하나

Angel

The cold air the winter brought blew again. Yoonhee pursued her lips together as she changed her sitting position on the park’s bench. Children laughing, playing together with their families. Couples walking together. The girl smiled to herself as she imagined how her life would be if her parents are still alive.

Yoonhee had a different childhood from the rest. Her parents’ death was a mystery; well at least, to others. She was the only one who exactly saw what happened. Being the young girl she was, she was so traumatized witnessing her parents’ death and didn’t told anyone the story; not even her brother, Kim Jongdae.

“Yah lechi!” Jongdae yelled her sister’s nickname and panted heavily as soon as he reached where his sister sat down. “Are you crazy?! It’s winter and your clothes are so thin!”

Yoonhee chuckled at her brother’s over-protectiveness. “You know what oppa, sometimes you really should stop being too protective of me.”

“And how can I stop when you can’t take care of yourself?” The elder one started ruffling her hair and put the jacket on for her.

“Oppa, I’m fourteen already!” she pouted, receiving a light smack on her head from Jongdae.

“Fourteen is still a young age. And because it’s still young, you’re still young.” he mehrong-ed Yoonhee and sat beside her. “Whatever, brat.” Yoonhee mumbled but loud enough for Jongdae to hear it.

“Yah I’m older than you!!” he smacked her head lightly again.

“My name is also not lechi! And because you keep calling me lechi, I also have the rights to call you a brat!” This time, Yoonhee mehrong-ed him and smirked in victory.

“Lechi let’s go get ice creams!”

Grabbing the younger’s wrist, the childish-ness of Kim Jongdae started to appear. Just like a 5-year old kid Jongdae ran across the roads, getting to the ice cream shop while pulling his sister’s wrist.

“Oppa you could’ve made me die!” This time, Yoonhe was the one who smacked her brother’s head.

“Stop being so noisy, just choose the flavor!” he returned the smack, but then earning a kick on his legs from Yoonhee. “Take that, brat.” Again, Yoonhee smirked in victory before finally choosing the flavor she wanted.

 

Yoonhee laid herself on the sofa as soon as they reached home. She indeed was so exhausted, following her childish brother running all around while pulling her. Smiling to herself, she imagined again how if mom had already prepared food for them as soon as they reached home.

“Stop day-dreaming and get your up for dinner chi!” Jongdae yelled from the kitchen.

“You seriously should cook instead of me. I mean, look at us! You’re the girl!”

“And you’re older so you gotta cook!” Yoonhee mehrong-ed her brother again and smirked in victory as she saw his eyes rolling, ignoring her last statement.

“Anyway is this a new menu? Never tasted this from you.”

“Mhmmm, Kyungsoo just taught me earlier last Monday. Nice, isn’t it?” he tapped his chin, waiting for a reply.

“I bet Kyungsoo’s better than yours.”

“Yah! Be grateful that I still cook for you!” This time, instead of smacking her head, Jongdae flicked her forehead, leaving a red mark on it.

“Yah it hurts!” she ran up to Jongdae and pinched him hard. “Lechi stop it!!” he yelled, while trying to get Yoonhee’s hand off his right arm. Yoonhee lifted her hand and revealed the small bruise she just made on her brother’s arm. “Serve that right, brat.”

“Whatever.” Jongdae rolled his eyes and continued with dinner.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

As Yoonhee entered the school gates, she went back to the loner she is. Nobody knew why; not even Jongdae. Because if someone knew why, then it won’t be Yoonhee. Kim Yoonhee IS mysterious.

The bell rang. Students scampered into class; well not all, but most of them, yes. Yoonhee rolled her eyes and walked calmly to her own class, 9.01.

“Good morning class. Workbook page 102-120 in 1 hour. You can pair up.”

And that’s Mr. Jang. Everyone got used to him not teaching in class so they just paired themselves up and do the assigned tasked. Nobody had ever wanted to pair up with Yoonhee. Nobody. They thought she was a weirdo, freak, , , and everything similar to it.

30 minutes passed, a student raised her hand, “I’m done.” Heck yeah, everyone got used of this situation. Yoonhee being the first to finish, perfect marks and all the rest.

 

 

The number you are calling is unavailable. Please leave your message after the beep.

BEEP.

“Hey mom, I got perfect again for the assignments. Me and oppa didn’t got along at school because I just don’t want to do so; he’s a kingka and I’m a nerd and freak; well at least, to them I am. I miss you so much mom.”

