Chapter 2

Look Into My Eyes


It was the next morning. Jiyoung and Gyuri were already awake, sitting in the kitchen and eating their breakfast. Jiyoung found it quite awkward to sit beside her crush who slept with her in one bed. Gyuri was generally dense regarding those things but somehow she sensed her friend being a bit off this morning.


"Are you okay Jiyoung? You seem a bit...I don't know...off? Did something happen?"


That was one of those rare moments where Jiyoung would've loved Gyuri being dense.


"Uhm, not really. I dreamed something weird last night, I'm just thinking about it. Don't worry." Jiyoung explained and gave a reassuring smile.


And with that Gyuri dropped the topic and went back to digging down her food. Jiyoung sighed in relief.


They finished their breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen and went back to Jiyoung's room to get ready and make plans for the day.


"What would you like to do today?" Jiyoung asked while changing her shirt.


"I wanted to visit my mother if that's okay with you."


"Yeah, sure. We can meet up later."


"Meet up later? Jiyoung-ah, I want you to accompany me to the hospital! Silly girl..." Gyuri chuckled.


"Ahh okay, I'm also cool with that."


"Well then, let's get going!"


Jiyoung grabbed her phone and keys and went outside, Gyuri following her. The weather was perfect, the sun was shining and the sky was cloudless. They decided to walk instead of taking the bus, it was the perfect opportunity for Jiyoung to spend more time with her beloved friend and hopefully to get closer. And as if it couldn't get even more perfect, Gyuri grabbed Jiyoung's hand and intertwined them.


They walked hand in hand and Jiyoung couldn't help but blush. She felt all tingly inside her stomach, her smile grew wider and wider.


Is that how couples feel when they walk together holding hands?


They walked together in a peaceful silence but Gyuri decided to break it and start a conversation.


"You know Jiyoung, there was always something I wanted to know."


"What is it? You know you can ask me anything."


"Why are you single? I mean, you are such a pretty and smart girl and I don't get why you're still alone when you could have any boy you wanted."


Because I love you. I just can't bring myself to confess to you.


"Well...to be honest, I just didn't find the right one. And besides, I don't really have the time to date. I'm busy with university and stuff. I'm not really interested in dating a boy right now."


Isn't that what lesbians always say when they're asked why they don't have a boyfriend? 'The right one didn't come' or 'I'm not interested right now', these two phrases were the ones Jiyoung used often when she was asked about dating. It's not like she had another choice, living in a culture where being gay is not acknowledged nor tolerated.


"Are you kidding me? You're not even searching. And you always have time, I mean look at how much time we spend together."


Of course Gyuri wouldn't get the hint.


"Us spending time together is different. We're friends, best friends. I'm just trying to be there for you because you're having a hard time. I don't need boyfriend right now, I'd rather use my free time to support you."


"Now you're making me feel bad. It's like I'm at fault for preventing you from dating." Gyuri pouted.


"That's not what I meant. I didn't say you're preventing me, did I? I love to spend time with you, just being there for you and cheering you up. Like I said, I don't need a boyfriend. I just need you to be happy again."


Gyuri stopped walking and looked at Jiyoung.


"You're being cheesy."


"I'm not being cheesy, I'm honest and serious here."


There was a moment of silence, then Gyuri pulled Jiyoung into her arms, giving her a warm and affectionate hug.


"You don't know how thankful I am to have you in my life Jiyoung-ah. You're the greatest dongsaeng one could ever have."


I'd rather be the greatest girlfriend you could ever have.


Gyuri planted a kiss on Jiyoung's cheek before she let go of her. Jiyoung blushed madly and tried to hide it but Gyuri noticed.


"Oh my god, are you blushing?" she asked, laughing at her blushing friend.


"Of course I'm blushing! You kissed me on the cheek in public, that's embarrassing!"


"We're friends, okay. And friends do give each other kisses. It's not like I was making out with you." Gyuri said, still laughing at Jiyoung.


I wouldn't mind making out with you.


"Whatever. Let's go, your mother is waiting."


With that they continued their way to the hospital.

 



It took them half an hour to reach the hospital. They entered the building, heading straight to the reception. To their surprise the hospital was not bustling with people, it was a rather calm atmosphere.


There was no queue at the reception so Gyuri turned directly to the nurse sitting at the desk.


"Excuse me, I want to visit my mother, Park Sohyun." The nurse looked up shortly, nodded and typed something into the computer.


"Second floor, room 209." the nurse replied shortly. Gyuri thanked her and made her way to the elevator together with Jiyoung. The elevator made its way up rather fast and seconds later, they reached the second floor. The signs indicated which way to go and soon they found the right room, number 209. Gyuri took a deep breath before she softly knocked, paused and carefully opened the door.


Her mother was lying on the bed, her eyes closed and her body covered with a white blanket, only her head and arms were poking out. Gyuri came closer, noticing all the tubes connecting her arms with the infusions.


Jiyoung kept a proper distance, she wanted to give Gyuri and her mother some space and waited beside the door.


