Moving to Busan

Silence Cure, The Silent Idiot

Author's POV

  The weather is not very friendly nowadays. It was already the third week of March but yet it was rainning almost everyday. It was quite late at night, but there were still a lot of people walking around hands holding onto umbrellas, including the girl who was holding her phone on the other hand. She was typing some messages, replying the audio message sent by her father.

  Sometimes she frowned while listening to the audio message through her earphone, looks like as if she did not like the conversation.

  'Appa, I've told you I can handle this myself. I don't even feel burdened at all. Why you still want to sent me to Busan?'

  She sighed after she pressed the send button. She had been having the same conversation with her father eversince last week they signed some contract with some company in Busan. Her parents owned quite popular European styled restaurant in Seoul. That's why she could be considered to be raised in a quite rich family and was about to inherit her parents' restaurant sooner or later.

  A small vibrate from her phone made the girl quickly looked at the screen and press the play button.

  'Why not? You're just goong to a cooking school for a short time, you cold come back and continue your school after that,'

  That was the problem. Her father signed her for a cooking school in Busan. Not that she doesn't like Busan, she just don't like to socialize, especially with people not from the same place as her though it was still in Korea. She knew well that her dad sent her there just for her to socialize. She had been like this for a year from some traumatic disorder.

  'Dad, it's not like I don't talk. I just don't talk much, can't you understand? Busan people don't like Seoul people. And normal people don't like mute. Why bother sending me there?'

  She sighed and turned her phone off after seeing the sent symbol on her screen. She knew, not all Busan people don't like Seoul people, she just looking for reasons.

  She quickly arrived home and walked to her bedroom. Unfortunately her father noticed her arrival and quickly blocked her way.

  "Park Hyomun," her father called her. "Where're you going?"

  Hyomun looked up, blinked once then shrugghed.

  "Come with me," her father ordered her while walking to his office.

  The office was not spacious, but the stuffs was arranged neatly. Hyomun sat on an armchair in front of her father's desk.

  "Hyomun-ah, Kibum told me that his borther was opening a cooking class in Busan, and people there was pretty friendly. I believe you could find some good change there," her father explained. "You know, your brother and your mother will be happy seeing you back to yourself," she said. Hyomun looked straight into spaces.

  "Think about it, Hyomun-ah. I'm worried about you," her father said. "Himchan will take a good care of you."

  She knows Himchan. It was one of her childhood friend, from Daegu. He had a little brother, now living in Seoul called Kibum. But eversince she got the ill she did not get along with them anymore.

  After thinking about five minutes in silence, she finally nodded.

  Her father smiled and patted her head. "Good decision, my daughter. You'll be moving tomorrow."

 

Busan, South Korea, 11.50 KST

  It was another rainy days in Busan. The boy had been standing there for 20 minutes, tapping his umbrella to the floor. He told that his friend would be arrivung in Busan at eleven thirty.

  He opened his phone while staring at a number which had been years he did not bother to call.

  "Hyomun-ah, yeogi wasseo~~?" he sang while pressing the record button.

  He tapped his phone with his finger bored to death until he felt a soft vibrate in between his hands.

  'Eodiya?'

  He frowned. This kid, still not recovered yet.

  "Why don't talk? I'm in front of the main gate," he said to the phone.

  'I'm in front of the main gate too. what're you wearing?'

  He almost laughed when he read that. It's been years, she probably don't know the dorky silly Kim Hinchan had transformed into a handsome prince. At least that how he thought.

  "I bet you won't recognize me. Go look for the handsomest guy with pink shirt," he talked proudly.

 

Hyomun's POV

  What? Silly dork. He probably was disguising and want me to get in trouble, as always. I squinted my eyes looking for the nearest pink shirted guy. Fortunatelly not much guys are wearing pink shirt.

  What guy wearing pinks nowadays? Except Key and Himchan.

  I almost cursed when I couldn't find any guy with pink shirt. Until I spotted a guy wearing a pink shirt and white sweater over it, with a cap over his tiny head and a black mask leaving only his eyes to see. Is that Himchan? If he is, wow, he changed a lot.

  I dragged my luggage over to that guy and tapped him on the shoulder. He quickly turned to me and blinked his eyes. I pulled out my phone and typed something on it and showed it to him.

  'Kim Himchan?'

  He blinked again. Nothing came out of his mouth. But suddenly his eyes smiled apologetically.

  Okay. He probably not Kim Himchan. Himchan never had cute eye smile like that.

  I shooed my hands motioning "Nevermind." before walked away. Seriously. I don't know looking for himchan would be this embarassing!

  Kim Himchan jugetda!

 

Someone's POV

  I was waiting in front of the main gate for Himchan hyung. His car broke last week and was being repaired until next two weeks probably. So, this morning I bumped into him in our cooking house, probably because I was the only one got up so early, he asked me to drove him to the train station, to get a new student from Seoul.

