Meeting

Imperfectly Perfect
Nia's Pov

"Nia? Will you please demonstrate to the class the proper way to use a Bunsen burner?" The professor asked. I looked around the room nervously and nodded. I began showing the class how to use it without talking or looking up at anyone. "Nia. You have to be in the front of the class and please remember to vocally explain what you're doing." The professor said with an encouraging smile. I sighed then slowly walked to the front of the class and faced them. I could see a few people look at me and laugh while others waited for me to talk. I took a deep breath and smiled. "This is the Bunsen burner. The proper way to use it is like this." I showed them the right way. "Never do this, or you might harm yourself or others." I said as I showed them the improper way to use it. I turned off the burner and looked at my professor who was clapping loudly. "Thank you for that wonderful information Nia. You can have a seat." She told me then went back to teaching.

"So what she knows how to use a burner. How else do you think she got fat?" A group of girls whispered loudly as I walked by. I rolled my eyes and continued to my seat but my resolve was slowly fading away as I heard more nasty comments about my weight and accent. "Did anyone understand her? I swear Jamaicans aren't speaking English" someone asked loudly. "Nah, I just watched what she was doing. Way easier than trying to translate." Someone else answered back. 'Don't let them see you cry Nia. Don't you ing dare.' I chided myself and straightened up when I got to my seat. I felt a pair of eyes on me and groaned. "What?" I snapped and turned to see a cute guy beside me. I frowned because I noticed he wasn't there before. "I liked your demonstration. It was nice." He smiled. "Thanks." I said turning back to the board. "So how did you learn the right way to use it? I've been in science classes for a long time and I still use it wrong. Do you cook with it often?" He laughed. "Mmhm. Very funny." I growled and began packing up my books. "What's funny?" He asked confused. "Do I cook with it often? Seriously, I've heard better fat jokes from a mime." I laughed without humor and walked out of the class, ignoring the snickering and the professor's worried look.

"Wait!" A male voice called out from behind me. I sighed again and hoisted my bag on my shoulder more and kept moving. I heard a low '' come out of his mouth then the tell tale sounds of sneakers hitting the linoleum. He ran in front of me with a loud squeak from his shoes and held on to my shoulders. "Wait. A. Second." He panted on my face. "What do you want?" I asked annoyed. "Why did you think I was picking on you?" He asked after he calmed down. "You asked the fat girl if she uses stoves often. Sounds like a fat joke to me." I said flatly. He looked at me weirdly and let out a soft laugh. "I didn't intend for it to sound that way. Believe me. I've never even told a fat joke before or laughed at one." He smiled. "Because you used to be fat an all the sudden puberty hits and you're this god." I deadpanned.

"You think I'm y?" He smirked. "What?" I rolled my eyes and glared at him. " god. Your words, not mine." He laughed. 'Ugh, he's so ing happy. Its annoying' I thought and sidestepped him. "Wait! Maybe we can try again? Hi, I'm Jung Daehyun. Would you like to go on a date with me?" He walked alongside me and held out his hand. "No and your first name is Jung?" I rose a brow but ignored his offered hand. "Nah, its Daehyun but where I'm from, last names are said first." He laughed again. "Come on Nia. I like you. You're fun." He bumped my shoulder playfully. "You don't know me so how can you like me?" I squinted my eyes at him. "I know that I like you." He laughed. "Will you stop laughing! Its creepy." I snapped. There was an awkward silence then he cleared his throat. "Do you need a cough drop or something?" I said rudely. "Nooo. I'm waiting for you to tell me your name. Its customary ya know." He shrugged. "Its Nia." I told him as I neared my car. "Nia..?" He trailed off playfully. "Just Nia. You don't need to know my last name." I put my stuff into my car then grabbed my other books for my next class.

"Why not?" He pouted. "Because I don't know you. You could be a serial killer." I pointed out. "Or I could be just really interested in a pretty girl from my Chemistry class." He retorted with a smile. "I'm betting on the serial killer thing." I gave him a fake smile and walked around him. He continued to follow me and ask questions that I would ignore. "Stop following me! That's a form of harassment Jung." I snapped. He rolled his eyes and looked at me like I was slow. "Just give me a chance Nia." He begged. "No." I said sternly. "It's because I'm not pale right? I'm a country boy, we all have tans." He said as he looked at his slightly browned skin. "Are you being serious right now?" I asked incredibly stumped. "Yeah, I'm this color year round. Why would I lie?" He frowned. "Know what? Goodbye Daehyun." I shook my head as I walked into my class. "See ya tomorrow Nia." He said back and walked away whistling.

*Not sure how I feel about this yet but I felt the need to post it now.*