Gyuri took a seat next to her mother's bed and softly grabbed her hand, careful to not disturb her peaceful sleep. She didn't knew her mother was already awake and was only resting.


"Gyuri..." her mother whispered weakly.


"Hey mum...how are you feeling?"


"Much better now that you here. Did you come alone?"


"No mum, Jiyoung accompanied me."


Gyuri's mother opened her eyes and looked to the door, spotting Jiyoung standing there.


"Jiyoungie, why are you standing there? Come closer."


Jiyoung made her way to the bed, taking a seat beside Gyuri.


"How are you Jiyoungie? It's been a while since the last time I saw you."


"I'm fine Mrs. Park, University keeps me busy. It was really stressful lately but otherwise I'm doing pretty well."


"Glad to hear that. I wish Gyuri could attend the Uni more regularly but she keeps missing because of me." Mrs. Park replied with a sigh.


"Oh mum, I told you I didn't mind. You and your health are more important than University." Gyuri retorted.


"I know sweetie. I'm really lucky to have such a caring daughter, right Jiyoung?"


"Yeah Mrs. Park, Gyuri is really caring. You don't know how often she helped me."


Gyuri blushed and hit Jiyoung's shoulder.


"Stop it! You helped me more than I helped you even though I'm the unnie."


Mrs. Park watched the two of them bicker and teasing each other, it warmed her heart to see that there was someone who took good care of her daughter when she couldn't. She also noticed the way Jiyoung looked at Gyuri.


Unlike her daughter, Mrs. Park was pretty sharp when it came to understand people's behavior and body language. Call it experience or wisdom that came with the age, Mrs. Park could see how much Jiyoung adored Gyuri and it was not only in a sisterly way. It was love.


"Gyuri darling, I'm thirsty and the bottle of water is empty. Would you kindly get me a new one?"


"Of course mum. I'll be back soon." Gyuri grabbed the bottle and left the room.


An awkward silence enveloped the two women left in the room. Mrs. Park didn't want to lose any time so she asked the young girl straight away what was on her mind.


"You like her, don't you?"


"I'm sorry, what?" Jiyoung asked confused.


"You like Gyuri, am I right?" Mrs. Park asked grinning.


"Of course I like her, she's my best friend." Jiyoung answered, smiling nervously.


"That's not what I meant, Jiyoungie. And you know what I actually mean."


Suddenly became really dry and her hands were getting sweaty, she looked down to escape Mrs. Park's expectant gaze.


"I...uhm...well..." Jiyoung was at loss for word. Suddenly she heard Mrs. Park chuckling.


"It's okay Jiyoungie, just tell me. I have no problems with you liking my daughter, don't worry. I'm actually glad to be honest. You're treating Gyuri so well and I'd be more than happy if you two end up together." Mrs. Park explained, smiling at the insecure girl.


"How did you know?" Jiyoung asked, surprised that Mrs. Park noticed it.


"Your eyes gave it away. The way you look at Gyuri...it's full of love and affection and not in a sisterly way. I have to admit, you're pretty good in hiding your body language and you're not letting your behavior tell too much but your eyes are saying a lot."


"Too bad Gyuri is too dense to read my eyes. She's pretty much unaware about my feelings for her. And I'm sure she won't ever realize them, let alone return them." Jiyoung couldn't suppress a frustrated sigh.


"I'm not surprised. Gyuri is an intelligent girl but sometimes really dense regarding certain things...don't lose hope Jiyoungie. I'm sure she will take notice of your feelings for her and she will return them. You just need to keep giving subtle hints. Just stay your sweet and caring self and she's going to fall for you."


"Thanks for the advice Mrs. Park. I really appreciate it. And I hope this conversation stays between us."


"Of course, sweetie. I promise I won't tell anything. Gyuri needs to get the hint herself."


"Thank you Mrs. Park."


Just as the conversation ended, Gyuri entered the room with two bottles of water.


"Sorry, it took me longer than expected to get the water. I got lost while searching for it and I had to ask a nurse to me back." Gyuri explained, then she put down the bottles on the table next to her mother's bed.


"It's okay darling, I had a nice chat with Jiyoungie." Mrs. Park said smiling.


"Oh really? And what did you talk about?"


"Uhm...just trivial stuff, university life...things like that." Jiyoung chuckled nervously.


"Ahh okay...well mum, we have to get going. We still have to get some things done. I'll visit you again tomorrow, okay? Rest more and don't strain yourself too much."


"Alright girls, see you then. Get back home safely."


Gyuri and Jiyoung bid their goodbye's and left the hospital.

 



Both of them decided to part ways and get home by themselves. Gyuri wanted to do some learning for university while Jiyoung also had enough stuff to do for her business course. But she knew she would end up sitting at her desk and only think of Gyuri.


They hugged each other and then made their way home. It was a perfect day for Jiyoung. Who would've thought that she actually gets the blessings from the mother of her crush? Jiyoung was happy that everything went well. God knows it could have ended in a big disaster. But it didn't, so there was something Jiyoung could look forward to.


I'll get you Park Gyuri, no matter how long it takes.