3.

Friends with Benefits

"So, that Minah seems to like you."

You tell yourself it’s just natural to be curious about your best friend’s relationship status, especially since you’ve gotten attached as well, it’s good that he finds someone else too, isn’t it?

 

"Huh?" Kyungsoo gives a light chuckle before answering. "I didn’t notice that… But she’s kinda cute."

 

Kinda cute? Kinda cute?


You suddenly feel a flare of jealousy. 

 


"So you’ll date her?" Struggling to keep your voice leveled, you prompt again.

 

Kyungsoo pauses before looking away from the road to eye you.

 

"You think?"

 

Somehow that brief moment of exchange causes your heart to palpitate and a rush of heat to burst out on your cheeks.

You’re glad his eyes are already back on the road because this isn’t something you want him to see.

 

"It doesn’t matter what I think."

You shrug stiffly.

 

Another moment of silence.

 

“Well, it does because you’re my best friend isn’t it?”

 

For some strange reason, the term “best friend” sounds oddly displaced at this point.

You can only utter a short “Y-Yeah.”

 

 

The car hums as he drives into the part of the street where you live.

 

"And Chanyeol?"

 

You suddenly find yourself turning a bit defensive at the mention of the name.

 

"Yeah? What about him?"

 

"Just… You know, he seems really cool and all but don’t you hate going to these places? Yet his gigs are usually held in discos and pubs…"

 

"It’s alright, I only tag along occasionally."

 

You don’t tell him including today, you’ve only attended his gigs for a grand total of one time, out of the two months you’ve dated.

 

"Oh."

 

The next five minutes back to your house is spent in silence.

When he pulls up, there’s an uncharacteristic pause before he mutters, “Good night.”

 

Usually, before your relationship with Chanyeol, this is the part where he kisses you.

On days when you two are particular chummy, it develops into a full fledged make-out session, two times which ended up in your bed, hot breaths against heated skin.

 

And now that the memories are creeping back to you, you find the air stifling, your heart in stitches and knots.

Half of you wishing this awkwardness between the two of you will disappear, that you two can go back to the times before the whole friends with benefits started, where Kyungsoo is just Kyungsoo with that dumb- smile and sarcastic jokes, not Kyungsoo with tender gazes and expert touches- touches that are honed through the several encounters that goes beyond pure friendship and murky grey territories, that seeks out the most sensitive buttons and knows exactly where and when to press.

 

And half of you wish that now he will press them again, self-hatred filling inside you because

No! You’ve got Chanyeol now and Kyungsoo is just a friend!

 

 

Best friend.

 

But you hate it more when you realize his seat belt is still tightly clasped.

 

"Good night." You breathe and let yourself out.