  Oh. I forgot to introduce myself. Hemm, typical Jung Daehyun.

  Yeah, I'm Jung Daehyun. Wondering why I attend this cooking school? My parents own a traditional Korean Restaurant, not so big but quite popular in our town. My great granpa was the founder, it makes me the fourth generation, since my elder brother had chosen his life path to be a doctor. So, I was transferred to this school after my parents heard about it, it's quite new in Busan, my hometown.

  I'm interested in cooking anyway. I respect my elder so much, I want to please my parents. Because I know I'm not that braniac kind of son, but at least I know manners and I'm willing to study. I'm stupid, sometimes, but I'm not dumb.

  I was wondering who will be the new student. Male? Female? I don't know. Himchan hyung just told me she or he was kind of special student? Rich? Probably. But Isn't it strange, someone who rich learning how to cook in Busan instead of French or Italy? Except their parents were running a business like my parents do, of course.

  I frowned, and keep guessing until I felt a poke on my shoulder.

  Himchan hyung, probably. Why that big mouth man didn't call me and tapped my shoulder inste-

  I blinked when I saw a young lady behind me. She lost?

  Suddenly she pulled out her handphone and typing something into it. She doesn't talk?! She doesn't look like mute, probably because I've never meet one before.

  She shoved her phone showing it to me. And what she type made me confused more.

  She is looking for Himchan hyung? Or another Kim Himchan?

  I was about to ask her wether she was the new student or not. But she shooed at me and walked away. Hah? What's that about?

  I frowned and continue my daydream for another ten minutes and grew bored when I heard a loud familiar voice shouting my name from afar.

  "JUNG DAEHYUN!" Himchan sang while waving his hand, another hand helping a girl with her luggage. Wait. Freaking wait. I knew that girl!

  "She's.....?" I mumbled, sound muffled by the mask I wore. That girl is the girl that mute and she was with Himchan!.

  The special student is a mute?

***

  Sheez! My car was full of awkwardness. I mean AWKWARDNESS. Himchan hyung kept talking asking her questions. Most of them was yes-no questions, and was answered only by nods or shaking her head. And for another answer like "What do you like to cook?" or another open question, only answered by her stare, or blinks. And me either, I was naturally a bit clumsy shy kid, and don't fool around and like silence and peace. But I talk. I was nearly asking if she was mute, but I have no courage to do that.

  We now arrived at a not so so big building made of wood. Well, we live here. I mean all of the students and the teachers live here. In fact, there are only a few students and three teachers, including Himchan himself.

  I helped the new student with her luggage as a gentleman. I dragged it along the way inside. As soon as I got in I shouted "I'm home!" and put on my slippers. It was sunday so we have no classes.

  "Daehyun-ah, take her to her room," said Himchan. I nodded and brought her upstairs where girls are supposed to live. And actually there are just four rooms in the second floor, and fortunately there are just four girls here. Room 201 was owned by my cousin, Jung Eunji, who was recommended as chef and will work along with me. Room 202 was a girl named Choi Jinri, she was the youngest among the other students. Room 203 was actually lived by a girl who was now not avaible, she was in a comma months ago and was doing treatment in the hospital, and she will back soon, I think. Due to some memory-lost she could not attend the school. It seems like she won't attend this school anymore.

  Now we were standing in front of room 204. Well this room had been empty eversince God-knows-when, and Himchan hyung asked me and another boys to clean this room yesterday. Now it was ready to  use~

  "Ahem," I gulped when I felt sore on my throat. "This....is your room. Umm... The other girls were out probably - they always been out every weekends- and if you need help, maybe you could look for me.....upstairs. Room 304, right above yours."

  Silence.

  Oh. Don't tell me she was deaf...

  She nodded in response. I finally breathed after I held my breath unconciously. Why did I held them anyway? Nevermind.

  "Umm...," okay, this is awkward. "Then...welcome and...bye..?" I cracked a smile. She only looked at me blinking.

  Oh, she won't see you smiling idiot! You were wearing a mask!

  I then turned around and walking away from the room. I just felt like being dumped by a girl.

 

Author's POV

  After she heard a soft click from the door after being closed, she sighed.

  What a weird masked guy.

  She was unknowingkly being so anxious - sometimes it's naturally happened whenever she got to an unknown place or feeling lost. She then shook her head and started unpacking. She did not bring much. But because her house was out of the town she still bring much than the other students do.

  She heard a soft knock from the door and a black haired Himchan's head popped in.

  "Umm... Hyomun-ah can you help me preparing for dinner?" he asked. Hyomun blinked at him, frowning, hesitated for a bit. She could not cook well aside from dessert.

  Himchan also frowned at the mouth-hanging-open Hyomun. She did seems like she wanted to say something. But nothing's coming out.