 

The number you are calling is unavailable. Please leave your message after the beep.

BEEP.

“Hey dad, it’s winter again and the snow is so cold, just like me. I miss you so much, when can you come back?”

Yoonhee sighed for the God-knows-how-many-times. She knew they won’t answer, she knew they won’t come back. But she can’t help it; she misses them so much.

“Hey.”

The girl’s quick reflexes made her turn back immediately. “J-jongdae?” while lifting a brow.

“I know chi, I know you miss them. Don’t you think I miss them too?”

However the younger one, instead of replying properly, “Yah are you crazy?! What if your creepy fangirls found us like this?! Aishhh get out now!! Not now oppa!” she half-whispered, at the same time trying to push Jongdae away from her.

“Why are you avoiding me at school chi? We could’ve told everyone that we’re siblings..” Jongdae whispered softly as Yoonhee walked away from him. However, Yoonhee’s sharp ears heard what he said and replied back softer, “Because we just can’t.”

 

 

“Hey I’m not going to be home until midnight, anything you need?”

“I don’t think I do.”

 “You sure?”

“Mhmm, don’t worry.”

“Arasso, just don’t get yourself too tired or what. I’ll be seeing you later. Bye lechi!”

 

As she entered her room, Yoonhee took the photo frame beside her bed and hugged it tight,

"I'm only 5 when you guys need to die in front of me." 

Yoonhee smiled bitterly and sighed to herself.

 

The number you are calling is unavailable. Please leave your message after the beep.

BEEP.

"Mom you gave birth to an awesome boy. He's working now, to supply our lives. How awesome is he? He's so strong, he's so wise. He's a perfect role model. And he has that cute dimples, just like you. I wish you were still here to see him. But you can see him from above, right? I love you mom, please protect oppa from above."

 

The number you are calling is unavailable. Please leave your message after the beep.

BEEP.

"Hey dad, please watch over oppa from above while he's working. And when he gets home too. It'd be late when he's coming back home; what if there are robbers and things like that? What if his creepy fangirls stalked him all day? I love you dad, please protect that awesome boy of yours."

 

The girl chuckled bitterly and rubbed her hands together, placing it on her cold cheeks. "Right, I forgot about the heater. Haha." she tried laughing but she just can't. It was too painful for a girl like her. 

 

[01:03]

"I'll be home in 5 minutes, you there?"

"Mhmm, don't worry. I'm still wide awake."

"Wait for me!"

"Yeah whatever, brat."

 

Jongdae chuckled at her sister's cuteness. After bidding goodbyes with the workers, he took his bag and rushed back home, right into Yoonhee's room. "Hey!" he yelld, kicking the door wide open.

"Yah, quick close the door!" she wailed while trying to get herself up.

"Pshh, so noisy." Jongdae rolled her eyes and sat on the bed too, beside his sister.

"What now?" Yoonhee too, rolled her eyes and put her glasses on.

"Why should we keep it a secret? The sibling thingy."

"So you actually banged my door open only to ask this? Ugh I hate you brat."

"Yah answer me!"

Yoonhee took a deep breath before replying, "Because we just can't."

"And why is that?"

"Because we just can't, oppa! We can't! Do you want me to die?!"

Silence was in the room for the next 5 minutes. Complete silence. Only the AC's soft sound and the crickets from outside.

"Get back to your room, we still have school tomorrow." Yoonhee took off her glasses and laid back on her back. "I'm going to sleep, good night brat, I love stars."

"And I love the moon. Good night too, lechi." Jongdae closed the door softly, Yoonhee off to dreamland.

"You're a kingka and I'm a nerd, oppa." she mumbled before closing her eyes.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

“KIM YOONHEEEEEEEEEE!!!”

Jongdae yelled in anger as he saw the messed up kitchen. “What’s with all this mess?!”

Yoonhee looked down, not daring herself to look straight into her brother’s eyes.

“Answer me!” Jongdae snapped.

“O- T- I-I-I w-was try-tr-trying to make breakfast for umm.. you?”

“I could’ve co-”

“But I want to do it. I want to try make you proud. I thought I could just.. I thought... Aishh nevermind! I always fail. I thought I could succeed this one time but I didn’t. I failed.” Yoonhee sighed and walked away in defeat.

“Sorry oppa.” she mumbled while closing the kitchen door.

 

 

 

UPDATED: 13082013 16:11

First chapter is up!^^ Tell me your thoughts <3