Three

Confinement Room

The sun shone brightly through the open window, cool air blowing through. Donghae groaned, pulling the blanket over his head in attempt to shut out the light. His hopes however, were completely ruined when the large blanket was ripped off of his body. Grimacing as the light hit his closed eyelids, he reached for a pillow and threw it over his face.

“Yah! Lee Donghae! You'd better get up now, or else I'll take away all of your stuffies!” Sungmin threatened, shaking the boy to bring him out of his sleepiness.

Immediately after hearing those words, the brunet shot straight up in bed, his eyes wide.

“You wouldn't!” Donghae shouted, fearing for his precious stuffed animals.

“Oh you know I would.” Sungmin chuckled evilly and strut out of the room, throwing his arms in the air as  he did so. “Now hurry and get dressed, we are so not being late on the first day of school!”

Donghae groaned and flew back down to his bed, grabbing a pillow and screaming into it. After a minute of telling himself that it would be alright and he should just get up and get it over with, he finally swung his legs over the side of the bed. He rubbed his eyes, slowly opening them and letting them adjust to the light.

The brunet made his way to the bathroom, turning the shower on. He let the warm water run down his body, his hair hanging in front of his eyes. Donghae sighed, trying to focus on cleaning himself, rather than the thoughts that would surface as soon as he let his guard down. Stepping out of the shower, he quickly dried off and went back to his room, standing in front of his wardrobe and deciding what he should wear.

“You'd better wear the clothes I bought you yesterday!” Sungmin shouted from the kitchen, as if knowing what his roommate was doing at that very moment.

Donghae chuckled, smiling at his friend's behaviour. He walked towards his door, bending over and picking up the many bags of clothing from yesterday. Dumping the contents on his bed, he carefully picked out a pair of dark skinny jeans, a blue long sleeved shirt, and a – regretfully – colourful hoodie. Discarding his towel on the floor, he grabbed a pair of boxers and put his clothes on, frowning at how loose the jeans felt on his waist. Maybe I need a belt? He wondered, his frown deepening as he could usually fit into that size of jeans.

After picking up his backpack, he threw in a few textbooks, a pencil case, and his gym clothes. Walked down the stairs, he was met with a brightly smiling bunny, holding up a plate of buttered toast.

“Sit, sit.” Sungmin ushered Donghae to the island in the kitchen, sitting down next to him on one of the stools. Placing the food in front of Donghae, he added, “Now hurry up and eat this quickly. I don't want to be late for school.”

“If you didn't want to be late, then why don't we leave now?” He asked, reluctantly picking up a slice of toast and biting down on it.

“Because you haven't been eating well ever since...” The black haired male trailed off, seeing that his friend got the message.

Donghae ate in silence, half-listening to what Sungmin was telling him. It was if he was in a trance as they left the house, locking the door behind them. He didn't exactly realize what was happening, hardly even registering as they neared the school gates. He barely responded when Sungmin pulled him to the side, telling him that he was always there for him and he could go to him if he was in trouble. Not even knowing that he had nodded and said he would be fine on his own.

Donghae walked with Sungmin to the entrance of the building where students were piling in. They parted ways at their different classrooms, Sungmin leaving first. Walking with his head down, the brunet quietly reached his own homeroom, glancing around for a free seat. Spotting one at the very back by the window, he walked towards it and sat down, placing his backpack on the ground. Donghae stared dejectedly out the window, watching the tree branches blow in the wind.

“...hae! Donghae!” A voice shouted, shocking the boy as he hadn't hear or seen anyone.

That is, until he was being shaken on the shoulders and shouted at loudly. Blinking a few times, Donghae focused his eyes on a figure beside him, seeing a head of red hair and handsome features. After a few seconds, he opened his mouth in realization.

“Zhoumi, it's you.” He said, smiling softly to his new friend.

“Jeez, what an air head.” Zhoumi muttered, pinching Donghae's cheeks. “You're even cute after I have to call you for ten minutes and shake you like that.”

“Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just kinda-”

“Out of it? Spacey?” Zhoumi cut him off, grinning when the brunet nodded sheepishly.

“Just not looking forward to today so much.”

“The first day of school for everyone, don't worry.”

“Then why do you seem so fine?”

“Because I'm fabulous darling.”

Donghae laughed and punched Zhoumi playfully on the arm. They were laughing to each other just when the teacher walked in and the room became silent. Everyone quickly ran to their seats, shuffling around as the teacher looked sternly at them all.

“Let me get some things straight.” The teacher said, “I will be your homeroom teacher for the next year. If you disobey me, break any rules under my supervision, or try any pranks, I will make sure that your last two years here are the worst of your life.”

The class seemed to tense up at the teacher's words.

“But sir, that isn't fair.” A boy spoke up, someone in the middle of the room.

“Of course it is. You break my rules and suffer the consequences. Now let's see,” he placed a finger on his chin, thinking. “since you spoke without raising your hand, or my permission, you are now the captain of cleaning. That means you clean all the class's , chalkboards, floors, desks, chairs, bathrooms, cupboards. Everything.

“What?!” The boy shrieked.

“Don't test me. That punishment was nothing.”

The class was silent, not exactly liking their new teacher.

