001

Recipes for Disaster

001

Hiya! My name is Kang HyeMin. I’m a 16 year old high school student… blah blah blah and all that actual biography ish. This is a little different than a normal biography. It’s a full out High School Life story. Let’s start from the beginning shall we?

 

I had just woken up randomly at 3:19 am and turned to my side. Yawning I reached for my cell phone which had vibrated seconds after I woke up. “Morning, HyeMin! Happy first day of high school!” the text from one of my best friend read. “Morning Yeonnie, did you sleep well?” I replied only to find that my phone vibrated from MinAh texting me also. “HEY  Min! Haha that’s your name and I’m say hey. I’m funny.” Minnie’s text read. “LOL, sure you are.” I texted before sliding out of bed. I closed my eyes as my bare feet touched the ice cold wooden floor. After a quick adjustment, I silently dashed into the bathroom took a shower, brushed my teeth and washed my face.

 

I snuck down the stairs and into the kitchen and prepared myself a delicious breakfast. After I ate, I went back into my room and prepared my backpack for the day. The soft sound of shuffling could be heard through my parent’s door. I knocked on the door. “Umma? Appa? Are you awake?” I asked listening to the door. “HyeMin, come here.” Appa said his voice calm and wide awake. I pushed open the door and prayed they would say “HyeMin, you’re going to be a big sister!” I cried, no I’d die. Being an only child is how I’ve been for 14 years and that’s how I liked it. I stopped in front of my dad and looked at him, curiously. “HyeMin, you’re going to be-” I cut him off before he could finish.

 

“I don’t wanna, I like being an only child. Please umma don’t have this baby. But, don’t kill it.” They both stared at me like I was insane. “HyeMin, I’m not pregnant.” Mom said laughing slightly at my outburst. “I was going to say, you’re going to be attending KeeGi High School of Performing Arts.” Dad said smiling at me. My jaw dropped, I felt my heart drop into the depth of my stomach. I felt like dying. “Wh-what about Yeonnie a-and Minnie and KiSeok?” I felt my warm tears glide down my cheeks. KiSeok was my boyfriend during primary school, but he has little importance in the actual story… Actually he has no importance. “HyeMin calm down. Mrs. Sun told me to enroll you so that the three of you wouldn’t be separated.” Mom said.

 

But, for some odd reason the tears wouldn’t stop. “Wh-what about KiSeok?” I cried, my legs felt weak and gave in under my body weight. “HyeMin, please stop crying. KiSeok will be at school with you too.” Dad said, I looked up at him and smiled. “Jjinja?” I asked and he nodded. With my emotions in check, I stood up and went to finish my backpack. When I finished packing my backpack, I looked up at my poster of Lee Hyori. God! I love Hyori-unni she’s soo pretty! Isn’t she? *Today is the day I’ll become like you, I swear.* I promised to my poster. “HyeMin, I made you a lunch.” Dad yelled from the kitchen. “Let’s go HyeMin. I have to get to work.” Mom said impatiently “Coming!” I yelled stumbling down the stairs. I picked up my lunch and gave my dad a kiss on the cheek. “Salanghae, appa!” I yelled running out the door after my mom. We sat in the car as she applied her lipstick. After she was finished she sped off.

**Time Lapse**At KeeGi High**

I sat in the car, afraid to get out. I didn’t like trying new things and this was a new level of new for me. “Umma, can I start school tomorrow?” I asked. She shot lasers at me. An obvious no. “C’mon I’ll walk you in. If you want.” She offered smiling sweetly at me.

~~Flashback~~ 14 years ago~~

“First day of Kindergarten, HyeMin, are you excited?”  Dad asked I shook my head. “No, please take me home.” I said locking the car door. “HyeMin-ah” Umma’s voice rang sweetly from the front seat. “Would you like it if I walked in with you?” she asked I nodded, she got out of the car and opened my door. “Let’s go together.” She said reaching out for my hand. “Okay!” I said grabbing her hand.

~~Flashback end~~

I nodded and she put on her sunglasses. “Let’s go together.” She said opening her door. “Okay!” I said getting out of the car with her. We stood in front of the car looking at the school.

“Are you ready?” she asked reaching for my hand. I nodded and took her hand and we click clacked on our way. When we got close to the entrance students crowded us. “YunHa-eonni, can you sign my backpack?” one girl asked, my mom; however, pushed past the small crowd without releasing her soft grip on my hand as we stride into the school’s office. “Kang YunHa, what brings you here?” Some handsome man, I assume is a teacher, said walking up to my mother and I. “Mr. Min, I can to get my daughter a schedule, so we can be on our way and start school tomorrow.” Mom said removing her sunglasses. I gaped at her.  She’s not serious is she? I asked myself looking back at the man. “That’s fine, but why can’t she stay for today? If you don’t mind me asking?”  My mom scoffed and rolled her eyes. “She’s not ready for public schools. We have to prepare her mentally for all the other teens with lower class families.” She said softly so her voice wouldn’t carry. “Mrs. Kang, are you implying that your daughter is too good to be around less fortunate people!”  Mr. Min exclaimed catching everyone’s attention in the office. “Of course not.” My mom gasped pretending to be innocent of the “crime.” Mr. Min nodded and handed me a schedule.

“Memorize it; I’ll see you for homeroom. Go now.” He said shooing me out the door. I bowed to him and my mother. “Thank you.” I said before scampering off to my classroom. 

**In the classroom**

I stood at the front of the classroom, examining it for my friends.  *Not a sign of them.* I sighed to myself and looked at the clock. *I really hope this is their class too.* the clock ticked on and they soon appeared through the back door of the room. MinYeon waved at me and I waved back. They took their seats in the back of the class as Teacher Min walked in. “Everybody sit down.” He said firmly. I tensed up as he walked behind me. “We have a new student. This is Kang HyeMin.” Teacher Min said, I waved at the class, but they stared silently at me. “Yah, Kang HyeMin, isn’t you mom, Kang YunHa?” some boy with earphones in his ears asked. That’s Kim Jongin. I hate him! I’ll never forgive him for embarrassing me! I nodded and swallowed nervously. “So, were you born with the talent gene like her? Sing us a song.” He requested or should I say demanded taking his earbuds out. *Okay, HyeMin this is peer pressure in the real world. Unlike the dramas you’ve been in this can damage you.* “What do you want me to sing?” I asked my voice as soft as a whisper *Damn these nerves* I cursed to myself. The class turned to the boy. “Sing the first 53 seconds of ‘You and I’ by Park Bom.” He said playing the song on his phone.

“No matter what happens. Even when the sky is falling down. I'll promise you, that I'll never let you go. You naega sseureojilddae Jeoldae heundeullimeopsi. Ganghan nunbicheuro Myeotbeonigo nal ileukyeojweo. And you, na himae gyeoulddae Seulpeumeul byeolang kkeutkkaji ddo uhgimeopsi Chajawa du son japeun geudaeyegae.” I sang to the best of my ability. The classroom got tense and I stood silently. The door to the classroom slid open and everybody turned to see who it was. My eyes widen when they landed on the mystery figure.


Author's Note:

I hope you liked the first chapter of Recipe for Disaster. If you could just answer these two quick polls before exiting the story I would be very grateful. If you like please subscribe. Comments are appreciated. Thanks for reading my first fic!

-Author Kiarriia