taken aback by his question, but kept a cool posture never the less.

“I’m a cop aren’t I?” she casually stated, shrugging her arms as Daehyun shot her a look which she once again, couldn’t really interpret the meaning of. “As a cop, I’m just doing my job.”

Daehyun shook his head at her answer before attempting to actually pull a more detailed and honest answer out of her. "I can sense you're not just the regular labeled cop. There's something more to that."

Haerin chuckled slightly before placing down her pen and took another sip of her coffee. Daehyun raised his eyebrow, asking for the reason behind her amused chuckle. "So is there a something behind it?"

"I don't know, is there?" Her words had a slight tease on the edge and the male laughed knowing the girl wouldn't give him an answer anytime soon.

“Well,” Daehyun did a slight stretch before grabbing a heavy pack of paperwork sitting on top of Haerin’s desk. “I’ll be going now.” Seeing the look of confusion written across the girl’s features, Daehyun couldn’t help but chuckle again. “What? You thought I was planning to leave all this work for you to finish by yourself? I’m not called your partner for nothing.”

Hauling the stack of work back to his desk, the male didn’t forget to send her a message that caused the girl to break out into a smile and shake her head at his behavior. “You owe me a treat of ice cream for this!”

A sigh escaped from her lips again for the thousandth time that day as she looked back to the pile of paperwork sitting there in front of her. It’s not that she didn’t want to finish them - god knows how much she wants to bring the guilty to justice - but a certain thought just seemed to be running through her mind these days.

All of this, is it really worth it? The criminals are brought to justice and thrown into jail for who knows how long, but what’s done is already done. The victim was now dead and though the people all clearly see all these court cases and crime scenes, they do nothing about it. Even though the law is placed upon the people and the citizens follow it, it’s as if their eyes were completely blinded when it comes to the crime in this society.

No matter how many murder cases happen, no matter how many more people get killed, no matter how many people are brought to justice, everyone would still stay the same. Because supposedly, ignorance is bliss.

But it’s that same ignorance that causes society’s downfall.

Rubbing her temples, the female heaved another heavy sigh before returning to work. It was sure to be a long night.

 

 

The sound of a pair of footsteps were the only thing to be heard in the night as Haerin made her way back home, the heels of her shoes coming in contact with the concrete sidewalk. A few lamp posts were lighting her way in the night as the sounds of the leaves on trees rustled in the wind.

It was nearly two am now and the girl was quite tired from the work she had finished and the idea of laying on her comfy bed was extremely inviting for the female. Daehyun had headed home around the same time as her, offering her a ride to which the girl had kindly refused despite her tiredness and the current time.

Haerin prefered the idea of walking at night for she could see if anything bad was happening in the neighborhood. And it just so happened that walking was a good idea today as she heard a loud grunt followed along with some whimpers of pain.

Sensing something was wrong, Haerin hurried towards the direction of the noise to arrive at a dark alley. At the end, she could see a man getting beaten up by some people which she could only recognize as males due to the amount of distance between them.

“Stop!” Upon hearing the command, the males scurried off, yet one of them stayed, eyes staring upon Haerin’s figure. She stormed towards the male, who surprisingly, acted quite calm about being caught. “What are you doing?”

“Are you blind or are you just purely dumb?” A boy - which she recognized to be the teenage boy from earlier this morning - spoke up as she narrowed her eyes at him. “That’s no way to speak to me.”

“Just because what? You’re a cop?”

“So what if I’m a cop.”

His eyes furrowed as he looked at her with a look she couldn’t really comprehend. His brown orbs were filled with a storm of what looked like a mixture of frustration or anger. “I despise them.”

Haerin almost scoffed at his answer. “Why? Because we bring you out to justice?”

“No, because you bring nothing to justice.”

The female was taken aback at his answer. His voice gave off such a hard edge that made it impossible to the girl to not feel as if she had been stabbed right in the heart.

“Taeri was right. You’re just like all of them. You’re all the same.” He spat as the girl stared at him in shock, mouth not being able to form any words. “ You’re not doing any good to society like this. All of this police nonsense, what exactly do we get from this. The people are still turning their blind eye to the dark side in the society.”

He walked away, passing her as his last words left the girl something to remember.

“If you were serious about saving this hell of a society, then force them to truly open their eyes to this world.”

With those words, he disappeared into the night and Haerin was not surprised at herself for not even attempting to chase after him. Because it was useless.

Bring all these people to justice was useless. Ever since young, she had wanted to become a hero who could save and restore this society, but yet she had not been satisfied about being a cop. That pride wasn’t there because she hadn’t been able to do anything to bring warning to this world and it’s people.

She was there doing her best to stop the bad things in the world from happening when in return, all she got was just the continuous ignorance of the people.

A sudden feeling took over her as her eyes shined darkly as the thoughts flowed throughout her head.

She’ll force them to open their eyes to this black and white world. She’ll drive them into pure darkness, drawing the cries out from their mouths and have them suffer just like how they have left the weak to. She was determined to make them open their eyes to this dark side of society.

 

Even if she had to become the criminal herself.

 


Author's note: I skipped an update last week but hey I have a good reason lol.  Too caught up in the planning of this story since I have so much more for you guys. I'm surprised at the amount of people who took interest in the story (hey 23 is a lot to me alright) so thank you. I'm glad that I'll be able to get a message of society across to a lot of you. 

Comments make me really happy so I would appreciate them. Happy reading!