Prologue

Look Into My Eyes


"Kang Jiyoung! Why did you order me to meet up in this Café even though it's raining like hell outside?" a rather unamused Gyuri asked her friend who was awaiting her in the small cozy Café in Hongdae. Jiyoung winced at Gyuri's complaint, she knew that an unamused Gyuri meant nothing good.


"I have to tell you something, please calm down unnie."


With a sigh, Gyuri sat down on the chair across from Jiyoung and gave her a dead serious stare.


"And you couldn't tell me whatever you wanted to tell me on the phone? Jiyoung, you know my mother is sick and I can't leave her like that..." Another sigh escaped Gyuri's lips.


"I'm sorry unnie, but it's really important."


Jiyoung couldn't help but feel bad for asking Gyuri to come because she exactly knew about her mom's condition but she had to do this for the sake of her sanity.


"Well, I'm here now so spill." Gyuri crossed her arms and looked at her expectantly.


You can do this Jiyoung, fighting!


Jiyoung took a deep breathe in to shake off her tension and gathered all her courage and determination.


"Okay...the important thing I wanted to tell you is..." a loud ring interrupted Jiyoung.


"Oh sorry, that's my phone. Let me just check it, maybe it's..." Gyuri fell silent, reading the message she just got.


"Jiyoung-ah I have to leave, my mother needs me immediately. She's getting another injection and you know I have to be with her when she gets them or else she's getting cranky. Let's meet up another time, okay?" She gave her an apologetic smile and stood up.


"It's okay unnie, I understand. See you another time." And with that, Gyuri ran off hurriedly through the heavy rain that kept falling like a never ending waterfall.


After taking a sip of her freshly ordered Latté Jiyoung heaved a loud sigh. She tried to suppress the disappointment of another failed confession because she knew it wasn't Gyuri's fault. Well, partly.


Yes, Jiyoung was crushing on Gyuri really bad since they have known each other. It started off as a simple admiration because Gyuri was such a caring, warm hearted and protective person even though she looked cold and arrogant on the outside but it soon developed into some kind of hopeless and one sided crush.


Jiyoung was two years younger and a freshman at Seoul National University when she first met Gyuri, who was a junior in her third year there.


Back then Jiyoung walked helplessly across the campus without any orientation and ran accidentally into Gyuri. Her default face and cold aura scared Jiyoung and she expected to get slapped from Gyuri but nothing happened. Instead she got helped up and Gyuri's apologetic smile afterwards melted her down like strawberry ice cream in the blazing sun.


But as much as Jiyoung tried to make her crush obvious, it was to no avail thanks to Gyuri's denseness. And probably because Gyuri was as straight as a lamp post.


It was hopeless. The train of thoughts was about to kill any remains of her hope when one realization hit Jiyoung like a slap: a crush is called a crush because in the end, it crushes you after you realize that the romance your dreaming about is never going to happen.


Don't lose hope.

Jiyoung had to tell this herself all the time because she just didn't want to give up, especially for a girl like Gyuri. Her crush was going on for almost one year now and she had no intention to stop anytime soon. Not before Gyuri herself tells her to.


After gulping down the rest of her Latté, Jiyoung paid her drink and left the Café, walking through the heavy rain and bearing the awful weather that perfectly reflected her current mood.