2.

Friends with Benefits

Chanyeol is a great boyfriend.

He’s tall, handsome, friendly, funny (though he does laugh at his own jokes more than you do)… And most importantly, he makes you feel like you’re important.

 

However, whenever he kisses you, you can’t help but think of how it’d be better if you don’t have to crane your neck so much, that he’ll take your quiet laughs as cue to leave you alone, and when cooking, he can hum a song that’s not some ghetto rap and more of soulful R&B.

When the two of you sit down for a meal, you suddenly miss how the utensils will be neatly laid out for you before you tuck in, ketchup readily squeezed out on the correct spot on your plate.

The text messages that doesn’t end with generic emoticons, but a properly spelled and typed out “Goodnight.”

 

 

So when you accidentally bumped into Kyungsoo on a Friday night at a club, you find yourself ignoring the self-laid rule of not making the first move- to approach your best friend who’s sitting in the corner with two other guys and a girl.

 

Chanyeol is performing at the club tonight, busy rehearsing with his band backstage. You play with the lip of your glass a while before standing up and striding forward.

Kyungsoo is chatting lividly with the ily clad lady (big bosoms, long hair, fair skin, totally his type, you think disturbingly) when you stop in front of them and lets out a (hopefully casual) “Hey.”

 

When he flicks around and notices you, the look in his eyes is somewhat unreadable.

It annoys you even further because you’ve always pride yourself on being able to read your best friend like a book. But then again, the past couple of weeks you’ve been busy dating Chanyeol and sort of neglecting him.

 

You wonder if you’re a bad friend.

 

 

"Hey you." He breaks your line of thoughts with that familiar eye-smile.

The one that you still think of sometimes before you go down to sleep or when Chanyeol’s telling you a joke that’s dripping with sarcasm.

 

Kyungsoo throws names around as you and his friends nod politely at each other.

You don’t quite meet the gaze of the lady’s though.

 

"It’s a surprise to see you here, you don’t usually enjoy these type of settings, especially on a Friday night." He muses, an eyebrow quirking in mock amusement as he leads you to a quieter corner away from his friends.

 

"I don’t. Neither do you." You glare at him, a challenge in your eyes.

 

He shrugs and laughs. “It’s Baek’s birthday.”


It’s the blonde haired guy sitting beside him at the table just now. You only nod.

 

"So, what are you doing here? I’m sure you aren’t alone. Shinae broke up with her boyfriend again?" He glances around for your other best friend who’s forever having the worst luck with relationships. Not that you fare any better.

 

"Nah, Chanyeol’s doing a gig here tonight."

 

At the mention of his name, Kyungsoo’s smile wavers a little. It’s only a flicker, but you notice it anyhow.

 

"Ah… I see. So you guys are meeting up afterwards?"

 

"Probably."

 

_________________

 

 

It turns out that Chanyeol’s having a late night discussion with his band members since one of them suddenly announced that he’s leaving the country soon. You are left to go home on your own.

 

"Sorry babe…" His hands feel warm in yours, touch lingering and you know he’s sincerely sorry and wanting to send you home himself.

 

"You owe me a chocolate cake."

He cackles.

“I’ll buy you anything to make up for it.”

 

Pressing a kiss to your forehead, he squeezes your hand one last time before returning backstage.

You are about to leave when a familiar voice calls out to you. All too familiar.

 

"Soo?"

Your best friend cracks a grin.

 

"Let’s get you home."

 

You can’t ignore the way he places a hand on the small of your back. It’s not large, like Chanyeol’s.

 

 

But it’s warm, and it’s Kyungsoo.