“So then!” The teacher called, clapping his hands and smiling widely.

“Talk about bipolar.” A girl sitting in front of Donghae muttered. The teacher apparently heard as he sent the girl a deathly glare, effectively shutting her up.

“My name is Kim Heechul, and you just got yourself the teacher from hell!” He shouted excitedly, grinning widely.

The entire class seemed to groan and whine inwardly. Showing their utter despise for the long haired, beautiful, cat like male at the front of the room.

 

“Oh. My. God!” Zhoumi exclaimed, “That Kim Heechul teacher sure is something!” He shouted, although he was quickly muffled by a hand over his mouth.

“Quiet, he might hear you.” A boy warned.

Zhoumi removed the hand from his mouth, glaring.

“And so what if he does? He's not so tough!” Zhoumi declared.

“But if you got into a fight with him, I'm sure that you wouldn't want your fancy clothes getting all messed up when you get beaten.” The boy deadpanned, looking the China man up and down.

“Yah! Who do you think you are?” Zhoumi said, although he smiled smugly that his fashion sense was recognized.

“Kibum.” The boy said.

At the mention of the name, Donghae turned his head to look at the boy. He hadn't been paying any attention earlier, just texting Sungmin about his teacher. When he heard the name though, his head shot up and he looked at the boy.

“Kibummie!” Donghae exclaimed, running and tackling the boy, hugging him tightly.

“Hey there, Hae.” Kibum said, chuckling lightly.

“We're in the same class?” Donghae asked hopefully.

“That's what it looks like.”

“That's great!”

“Someone want to explain this to me?” Zhoumi asked, looking at the two strangely.

“Sorry, Zhoumi this is Kibum, my friend. And Kibum, this is Zhoumi, my friend.” Donghae said, motioning to the two.

“Good to meet you.” Kibum said, smiling and stretching his hand out to say hello.

“Yeah, you too.” Zhoumi muttered, slightly unsure of the new boy.

After their greetings were over, the three of them made their way to the library where they sat down for a few minutes until their next class started.

“Hae,” Kibum called, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder.

As if knowing what he was about to say, Donghae's smile dropped and he shrugged the hand off. “Don't, Bummie.” He warned.

“Are you alright?” Kibum asked anyway.

“I'm perfectly fine.”

“You don't look fine. You're way too skinny and pale. You don't seem fine.”

“Well, I am.”

“What happened with-”

“Don't you dare start with this.” Donghae cut him off, looking at him with warning eyes.

“I just am trying to be your friend. You can't keep like this after what he did to you.”

“Please,” Donghae started, his voice strained. “just don't mention him. J-just-just don't, Bummie.”

With that, the brunet stood up and grabbed his bag, walking out of the library with his head hung low. Probably because he didn't want anyone to see the tears that threatened to fall.

“What the was that?” Zhoumi asked, watching as his friend left.

Kibum sighed, almost regretting bringing the subject up.

“Are you new here?” Kibum asked instead of answering.

“Yeah, I transferred.”

“That's good. He needs someone to be his friend. Someone who doesn't know about this.”

“About what?”

“It's not right for me to go around telling people.”

Kibum stood up, taking his bag as he walked out of the library.

“It was nice meeting you, Zhoumi.” Kibum said, smiling as he left.

Zhoumi was left alone at their table, with a what-the- kind of look over his features.

 

“I think this school year will be pretty exciting.” The principal announced to himself.

“And why do you think that?” Heechul asked, sighing as the chubby man in front of him said this every year.

“Call it a gut feeling.” The large man chuckled.

“I don't know about your gut, but your stomach is usually right. Especially when it comes to food.” Heechul said, smirking when the principal shot him an angry look. “Maybe we're getting really good items on the lunch menu?”

“Yah! How dare you talk to me like that during school hours?”

“Calm down, Shindong. It's all good.” Heechul snickered.

Just as Shindong was about to retort back, there was a knock at the door. A pretty woman opened the door slightly, bowing and then looking at the two of the men.

“A Lee Hyukjae is here.” The woman said.

“My name is Eunhyuk...” A male's voice mumbled from the other side of the door.

“He was shoving first years into lockers.” She said.

“Bring him in.” Shindong told her, to which she obliged, opening the door to let a platinum blonde haired boy inside.

“First day of school, and you're already getting in trouble?” Shindong said.

“It's what I do best.” The boy said.

“That it is.” Shindong laughed loudly.

“So, what's my punishment?” The blonde sighed, fixing his leather jacket.

“Detention for the week.” Shindong said.

“Obviously.” He muttered, not even upset about it, and turned around to leave.

“Before you go,” Heechul started, “what are your intentions with Lee Donghae?”

Hyukjae stopped his tracks, his hand tightening around the door handle.

“What has he to do with that boy?” Shindong asked.

“I heard a rumour saying that he was asking a first year what he was doing with Lee Donghae yesterday. Obviously before shoving him and his friends in a locker. I am only curious.”

“I don't see why it's such a concern of yours.” The principal sighed, leaning back in his chair.

“It's fine, I'll answer Mr. Kim.” Hyukjae said, turning around and smirking evilly. “My only intention with that boy, is to repay him for everything he's done to me.”