The Promise

Because of You

"IU hurry up! I'm really excited to see mom. I have so many stories to tell her. " Suzy shouted at her through the bathroom door.

"Ok. Ok. I'm done. Sheesh! It would still be alright if we're a bit late you know?" IU said as she wiped herself with a towel.

"But! I really want to go! Pali!"

The only time that Suzy is early is when they're visiting her mother.


*/Flashback to 12 years ago*/

"Eomma, why are we here?"

"We're visiting my sister."

"Aunt Mina?"

"Yes!"

" Why don't you go ahead inside and play with your cousin Suzy."

"I don't want to. I want to stay with you."

"Now, now IU, don't be stubborn. Me and your aunt Mina have some adult stuff to talk about."

"But…"

"Don't test my patience IU. Go! "

IU walked sulkily to where Suzy was.

Meanwhile IU's mom went to the kitchen where Mina was preparing some tea for them.

"How long will you be gone?" Mina asked as she sat down in front of Sunmi.

"To be honest, I don't know. It's just a really great opportunity. It would be foolish of me to pass it up." Sunmi looked down to her cup of tea. She hasn't drank any of it yet.

"I know, but what about IU? It would be very difficult for her to adjust to a new country. She hardly even knows how to speak English."

"That's actually the reason why I came here."

"What do you mean?"

"Can IU stay here with you while I'm gone?"

"Sunmi… I don't know… "

"Please Mina, you're my only option. I can't leave IU with Mother, she's already sick and old. I don't want to burden her of taking care of my child."

"How about IU's father?"

"No! That good for nothing son-of-a-! Since he left us, not once did he give anything to support our daughter nor did he bother to pass by the house to see IU. I'm actually running out of excuses to tell IU on why her father is not around anymore. Please Mina. I need to take this job for IU and I to have a better future. It will only be temporarily. Probably, in a just of a few months, I'll be back. And I'll take IU off your hands for good."

"Sunmi, I'm sorry for bringing IU's father up. If the situation were a little different I would gladly take IU no questions asked. It's just that, money is a little tight right now. I have to talk to my husband first."

"Please Mina. I really need this--we really need this favor." Sunmi started crying.

Mina stood up and hugged her sister tightly. "I love you Sunmi. Don't worry. I'll convince Daniel. It's just a few months, I'm sure we can manage."

"Thank you Mina."

"IU what are you doing?" Suzy asked.

IU didn’t answer. She had her ears glued by the wall nearest to where her mom and aunt were sitting.

"Are you eavesdropping?" Suzy persisted.

"I'm not."

"Eomma said eavesdropping to adult conversations is bad."

"I-I'm n- sigh... they're talking about me."

"What are they saying?"

"My mom is leaving." IU said looking teary eyed.

"Where is she going?"

"I don't know. She didn't say. But I might be living with you for a while."

"Yey! We can spend more time together." Suzy said as she hugged IU.
IU tried to wipe her tears as she hugged Suzy back.


IU's 12 now, it's been 5 years and IU is still living with the Bae family. Her mom's career as a Fashion Designer has been quite successful in Europe yet she never went back for IU. She gave money to support IU and called from time to time but IU never really felt her mother's care for her that much. She thinks that she's not really part of her mother's world anymore. In fact, she considers her aunt Mina more as her mother.

 "IU! Suzy! Come down now and eat your breakfast."

"Good morning auntie." IU greeted Mina as she went down the stairs.

"Good morning IU. Where's suzy?"

IU placed her hands under her tilted head and made snoring sounds.

"Aissshh… I'll go wake our sleeping beauty, you go ahead and eat your breakfast. We don't want you guys to be late." Mina said as she walked towards Suzy and IU's room.

Her Aunt Mina has always been great mom both to Suzy and her. She was always such a doting mother. She would be there whenever they needed her. From the moment they wake up, until they go to sleep, she was there. She made sure that both Suzy and IU grew up happy and safe.

IU idolizes her aunt Mina. She sometimes wished that her aunt Mina could just adopt her so that she could have her as her real mom.

Mina went inside Suzy and IU's room. She saw her little princess sleeping so soundly on her bed. She sat beside her and caressed her daughter's face softly as she tried to wake her up. Suzy didn't budge and continued to "sleep". Mina then whispered something into Suzy's ear and immediately thereafter Suzy woke up. She whispered "If you don't wake up now, I'll give your share of bacon to our neighbor's dog."

In the span of a few years, things were looking up for the Bae family. Daniel, Suzy's father was promoted, thus the family is doing better financially. Mina was also very happy to take care of Suzy and IU who were just terrific and extremely smart kids. The two were always on top in their school's ranking. Suzy and IU also enjoyed being together. They were like sisters. All was well and dandy, until that unfortunate day.

"IU, I could not reach Suzy's phone. I'm still finishing a few errands, but I'll surely be there just in time for her recital. Would you be a dear and please take care of Suzy for me? She might not show it but I'm sure she's nervous." Her aunt Mina said over the phone. 

"Sure Auntie, I'll take care of Suzy. I promise." IU said in reply.

"Thanks IU--- I'll be there."

Later that afternoon, the police came to their house. Mina Bae was pronounced dead on arrival after her car was rammed by a truck which breaks had malfunctioned. She didn’t know what to do. It felt so unreal. Suzy went hysterical. She shouted at the policemen to shut up and locked herself inside their room. Her Uncle Daniel was shouting "no" repeatedly as he hit the wall near the door. She couldn't believe it. Her aunt- no her mom is gone. IU fainted.

Everything changed since that incident. The happy Bae family was no longer the same. Daniel took a job opportunity abroad. He could not handle being around things that reminded him of Mina. It was driving him mad. Suzy understands. She loves her dad. She does not want to lose him too. Her dad offered for her to go with him, but Suzy refused. Despite being extremely sad with what happened, she told her dad she was not ready to leave yet. IU and Suzy moved into a dormitory inside their High School and subsequently into their own apartment upon starting College. IU since then took care of Suzy, as she had promise her Aunt Mina.


"Eomma! We're here!" Suzy skipped towards her mother's tombstone. She placed the flowers that she brought on top and sat down beside the tombstone. "I brought your favorite flower eomma-- peonies."

IU sat beside Suzy. "Hello aunt Mina. Suzy here has been very excited to see you. I think its because she has a new suitor."

Suzy nudged IU on her stomach. "Ani. Don't listen to her! She's the one who has a new romantic interest."

"Yah! I'm not the one who've just received an enormous gift basket in class." IU retorted.

They continued their "conversation" until it was finally time to go.

"Eomma I really miss you but nevertheless, I don't want you to worry about me. Everything's great. IU and I are having a blast in College. It's just that sometimes I wish you are still with us, you know, to experience See you again next week Eomma. I love you." Suzy said as she wiped a tear on her face. She stood up and walked away.

"I miss you everyday. Don't worry Aunt Mina. I'm trying my best to fulfill my promise to you." IU said before she left.