  "Erm.. honestly only you and Daehyun left here. The others haven't come back. And they will be back at six - because it was in the rules," he explained. "But if you don't want to it's o-"

  He stopped when suddenly Hyomun stood up while nodding. He smiled when she walked passed him. He hope she wouldn't feel burdened.

***

  Daehyun was boring knocking his fingers to the counter table, while his other hand was under his chin. Himchan told him to buy groceries twenty minutes ago. And he already done with it five minutes ago but Himchan was not in the kitchen so he decided to wait for him there.

  He was startled when the plastic bag in front of him was pulled by someone.

  What is she doing here?

  Hyomun turned her head at him when she felt someone was staring at her. She then take another bag and give it to him, pointing to the refrigerator. Daehyun still looking at her, confused.

  He held out the bag and looked at her. Put this in the refrigerator?

  She nodded.

  Daehyun snickered while walking to the refrigerator. Ridiculous, how we didn't talk but still communicating.

  "Daehyun? You're back already?" Himchan popped out of nowhere. Daehyun just nodded still putting the groceries into the refrigerator. "Good. Now what should we cook?"

  Himchan looked at the two people on front of him who were just raising both their shoulder. Himchan sighed. He should learn how to deal with people who strangely doesn't talk.

***

  Ding.. Dong..

  All of them looked up, wait, except Daehyun actually, who was busy with himself. Himchan who was putting the dinner on the table then put off his apron and place it near the chair.

  "Hyomun-ah, take the kimchi out. It's in the refrigerator, I think," he said while walking to the main door.

  Hyomun frowned, while walking to the kitchen, opening the refrigerator, looking for kimchi.

  "Yellow," she jumped when she heard someone voiced - who was none other than Jung Daehyun. "It's the yellow one. In the yellow box. Kimchi," he said, unclearly, not looking up to her nor helping her.

  Rude. And freak.

  She pouted while taking out the yellow box and place it on the table.

  "We're home!" said some people in unison. The two could heard footsteps which became louder.

  "What's the dinner, hyung?"

  "Look what we had for you and Daehyun!"

  "Poor Daehyunnie, could not come along with us.."

  "Oh. Hi! You must be the new student!"

  With that, Hyomun turned around and saw few people standing in front of  her. One of them stands right in front of her, a quite tall girl, smiled and held out her hand. "Choi Jinri. Nice to meet you."

  Wrong move, Jinri.

  Silence. Like how Himchan and Daehyun predicted. Hyomun looked at her hand for God-knows-how-long, before hesitatedly held it.

  But still nothing's coming out from her fully clapsed mouth.

  "What's your name?" Jinri asked, confused.

  Another wrong move, Jinri.

  Himchan and Daehyun now probably mentally facepalming.

  "Jinri, this is Hyomun. She does not-"

  "She's mute," Daehyun cut Himchan's line. Not knowing Hyomun already silently stabbing his back with death glare. She was not mute. Just doesn't talk!

  "R-really?" Jinri asked, surprised.

  "Ehh...," Himchan looked at Hyomun who still glaring at the insensitive Daehyun. "Actually, no. She just doesn't talk."

  "Why?" Eunji who was very curious asked out loud.

  "Personal problem, Eunji." Himchan said. "Now, let's just eat!' he continued.

  All of them take their seat and start to eat.

  'Why doesn't she talk?' Jungs thought to themselves.

***

  They were all sitting in the living room, just like families. Hyomun herself sitting on the sofa hugging her legs while eyes glued on TV. She was all focused, even when the plae beside her shifted.

  "Hi," Eunji voiced out to get her attention. Hyomun turned her head to see the smiling Eunji. "I'm Eunji. Jung Eunji."

  Hyomun nodded. And gave Euji a hint of surprise. She was glad Hyomun could respond her.

  "Eh..I'm Jung Daehyun's cousin," she said. The mention of Daehyun made Hyomun squinted her eyes, frowning.

  The strange. Rude boy.

  Eunji who was noticing her frown quickly added, "He sometimes talk bluntly. But he actually nice. Don't be mad..ne?"

  Hyomun looked at Eunji, three seconds before she noddded and looked back at the screen.

  "Then, that oppa- oh! Wait! How old are you?" Euji asked, expecting her to say something.

  She became more confused when seeing Hyomun ignoring her question and taking out er phone instead. She was about to ask her again when Hyomun shoving the phone to her.

  17.

  Eunji got surprised again. Ah, this girl talk wit phone.

  "You're younger than Jinri!" Eunji smiled. "That oppa is Jonghyun oppa, Lee Jonghyun. And that one playing computer is Ahn Jaehyo. The one listening to music is Park Cheondung. All oppas. And I'm eonni. Jinri too!" Eunji said. Hyomun nodded again while mentally rememering their name.

  Maybe Busan is not as bad as what she thought?